Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Hello thread, I worked at Arenanet for a while and then I didn't for a while and now I do again. I hope you like our video game.

Heh, same here. Been back like two months now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Studio posted:

Devs posting in a thread for a game they work on? sounds scary

I was around for the original incarnation of this thread way back when we did the prerelease beta events, and have fond memories of doing some wvw with some goons when nobody really had any idea what we were doing. Dunno who’s still around from those days.

I said come in! posted:

Only around 3000 people used the Steam client today. ArenaNet did the bare minimum to bring GW2 to Steam, and didn't market it at all. With no official way to use your already existing account, i'm not really sure why anet bothered.

TBF, that looks more like the concurrent player count I’m seeing on steamdb - not total - so it wasn’t quite that low.

chglcu fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 24, 2022

chglcu
May 17, 2007

where the red fern gropes posted:

you basically run into a bunch of characters that aren't dead so you know they won't die in the story up to that point (except a few that are missing, but that doesn't mean anything)

otherwise the only Major Spoiler™ is the name of the water elder dragon, which... has zero bearing on anything because it's just their name. unless you count scarlet but season 1 sucks rear end and so does she, she dies at the end of it gently caress scarlet

IIRC, If you talk to people more than the bare minimum in that intro mission, it does spoil quite a bit more than that, like the endings of the base game and the previous expansions and some other random living world stuff. I’m not sure how much of it is avoidable.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Goddamn achievement monster keeps spawning inside the walls or underneath the world and so I have to listen to 10 minutes of Taimi being 'clever' everytime I want to try it again and it is pissing me off.

e: sweet, this time it didn't spawn somewhere but just suddenly became invincible and disappeared

Which map/monster is this? Might as well at least get a bug entered for it if we don't already have one.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Yeah, once you reach the cap you need to spend some to claim more.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

whydirt posted:

Aren’t you capped at 3 of the 4 anyway?

I believe (could be wrong, haven’t actually used the Wizard’s Vault without dev cheat commands in a while) that you can complete and get rewards for all 4, you just only need 3 for the big daily reward.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm currently playing an engineer, but I'm only level 12 so its not really meaningfully different from other less complicated classes currently.

Still very playable and doesn't chew up a ton of power or anything.

If you give it a shot make sure to check the "auto login" checkbox on the launcher because that thing absolutely chugs for some weird reason. Runs way worse than the game itself oddly.

code:
-autologin -provider Portal
For your launch option will let you log in with your arenanet creds then skip it going forward if you don't have a steam account.

The “-provider Portal” bit is only necessary if launching from Steam. As a warning, it will prevent access to any content bought through Steam, as Portal (first party anet accounts) and Steam accounts are separate.

e: Separate as in they’re different accounts. Steam and Portal users still play together on the same servers.

chglcu fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 10, 2023

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I feel bad for the work from home devs, at the end is a random message from management that they will all be meeting in the offices face to face.

Why would the players care to know that?

Just FYI, this was not mandatory, just a time for people who wanted to meet and hang in person. Remote workers aren’t being forced to come in, and the activities are being done in a way where those who don’t can participate, where reasonable. There was also months of notice beforehand. I’m not going in myself, since I can’t stand air travel.

So far anet seems pretty committed to allowing remote work. Hopefully it stays that way.

As someone else said, it was likely just mentioned to explain any lessened communication.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Yeah, those are potentially valid concerns, and if it becomes a frequent thing, I might start to worry. As a one off, this one doesn't have me concerned, though. For the moment, I don't see an RTO coming, largely because we've gotten a lot of good people who previously left back due to remote work. Companies do stupid stuff all the time though, so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Lordshmee posted:

Well, I said to hell with it, and downloaded the Steam client and it… worked just fine. So, ok then.

My guess is there was something screwy with your dat file. AFAIK everything about the steam client is identical to the normal client, but installing would download a new dat.

edit: Also possible our CDN is missing some of the files required to patch up your old version and getting the new dat already had newer versions of the problem files.

chglcu fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 4, 2024