Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

tempest shouts kinda kick rear end now and staff weaver is benching 38k. balance has truly been restored to tyria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

bagrada posted:

I made a norn male with a bowl haircut and a dumb expression intending to see what they get from the makeover kits but now I love the doofus as he is. I think I want to make him a druid and go follow the WvW crowd around.

While looking at skins I found there is a barefoot appearance for each armor weight and there are tons of the market but they are all thousands of gold (~$100 worth of gems). Apparently they are from a HoT treasure mushroom you can only see if you have the nuhoch stealth detection mastery.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Reliquary_of_the_Raven_Ceremonial_Sandals are cheap and will get you 90% of the way to barefoot

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

CODChimera posted:

new expansion seems a lot more cool and interesting than I expected. the over fishing event was amusing, and you can get ascended versions of the class specific accessories which is probably not worth the effort but i'm still gonna get them. the thief shadow is super fun

anyone got a gen 3 legendary? i haven't looked into them too much yet but they don't seem great?

The big appeal of the gen 3is that, once you craft the base Aurene version, you can do smaller collections to unlock variations based on every elder dragon, each with a unique skin, new projectiles, new on kill effects etc.

Those variations are being rolled out over time but so far iirc the Zhaitan, Mordremoth, Kralk are all in wo far

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Palawa Jokowns

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

next expansion could pick up where the last gw1 xpac was set to go, with the chronomancers and stuff.

commander gets hurled back in time through the mists to the rise of Joko but instead of trying to save Elona, they realize Joko must succeed in order to preserve the future victory over the elder dragons and the commander becomes his most trusted champion and advisor, conquering the region as a member of the awakened court, all so one day 250 years from now Joko survives to get eaten by Aurene, ensuring her victory over Kralkatorrik

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

eonwe posted:

I haven't played this in forever, god drat there is a lot to to do

I finished my personal story but promptly make a herald and made it level 80, clicks with me better.

So I think my plans are:

1. Finish the story
2. Work on Fractals and getting agony resist
3. Level up WvW and especially get my Warclaw mount
4. Figure out how to make money so I can level up crafting easier

I did skip living world season 1 and 2, but I think I'm going to go back to them eventually. I just really wanted to get the glider.

Now that you have a level 80 the easiest things to do just to get some liquid gold in your bank are:

Do your daily quests every day--you get a flat 2 gold for finishing these and it's stuff like "do any 4 events in Mt Maelstrom" or "view any vista in the Orr region." They'll guide you towards map completion and put some extra materials in your pocket along the way.

Fight Tequatl the Sunless once a day. It's a fun huge world boss, our guilds do it together every day at reset which is a big party, and drops another couple flat gold on top of whatever drops you get.

Fractals will be good gold as you progress. You can also honestly just hop into your bank/material storage and sell any materials you aren't using right now. You'll net a ton of gold and you can always buy them back the same way later on.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

jokes posted:

Touch of Madness is also like 8g on the TP. I wonder if the .... white one will be similarly cheap.

In any event, halloween events are good value and pretty fun.

The white one is very expensive/requires you to grind out many corn cobs, unfortunately. it owns though and i use it on my guardian

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Now gimme a trait that makes you hang in the air for 10 seconds.

Vindicator pacifist run.

stay in the air for as long as you hold down the dodge button imo

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

jokes posted:

The farther along I get into the 1-80 story as a Sylvari, the more I realize that Sylvari is the correct and intended race for the player. Human personal story is stupid bullshit comparatively.

Looking forward to (re-doing) Heart of Thorns, and definitely 100% am going to do the caladbolg collection afterwards.

Sylvari get a bunch of unique dialogue and stuff in HoT, it’s definitely the “correct” way to play

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Game would be way better if charr were just actual, non anthropomorphic house cats. No question.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

fast cars loose anus posted:

they had the first 2 xpacs half off today so I grabbed that and got a mount, which is cool. Let me make sure I have this right:

Different MOUNTS can be earned through various quests and such things in the world?

Different SKINS for the mounts you have come from the pay store?

Correct

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Bobfly posted:

I'm sorry for continuing the How To Play discussion if you all feel like the subject is done, but I feel like such a fish out of water.

I've played a LOT of FF14, where all the complexity is in the rotations, and none in the character building. So I think I'm misunderstanding how combat works, I've been pretty much hitting everything on cooldown with my baseline mesmer, mostly only holding off on things if I need them to kite, interrupt, or the like. But it feels so weird to do that!
Can anyone help me get into the right mindset of how to approach skills and rotations in this game? It feels (and I could be wrong) like every guide or there begins and ends with the build, as if how to actually play is self-evident once the right talents and runes are in place. And it might be, but it hasn't clicked yet, and I feel so dumb!

Rotations are hugely important, and while there are certainly some simpler 4-5 button builds or priority based rotations in the game for certain classes, Mesmer in particular is really badly suited to hitting everything off cooldown (the Virtusoso elite spec at level 80 is a bit more straightforward and was explicitly added as a less confusing Mesmer option.)

I’d recommend starting with this guide for base Mesmer:

https://snowcrows.com/guides/professions/introduction-to-mesmer

In particular, pay attention to the nuances of clones versus phantasms versus illusions and try to, on a holistic level, consider your build and rotation around whether you are trying to deal power, or direct, damage, or condition, or damage over time, damage, and specialize.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

the bunny helmet is great design. works for cute, cartoon-y looks but just as easily works for a Hotline Miami styled serial killer

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

Good deal! It has to explain at least a little bit more. Right? RIGHT??? :v: Any suggestion on a profession?My current level 80 is an engineer and I’m thinking about going to my GW1 roots and being an elementalist. But necromancer looks near as well

Also good advice!

FWIW Elementalist and Engineer are generally held to be the most complicated and difficult classes in this game, and I should note Ele is pretty different from it’s GW1 incarnation.

Necro on the other hand is generally recommended for beginners. It’s an extremely forgiving class to level and learn on that has some very nice newbie crutches in the form of pets to aggro for you and a whole second health bar and some nice built in sustain. At endgame it has a nice variety of viable builds—variety not just in role but in basic play-style, which is nice. None of them are really top tier and it’s been that way for a while, but a well-played one is always welcome and balance shifts pretty dramatically with patches, generally.

All that being said, Ele is my favorite class and my main so if you find it vibing with you then hell yeah, take obe to 80

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The Best Map, on the other hand, is Grothmar Valley

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Is hammer fire camp tempest gonna be the new brain-off spec for ele?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

luv ridin me skimmer under water

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I’m curious what changes we’ll see from the beta. Dagger Mirage stood out to me because they gave it a condition damage ambush skill, but the base dagger kit has zero condition damage on it. Virtuoso gets 100% of it’s bleeding from taking that one trait in the elite spec.

It could go a few ways—maybe they’ll do something like combine dagger bleeding with that core pistol bleed trait that is mostly unused, or pivot to support for power mirage in PvE.

Most likely it just stays useless, I guess

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

It’s bullshit that we didn’t get underwater weapons on land with weaponmastery. Bullshit!!!!

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

More violets, I say. Less violence.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Mech was so popular they couldn’t nerf it’s numbers badly enough that it wasn’t still dominant. They had to make it mechanically more annoying to play lol

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Old Boot posted:

Scourge I couldn't get into on the basis that the million f-keys aren't viable on a controller set-up without actually paying for a whole program, and I'm not devoted enough to DPS to make the switch from core Condi/Minion. I can still kill things with relative ease running with pistol/dagger and when the power players get shredded I'll be there to pick their asses back up.

I'd be pissed as hell if I was playing Scourge tho. Whole list reads like 'we heard someone somewhere was having fun in PvE, and we simply cannot have that.'

Also, question: per the discussion on the fancy stats, does Expertise actually matter or is it a fake stat I should ignore, because I have been switching between Carrion and Viper sets to see if I can spot the difference and I honestly cannot.

Expertise is huge to the point it can flat out double the damage done by your DoTs when fully invested. Playing a condi build without it is comparable damage wise to playing a power build and just not getting any crit chance

The big caveat is that trash dies quickly enough that you won’t really feel the difference. But against content that lives for more than a few seconds you need it

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

My big problem with quickness is really just that all the new weapons added with elite specs and such are obviously designed with perma quickness as their baseline speed, and tend to feel awful without it

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Iymarra posted:

Weird question, can anyone think of a heavy armour headpiece / appearance that can be applied to a heavy headpiece that looks like a cloth veil or face covering beyond the initial one or two revenant veils? One of the light pieces is the eyemask which I'm trying to replicate but..heavy.

Corsair Helmet is a Tuareg style cloth headwrap. Dragonscale Headress is similar but with a dragon mask attached. The new Rift Hunter helm from the SotO story is a mask that looks a bit like some light armor pieces. Those are all achievement rewards

You can also pick up a bandana tied around your face skin for like 40s on the the TP, Adventurer’s Scarf

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

if there’s gonna be an even mix of support weapons to dps weapons in the new batch it was an odd fuckin choice to preview every single support weapon immediately and back to back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The Mirage ambush skill on rifle looks awesome but sounds fairly worthless, boon-wise, which is a shame