Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I was hoping for a sale on EoD with the anniversary, guess I have to pay full price if I want to play with jade bots :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

If you want to get all the lore and so on from the story, finish the original personal story before you start with living world season 1. That said, season 1 isn't fully rereleased yet, so you'll want to watch the recap thing after you finish the missions.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Warrior is pretty bland. Revenant is better and flashier.

I loved warrior for years (still the only character I've done map completion with) because I could go anywhere and do anything and still be extremely survivable, but renegade/herald are both so much fun that over the last 2 years it's been by far my most played character, and the only one I've actually completed all the story up to EoD with.

I've been running dual swords the entire time, and it just looks so much cooler than warrior with two swords.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Mohawk Potato posted:

So I’m loving greatsword Mesmer and sword pistol Mesmer are those good or am I setting myself up for future disappointments? Also cooking discovery decently fun as I try to hunt down new ingredients.

Axe/Torch is a lot of fun.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Eeyo posted:

I've got one mount skin that I'm sure I didn't pay for, so I think they might have given away a random pick mount skin before. Either that or it came from a black lion chest I opened with a free key.

That's how I got the hummingbird, from a chest I opened after I opened a chest with a random drop key.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ort posted:

I just unlocked my skyscale two weeks ago and was so pumped to get to upgrade it with a sweet skin, so many choices. I chose starscale because I love space and moon and star cosmetic stuff, but it was a hard choice.

I was so tempted to get that one, it was a hard choice. If they weren't :20bux: worth of gems I'd definitely buy a mount select license to get that one too.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ort posted:

Picked the Lyssa outfit from the free box and am immediately regretting it. So hard choosing with all of these free cosmetics!

I thought the Lyssa one worked really well on a Norn, but I also hide the helmet. I was considering Marjory's too, which I think would work well with the hood though.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Luggage posted:

This was the lead dev's statement regarding a "Mechanist too strong" thread on Reddit two days ago:
[...] To address the issue at hand, yes, we're keenly aware of the mechanist incursion. To reference my balance forum post from Aug 18, it certainly seems to be 'dominating the meta'. No details to share today, just wanted to let y'all know we're looking into it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/x6ph69/comment/in9879t

I finally bought EoD, so Mechanist getting nerfed would make me sad, because it's actually really fun to play. I'm not even that good at it, using a mix of rares and exotics, and still getting between 5-9k dps (I installed arcdps because I was curious).

My Elementalist is pretty consistently 6k dps in full exotics, which is also on the super low end, but I'm not using any buffs other than the free birthday food. It's a lot more work to play, and while fun, it's kind of disheartening to see how much lower damage it is for so much more work.

My super chill warrior build is 3k dps

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Specifically, try to fit in the "fish 4 times in x location" daily, doesn't even have to be a fishing hole, just catch something 4 times, takes a minute, it can regularly reward some ascended fish meat worth 20s each or a ambergris worth 2g.

Wait, you don't have to fish in the fishing spots? I've tried to do the fishing daily a couple of times, the first few times the areas had 700 required power (when I have 150), and then the last time I tried it said Heart of Maguuma, and I couldn't find a single fishing hole anywhere in any of the maps.

It also sure would be nice to see the required fishing level in game before I try and fish, because the only place I've found so far with a reasonable fishing level is in Shing Jea, which has been anywhere from 0-200 power, but until you start trying to reel them in you don't know what it is.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Organza Quiz posted:

Or take the juggernaut trait and stay in flamethrower forever. Not the most efficient but the only way I played engi before holosmith came around.

This is exactly what my four engineers did. Three of them are parked at jumping puzzles now though, while the fourth is running around with a mech working through the EoD story.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

there's a lot of easily soloable HPs in the PoF maps once you have the three basic mounts, you'll probably get pretty deep into your elite just picking them up on the side as you do the story

EoD also has a bunch of them that don't require fighting anyone, although it requires getting at least one character through the story to get the Arborstone portal scroll to toss in a shared inventory slot. Or just use a Teleport to Friend stone, and go to one of the commanders that is always parked at the Kaineng JP.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I've barely touched Bladesworn, but it required me to stand still and not move, which sucks when fighting anything that drops red puddles.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I've never used Scholar runes, because the being above 90% health damage bonus seems difficult to consistently hit if you're not in an organized group with a healer.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

That map looks a lot like a person laying down with their head on the left and their feet hanging off the edge of the mission map on the right.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

That's such a lovely change, the only reason to use rifle Deadeye is the range, because the sustained damage sure wasn't there.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I did a couple of dragon response missions last night with some goons, and they were actually fun and easy and I'd do them again in a heartbeat.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

I'd really like it if you could swap jade bot parts without schlepping all the way to Cantha.

Guild Hall

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Who else keeps the arborstone teleport in their shared slots because they aren't gonna pay 10 silver for a waypoint?

Every season book, the Gendarren airship scroll, and Arborstone. Also the boss stones for core and Maguuma (not sure if there are other ones), and a stack of teleport stones.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

That's a really good list, but some of those times feel extremely short, especially for a new player. There is no way you're doing the Ember Bay Token Collector in 1-2 hours for instance, and then there are ones like the Mark Y Golem, where it says 10-30 minutes per day, plus maybe waiting for some events. Sure, the actual fighting part might only be 30 minutes (usually a lot more), but you are going to spend multiple hours per day trying to spawn the events, and getting groups together for the ones that need them (Deadhouse, Serpent's Ire, Zohaqan, etc).

It's a really good list like I said, but I would double or triple the time estimates, maybe even quadruple.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

big cummers ONLY posted:

I'm loving this game but I cannot keep a main for the life of me. Everything is neat and I can't decide on a major. Necro, Mech, and Warrior have all been amazing. It is a good time logging in and doing hearts but I'm hoping I don't burn out from being unable to decide on someone to stick with.

If you're enjoying Necro, try Harbinger. It gets rid of your bonus shroud life pool in exchange for a lot of damage, and permanent quickness/fury/25 stacks of might.

Plus you get a cool green pistol for unlocking the class.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Bobfly posted:

what is the best way to handle the situation with clones dying with the target?

Isn't there a trait that causes them to explode in a small aoe when they expire? It's not going to be full damage, but it would help you get something from them at least.

Virtuoso I've barely touched, but it's a much more relaxed version of the Mesmer. Instead of clones you have blades, which you keep even out of combat. If you get a chance to unlock it, maybe give it a try?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Adhesive Gamin posted:

'clone death' traits got removed about 7 years ago, you might be thinking of Necromancer's Death Nova.

I guess it's been a long time since I really looked at Mesmer traits.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Found out you get the champ boxes in story missions too, that was a nice bonus for trying to get some return to achievements.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

whydirt posted:

Core maps also have 2-4x the density of waypoints of those in expansion content.

And as mentioned movespeed runes, traits, signets and swiftness from skills and sigils were all highly important in open world and even WvW until mounts came around.

I still have Runes of the Traveler on half my characters

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

OhFunny posted:

I have a question on Elite Specializations.

Should I hold off on them until I get enough Hero Points to unlock all the traits in the spec?

There are a couple that you want to make sure you can unlock the first two things on, like Virtuoso. I swapped to it as soon as I had it unlocked without any additional points, and I kept my regular clones but lost my F1 skill until I was able to get enough points to unlock the first minor trait.

I think Scourge was the same, I lost my shroud but couldn't actually create shades.

Basically, make sure you can unlock the first minor trait before you swap, everything after that can come later. It'll be more difficult than unlocking it all at once, but it's still fun to get something new finally and start playing with it.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

My dream Ele (aside from the total rework that I want) would be dual Pistol or Rifle.

Magical guns are so much fun.

Dual pistols, but instead of normal attunements it's something like the Harbinger shroud where the longer you stay with a given element the more damage you do. Or maybe add in Arcane as a new elemental attunement type instead of a skill type?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Swimsuit Faren is the only mini anyone needs.

Pirate Quaggan is pretty drat adorable though.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The Gendaran airship is nice for hanging out and playing bank tetris and then noticing chat telling people to go to a waypoint for the ley line and a free mystic coin.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

my mesmer gripe is i wish mirage could offhand axe, i like how axes look dual wielded

Hell yeah. I use the Nightmare Axe on mine, and having two of them would look great.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Deformed Church posted:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en-gb/news/combat-in-guild-wars-2-secrets-of-the-obscure/

Elite spec weapons without having to equip the traitline/spec itself, through "Weaponmaster Training" which they don't describe at all. Plus a few new skills to cover cases where mechanics are mutually exclusive.

Also, runes are going to just have stats and the special effects will be on a new "relic" slot so you can get cool effects without being tied to lovely stats.

Also they will be introducing new weapons without a full spec in a later patch:

Guardian: Pistol (main and off hand)
Revenant: Scepter (main hand)
Warrior: Staff
Engineer: Short bow
Ranger: Mace (main and off hand)
Thief: Axe (main hand)
Elementalist: Pistol (main hand)
Mesmer: Rifle
Necromancer: Sword (main and off hand)

Well, poo poo I guess I have to buy this expansion. I was planning on waiting like I did with all the others, but being able to run things like a greatsword/short bow Revenant sounds so much fun.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Are you going to need to craft the new legendaries? I thought they were going to be achievement based like the amulet, which is the only one I'm the least bit close to finishing because it doesn't require crafting anything.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Wuxi posted:

What zone would you put your house in if you could chose?

Harathi Hinterlands for me for sure. Lorna's Pass would be the closest contender

Southsun so that every time I walk out the front door I get eaten by karkas

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I have 15 points from logging in 3 times so it's not something I'm going to get any time soon, but if you do get one of those legendary jump start boxes, what else do you need to then make it?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

jokes posted:

A celestial greatsword on a warrior, for example, is stupid and bad.

But it looks cool and that's all that matters:

(https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crystal_Guardian)

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Is there a good guide on how to make the crafting profession numbers go up?

It seems like it's very expensive based on how certain levels you make just one thing at a time or in a certain order

https://gw2crafts.net/

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

boho posted:

ANet has expressed interest in fixing the fact that the gap between pubbies and Snowcrows is 1000%-2000% effectiveness (DPS). A WoW raid finder group versus cutting edge Mythic raiders is more like 30-40%.

Oh, it's much more than that. I pulled out an old character I hadn't played in years, and arcdps had me doing 1200 dps. The benchmark for that class was 36k. I had crappy runes, crappy equipment, the wrong weapons for the build, and a bad build in general.

When I join random world boss squads, the top 10 players are usually doing 10-20k, and then it drops rapidly down to sub 1k at the bottom. Some of that will be players not in the right spot to consistently attack, but there are a lot of people that just don't do much damage.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Figured as much, issue with the email is that it was a one off created for GW2 and at some point Google turned on 2FA for it thing to a work phone I lost when I got laid off during Covid.

Maybe I'll just play for a bit without picking up the last two expansions and if I'm feeling it again ill pick up a new account during the holiday sales.

I just had to get my MFA reset a few days ago when I lost my phone, it was really fast and easy through support. It took them about 90 minutes once I sent in details

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I'm one achievement away from my first legendary, the amulet. It's pretty awesome to be able to finally get one. As a part of getting all those achievements I'm done with all but the Xunlai Ingots part of Aurora, and about 2/3rds of the way through Vision. And then I bought SotO, so now I have a legendary starter kit.

So I'm about to be rolling in legendaries, except they all need lots of fractals and WvW that I haven't really touched. I don't have a consistent time I can play every week, but are there any groups that do intro to WvW? I know there are occasionally babby Fractal groups, and worst case I can always spend a ton of gold and buy the matrixes, but the Gift of Battle requires the WvW mastery track.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Mattavist posted:

i’m trying this game again after like 10 years. i haven’t played any expansions, but think I want to be a Willbender. Should I skip to that expansion or just start at the first one?

If you're manually leveling from 1, you can just start at the beginning. The normal level rewards will give you 398 skill points, which is exactly enough to fully unlock your class at level 80. From random skill points you earn as you explore the core map you can earn at most 200, and you'll need 250 to fully unlock Willbender. You'll need to pick up the extra 50 points from some of the expansion maps, and EoD is probably the easiest. If you own it, you might be able to use a teleport to friend to get to Arborstone (which has 10 hero points inside), and then walk out the gate to Kaineng. There are a couple of easy to access hero points there that won't require spoiling the story, which would be enough to fully unlock Willbender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

why are legendaries good?

Best damage/stats in the game on par with ascended gear, but it can be used on all your characters at the same time and in any stat combination you want.