Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 24, 2011

a builds section in the OP would be neat with some starter builds like rifle mechanist or power reaper or untamed

Aug 24, 2011

Aug 24, 2011

Lordshmee posted:

Mesmer supremacy! Axe Mirage is still the funnest build of any class in any mmo I’ve ever played.

good taste detected :hfive:

Aug 24, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah I'm not gonna stick around with any game where my face has to be glued to a cooldown bar.

If they insist on that level of complexity but don't allow macros, they can go gently caress themselves.
Additional complexity is not good design and does not actually reward skill.

Making it so that people have to read the battles and respond appropriately is skill-based design that lots of MMOs don't do.

It's not rewarding, imo, to memorize a "perfect" rotation for optimal DPS and only do that until the death of the universe.

this is why i played axe mirage in raids/fractals for so long, all the damage was tied to dodging, and it made the whole game really fun and fluid because you gained damage by paying attention to the game and avoiding attacks without interrupting your flow

the only time i needed to check my cooldowns was whether i had enough energy left or if i needed to swap weapons. that was it

Aug 24, 2011

Humerus posted:

Griffon owns in Drizzlewood for the boss rush at the end of South meta.

griffon skin from the free mount skin choice gift is really good if you're doing this because it makes your griffon model load in instantly

Aug 24, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

And have some loading screen art and Kaineng load screens.

these are great please keep posting these

this one hits a ton of thematic notes

Aug 24, 2011

hopefully season 1 finale will un-destroy old lion's arch

Aug 24, 2011

xgalaxy posted:

So I’ve kind of wanted to get back into this.

I played a lot when it first came out. Lost interest after about a year. Skipped Heart of Thorns.
Came back to the game for Path of Fire launch and took a week off to play it and rushed and got the griffon in like 2 days of poop socking.
And quickly burned myself on it again. I lasted maybe a month.
So that was … drat.. almost 5 years ago now?

Anyway. I loaded up the game just to figure out what the gently caress I’ve got.
I’m sitting on like 8 level 80s with gear all over the place and a poo poo load of items and crafting materials in my inventory I don’t even remember what they are for.
And I’m feeling pretty overwhelmed by it all.

I have a ton of level character to 80 tomes I could use and "start fresh" but I really don’t want to have to unlock all these waypoints again.
Really wish there was a class change gem store item I could use. I have a character that has 100% map completion in vanilla and pof zones but I really don’t want to play that class anymore.

just play engineer -> mechanist

Aug 24, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

e2: something has got scrapper players riled up. Looks like a few guardian nerfs.

scrapper is a super mobile build because of superspeed and part of that is moving around with your gyros

but they're changing them to ground targeted instead of following your character. it sucks they'll probably revert it (i hope)

Aug 24, 2011

Lpzie posted:

Wow, just got back into the game. Been playing for a few weeks. It's fun. So much to do. And the Wiki has been a big help in getting me back on my feet. However, there doesn't seem to be an entry for this one location I recently found. Any thoughts? Might be a spoiler so I'll hide it.

christ, my subconscious told me what this was but my conscious brain kept dismissing it

Aug 24, 2011

Mode 7 posted:

I’m riddled with indecision about what profession to play. What should I play assuming I likely don’t have the attention span to make alts and want to get an experience that’s fun, frictionless, and showcases unique stuff GW2 does well as opposed to other MMOs? Short time from start to “fun” and variety of play styles a plus.

easymode: engineer with the mechanist elite spec

unique: mesmer, especially the mirage elite spec while using an axe. it takes some learning, doesn't click with everyone and the damage is nowhere near what it used to be, but there's nothing like it for sheer fluidity of play. i reiterate the damage is not good anymore though

variety: make alts lol

Aug 24, 2011

your typical group zerg, under an organised commander, wants a bunch of support roles filled to keep everyone alive. these commanders will then 'deathball' (cluster everybody close together to maintain boons and healing on as many people as possible) and try to roll over other groups

mag is a bunch of people who don't have fixed schedules for wvw groups, meaning they run whenever they want, can't be guaranteed support from external players, and are collectively on their own. this forces them to run solo builds that can pull their own weight, and have the skill to play those builds. there's no mag deathball, instead you get the 'mag cloud', which is all of them spread out. this makes it really hard for an enemy deathball to roll over them because of how many there are. you can't focus your aoes on one location because there might be all of 3 guys there while the rest of the cloud picks off people at the back of your group

it's apparently highly irritating to play against because mag doesn't conform to the expected meta of behaviour, so the standard strategies don't work against it and it's easier to complain than to fight

Aug 24, 2011

leekster posted:

Does anyone have a guide for untamed? It feels very different from what I usually run Reaper/Vindicator.

unless you're legitimately a god gamer i wouldn't bother, this thing has at least twice the APM of any other spec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD-lFDhGcHA

Aug 24, 2011

Lpzie posted:

I have EoD but I'm not ready to play it yet for LORE reasons. How far into it would I have to go to get the boat though?

you basically run into a bunch of characters that aren't dead so you know they won't die in the story up to that point (except a few that are missing, but that doesn't mean anything)

otherwise the only Major Spoiler™ is the name of the water elder dragon, which... has zero bearing on anything because it's just their name. unless you count scarlet but season 1 sucks rear end and so does she, she dies at the end of it gently caress scarlet

Aug 24, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So I have an 80 engineer alt that I have basically just been using for flax farming that I want to make useful for other types of farming. What is the preferred easy OP mechanist build now? Is it a condition one or a power one? I know very little about the spec. My engie alt basically has nothing now so easy to acquire exotics would be nice.

explosives 313
firearms 332
mechanist 331

berserker gear, rifle

use the signets

Aug 24, 2011

CODChimera posted:

plus the passive effect of your signets is traited to be active even when they are on cooldown

it really couldn't be any easier or stronger

no no you take the trait that reduces mech cooldowns and gives you quickness, you never need to touch the signets

Aug 24, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Not GW2 specific but does anyone else use a mouse that uses the Ghub program to control button profiles?

My mouse still works but the side buttons are supposed to be bound to Ctrl+# but it's ignoring the Ctrl part.

The bindings are correct in the profile.

i still use logitech gaming software because ghub sucks

what do your bindings look like? i don't know how ghub does it

Aug 24, 2011

Spudd posted:

I'm new to this whole thing why is that skeleton called Steve anyway?

the community decided it was so

Aug 24, 2011

skyscale was meant to be the capstone unlock for the game's final major content release, it's overpowered because they thought they'd never have to account for it in future development

Aug 24, 2011

remove 6 slot bonuses

make runes give different bonuses based on what slot they're in

there are people running around with random runes and you cannot stop them

Aug 24, 2011

El Fideo posted:

After a several year hiatus, I returned to the game with the ten year anniversary stuff. I've been focused on getting my Engineer her mechanist skills and ascended gear for high level fractals, and that's been fun. I think I want to get into raids next. I've got Mesmer, a Guardian, and a Ranger all at level 80. Which of these would you recommend for a good support build?

heal firebrand (guardian) will cover your quickness heal support

your existing mechanist will cover your dps and/or alacrity heal support

reminder that all heal builds are expected to provide one of those two boons (quickness or alacrity). some people think "heal firebrand" and "heal quickness firebrand" are two different builds - they are not, they are the same build, which is funny because you have to actively go out of your way to not give quickness on a heal firebrand

Aug 24, 2011

Actuarial Fables posted:

Just as a heads up for anyone unaware, make sure to pop into Lion's Arch to get a bunch of stacks of https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Extra_Life_Bonus.

and also buy the 75 gem karma booster to get the ultra rare baseball cap

Aug 24, 2011

tarbrush posted:

Oh! Which one is that?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Extra_Life_Karma_Booster

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Celebration_Hat

previously a launch exclusive. 10 years later it's finally obtainable again. don't miss out

Aug 24, 2011

Mr. Neutron posted:

Something big is happening with firebrand tomes. Seems like a shared charges system.

no more weapon swap but tomes become a thing you can use all the time like kits? sign me up

Aug 24, 2011

Lonk posted:

poo poo, guess I'm buying more gems this month.

where please where where where

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I had so many random skins like the hat and things I bought forever ago and possibly deleted before they could be added to the account wardrobe/town clothes whatever. There's no way to get those back is there? It's all fat enough back to not show up in my gem store history.

mail support and ask them to check, they'll give it back for free

Aug 24, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Mmmmm do I spend the 10-15 G to make the eggnog hat?

It's so stupid, I probably won't use it but I also love it.

Aug 24, 2011

fast cars loose anus posted:

this is a baffling set of choices made here

you've just summed up the last 10 years of this game's life

Aug 24, 2011

fast cars loose anus posted:

So, gearing at 80. In WoW the gear path is the only thing going for you once you hit max level, whereas I have the stories from living world 1-4 and two expansions to do. My understanding is those will give gear good enough to finish them without me trying to do things like craft legendary weapons, or gear up in dungeons and/or raids. Is that right?

full set of devona's (heavy) or nika's (medium) or zhed's (light) is zerker stat gear on the cheap

probably varies based on class, for open world you can get away with zerker on warrior, revenant, engineer, and necromancer trivially. it also works well for ranger and guardian although you're a bit more fragile, and thief/mesmer you'd better try real hard not to get hit because the sustain just isn't there. if you're playing elementalist god help you

Aug 24, 2011

El Fideo posted:

What are the chances we get character slots going on sale? I want to be able to have one of each profession.

unlikely, and the discount will be bad when it does happen (20% or less)

Aug 24, 2011

the playable character is the second one from the left, not sure what the devs were thinking with the naked guy

Aug 24, 2011

always follow the ABC rule: Always Be Mechanist

Aug 24, 2011

there were level ~10 traits that required killing level 80 world bosses

or obsidian sanctum lmao

Aug 24, 2011

living world is like an expansion but with more content and less features

path of fire zones suck (there i said it) but ls4 zones are fantastic (we don't talk about kourna)

Aug 24, 2011

Mailer posted:

mech

"maybe play the game for more than three days, dumbass"

mech is the noob class fwiw, let the damage-dealing stuff do itself while you figure out how the rest of the game works

Aug 24, 2011

Mailer posted:

There's two ways to take that. One is that it is very easy to play and good, so being the noob class just means you don't need to activate sub-second priorities on 20 keys with separate cooldowns while also moving and reacting or everyone dies like it's panda-era WoW... and this is a good thing because screw that. The other is that it's a training wheels class and not worth actually investing in it past the 80 boost I burned, in which case it would be good to know what the next thing to shoot for is. I was originally thinking Herald but that got shot down by Revenant not being available when I was still f2p.

There's also the third way to take it as some hipster class thing where X is really good so the real players play Y but that's gamers.txt and I hate it.

it's the first one

mech has been nerfed so you no longer run into groups where every dps player is a mechanist, but it can still comfortably perform in top-level content as well as blasting through any solo stuff the game throws at you

the build you want is full berserker gear with a rifle, traits are explosives 313 - firearms 332 - mechanist 331. utility skills are rectifier signet - throw mine - force signet - shift signet - whatever the elite signet is called.

also shift-right click all of your mech's skills so they autocast

Aug 24, 2011

Bobfly posted:

I'm sorry for continuing the How To Play discussion if you all feel like the subject is done, but I feel like such a fish out of water.

I've played a LOT of FF14, where all the complexity is in the rotations, and none in the character building. So I think I'm misunderstanding how combat works, I've been pretty much hitting everything on cooldown with my baseline mesmer, mostly only holding off on things if I need them to kite, interrupt, or the like. But it feels so weird to do that!
Can anyone help me get into the right mindset of how to approach skills and rotations in this game? It feels (and I could be wrong) like every guide or there begins and ends with the build, as if how to actually play is self-evident once the right talents and runes are in place. And it might be, but it hasn't clicked yet, and I feel so dumb!

find out which skills do the most damage and push those ones first

greatsword 4 with the greatsword trait in domination is a great (:haw:) damage dealer for instance

Aug 24, 2011

Waypoint

Aug 24, 2011

Hyperlynx posted:

Whatever stupid poo poo they may add to this game, at least they'll never add something that other players can use to force you into a dumb PvP minigame you didn't want to play!

requesting gif of mesmer asura doing exactly this to people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 24, 2011

Mr. Neutron posted:

I remember doing a couple of those meme runs early on. My favourite were all minion core necro and all untamed (which was really close, like 30 sec - but I believe most people (myself included) had no idea how untamed even plays :v: )

i've started playing untamed during fractal runs. it never ends well, it isn't fun, but somehow i forget that each time and bring it anyway

eventually i'll learn, maybe.