Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

TeaJay posted:

First expansion HoT areas are the toughest, and even they have been nerfed down. But it really feels like a hostile, maze-like environment, which may or not be incredibly frustrating and fun at the same time. The name of the game is verticality. Later PoF they toned it down a lot and the maps are super open and wide and generally a lot easier to travel.

It's amazing how much difference just getting the first two PoF mounts makes in terms of quality of life. HoT is what made me quit playing for like 5 years - everything felt overtuned, you couldn't walk 5 steps or even pause to look at your surroundings without being aggroed by some annoying-rear end trash mob, and the sheer verticality of the maps made the minimap all but useless.

Seeing a spot you want to get to above you and just being able to use a springer to say "nope, not dealing with this bullshit" and jump up to it instead of navigating ten miles of twisting vines and gliding through the canopy is a huge quality of life upgrade.

They still never really fixed how obnoxious the mastery grind is, but mounts made it mostly a non-issue. Not being able to use any of the actual mobility mechanics in the HoT maps until you've basically cleared the entire expansion multiple times over was an incredibly poor design decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I'm just hoping they bring volatile tools back for the sale. Let me give you my money Anet.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Yeah faceroll builds are important for the health of the game and I vastly prefer not giving myself carpal tunnel with complex rotations and wretched hand contortions. I'll take a new player providing decent DPS with his "scrub" build over one flailing around with a Weaver or Chronomancer or something and doing jack poo poo.

I don't even care about them in PvP - yeah they can literally spam autoattack and do just fine in the lower ranks, so what. If it helps people learn the fundamentals of playing the objectives / interacting with map mechanics then I'm all for it. Once you know what you're doing they're trivial to play around and you literally never see them at higher tiers of play, which means they're probably not as busted as people cry about in the lobby chat.

Now I *do* think that a complex build, when played correctly, should outperform the simple builds, and maybe there's an argument to be made that that isn't happening, or at least to a degree that would warrant the extra effort involved. But I agree with the poster above who bounced off of FFXIV because of the endless repetition of the "optimal" skill rotation. That's simultaneously really boring and also requires a lot of mental energy / attention, which is not what I'm looking for when I play a video game. For those that like that playstyle, more power to you, and I'm glad there are specs that scratch that itch.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I got the chocobo from a weekly Black Lion key, which is I think literally the only cool thing one of those chests has ever dropped for me.

Also good god there are so many mount skins to pick from, this is going to be an impossible choice. Feel like I should probably go with a Skyscale skin since I'm pretty sure it will get the most use of any of my mounts once I finally stop being lazy and unlock it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Working my way through all the living story stuff I missed and I still don't remember where this other Sylvari with the gambling addiction came from or why I am supposed to care about him at all. Luckily Palawa Joko owns, though I have to sorta question the wisdom of making your primary antagonist more fun and personable than all of your traveling companions combined.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Hello Sailor posted:

Canach? He's a villain-turned-ally introduced in Southsun portion of LS1, which hasn't been restored yet. He's generally regarded as the least annoying of the PC's companions.

Ah, that would explain it. Yeah he's not annoying, he's just kinda...there, and I was trying to figure out when he popped up or remember anything about him except the gambling. Marjory and Kasmeer have also just kinda disappeared for the past few chapters, no idea where they went either. I guess the downside of episodic story content that I had to buy and play piecemeal is that it becomes really easy to lose track of everything beyond the main narrative beats.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Something about his delivery gives me Frisky Dingo vibes and it just makes all his appearances so much better.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Whoever is responsible for the mastery achievements in the back end of LS4 going from "fun, interesting ways to approach objectives" to "what is the most tedious, least fun way you could possibly play through each mission" should never be allowed near a game development job again. Just pure dogshit.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

sPvP is honestly pretty fun *if* you can avoid getting tilted by how incomprehensibly dumb most of your teammates will be. People that haven't learned the basic map mechanics after 10 years, people going AFK the second your team is down by 5 points, people changing their spec before a match and then forgetting to equip weapons that they can actually use...

The actual meat of the game mode is pretty fun and it's a shame they just abandoned it completely after the embarrassing e-sports thing.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Ineptitude posted:

Elaborate!

They made a really big deal out of how PvP was going to take the e-sports world by storm and have like tournament prize support and constant updates and a big streaming audience but then it turns out that making poorly balanced PvP that is incredibly hard for spectators to follow even if you didn't also have so many particle effects going on that it's impossible to see anything that is happening in a teamfight does not actually make for a very good e-sport. As soon as they realized it was not going to be a new cash cow they completely abandoned it and have been alluding to "upcoming" changes for several years. There hasn't been a new map added in 4 years and that one (yes, one) is arguably the worst conquest map in the game. Before that I think the last new map was added in 2013?

The truly pathetic thing is even in this sorry state GW2 still has by far the best PvP of any modern MMO.

I really miss GW1.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

HampHamp posted:

Enjoying this so far, but I have one major complaint - for a new player, the method of filling out your elite spec is super dumb.

So I've just finished the base story, and started living world season one (I like to progress through the story stuff in the right order). This means that with some light open world exploration, I've filled all the basic spec trees, and have enough for the first 2 skills in the elite spec I chose (reaper). The problem is... these skills now cost a LOT of points, between 10 and 20 it seems like. So for the build to work, I need to go around and collect an absolute ton of the open world hero points.

This wouldn't be much of an issue, but the jump in difficulty from base to living world is quite high, and I'm constantly aware that my spec is totally gimped until I get like a hundred more of these points from the open world. The only way around this appears to be getting the expansion hero points (which give like ten instead of one i hear), but I'd prefer not to go into expansion stuff until I get there naturally though the story.

Is this just the way things are? It's kinda killed my momentum, but it is what it is I guess and I'll have to just get on with it.

If you're dead set on doing it in order it shouldn't be too big of a deal - the elite specs didn't even exist when the first two Living World seasons came out, so it's balanced around your core specs anyway. Just make sure your gear and build is in order - you should be in full exotics and have something approximating a "real" build with strong complementary traits and utility choices if you don't want it to feel like an uphill battle.

On the other hand, if you just want to get your elite spec finished so you don't have to think about it, dipping into an expansion real quick will get it out of the way. I would say if you go that route, hop into PoF instead of HoT, because the maps are much easier and less annoying to navigate and you'll also get a raptor right away that makes zooming around the maps much less of a hassle. They are also mostly doable solo, versus HoT where a lot of skill points are champion enemies that will flatten you on your own. You'd only have to do the first story mission and then you could just grab hero points from the open world - wouldn't take very long to max out one elite spec and while you'd get a bit of story spoilers from that first mission, it's probably far enough away from your current point in the story that it will mostly just seem confusing.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 19, 2022

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

HampHamp posted:

Cheers for the tips, but I'm a bit weird and don't even like seeing the new zones until I get to them through the story.

Maybe I'll give core necro a try until I've got a few more points to spend. The reaper elite spec was only going to be temporary until I do group content, as scourge seems better for that, so it won't be a huge deal. Although I did like swinging a big sword around!

Any suggestions for a core necromancer spec?

Minion Master is probably your best bet. Something like this is designed for open world / story content:

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Necromancer_-_Core_Minion_Necromancer

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

The old Lion's Arch was also neat because it actually plausibly felt like GW1's Lion's Arch after 250 years, with a few retained landmarks that made the setting feel lived in. Now it's completely unrecognizable.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Just make all the other specs stronger, cowards.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

lol there's currently an organized mourning for the loss of Black Citadel Core 2.0

They're playing sad lute music and /crying

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Actuarial Fables posted:

Check it out while it lasts, multi-core black citadel

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Just add rune slots to rings and earrings so you can get one more 4-rune bonus or double 2s. Go wild, endgame enemies are such absurd HP sponges you probably wouldn't even notice the stat bonuses.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

So did Silent Storm and Spirit Watch just get completely removed from the game as PvP maps? I figured they'd bring them back some day after tweaks but I guess not lol? Such a shame, the PvP in this game would honestly be good if they hadn't had that embarrassing e-sports failure and then pretended like it never existed again. By far the best PvP of any MMO, which is an incredibly low bar but still.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Turncoat Mommy posted:

Unranked only as they have always been.

Is there a difference between rated and ranked? I see achievements for playing rated games on those maps but I thought the entire point of unranked was that you didn't have player ratings.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

The exotic ones are used for a ton of weapon skins and the weekly exchange during Lunar New Year. The legendary ones are mostly for crafting legendary weapons, but there are also a couple of new year skins you can buy with them, like the firework pauldrons.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Heard about the new expansion and decided to come back and check the game out again - it's been a good while since I've played and I still have End of Dragons to get through lol.

Couple questions for stuff I forgot / only vaguely remember:

1) I know there are a few "free" legendary trinkets from doing PvE content - have they added any new ones with recent content that I should be keeping an eye on?

2) How hard is it to get into raiding nowadays as a newbie? I never got into it before I quit but working towards legendary armor seems like a fun project and I definitely don't want to go the PvP route for that.

3) Is there any downside to switching between characters for story content? I forgot why I did this, but apparently I split up story progress across a couple different characters so that I've got HoT complete on one and PoF on another. Is there any reason to go back and get full campaign completions consolidated on one character?

4) Should I be prioritizing getting my Skyscale mount? I remember starting that process and seem to recall it being a huge grind with a lot of time-gated stuff, but honestly there's so much poo poo to do that it's a bit overwhelming and I'm not sure where to start / what to make a priority.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

What's the best bang for my buck on gem store purchases? I don't have any unlimited mining tools, but it sounds like I'm better off waiting for Volatile / Unbound ones to come back on sale. There's also stuff like the Account Jumpstart / Secrets of the Obscure Preparation Pack, but I can't tell if those are actually a good deal or not. The only cash shop item I have right now is the copper Salvage-o-Matic and an extra bank tab, so more storage space would definitely be nice too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I would trade all the underwater content for land spears and paragon back.

Literally all of the wizard vault stuff is Paragon themed too, there's even art of a Paragon doing the bless emote. I also want Dervish and Ritualist - I guess Guardian and Revenant sort of overlap what their roles would be but still.