Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'm in the same position as others in that I played a while ago (I think when HoT released), just came back, and I'm lost looking at my characters with all of their rankings and inventories full of crap. It looks like I have 1200 gems I didn't spend which is nice. Are inventory upgrades character specific? I have an 80 engineer and 80 mesmer and I remember I used to enjoy running around with the WvW zerg. Looks like at some point I bought tools that don't wear out, a raven glider, and a copper fed salvage thingee which I don't remember what it does. I assume I should look into using gems for the story? The shop is a little disorientating. Also, I don't have any non-HoT expansions since I was kind of hoping for a sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Hakarne posted:

Great engineer post

Thanks for this. I take it you need the expansions to get a lot of these abilities?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So this is a stupid question, but do you only unlock the abilities doing end of dragons stuff or can you spend points you get doing other things?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ok thanks, I really can't recall the advancement system in the game aside from trying to collect a bunch of hearts or something in each zone to unlock skills.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So are all of the best builds EoD based?

Also, does anybody have a Mesmer build? Looks like I'm a chronomancer.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ugh I want to get the expansions but the cheapass deal-seaking part of me requires there to be some sort of sale. I thought for sure there would be something for the 10 year anniversary.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Logged in just to get some freebies and check the inventory of my mesmer who is in one of the HoT zones (second one I think? Around a big temple). Noticed a large group of players standing around when a wall of plants disappeared and they all rushed in. Randomly spammed buttons at things that looked like bad guys (lol I don't remember what any of the buttons do yet). Stuff died and then everyone jumped into an underdround temple where I opened like 30 treasure chests full of random stuff I'm clueless about.

No clue what I just did but it was fun!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

orcane posted:

Sounds like Octovine and yeah it's great. As long as you have the keys to open the chests :v:

I guess I did! I have to admit, looking at my inventory and bank is kind of overwhelming. I'll have to read some guides on loot colors and the 1000 seemingly different kinds of currencies in my wallet.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Hah, I was going to wait for a sale to get the collection but you can't get the free mount without the second expansion. Well played.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I suppose if I don't have a mount it is best to get a raptor skin for now as that is the first one you get?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Actuarial Fables posted:

Get the skin that you like the most

Well sure, but I have no concept of how long it takes or how hard it is to get all of these various mount types aside from that you start with the raptor and get the warclaw through wvw. So for example I don't want to pick a skin for a mount I may never get.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So I have 2x 80 boosts (I guess because the collection gave me 2 collections I didn't have) taking up my shared inventory space. I used one on a thief who I've always wanted to play because all of the elite specs interest me. For a newer player without tons of money which specs would you all recommend for mostly PvE and WvW play? I'm thinking Daredevil or Specter. Deadeye seems like it might be fun in WvW but from what I've read it is underperforming.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Luggage posted:

GW2Mists.com, one of the main portals for WvW, lists a Daredevil roaming build: https://gw2mists.com/builds/thief/shadowarts-daredevil
Metabattle* also has a Specter Roamer build, which even uses the Celestial gear you got from the boost: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Specter_-_Celestial_Scepter_Roamer

*Builds listed on Metabattle are less curated and ranked by user votes AFAIK, meaning they can be good, but occasionally somebody uploads a stinker and just gets a few friends to upvote it.

Thanks, these both look like fun builds.

404notfound posted:

The boosts give equipment with the "celestial" stat prefix (moderate increase to all stats), so whatever class can make use of that would be a good candidate. Off the top of my head, I believe revenant, elementalist, and maybe guardian can all do reasonably well with that stat set

Hah, thanks. You answered a question I meant to put in my post originally and forgot. 'what should I use my final boost on?'. I was thinking a heavy armor profession since I haven't leveled one up yet. It's kind of annoying that I can't just save it.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Daredevil's still a great spec for DPS and especially open world/story content. 3 dodges and lots of lifesteal options makes you surprisingly sturdy, and it's easy to play for someone newer. Specter is very good too, but I'd save that until you're more established since its optimal gear for DPS or support is harder to come by.

Yeah I feel like I will probably do DD first. It doesn't really seem like deadeye is worth thinking about for now.

e:

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 2, 2022

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Luggage posted:

I wish there was another way to get your hands on Glyphs for infinite gathering tools other than drop luck from BLCs or buying them at horrendous prices from the TP.
I don't mind G.o.Volatility only paying for itself after 28k+ strikes and G.o.Watchknight after 20k+ strikes, but the upfront cost of (at the time of writing) 650 gold (i.e. $ 40+) for three is intimidating for someone without thousands of hours in the game.

That being said, can someone recommend a cheaper glyph (up to 50ish gold) they found useful for specific ingame farming goals other than "additional gold per strike"? Right now I am eyeing Timekeeper and Scavenger.

Yeah this is kind of annoying. I bought the 'molten' infinite tools years ago and I guess they aren't one that get a glyph.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Alright so I've decided I am going to probably go spectre (per trhe great post in this thread) with my new thief but I saw this pistol deadeye build which grabbed my attention this morning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xehPvGmmajw.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?PawAoiVlFwgYUsOmJOuOqvKA-zxIY1ojvQKoCKLE6IBE+AEue41AipNA-e
It's a deadeye pistol/sword condition spec which uses celestial armor that seems pretty effective.

I'm thinking I may be able to do both specs with similar gear?

For now I've just been wallowing around as core spec while getting hero points and using siege weapons to contribute in WvW.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I have to say, I like a lot of improvements I've seen in WvW since the last time I played. It is certainly a lot more rewarding with the gathering nodes around and the frequency of getting reward chests just for helping out. Having said that, seemingly everyone else having a warclaw totally blows. I'm working on the mastery track but oof, does not having that put you at an enormous disadvantage.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Mover posted:

Now that you have a level 80 the easiest things to do just to get some liquid gold in your bank are:

Do your daily quests every day--you get a flat 2 gold for finishing these and it's stuff like "do any 4 events in Mt Maelstrom" or "view any vista in the Orr region." They'll guide you towards map completion and put some extra materials in your pocket along the way.

Fight Tequatl the Sunless once a day. It's a fun huge world boss, our guilds do it together every day at reset which is a big party, and drops another couple flat gold on top of whatever drops you get.

Fractals will be good gold as you progress. You can also honestly just hop into your bank/material storage and sell any materials you aren't using right now. You'll net a ton of gold and you can always buy them back the same way later on.

Does this Teq boss require a good build or any real talent other than spamming attack? Asking for a friend lol.

Also, what time is the reset every day?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

404notfound posted:

There are so many people doing Tequatl at reset that it really doesn't matter what you bring. You might get downed if you're bad at jumping shockwaves or stepping out of AoEs, but you'll still get credit.

Daily reset is at midnight UTC, so your local reset time might vary with the seasons. Here on the west coast of the US, it's currently 5:00 pm every day, but in the winter months it's at 4:00 pm

Hey thanks I actually got in on it tonight and got my gold + other random junk and like you said there were so many people around everything died pretty quickly.

eonwe posted:

I haven't played this in forever, god drat there is a lot to to do

I finished my personal story but promptly make a herald and made it level 80, clicks with me better.

So I think my plans are:

1. Finish the story
2. Work on Fractals and getting agony resist
3. Level up WvW and especially get my Warclaw mount
4. Figure out how to make money so I can level up crafting easier

I did skip living world season 1 and 2, but I think I'm going to go back to them eventually. I just really wanted to get the glider.

I'm working on the warclaw too and I recommend whenever possible doing your WvW dailies since the chests give you potions that seem to make the track advance a lot more quickly.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Here is a list of "daily" stuff I've been doing to make a steady income of gold, skip any you lack the unlocks or patience for:

Meta timer zerg stuff:
At reset Tequatl > Leyline man in timberlane and gathering everything before it spawns > TD Teku Nuhoch waypoint for treasure mushroom right before Chak Gerant > AB Eastwatch waypoint for treasure mushroom right before AB meta > Grothmar valley for the ooze boss for a 2g key > Time for Dragonstorm right after ooze dies to end the run.
Another event chain to keep an eye out for is Karka queen (check for blooming flowers on the minimap for 25s each) > Verdant brink night bosses, can camp for the matriarch above the middle waypoint early with a skyscale > Pinata in crystal desert if instance isn't full, doomlore shrine is another event that takes a minute to do after showing up late and gets you 1g.

Then just keep an eye on lfg for dragonfall/dragonend which give 4g/15g in materials for the boss kill and dragonfall is very high gold/hour from all those chests and events.

None-meta timer stuff for daily gold:

Drizzlewood coast vendor to buy cheap keys and trade cheap materials towards mystic clovers and mats.
Home instance gathering and converting 25 quartz to charged quartz and Guild hall gathering and using converters to turn HoT materials and ascended mats into loot bags (hot converter is a lot of gold return usually)
Park alts you don't play regularly at valuable jumping puzzles chests (use teleports to friends if they are piling up) and loot them each day.
Dailies, Daily PvP and WvW can be quicker then most PvE dailies and more rewarding, if you don't like pvping much save the reward potions for "daily reward earner"
While waiting for Pinata, use griffon/skyscale to reach the rich quartz vein and then fly over to Sanctum of Nabkha to loot the chests there, afterwards head to Tomb of Primeval kings to grab the chests there.
While waiting for Drakkar, hit up the red > green > blue large/medium essence chests, with griffon/skyscale it takes a few minutes to open all of them and it's a lot of valuable materials.
Flax farms across HoT and S3 are pretty decent gold for the time it takes to reach them and harvest them.
There are 3 Grand/Magnificent chests in the Echovald eastern treetops that give 1-2 jade runestones each and only take a couple minutes to reach via skyscale/griffon I like to hit up.
Killing 10 krait a day for the sunken key is pretty good gold.

And here is probably the fastest gold in the list:
Check Seitung Province LFG for "Levi Farm" you can make around 20g/day from killing 10 leviathans that show up in seitung/kaineng, usually if you see someone in subgroup 2 there is one up right now, you can kill 2 per map instance before you need to either swap characters or do a event to reset your ambergris limit.
Fishing in general is really really high gold/hour if you are maxed out for it and check what baits you need, do a bit of fishing in the downtime during metas, get lucky and get 2g+ per legendary fish.
And be sure you rush the end of the Arborstone mastery track for Globalization so you can grab 5 summoning stones each week that are worth 6g each or doing weekly EoD strikes for the green shards to buy 10 mystic coins per week and lotsa liquid gold for all 4 strikes.

According to gw2effiency doing this has been a steady climb since I started playing again.

Thanks for this post, this is really helpful.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ok now I'm pissed. Every time I get to the end of the Victory or Death mission where you fight the mouth thing I win, get stuck on a cinematic that doesn't seem to happen, and get loving disconnected so that I have to start the whole drat thing over.

e: my connection is fine this is just some lovely bug that is wasting all of my time

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

What if Lions Arch but in Blade Runner?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Some random thoughts after playing for a couple of weeks (previous time played was shortly after HoT release):

Love all of the new elite specializations, though it is a little conspicuous just how many mechanists there are around. I'm already looking forward to gearing up a deadeye spec and a mirage mesmer.

I recently started running the spectre build from the long effort post on page 2 of this thread and it's been really great. I can tell because even though I am still bad at it I can still solo champs that I couldn't dream of handling as a 'core' thief and my gear is still pretty suboptimal (one ascended birthday talisman, the celestial exotics that the 80 boost comes with, and whatever exotic scepter weapon you get when you first fully train the spec). I also want to make a deadeye WvW roaming build but gearing up is going to be challenging. Do people consistently run dungeons? I need the currency for runes and sigils. I heoped to do this with a dungeon mastery track in WvW but I've nearly completed a track and I really haven't gotten much currency (maybe 180?).

I have not started PoF or EoD or any of the living seasons yet but returning to the Verdant Brink and Auric Basin and I just love those zones. Great music, great theme, and super fun and engaging to explore with lots of rewarding events.

The currency bloat DEAD GOD the currency bloat. It is really hard to keep a handle on the dozen different things I collect in each zone.

Gearing is pretty complicated but I guess this is sort of the end game so I'm ok with it.

The personal story was better than I remember it. I haven't been able to complete the final mission due to a bug disconnecting me which is annoying but I've since moved on and finished living world season 1 episode 1 and wow, what a jump in difficulty and mission length. The Molten Furnace mission just seemed to go on and on forever which was frustrating because I had some other stuff I needed to do. I wonder if this is the norm going forward or an outlier?

Also Goons are pretty great and thanks for hooking me up with Teq and naked magic man quests for most of the week. I wouldn't have known about them without the heads up.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

There is a balance livestream happening right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCWxA23RdQA

I didn't see a lot. Just had some specter nerfs.

e: should say changes because I saw what looked like a buff to WoB too. Hard to say since I'm pretty new.

e2: something has got scrapper players riled up. Looks like a few guardian nerfs.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 16, 2022

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

They cut specter's shade form HP by more than half. Ouch. I guess it was dominating PvP or something because I don't see many more of them around much in PvE and WvW.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Is there a good way to get dungeon currency besides WvW reward tracks and trying to put together dungeon LFG groups? Like, is there an easily soloable dungeon or something? I have never done GW2 dungeons but I need currency for some runes.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

jokes posted:

You can get dungeon gear from SPvP, alongside a shitload of transmutation charges. Who knows? You might have fun! (Look up a good build to make it easier)

My experience with WoW and other MMOs says that I usually kind of hate scenario PvP but maybe if the rewards are good enough I can be somebody's punching bag.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

As a returning casual player I didn't realize how much I missed the old Lion's Arch until I decided to go through the personal story and saw it again.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Is silver fed even worth it? Seems like the mystic kits go a pretty long way. I guess runecrafters isn’t for sale either but I’m always confused if either is worth getting.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

It kind of looks like mystic kits are good enough to skip the silver fed but salvaging the upgrades on the greens with runecrafters may be worth it.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

jokes posted:

And yet here I am buying another set of berserker's gear for a fresh 80, created solely so I can play with different fashion options than the other identically-geared character of the same class.

Speaking of fashion, what are people doing nowadays to gather a shitload of transmutation shards? Still 100%ing the capital cities, and SPVP?

I feel like just farting around WvW I get a fair # of skirmish chests which can be redeemed for transmutation charges.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Tortolia posted:

You can take your 80 through and do the core Tyria personal story to get a bit of a runthrough on the base framework on things, and do some map completion to get used to the mechanics and how to play the class. From there you'll get a sense of how the game works and can then start expanding into different content types that seem interesting to you.

Alternately roll up an alt and do the leveling experience on them, when you're up to speed enough you can then go back to your 80 and take it from there.

This is a good answer. Basically the personal story will give you some guidance on what to do while you get used to everything going on. I also found it helpful to go on the web and find a good 'build', preferably one based on the celestial gear your boosted character started out with.

If you are one of those people who don't care about the story at all getting the mounts from PoF early is helpful.

I like the story and I've played through HoT and PoF so far but it feels quite disjointed without the living seasons in between. I want to get them but I've been waiting for a sale. Kind of conflicted if I should just head to EoD or not.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 2, 2022

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So I'm looking at cooking up an alt and was interested in both bladesworn and spellbreaker. Does anybody have a pros and cons for those? My primary interests are open world pve and wvw stuff, though I may dip my toes into fractals and/or strikes at some point. Not really interested in spvp.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'm hoping the living seasons go on sale soon. I like the game but the giant holes between expansions make it a little hard to follow without them.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm really bad at operating the skiff.

But a pioneer in submersibles!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So I have an 80 engineer alt that I have basically just been using for flax farming that I want to make useful for other types of farming. What is the preferred easy OP mechanist build now? Is it a condition one or a power one? I know very little about the spec. My engie alt basically has nothing now so easy to acquire exotics would be nice.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

where the red fern gropes posted:

explosives 313
firearms 332
mechanist 331

berserker gear, rifle

use the signets

Ok it's taken me until now to get together my berserkers gear and do this but all I have to say is LOL

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I mean, the legends were all true. Stuff just melts without me having to do much of anything.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Holy poo poo, the living seasons are finally on sale and the Halloween cosmetics look great. I think I'm gonna need some more gems.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Goddamn achievement monster keeps spawning inside the walls or underneath the world and so I have to listen to 10 minutes of Taimi being 'clever' everytime I want to try it again and it is pissing me off.

e: sweet, this time it didn't spawn somewhere but just suddenly became invincible and disappeared

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

chglcu posted:

Which map/monster is this? Might as well at least get a bug entered for it if we don't already have one.

Sure, it was in 'The Dragon's Reach Part 1' during the mission 'The Waypoint Conundrum'. I was running it with a human mechanist.

The achievement I was going for was 'Leave No Survivors'

Spoiler tagging it since I am showing a map of a mission.

I'll use a helpful map from this website: https://guildjen.com/the-dragons-reach-part-1-achievements-guide/

Spot 10 has an Asuran assassin spawn. This assassin spawned under the world a few times (maybe 3 or 4) and inside the cavern wall another couple times. I finally got it after complaining online but it took me a while. I even de-summoned my mechanist bot figuring it was some kind of pet aggro thing and it still happened. My approach was to go along the wall north of spot 7 to try and touch 10 without also triggering 7 (much like in the video demonstration on that web page).

Also, one time it aggroed and chased me and I made a run for spot 11 to try to clear it before killing him (mech on passive, didn't want doors to close on spawn 11) and he just froze for a moment, became invincible, and disappered. He did this around where the square dot southwest of spawn 11 is. I know he normall runs away at 50%, but I hadn't damaged him yet and he was at full health when it happened.