Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Well, I think overall the community is hyping up the Steam release a bit too much, expecting a bigger influx of new players than there might actually be, but I'm hoping the decade achievements will sort of reinvigorate activity across the map as people try to get events and stuff done. I was in Metrica earlier and there was a fair number of people hunting down events to do to get their proofs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Masteries are a little weird in that they're partly extra abilities and partly story progression gates. Heart of Thorns was when they introduced masteries, and it's especially bad about making you grind out masteries to get further in the storyline

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Hello Sailor posted:

I love hammer on Guardians, even though it's not really part of their meta right now. They get a leaping overhead smash on a short cooldown and another attack that launches enemies into the air.

I want to like the hammer too, but the skill set is just kinda... weird? The symbol, rather than being a dedicated skill, executes on the third hit of the auto-attack chain, which makes it really hard to use consistently. Most of the rest of it is PvP-oriented utility (immobilize, launch, ward), but severely lacking in damage to make it a competitive option versus the other weapons.

Hammer 2 is cool and good though

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Faren is a dumb himbo (in a good way)

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Some of these retooled world bosses are a little too spongey. It's good that they don't just fall over in seconds anymore, but now it just feels like 10 straight minutes of doing the same thing over and over

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Luggage posted:

Regarding mount skins: a new container named "mount skin selection license" or some such surfaced yesterday. It let's you pick one of many mount skins, even some rarer ones like the Starborn ones. Expectation is, that ArenaNet will give each player one of these for free when logging in between tonight and tomorrow night (more like noon-ish in the US). So if you can, try logging in once within the next 24h and grab it from the gemstore.

Update on this: the skins shown in the video are wrong. What you get in-game is what you get

https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/1564670911961534465

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I went with the Lithosol raptor skin since it's pretty unique and not another eye-blindingly glowy one. If I hadn't already paid full price for it, I would've slam-picked the gyrocycle skin for the beetle

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Also the griffon is a gliding mount, which I feel like is a worthwhile distinction to make. From the ground, it has a pretty substantial hop + flap for verticality, but you'll still get higher with the springer. If you need something for a long vertical ascent, or even just a moderate ascent across a longer distance, the griffon won't quite cut it. IMO it's still a lot more fun to use than the skyscale though

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So I have 2x 80 boosts (I guess because the collection gave me 2 collections I didn't have) taking up my shared inventory space. I used one on a thief who I've always wanted to play because all of the elite specs interest me. For a newer player without tons of money which specs would you all recommend for mostly PvE and WvW play? I'm thinking Daredevil or Specter. Deadeye seems like it might be fun in WvW but from what I've read it is underperforming.

The boosts give equipment with the "celestial" stat prefix (moderate increase to all stats), so whatever class can make use of that would be a good candidate. Off the top of my head, I believe revenant, elementalist, and maybe guardian can all do reasonably well with that stat set

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I think the EoD metas are still reasonably well designed compared to HoT (with maybe the exception of Dragon's End), though the rewards might fall a bit short. As far as the EoD maps seeming empty, though, I feel like it's partly because the maps are so big and hard to navigate (does anybody really remember where all the ziplines and teleporters in New Kaineng are?), and partly because enemies have become damage sponges, especially if you don't take the time to grab battery charges and buffs. They might be doing something weird with population caps, but I couldn't really say.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

With the way the Friends Detective Agency got teased at the end of EoD, I'm really hoping we have some kind of more grounded mystery story. It's hard to keep going bigger when you've already killed a god and all of the elder dragons

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Mover posted:

Fight Tequatl the Sunless once a day. It's a fun huge world boss, our guilds do it together every day at reset which is a big party, and drops another couple flat gold on top of whatever drops you get.

We also do the legendary ley-line anomaly (aka naked man) right afterward in Timberline Falls, which gets you a mystic coin. They're not worth as much as they were before, now that gen 3 legendaries don't need them, but it's still a decent chunk of money for relatively little time and effort.

One thing to note is that the way it goes after daily reset is very different from how the encounter is designed. It's supposed to be a tedious slog of chasing the anomaly around the map and chipping away at it during burn phases, but there's such a mad rush after reset that it always gets one-burned—so fast, in fact, that it can be hard getting gold participation credit, though you'll always end up with a mystic coin for the first LLA of the day as long as you do a little bit of damage

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Does this Teq boss require a good build or any real talent other than spamming attack? Asking for a friend lol.

Also, what time is the reset every day?

There are so many people doing Tequatl at reset that it really doesn't matter what you bring. You might get downed if you're bad at jumping shockwaves or stepping out of AoEs, but you'll still get credit.

Daily reset is at midnight UTC, so your local reset time might vary with the seasons. Here on the west coast of the US, it's currently 5:00 pm every day, but in the winter months it's at 4:00 pm

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Kris xK posted:

Long time players break out your crystal ball and put in your tinfoil hat cause I have a vague rear end question :

"Historically, how reactionary are anet nerfs?"

I'm one on the multititude of new steam players currently clogging up your screen with an ugly jade robot. I didn't know engineer was fotm when I picked it but it clearly is. I'm really enjoying it, but I don't want to get super invested in case anet take it out back and shoots it. So in the past, how have their nerfs been generally?

We've got an unusual case on our hands at the moment, because there was some drama where it turns out one of the Anet devs was openly telling people that he played favorites with class balancing; that he was looking forward to the salt from some planned nerfs; and that he straight up just didn't play a class at all and used the wiki as a reference for balancing. No idea if he got axed or just told to shut the gently caress up about his job, but the current OP state of the mechanist is entirely his fault. It's an unprecedented situation and I don't know how the studio will address the issues, if they will at all, in any more than their usual capacity

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Speaking from personal experience, when I went really hard to try and make sure I was maximizing my output every day, I found myself burning out on the game pretty quick. There's a lot you can do, but if you find yourself getting tired of it, just don't do it! Step away from the game for a while if you need. There's no subscription, so you can always come back later. Even the annual festivals are more or less the same every year, so there's nothing permanently missable there. I've shelved the game and picked it back up many times over the past decade, and missed Dragon Bash and the Festival of the Four Winds this year before coming back again, but I and my account are no worse off for it.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

CODChimera posted:

you don't need to use one of those fishing spots. Heart of Maguuma doesn't seem to have much water but theres some near the waypoint that connects the lanes in tangled depths. the one that is on the meta reward spot

The one I usually use for that is the Rata Novus waypoint in TD, which is right next to water

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

HampHamp posted:

Cheers for the tips, but I'm a bit weird and don't even like seeing the new zones until I get to them through the story.

Maybe I'll give core necro a try until I've got a few more points to spend. The reaper elite spec was only going to be temporary until I do group content, as scourge seems better for that, so it won't be a huge deal. Although I did like swinging a big sword around!

Any suggestions for a core necromancer spec?

Getting used to the core spec before trying the elites is a good idea if you want to get a thorough understanding of your class. Core lets you try three base trait lines at a time, while with the elites you always need to have one line dedicated to the elite spec. Trait synergies are a big part of what elevates a build from average/good to meta

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

bagrada posted:

I'll bite, what's the reference in the picture?

I'm going to try to start WvW this week, I'm on a different server or I'd have joined goon WvWednesday long ago. I'm running out of excuses to avoid it. I want to do the anniversary achievement, maybe get the cat mount, and see if I like it since it has been a while.

Looking at a few build websites I can run trap dragonhunter, support firebrand, hammer herald, or banner spellbreaker on characters I have plenty of pve experience on. I can also do scourge or scrapper but they are boosted so I'd have a lot to learn. Firebrand is kind of daunting with everything it has access to, and honestly I don't really like the feel of dual sword assassin revenant (used by the meta hammer herald). Any advice?

If you're not 100% set on something, you can look at Vallun's "one build for every game mode" guides here. Since getting a full set of gear can be a big time/money commitment, these offer ways for you to take one single set of gear and, through some minor adjustments of traits and skills, adapt it for use in either solo PvE content or WvW roaming.

As a full-time guardian, I've tried his dragonhunter and willbender builds. Dragonhunter feels a little fragile, though that class is just sort of glass cannon-y in general, but his willbender one has solid sustain.

If you haven't played much of the competitive modes, the biggest hurdle is definitely going to be learning how to fight an intelligent, reactive opponent, and guessing what their class is capable of doing. Expect heavy condition pressure and lots of CC, way more than you're used to seeing from PvE mobs

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

El Fideo posted:

Since I got onto tier 2 fractals last week, I've got ascended rings falling out my rear end. What do I do with them aside from wearing?

You can use ascended salvaging kits on them for a chance at a ball of dark matter, which is a necessary ingredient for gen 2 legendaries

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Actuarial Fables posted:

So Ascended Rings are special in that they have zero chance of dropping balls of dark energy. Accessories, backpacks, and amulets have a small chance, and armor and weapons have a 100% chance.

Salvaging rings is still worthwhile because of the stabilizing matrices you get from doing so.

Ah hell, I didn't know about the different percentages :negative: But good to know that it's guaranteed from weapons/armor

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Mr. Neutron posted:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-fall-and-winter-roadmap-2022/

New roadmap is out but unfortunately there is nothing coming that we didn't know about before. I was expecting at least a sneak peek at some new content but nope :(

Is the strike mission new? I don't know if I remember hearing about that before. Wonder if it'll reward green or blue prophet shards, or if they'll bring back reds for it

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Strategy posted:

Is GOON on mag pretty much dead? Haven't played in 7+ years but I only see 1 or 2 people on at the most.

??? There's 19 people on right now as I'm typing this, and it's 11:00 at night west coast, 2:00 am east coast

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Strategy posted:

gently caress me, apparently I'm still in some defunct goon guild, the [GOON] tag was throwing me off.

Oh yeah haha, when the game first launched we had some overflow guilds since we hadn't quite gotten it up to the max of 500 yet (and/or there were more than 500 active goon players? I don't remember). Quaggun is pretty dead, so I'd definitely join the main one if I were you. Discord link in the OP

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Actuarial Fables posted:

Make sure your mech is attacking and isn't stuck somewhere. Beyond that, just hit the boss and use your weapon skills.

You won't hit the benchmark numbers people like to talk when doing actual fights, because you have to things like "move away from the boss" and "wait for the boss to not be invulnerable" and "don't die".

There's also stuff like having 100% uptime of all the buffs and being able to perfectly execute rotations. Besides quickness, alacrity, and 25 stacks of might being a huge contributor to your damage, many traits also include conditional damage if you've got certain other buffs, and benchmark videos always have all of those buffs turned on. And making sure you do a rotation just right can easily add a couple thousand more DPS.

Benchmarks are so idealized that I don't really like them, to be honest. Run your own benchmarks to compare damage between builds, but you really don't need to be chasing the exact numbers that people are hitting in benchmark videos. Between fight mechanics, enemy abilities, and the buff output of your team (which will be further impacted by the aforementioned mechanics), it's never going to approach those numbers anyway. I'd much rather see a comparison of builds that can handle difficult content while solo, like the Heart of Thorns hero point challenges

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Not making them purchasable on Steam separately seems like a big miss. Each season may not be as fleshed out as a full expansion, but it's definitely something that a player might not realize they want until they've already been playing for a while

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

..btt posted:

World bosses are very poor income if you chain them, probably around 2-3g an hour. I'd skip the world boss portal device, which would take many years of active play to pay itself off even if it was worth using, and instead spend some of that money on a commander tag. It will be especially valuable for you as you play at off-peak hours.

I mean, what is "worth using?" If your only motivation is generating gold, then yeah, it's not really worth it. But it announces when a world boss is coming up and gives you a free teleport there, which is a low-intensity activity that runs on a constant cycle and is easy to slot in between other activities.

Sure, you can get most of the way there by keeping "/wiki et" open in a separate window; but as a convenience item priced at $5 USD, it seems just about right if you're into doing random open-world activities. The equivalent device for the HoT metas, on the other hand, is maybe less useful, since it just cycles through those same four activities (plus Dry Top sandstorms), which occur on a very predictable schedule

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

..btt posted:

Yeah, that's fair, of course. My first response was to Mailer who was specifically looking to increase his farming efficiency, which the world boss teleporter is useless for, imo.

Ah right, I forgot about that context. Definitely not good for that use case, but I reflexively leap to the defense of that item every now and then since a lot of people just ask "what's the point??"

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Mailer posted:

I don't understand how you guys played without them, honestly. Arenanet seemed pretty invested in jumping puzzles, and the maps are reasonably dense by MMO standards, but walking through metas would be infuriating and walking in general always sucks. I guess everyone just spammed quickness all the time.

Pre-PoF maps were a lot smaller, but also yes, there was definitely value in having a build that had perma-swiftness or a 25% speed increase trait/signet/rune

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

GW2 mounts really are a hell of a design achievement. Each one feels unique and is a joy to use, and they really do seem to have a lot of personality to them

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

MajorBonnet posted:

Fingers crossed the weeklies take casuals into account. I like WvW, but maxing out the skirmish track takes more time than I play the game each week, so some additional tickets would be nice.

Yeah, I can't be hosed to keep banging my head against the WvW wall every week, so I'm getting maybe like 10% of the current skirmish ticket max every week, if that. If it doesn't take too much time to get the weeklies done, I'd effectively be doubling my current skirmish ticket rate. Maybe I'll get that legendary armor set one day after all!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I feel like you could do that kind of thing with any half decent build, and it's more just about having a willing squad who knows how to use the build

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/127247-february-14-balance-update-preview/

Some good-rear end changes for guardian in this one. Willbender virtues now stack instead of overwriting each other, so maybe alacrity willbender will become a little more viable as you can keep up your DPS with the F1 virtue. And they actually buffed the hammer! Now the ranged immobilize skill will grant barrier if you connect with it, the third auto-attack (with the built-in symbol) executes faster, and mighty blow (the big smash) will teleport you to your target if you launched them with banish in the past five seconds. That last part sounds pretty interesting, since previously you'd probably have to lock them in with the hammer 5 ring first to ensure that the launch wouldn't put them too far away.

I still dislike the GW2 system of having auto-attack chains with poor readability and back-loaded damage/effects (the hammer is the only guardian weapon with its symbol tied to its auto-attack), but I might give it a try just to see if it's worth using now

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

..btt posted:

Different enemies will require different strategies, but when played well, you can quite easily solo even most of the big hero point encounters in HoT on firebrand.

This reminds me: what are some good open-world benchmarks for the soloability of a build? Smacking a stationary golem around is all well and good, but it's important to know how much sustain a build has when your target will actually fight back

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Ha, I picked the same helmet, shoulder, and back for my guardian (I guess all three skins are cross–armor class), until I realized that the dragonrender helmet has clipping issues with asura ears :sigh:

The rest of the outift was the gem store prayer bead gauntlets, the raven robe, and then I think martial footwraps, but you can hardly see it under the robe anyway

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Nektu posted:

Well, customer support hosed up.

They reimbursed me for a wrong item that I bought (bought the exotic version of triumphant armor instead of the ascended one), and instead of giving me back 175 wvw tickets and 250 memories of battle, they gave me 10075 tickets and 250 memories of battle. They mail from them contained a stack of 100 ticket items and another of 75. The each item on the 75er stack translated into a single ticket, each item in the 100er stack translated into 100 tickets :v:

Time to buy all the legendary armor!

You goddamn son of a bitch, I've been lusting after legendary armor for years but just can't find the time or the regularity to grind raids/WvW for it

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Pseudoscorpion posted:

hey guys what's going on in this thread right now

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Trying to come back and wrap up the Gyala Delve stuff in preparation for SotO, and I had completely forgotten that Rama is voiced by Noshir Dalal, who recently played Bode in Jedi: Survivor. It was real weird hearing the same voice with more or less the same cadence/attitude but attached to an Asian Canthan detective with a big hat

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Finally wrapped up the Gyala Delve chapter, and man, they really know how to mark the definitive end of a story arc, huh

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Mr. Neutron posted:

Bunny is the only mount that skyscale truly obsoletes. I still use all the other ones pretty regularly. Well, save for jackal since I never had any use for it whatsoever in the first place and the turtle cause lol.

I believe the springer's dismount attack still does the most breakbar damage, so at the very least it's still good for engaging bosses. Also, the jackal's dash is able to follow the ground on an incline, unlike the raptor which just comes to a halt, so it's good for going up ramps and stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Also is that "right combo" for the ascended gear different from what you had before? Ascended vs. exotic isn't that big a difference, but using the right stat combo is huge. There's a few agreed-upon best sets for most types of builds, a whole ton of trap options, and some very niche builds that mix and match from different combos to min-max certain stats