Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Any decent websites for a newbie like Prydwen? Keqingmains? There's a whole hell of a lot of AI written trash out there when just googling things.

I'm picking back up my account again after finishing most of the easy star rail content and wanting more. I'd made a few attempts at this game years ago but was annoyed at missing Aloy by only a day, and because I rerolled for a week and got Jean but then put it down, forgot which login I'd used, and ended up with just my original account with no 5*.

I left off at adventurer level 10 so I figure anything goes for a while if I keep people leveled but do any of these stand out to avoid or work on? Is it worth going for either of the banner characters? Neither looks exciting though the wind guy was fun to play in his demo.

MC, Amber, Lisa, Noelle, Kaeya are from the campaign and newbie quests I think with Barbara coming and maybe a few others. I did notice Barbara is a support from the char trials so I assume she will be important.
Then I got Beidou and Xiangling from pulls I think. Looks like I'll get a second copy of Xiangling from floor 3 of spiral abyss.

My plan is just to pick whatever 4 and play through the story and see what I get through free pulls. I also need to push my adv level so I can do events when they are active so thats my main goal right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Thanks for the replies and tips, sounds good. I'll aim my free pulls at the "wind guy" banner for now and might go sequence break exploring if I need a break from the story or want to change things up for my MC.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I'm just starting and wish I could ditch Paimon already even if it meant Amber and Kaeya tagging along everywhere. I do get a sensible chuckle from her chatter every now and then.

I hit the first ascension jumping from 20 to 40, which feels a bit much. Maybe I was supposed to stop at 30 for a bit while bringing more of my roster up. I picked up a few more characters. Something Sara the lightning archer, Layla the sleepy lightning shielder, and a couple copies of the little kid with the polearm and healing turnips. Layla has been a huge help along with Beidou in letting me be lazy and not dodge attacks, gotta build those bad habits early. A couple of my characters look to require ascension mats from another country to go past 20, though I haven't checked all the shops or crafting yet.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Star Rail does that too, it will be all silence then randomly your character will muse aloud to themselves about what's going on, or will speak up. It's like only one of the five writers or programmers remembers they recorded all these hours of dialogue and the rest just assume standard silent protagonist.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

There's no 5* selector at XXX standard banner pulls in Genshin like there is in Star Rail? Just checking, I don't see it and google doesn't help. I saw someone say how long it took them by comparison but maybe they just meant thats how long it took them to hit 300 pulls at release.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I'm one of the new players with Kazuha (and a couple of Inazuma 4*) but at least its making me use and appreciate the core crew more. I just hit AR23 to start the Liyue story. Could have happened sooner but I was running all over the mountains for hours looking for more ore to craft my iron sting and seeing how annoying its going to be to get the last 10% or so of area completions.

I've got random people asking to join my world, is there any reason to either accept or decline?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

UHD posted:

i liked noelle's but i also like noelle

Noelle is great, I've started using her for mining ore since I crafted a sword for Traveler and am working on farming another for her but running around getting ore is painfully reminding me of leveling mining and smithing back in the early world of warcraft days. I haven't gotten any good 2hers yet so I want to make her one then catch her up to my main group. I'm just finishing up the starting crew to 40 so of course I'm half an adventurer rank from unlocking the next tier and starting again.

I lost 50/50 on Alhaitham but got Jean. So now I don't have to worry about the rerolled account with her that I lost the login for back in the day and have a guarantee for the next 5* I hit.

Whats the best way to farm xp books? It's the very first thing you can actively farm in star rail and I haven't noticed an equivalent yet in Genshin. I need to look over the dungeons again. I need a good outlet for resin, I never finish using all of it each day because there's so much else to do and it takes so long. I'm spoiled by star rail where you can just set it on auto on your phone to burn it off.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Good tips thanks I'll pay more attention to what gives what.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

How's Fischl for a new account? I've got enough glitter for one shop 4* and don't intend to pull enough to afford another anytime soon. I might restock in time for Bennett in November if I'm still playing, I assume he's #1 if I don't have him yet. I don't have either of September's and I like Ningguang though I'm just starting the Liyue story. The other is Xingqui, don't know much about him yet. Don't have Razor for October, I have his sidequest with the wolves started but so far he just seems okay. I've got all the rest and would rather get a new character than a constellation for now. So I guess Fischl, Ningguang, Xingqui, Razor or save it all for Bennett and Bennett constellations?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

So there's more competition for my glitter than I thought. I'll wait til the end of the month before pulling the trigger on Fischl, maybe I'll luck into one from pulls and cut my list down. Thanks.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

It is extremely fuzzy for me because it was years ago now but I don't think they signposted that Razor's quest has a weekly boss hidden behind it, so remember to finish that one someday rather than put it off and forget it.

Good point, I was guessing at that because I'm trying to get a sword for Noelle and the wind dragon keeps giving me bows, so I noticed there was a wolf themed boss mentioned as a source as well. Thanks for the overview.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

When I was doing the tower defense event a few weeks ago where you could pick any character, one I'd used was a female ice character I think who turned into energy while sprinting. Who was that? I'd thought it was Eula but her sprint is normal.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I got 4 characters I'd never heard of and 1 I could at least picture in my mind, the green haired one with the face mask. So I said she was cute but did the "no idea" answer for every other question.

I hope I helped!

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Despite needing to save for powerful characters since I still barely have a roster, I spent my guarantee on Eula after watching that fan video ^^^, and the vengeance vengeance vengeance vengeance meme song on youtube. Plus I like 2h sword users even if the trounce bosses refuse to give me a northlander claymore billet so far.

Then I saw her birthday voice line... :stare:
Today is a day worth observing, though you shouldn't mark your development in age alone. Accept my gift of a bone whistle, and allow me to teach you its secrets. When your day of reckoning comes, see how long you can fend me off with it... It'll make the whole thing much more exciting.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 21, 2023

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I'm currently not playing but will come back soon. I left off with my newish account in Liyue and have just been logging in for free stuff and kept the daily gems going for a while before dropping it. It turns out I'm now pretty close to pity with a decent handful of saved pull currency, and there are some good characters up currently and coming up. I'll probably lose the 50-50, but is Raiden Shogun the best bet for when I inevitably come back to the game? Or would one of the current banners or a near future peep be a better pick?

My roster:
5* - Jean, Eula, Kazuha, Yelan

4* - Ningguang, Kirara, Noelle c1, Kaeya, Lisa, Barbara, Amber c2, Rosaria, Xiangling c3, Layla, Beidou, Yaoyao c5, Thoma c2, Lynette, Faruzan, Heizou c3, Sayu, Mika c1, Sara c2, Fischl, Collei, Xingqiu, Yanfei, Bennett

Next time I play I'll start pushing through to Inazuma and start getting some characters up to try out.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Thanks all for the advice.

I did a few pulls on Zhong last summer but I'd just gotten Yelan. I think I just missed Kuki Shinobu last patch as well.

I think I'll do the trials for the current banner and see if I like either of them, and pull til I hit pity if so since I'm close. Then win or lose or skip, I'll save for Nahida. I really enjoyed playing her in the event last spring/summer where you could try all kinds of built characters and run them through trap and wind mazes and stuff.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Peanut3141 posted:

What are you trying to accomplish with your account? Because a lot of the advice you were just given seems to be for very different purposes. Zhongli is awesome for overworld and mining, but he's not great in abyss. Conversely, Nilou is middling in overworld but just deletes any AoE abyss floors.

Best all-around advice is pull the characters you like. Overworld is piss easy once you build out your characters and the abyss can be cleared by subpar characters. It just takes a bit more investment. For example, Alhaitham and Hu Tao are undeniably strong, but I don't like the characters or their playstyle so I don't have them. Can still easily accomplish anything the game offers.

Collect and level up a stable of pretty people, play through the storyline, and do the events that aren't too time consuming once I'm caught up.

When I last played I got really bored chasing down leylines for xp daily so I'm hoping thats more convenient once I get to the later maps.

I'll probably never go hard on abyss, I usually tap out 2/3 through in Star Rail despite having the roster to go farther if I'd just spend a bit more time tuning their gear.

e: I mostly posted in case there was a no brainer choice that would work well with who I have, I thought that Raiden might be a must grab like Nahida, and had no idea if Navia was any good. I appreciate the reviews & advice and will put some thought into it.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 4, 2024

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

After trying them out I went for the shiny new Navia. Lost the 50-50 and got Tighnari. I saw him mentioned a few times in the last page so yay I guess. Now I have a guarantee in my pocket.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I'm playing this again after bouncing off the time consuming dailies last year. Genshin really goes all out on the scenery. Story-wise I'm still in early Liyue. I got a notification an event was ending soon so I decided to run out to Fontaine. Since everything level scaled and was pretty sparse it wasn't as exciting as crossing Everquest or WoW at a low level but was still fun. Took the canal tour of Fontaine, got lost in the city a while, then decided I'd rather skip the event and go back to the archon story. Spent the rest of the day tooling around Liyue with Zhongli getting funeral stuff together. Tedious but some met great characters. I'm bummed I didn't get to nab a cocogoat for Qiqi.

I would have been back sooner had I known the game had songs like this squirreled away, drat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ5QxR8nVbI

though Shazam mistook it for this strange remix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_EZc3FlTZw

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Eimi posted:

Though no matter what that image says, I will never use Bennett! Nothing can make me!

But teamwork is the dreamwork?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I finished the main Liyue quest with Zhongli and Childe and had a dozen new quests pop up with conflicting warnings about busy characters so that will be fun to untangle. I'll do some beetle battling and teapot unlocking later. In the meantime I ran back out to Fontaine for some blade dance event mission that was ending. It had some guest chars to borrow.

Navia is redonkulous and I'm bummed I lost her 50-50. Got almost max points carried by her despite my undergeared mostly 30ish teams. I didn't do as well on the others but playing punchmans with Wesley-Batman was awesome too and I'll have to watch for his rerun.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I finally played enough to hit Inazuma last night and can start farming ascensions for Kazuha and my other peeps I've had for ages. Downside is I also hit AR35 and my 40 Yelan and Eula can no longer carry me as easily with the difficulty upgrade. Time to pause the story and do some character building. It feels like I need to go back to the Nationals trio (Benny and the Jets Xes) for a solid base, or wait and see if I get Nahida this week and how much she helps.

I did the ice mountain last night to unlock the cryo boss for Eula and that was pretty painful underleveled. I went through all my food stockpile and expect Inazuma won't be much easier.

Edit: I think I'm also at the level where I should stop going wide and focus on a main team for a while. I ran into that problem in Star Rail, where I got to play with everyone I had but their traces and artifacts were poo poo for a long time since I kept jumping to new ones.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 29, 2024

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Gearman posted:

As someone that tapped out halfway through Inazuma and only recently came back:

- You can downgrade your World Level by 1 to make things a bit easier. I recommend it if things feel too tough and you just want to be able to farm your materials and resources a bit more quickly.

Good to know, I'll keep that in mind thanks.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Captain France posted:

Heads up you're probably going to want an electro unit in Inazuma, at least for puzzles and pickups. I don't remember all of your teams, but personally I'd recommend Fischl if you have her, Beidou as a decent substitute (who also lets you cheat at some puzzles). They'd work well with Eula as a sub-dps / superconductor, or a combination of Xingqui or Yelan (both if you're feeling spicy, but that means not having a healer or on-fielding one of them,) someone with good element application, (Sucrose is my go-to, not sure who else works for taser. Barbara?) and a healer.

You could also just switch in an electro whenever you need one for a puzzle, but that could get annoying.

Good to know. I had that problem in Liyue and the ice mountain, having to swap in geo traveler or Jean to activate pillars when I wasn't using them in my team. I'm spoiled for choice with electro but don't have anyone built yet except 50 Lisa (and 60 main char who just got electro too). I do have C0 Fischl and Beidou, and C6 Sara.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Got my Nahida. Her voice lines warm my heart. Time to break continuity by having her join me on the Inazuma archon quest. Had to go on a pilgrimage to find the dendro hypostasis who joined the cryo one in dying to 10+ minutes of undergeared underleveled Amber charged shots until I get my teams sorted out.

and also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPsJU4XJ7vs

I'm guessing by all the memes that I shouldn't rush to build her as well.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Does the Chenyu Vale map continue the story from Fontaine, or is it stand alone?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

First person pov silent protagonist and everyone else just calls them Traveler.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I'm at AR39 in inazuma with a party of 60s with 60 weapons and 6* blue artifacts. Things got so much easier as they came together - my shiny new Nahida, Xingqiu, Bennett and lightning MC. Gonna take MC to 70 tonight but the rest will require some farming. Before getting Nahida things were painful outside of Yelan's burst. Had to drop Yelan as she's stuck at 40 until I go find a ruin snake.

I assume I'll need to get all of my team to 70 if AR40 ups my world level.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I don't have Xinyan or Yun Jin, is it worth grabbing either if I have no plans to run them anytime soon? I've got C4 Xiangling so I think I'm going to wait til I'm done pulling on the banner and either try to finish off Gaming since I want to try him out, or put it into Xingqiu since I'm running him now and he's only C0. Yaoyao is C5, everyone else including Beidou is C0.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Rabbit Hill posted:

(Neuvillette's C1 would be really sweet, but not game-changing. However, to anyone reading this who does not have Neuvillette, get him. No hand-wringing or hesitation necessary. 100% get him.)

How so? I heard he's just a big high damage laser, or is the laser just that much fun? While checking his element I saw it says he's pneuma aligned and vaguely remember hearing about pneuma and ousia when Fontaine was new. Did that end up amounting to much?

I'm debating where to go next with my pulls. Probably Chiori since I have no geo besides Noelle and Ningguang. Zhongli and Furina are windmill slams but won't be back around for a bit yet.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

drat. Okay, on the list he goes.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I think I'm spoiling myself doing sidequests with Nahida and hyperbloom. 1 giant robot followed by 3 giant robots followed by some flying robot monstrosity? Sure, why not, I'll just paint them with sparkly green lights then splash water and lightning around and everything dies in seconds. I did have to retreat and bring in Yelan for the flying one though as it flew up to the cavern ceiling and got stuck.

I need to get back to the Inazuma main quest tonight though because I just read it has some real time gates that make you wait a day between quest steps without being able to turn the clock ahead.

How does coop work? Like if I go to farm VV artifacts and hit match, does it look for someone else who hit match on that domain? Or is there somewhere to sign up generically to get pulled in to whatever someone asks for help with?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I was wondering about that with the Lantern Rite. Xianyun has her own story but it continues right into this year's Lantern Rite, and Gaming's IS the lantern rite story. The Fontaine crew in part 4 isn't as big as those (I assume, I haven't gotten to Fontaine yet so I look forward to these people trying to murder me when we meet for the "first" time later this year) but its still moments you'll miss out on if you don't do the event before it ends, or start playing afterwards.

They really should add in an event archive even if its just cutscenes to watch with automated dialogue. Or insert an in-game link to that youtube channel that archives them all.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

I got bird mom

doing the big plunge is epic

Bird mom is great and feels great to play. She's just a tad... overenthusiastic.

Scatter! Skyward!

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I finished the Inazuma archon story and am on to the Chasm. I didn't realize that was added after Inazuma, along with the Liyue interlude introducing Shenhe. I'm going to keep pressing on the archon storyline to try to catch up before Natlan. I'm AR44 now too so the true game gear grind will begin soon enough.

I got Raiden to level 70 over the weekend and swapped her in for electro traveler, and lol, thats a bit of an upgrade. I want to start working on a second team, both for abyss and variety, but I think I should get my main team to 80 first.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Got Diluc off the standard banner last week, and now his C1 losing the 50-50. I don't want Miko or Xiao enough to burn a guarantee on so now I wait for Chiori or Neuv. I guess Diluc's okay, I don't have an on-field fire guy built yet but was eyeballing Gaming for that.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I want to keep focusing archon quests and catch up to Fontaine sooner rather than later. I just finished the post inazuma dainslief interlude in the chasm mines. Now my choices are to do Raiden and Ittos quests then another chasm interlude (which I gather used to come before Dainslief) or just start act 3 sumeru. Would it be terrible to just start Sumeru and come back for the chasm later?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I had to do the Seirai island quest the whole way through to unlock a lightning boss in that adventure guide for my inazuma electro peeps. When I clicked, it pointed me to the quest to do. Some other bosses I've tried in the adventure guide just say "you haven't found them yet" maybe because the map is still under fog of war. I'm curious about the ruin snake next since I entered the chasm for the first time and see it on the map. Maybe I can finally level Yelan past 40 soon.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

How is Arataki Itto? I only ever hear about his english VA Max who was awesome in the most recent Beetle Battle I caught but I realized I haven't heard much about his gameplay. I want to get a geo 5* character but not sure if thats Chiori, Itto, or hold out for a Navia rerun. Zhong Li being a windmill slam for me when he reruns next. I'd quit the game for a few months right before he reran last fall.

Also hopefully my brain didn't steal this from somewhere else but it came to mind last night while trying to get noblesse oblige for XQ and artifacts for Lynx over in HSR:

The artifact set/slot you want won't drop.
If the artifact set/slot you want drops, it won't have the right main stat.
If it has the right main stat, it won't have the right substats.
If it has the right substats, it won't roll them to upgrade.
If it rolls the right substats to upgrade, you spent too much of your time, money or luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Itto does sound fun, I'll give him a shot in his trial, but yeah I don't have any Gorou, no Zhong and no Albedo so he's not the best pick up for me right now.

The three abyss mage artifact domain wanted me to field geo characters with a 75% damage boost and I only have Ningguang, Yunjin and Noelle (+ geo traveler). I ended up crushing that domain with hyperbloom anyway but in the long run I'm looking for geos in case its needed for an abyss or something. Zhongli for sure, then we'll see who I stumble over aside from him.