Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I was talking to my friend over the weekend and turns out he's getting minorly screwed over because most of his college loans are state loans which aren't eligible for forgiveness, and he mentioned that what little federal loans he had he'd kept paying during the moratorium so he only had a few thousand left.

Anyway thanks to this thread I was able to tell him to contact his loan servicer and get all those pandemic payments refunded, so he's working on that. Just wanted to share the story and thank you all for this resource, it's helping more people than you know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

buglord posted:

Was reading that republicans taking the House means forgiveness can be harder, for a number of reasons. Is there any feasible way for a R led House to gum things up more?

In theory yes because without control of the House, Democrats can't pass loan forgiveness into law if the Supreme Court rules against Biden's argument that he has the authority under existing law.
In practice no, because Democrats weren't going to pass a loan forgiveness law anyway or they would have done it already.

Pretty good politicking from Democrats honestly. Announce loan forgiveness, do it in a way that's vulnerable to activist judicial action instead of just passing the law, then let all the blame fall on Republicans as everyone forgets that Dems controlled congress for 2 years and could have passed a law at any time.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ozmunkeh posted:

Yes. They’ve had the ability but not the will or the desire. Not sure what’s confusing you here.

It's been a canard at least since the Obama years that "not having the votes" is some kind of external limitation that's physically impossible to overcome, and not equivalent to "they just didn't want to".

Like if someone asked you for help and you shrug and say "I wish I could but the will just isn't there" this is somehow different than saying "no I don't want to help you" and it becomes unreasonable for the other person to blame you for your inaction, in fact they ought to sympathize with you.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

It's not physically impossible to overcome. You either replace the "no" votes or elect more "yes votes".

You don't even need to do that, the ones there already could choose to vote "yes", they've still got two more months.

But yes I am well aware that from a deterministic standpoint anything I don't want to do is also physically impossible for me to do because my brain is a physical object that obeys physical laws and there is no magic force I can use to make the chemical reactions which determine my will unfold differently from how they do etc, that's why I was able to describe the canard.

Most people don't describe decisionmaking in this way which is why I helpfully chimed in to explain the miscommunication.

Jaxyon posted:

If you want to say "they", ie the entire Democratic caucus, as a whole, "didn't want to", then you can go ahead and prove that. I don't think that's true. I suspect what you mean is something more like "the leadership and/or many more votes than Manchin/Sinema" don't want to, in which case why don't you say that?

This just seems like a semantic quibble, like complaining that someone says Republicans oppose gay marriage even though hashtag not ALL Republicans, but sure whatever enough of the caucus and/or leadership didn't want to pass student loan forgiveness therefore it didn't happen.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 15, 2022

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

I mean if they could but they seem like firm no's so the options I talk about come into play, not sure why you are talking about magic or biochemical reactions and whatnot.

Because someone said they didn't want to and you corrected them and said they didn't have enough votes as if those were different things, I was just explaining why some people treat not wanting to and not voting to do something as though they were different because it tends to be confusing the first time someone encounters it.

Jaxyon posted:

I mean whether or not ALL republicans oppose a thing, or just most, or just a few, is a relavant thing in a congressional system, just as it is for Democrats.

If only a few votes are the difference, that's a lot less of a problem than if a larger portion of Democrats oppose a thing. How many votes oppose a thing isn't semantics, it's literally how politics works.
Well true enough I suppose, depending on context. If we were congressional whips strategizing over how to get enough votes, divining who the holdouts are would be very important.

But we're not, so it isn't. And we don't have that information anyway even if it were useful in this conversation.

And normally we don't get these semantic objections, so it seems rather silly. Like can we not say "the GOP wants to ban abortion" because Susan Collins exists. Of course not.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

One statement was that "democrats" wanted a thing, my correct. One asserts a quasi-hivemind in order to make assertions, the other accurately describes reality.

Nobody asserted a quasi-hivemind.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

I'm open to other interpretations of how "the democrats don't want a thing" is not that

Because it just isn't that's not how the language works. Talking about the goals of an organization does not mean its members are a hivemind. A quick search shows you use the same construction (bolding mine):

Jaxyon posted:

Democrats would have to actually do something, which is much harder at the national level. They don't want to, but if they did it would be harder than what the republicans do.

So we can conclude either (1) you believe "Democrats" are a quasi-hivemind since you said [the Democrats] don't want a thing or (2) this semantic argument is stupid

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh ok so you did always understand nobody was asserting anything about a hivemind

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I wonder if this moratorium extension might influence the court.

Nothing apparently stops him from extending it another two years if he wants, at some point it's going to be worth more than the 10k/20k one-time forgiveness, and it also applies to new loans being taken out right now.

And even if he doesn't get reelected, that means saddling his republican successor with the problem of continuing the moratorium or pissing off everyone with student debt

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The moratorium is already much more expensive than forgiveness. Forgiveness is estimated to cost around $400 to $500 billion. The pause costs about $50 billion per month.

Interesting.

So in other words just this lawsuit alone is going to end up forgiving 50% of the total amount of the actual forgiveness. Solely because it extended the moratorium for 5 months.

And Biden could always do 5 more. Or actually 12 more since a lawsuit to force an end to it would take another year to work its way through.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dang.

But those numbers make a lot more sense thanks for double checking.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

We've got to gently caress over former students so lenders will have the resources to gently caress over future students

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

Just bring back the pause.

Emergency is the Supreme Court is flagrantly corrupt and politicized.

Biden gave away his authority to do that last month in the negotiations on the debt ceiling bill. Payments restarting this fall is now law.

E: source
https://studentaid.gov/announcements-events/covid-19

quote:

Congress recently passed a law preventing further extensions of the payment pause. Student loan interest will resume starting on Sept. 1, 2023, and payments will be due starting in October.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 30, 2023

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

zimbomonkey posted:

Those changes weren't really widely publicized so they don't have any momentum behind striking them down. I would guess that most of the people who oppose student loan forgiveness don't actually know how the system works and don't realize that this means people will just be paying pennies anyway. Their entire view on this issue was "giving money to liberals=bad."
Most rank and file conservatives no, the billionaires and superPACs funding these lawsuits probably know how loans work though

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Anyone can try to file a lawsuit any time they want, but there's no guarantee that a court would give it the time of day.

Yeah I remember I heard that before this lawsuit too

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That's pretty obviously what they meant, I doubt they were simply wondering whether any lawyers are still capable of filing paperwork with a court.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Craig K posted:

in all honestly i don't see how this doesn't get the same "whoa dude that's way too much money to spend without the input of congress" today's 6-3 decision got

If they cared about that they would have passed a forgiveness law in the first place when they controlled congress.

It's a political move at this point, show the people that Biden is trying everything he still can and the court is stopping them.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

pencilhands posted:

Is there any chance of the pause being extended again?

Biden signed legislation last month that specifically made it illegal to extend the pause again so unless Republicans agree to pass another law restoring that power, there is no chance.

That's why his "on-ramp" to repayment is very explicitly not another pause.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If your payments don't cover the interest then unpaid interest is forgiven under the SAVE plan instead of being added to your balance, but with a loan balance of only 15k that's probably not going to apply to you.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

How is a for-profit business advocacy group trying to undo regulations that protect the public not "political"?

It may not be partisan, as in they are suing because they oppose the policy rather than because a Democrat is in charge, but it is certainly political.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You don't have to mash all your loans together to qualify, you can just consolidate the FFEL ones into a direct consolidation loan and leave your existing direct loans as they are if you have lower interest rates on your direct loans that you don't want subsumed into an overall average rate. Your direct loans should already qualify for REPAYE/SAVE

If your payments are $0 the interest doesn't matter since unpaid interest won't accrue on the SAVE plan, but since you're concerned about getting a high paying job later, yeah once that happens you'll save a bit of money if you leave lower interest direct loans out of the consolidation because then you'd be able to selectively direct extra payments to the higher interest consolidation loan.

The big gotcha to watch out for is don't mix in things like parent PLUS loans into loan consolidation, or consolidate graduate and undergraduate loans together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Most servicers do that because they want you in autopay.

Even private lenders do that.