Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

Bleach is healthy. It's mostly water. And we're mostly water. Therefore, we are bleach.

What is Pokemon Insurgence

Pokemon Insurgence is (to my knowledge) the second Pokemon fangame developed by TheSuzerian and created with Pokemon Essentials, which is basically a glorified version of RPG Maker for Pokemon games. The first Pokemon fangame The Suzerian developed was Pokemon Zeta and Omicron (and as of writing this, Solitair is currently doing a Screenshot LP of Pokemon Zeta that is 18 parts in). Insurgence has often been regarded as one of the best Pokemon fangames out there, but then again Uranium is also on that short list, so perhaps that isn't a very high bar to reach. Insurgence is well known for it's dark storyline and high difficulty, as well as many quality of life improvements it has over the main series and it's Delta Pokemon. Its gameplay mechanics are based off of the 6th generation of Pokemon (X/Y/ORAS).

Why are you LP'ing Pokemon Insurgence

To put it simply, I'm bored, unemployed and need a new project to work on and pass time, so myself who knows jack poo poo about Pokemon along with Pokemon experts FlamingRok and RycarFlareshine (as well as BeekBeek85 at times) are working together to help me get through a bunch of Pokemon fangames. That's right, this is the first of many I'm planning on doing. So I plan to make this an ongoing series of Let's Play's. Rycar wanted me to do Insurgence first because of the ones I have planned, it's the most well-known, the hardest of the lot and also the longest.

What's your experience with the series

I'm as casual as it gets when it comes to Pokemon. I do not play competitively in any way. I constantly have to be reminded what weaknesses are and what natures do what. I have no idea what IV's and EV's are or how they work (But I'm forced to learn how they work for this). Don't expect this to be a skillful LP. This will be as laid-back as it gets.

What type of Let's Play is this going to be

This LP is entirely blind, will be played on Normal difficulty and we'll be playing the Dark story for maximum cringe edgyness. This will also be a video LP. For the purpose of this LP however, I'm mostly only going to be using Delta Pokemon, the new regional form of Pokemon designed for Insurgence. I will be using regular pokemon for the first bit of the game however until I start unlocking the conditions that allow me to catch Delta Pokemon. Each part I plan to edit to be around an hour in length.

Spoilers? Requests? Recommendations?

I don't really care that much about spoilers, as since starting this thread, I'm already several sessions in on playing through the game (We've been streaming it over on my Twitch for about 4 hours at a time most nights). But for the sake of others wanting to experience this game for the first time, let's leave the spoilers to a minimum. As for requests and recommendations, again, I'm already several sessions in with playing through the game. I wanted to experience the game for myself. Maybe I'll take requests and recommendations for future fangames though.

If you have any suggestions however, shoot them over here. This is my first ever LP I've done (outside of an old Sonic Adventure 2 LP I did back in 2017 that I only got a couple parts in under an old account). I plan to adjust some things already in future for the other Pokemon fangame LPs I have planned, like where the Discord overlay is on the video because at times it covers up the text and the UI. Because of that fact much of this was already recorded, for consistency sake, I'll be going ahead with how it's laid out, but whatever suggestion folks may have I can put to use in my next project after Insurgence.

Episodes:

Sprasshu fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
:allears: I'm so down for this you have no idea. Will be nice to read hear someone else's thoughts on it.

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

Bleach is healthy. It's mostly water. And we're mostly water. Therefore, we are bleach.

Here we are, the beginning of the playthrough. After dealing with some technical issues, our adventures begin in the region of Torren, where some emulator bugs happen because I'm playing the game on the Large window setting because Huge is too big and the other 2 are too small. Thanks Pokemon Essentials!

In this opening part, we find out about a man whose simply known as the Second Augur about how the region of Torren is plagued by the influence of 5 different cults. The first cult we meet is the Cult of Darkrai. They are a simplistic bunch with simplistic goals and have an affinity for blood and bubbly goo, as both can be found all around their base. Their leader is a sadistic woman by the name of Persephone, who sacrifies her cult members in order to summon Darkrai, only for Darkrai to immediately gently caress off every time.

(I'll be attaching the pictures of the main characters we meet as we get to them in the story)

Anyways, we start out captured in their headquarters having our memory wiped by a Gengar, but are then spared by Mew, who has chosen to protect us. Mew has the ability to transform our appearance, so after rolling around in the blood of a recently killed cultist, we are then capable of transforming into said dead cultist and explore the base. This lead into us meeting the other cultists and witnessing Persephone's sacrificial ritual, which is beyond pathetic.

I'll summarize it with these 2 screenshots and a gif:

After this, Persephone gets big mad, burns 2 more Cultists to death with her Houndoom and leaves. We then make our escape to discover that the cultist's base was located in a tiny cave. After exiting the cave, we head south towards Telnor Town, where Mew gives us a flute and vanishes. I didn't make a status screen for Mew for this reason. In Telnor Town, we meet our first of the game's 2 rivals, Damian.

Sure wish I could find higher res sprites for these portraits.

If I had to compare Damian to any other rival, it would be Barry from Diamond/Pearl/Platinum in the sense that he's an outgoing idiot.

We also meet the Professor Oak of this game in this town, Professor Sylvan.

As per tradition, here is where we get our first Pokemon of the game. However, here is also where the game takes a turn. Introduced in Pokemon Insurgence is Delta Pokemon, a form of regional Pokemon unique to the Torren and later Holon regions. The Pokemon she has for you are the bog standard starters of Charmander, Squirtle and Bulbasaur, but like the regional Pokemon from the Alola region of Generation 7, these Pokemon have a different appearance and typing. Let's go over them now!

After looking at the final evolutions of each, I came to the conclusion that 2 of these are horrifying designs and 1 of them is just generic. So process of elimination means I'm not picking the generic one (Squirtle). Rok suggested that I should choose the Charmander for maximum edge, so to fit the theme of the game, I ultimately chose the Charmander as my starter.

I named him Infnite at the suggestion of Rycar wanting me to name him Infinite (from Sonic Forces), but I spelt it wrong. There is a Name Rater and Move Deleter in every Pokemon Center (one of the many quality of life improvements this game makes), but we all liked the typo enough that I kept it. Also I didn't include the Level or Gender in the video because of the lack of room I have with the overlay.

It's also worth noting that you can get an Eevee as your starter as well if you are lame and hate fun.

Continuing on with the story now, we have to accompany Damian to Telnor Cave because his abusive father and step-mother demand he do something with his life and go fetch a Rare Stone for the Second Augur. I then proceeded to fight the trainers in the route before Telnor Cave, in which I got into a Struggle fight with an Aipom and a Starly because of loving Sand-Attack, leading me to catch another Pokemon in the area, Gastly.

If I'm being honest, I mostly got this Pokemon so I wouldn't get Sand-Attack walled again. I don't think I really switched to DREAM EATER much, but it still served a purpose.

Next episode, we'll be getting through Telnor Cave, catch some more temporary party members, and meet our other rival.

Sprasshu fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 21, 2022

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

DoubleNegative posted:

:allears: I'm so down for this you have no idea. Will be nice to read hear someone else's thoughts on it.

Glad to hear it. I was told prior by Rok that you did an excellent screenshot LP of this in the past, as he was concerned I wouldn't get much of an audience for this thread for this reason. Hope you enjoy the videos!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Indeed, this is my favorite Pokemon Fangame to date. I am a fan of darker stories, and this game definitely scratched that itch without getting too consistently ridiculous into the Turbo-Edge, and also manages to be dark and threatening while still respecting the player's power, unlike some games which suffer from Cardboard Cutout Protagonist Syndrome, where the protagonist just stands there letting terrible things happen, even to themselves, without lifting a single finger to attempt to stop it, and I had to actually stop playing Unbound because I got so mad at this problem.

I will say, I too chose Charmander my first time through for various reasons, but there is a very good reason to potentially go with Eevee, but it takes until around Gym 3 for that to pay off.

Also, I don't know if the others mention it in the next few videos since that one obviously cut off mid-session and you've got a few videos prepared ahead, but it looked like you scrolled past it a bit too fast to take notice; but the guy who gave you the HM indicated as such; Cut may be an HM, but there is no point in Insurgence where cut is actually needed as an HM. There are no cut trees in the game.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 26, 2022

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I'm only familiar with five Pokemon fangames: Insurgence, Zeta/Omicron, Uranium, Reborn and Rejuvenation, and I'd say Insurgence is the most charming of them all. That said, the bar is indeed not that high and it helps to look at all of these games through the lens of outsider art.

I'm thinking of starting my own egg randomizer run in that game, since I don't like the way the regular randomizer works. Instead of shuffling the way to obtain Pokemon so you get a different seven options on the starting route, it just picks from everything in the Pokedex every time you run into a wild or trainer Pokemon. It's difficult for me to resist the call of completionism when I play a Pokemon game, and I'd like a mode that doesn't make it a crapshoot while also mixing things up and letting me get different options earlier.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 26, 2022

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
I will be watching this I am always up for people reacting to pokemon fangames. Out of curiosity what other fangames are you planning on playing after this one?

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

Drashin posted:

I will be watching this I am always up for people reacting to pokemon fangames. Out of curiosity what other fangames are you planning on playing after this one?

Infinity, Xenoverse and Bushido were the other ones I got lined up to play currently. Might check out Clockwork, Rejuvenation and Unbound as well. Rok won't do Reborn with me and I don't want to muster up the courage to attempt Uranium again any time soon.

Sprasshu fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 26, 2022

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

BlazetheInferno posted:

Indeed, this is my favorite Pokemon Fangame to date. I am a fan of darker stories, and this game definitely scratched that itch without getting too consistently ridiculous into the Turbo-Edge, and also manages to be dark and threatening while still respecting the player's power, unlike some games which suffer from Cardboard Cutout Protagonist Syndrome, where the protagonist just stands there letting terrible things happen, even to themselves, without lifting a single finger to attempt to stop it, and I had to actually stop playing Unbound because I got so mad at this problem.

I will say, I too chose Charmander my first time through for various reasons, but there is a very good reason to potentially go with Eevee, but it takes until around Gym 3 for that to pay off.

Also, I don't know if the others mention it in the next few videos since that one obviously cut off mid-session and you've got a few videos prepared ahead, but it looked like you scrolled past it a bit too fast to take notice; but the guy who gave you the HM indicated as such; Cut may be an HM, but there is no point in Insurgence where cut is actually needed as an HM. There are no cut trees in the game.

As of beginning editing these streams together into an LP, I am rather far in the game (6 sessions in, about to do session #7 tonight and 6 gyms beaten, while grinding up cash and EV's offscreen). I realized that Cut and Fly are essentially worthless early on in the playthrough, and I did catch an HM slave only to immediately dump it after realizing that it isn't necessary. But I did miss the message about the fact that there was no cut trees in the game from the woodcutter, there are quite a few points in the game where I was only half-paying attention to the dialog and a few instances where that also screwed me up.

As for the Eevee, I get that it has a use and Rycar who is also playing along did go with it and is sweeping with it in his playthrough. It gets a Mega Stone halfway in the game and when you mega evolve it, it has a busted ability, he did tell me all of this during starter selection, but I cut a good chunk of it because it took me a while to decide which starter I wanted to take until I was sent what the final evolutions for each starter was. Eevee just seemed like the un-fun choice to pick was all.

Sprasshu fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 26, 2022

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Unlike Reborn, Insurgence is still able to capture the spirit of pokemon even with the edgier content and it doesn't have the baffling design decisions that Uraniam has. It is a certified good game, just hard as hell.

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

Part 2 is out now! When we last left off, we entered Telnor Cave in the search for a Rare Stone to present to the Second Augur as a gift. Inside the cave, we acquire 2 new temporary Pokemon to use on our team of misfits. The first was a Cubone.

The second, which we caught later on, was a Diglett.

Now is the time I think we go over the Natures and IVs of our Pokemon. Because this game is rather difficult even on Normal difficulty, it's important to stay on the up and up with your Pokemon's individual stats. So let's start with Infnite:

- Nature: Hardy | Neutral (Neutral, ok could be better could be worse)
- Ability: Spirit Call | Powers up Ghost moves when low on HP (Alright, checks out)
- IVS:

Well we aren't going physical with Infnite, that's for sure, but it's decent nonetheless.

Now it's time to get sad and look at the stats of our other Pokemon!

DREAM EATER
- Nature: Gentle | + Sp. Defense / - Defense (Alright, that's decent. Gastly is more Special oriented)
- Ability: Levitate | Immunity from Ground moves (Cool, Gastly is part Poison so that's useful)
- IVS:

Passable I guess. DREAM EATER is covered on Special Defense for sure.

The Sadboy

- Nature: Hasty | + Speed / - Defense (A plus speed Cubone, not ideal)
- Ability: Rock Head | Protection from recoil damage (Better than Lightning Rod)
- IVS:

That's one speedy Sadboy. You know what else is sad? Me after seeing that Attack IV.

The Dugler

- Nature: Bold | + Defense / - Attack (gently caress)
- Ability: Sand Veil | Boosts evasion in a sandstorm (Double gently caress, Arena Trap would of been better)
- IVS:

I can maybe work with The Sadboy for a bit, but this thing is fodder.

Well with that disappointment out of the way, let's resume retelling our tale of where we are currently in our adventure. As we clear out the trainers inside Telnor Cave, we come across 2 cultists, one from the Infernal cult and one from the Abyssal cult respectively and discover their plot to attempt to assassinate the Second Augur. We then head back to Telnor Town to inform the Second Augur of the cult's plan to assassinate him, only to be met with scrutiny, until 2 disguised citizens inside of Town Hall reveal themselves to be cultists from the Infernal and Abyssal cult. Damian challenges the Infernal cultist to battle, while we are left battling the Abyssal cultist.

Didn't make a portrait yet for the Cult of Darkrai Cultists because we haven't fought one yet. That won't come for a while!

Anyways, this fight marks where I fight whited out. I likely won't be whiting out too often in this playthrough, because I typically have been abusing using reset with F12. I will be having a counter go up each time I white out/reset.

This cultist fight sucks for my team to fight. He has a Lv. 12 Skrelp and a Lv. 13 Horsea. Initially I thought he'd be an easy wipe and set up with Confuse Ray, until I learned of one of Skrelp's moves.

Wiped Infnite out in 2 turns, then Horsea swept with Water Gun. After losing this fight, I went back to Telnor Cave to grind up Infnite to Lv. 13 and The Sadboy to Lv. 12, then tried the fight again. On my second attempt, because of Sadboy's Hasty nature, he outsped the Skrelp and defeated it, allowing Infnite to wipe out the Horsea with ease afterwards. After defeating the cultists, we then carry on with finishing our exploration of Telnor Cave, and find Route 1 on the other side.

Route 1 has a couple things of note to it. Near the end of it lies the Dark Cave. I kinda hold off on exploring it for now though because I'm still unaware at this point of the fact that HMs aren't a thing to concern myself with, because I thought I'd might want to hold off until I get Flash to explore it. We do explore it next episode though. Regardless of this, I do still want to note something specific that I discovered regarding entering the Dark Cave: A new weather mechanic.

Introducing New Moon. According to the wiki, this weather effect does the following:
  • Increases the damage of Ghost and Dark-type moves by 35%.
  • Decreases the damage of Fairy-type moves by 25%.
  • Allows Lunar Cannon, Phantom Force, and Shadow Force to be used instantly.
  • Activates the following Abilities: Absolution, Forecast, Heliophobia, Shadow Dance, Supercell.
  • Changes Weather Ball to a Dark-type move and doubles its power.
  • Causes Synthesis and Morning Sun to recover ⅓ of max HP.
  • Causes Moonlight to recover ⅔ of max HP.
  • Reduces the power of the move Solar Beam by 70%.
  • Increases the power of the move Surf by 50%.
  • The effects of Hone Claws are increased from 1 to 2 stages.
  • Geomancy boosts are now halved under New Moon
  • Nightmare reduces HP by ½ instead of ¼ while New Moon is active
  • Bad Dreams reduces HP by ¼ instead of ⅛ while New Moon is active
  • Pressure reduces PP by 3 instead of 2 under New Moon
  • Flash now decreases accuracy by 2 stages instead of 1 under New Moon
  • Illuminate now increases Evasion by 1.25x under New Moon
  • Fairy type moves are not boosted by Fairy Aura while New Moon is active
  • Dark type moves are boosted by Dark Aura by 5/3x instead of 4/3x under New Moon
  • Reflect and Light Screen cause attacks to deal 4/10x and 8/15x original damage in Single and Double battles respectively while New Moon is active
  • The Dusk Ball's catch rate modifier is activated, regardless of location or time.

(Can't believe I loving copy/pasted all of that)

In short, New Moon can do a fuckton, and will be of massive use for me later on, as well as act as a hinderance at times as well.

The other thing of note on Route 1 is the Hiker outside of the Dark Cave. He'll trade you a Delta Dwebble for a Totodile, but we can't get the Totodile until the next route, so we'll table this for now and come back for it in the next part. Besides, just past here lies Midna Town, the second town of the game.

Midna Town is nothing special. It consists of a few houses, the Pokemon Trainer School and a mine next to the school. North of Midna Town also lies Narra Town, but we can't get to that place for a while yet, it requires an item that is rather late in the game. You can find the following here:
  • A Floatzel that gives you Leftovers (definitely get this!)
  • A Black Belt that gives you TM 128 Work Up (Raises Attack and Sp. Attack by 1 stage)
  • An Unown that gives you a Psychic Gem (And apparently according to FlamingRok anyways, in Pokemon Insurgence, one use items are refunded after use in battle)
  • An elderly woman will give you the choice of choosing a Fire, Thunder or Water Stone (You can buy these not too far into the game though)
  • Can also find a Great Ball, a Premiere Ball and a Super Potion

Our objective in Midna Town is to enroll in the Trainer School, where we then compete in a tournament. However, before we can start the tournament, we have to find a missing participant inside Midna Mine. We then clear out the trainers in Midna Mine, where I struggled a bit against some of the trainers because Fairy Wind messes up my team. While fighting these trainers though, Infnite evolves:

After clearing out the trainers in Midna Mine, we reach the end of the cave, where we find the missing tourney participant, Nora.

Nora, like us, is a chosen one. Just like as our partner is Mew, Nora partner is Celebi. She is seen training Celebi to use its Tesseract ability to revive the fossils of Armaldo, Bastiodon, Kabutops and Omastar, before having Celebi turn them back into fossils. She panics as she sees us however, as being a chosen one paints a target on your back, which we know already because of the Cult of Darkrai abducting us. However, Mew comes out of hiding to reassure Nora that we are also a chosen one. After reminding Nora of the tournament at the Trainer School, she takes her leave and we collect the fossils her Celebi was performing Tesseract on as our reward before departing the cave ourselves.

This mark the end of this part. Part 3 will likely mark the end of our first session.

(Edit: Part 4 actually will mark the end of the first session, I'm almost done editing Part 3 now, Part 4 will be a shorter part though, maybe half hour in length.)

Sprasshu fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 27, 2022

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

Part 3 out now. When we last left off, we found our 2nd rival of the game Nora inside of Midna Mine and discovered that like us, she is also a chosen one, with Celebi as her chosen guardian. Now that we've found Nora, we can begin the tournament back at the Trainer School, which is where we resume from.

I think you can predict where this is going. This tournament thing is rather pointless padding, but we need to do it for progression and we do get a prize for completing it. Because of the Discord overlay being in the way (nothing I can do about that I'm afraid, it'll be something I'll move in a later LP if I continue with this series), it's a bit hard to make out, but our first opponent is Ninja Boy Kyle. He only has a Lv. 15 Tyrogue and Riolu, which can do nothing to Infnite, so we sweep him easily.

Next up we have Damian to battle, where I get my second white out of the playthrough. He has a Lv. 15 Corphish and a Lv. 17 Delta Wartortle, which is Dark/Fighting type. The Corphish goes down easy, but the Wartortle...

Sweeps my entire party with Bite. With this loss, it's time to catch a new Pokemon that can deal with Wartortle's typing. Flying would be a good candidate, but the only options available to me are Zubat and godforbid Hoppip. Then Rok tells me of a hidden grotto on the other side of Dark Cave where I can obtain a Durant, a Steel/Bug type and all-around good Pokemon. Catch is, Hidden Grotto is only a one-time 25% chance. But a chance is still a chance nonetheless.

Pictured here is Midna Garden. There's nothing really of note here other than the Hidden Grotto next to Nurse Joy. Here we can find the following:

A 1 in 4 chance of getting a Durant, and as luck would have it, I happened to roll those odds, to the chagrin of Rok, who got a Heatmor instead. Because of this, to add insult to injury, I gave Durant a fitting name:

With those base stats, Heatcan't will carry me for a while until I can start Delta%! And speaking of stats:

Heatcan't

Nature: Bashful | Neutral (Can't complain about that)
Ability: Swarm | Boosts Bug-moves when low on HP (Rycar was disappointed it wasn't Hustle instead, but I like my accuracy, so Swarm is fine)
IVS:

The lack of Speed kinda sucks, but that Attack and Defense evens it out. So we got a decent Durant, now it's time to get it some levels. After grinding it up to Lv. 15, we attempt the tournament again, and this time, we defeat Damian with ease. So now we're onto the finals:

Nora, compared to Damian is kinda pathetic. She has a Lv. 16 Sewaddle (Why?), a Lv. 17 Quilava (Sadboy sweeps), and a Lv. 16 Trapinch (has Arena Trap, her only problematic Pokemon). The Trapinch messes up my Sadboy a bit, but besides that, she goes down relatively fast. With that, the tournament is over, we obtain TM 27 Return as our prize and Route 2 is now accessible to us. With nothing left for us here in Midna Town, we carry on with our adventure.

TM 27 Return: A normal move that does more damage the higher the user's happiness is. I never really use it, so it's whatever.

Now that I have access to Route 2, we finally have access to being able to catch a Totodile. The only other thing of note on this route here is a Fisherman who gives you the Old Rod, which isn't actually crap in this, you can catch more than just Magikarp with it, so that's nice. Anyways, time to catch that Totodile.

Catch Rate: 45 (about 12% if a Poke Ball is thrown at it from full health)

Surely that's enough Poke Balls to catch a dumb gently caress Totodile, right? Well...

An alternative name for this part was Catch 45, but I liked Durant Can What Heatcan't better. Anyways, this Totodile accosted me pretty badly, as I reset after failing to catch it, only to discover I never saved after the tournament, meaning I had to do it again. After a sped up montage of doing that again, we head back to Route 2 where I catch 2 new Pokemon. The first was a Bidoof I intended to use as an HM Slave, because I didn't at that point of the game that HM moves wouldn't be a thing to concern myself with. I didn't make a bio for this Pokemon because I never used it, so instead we'll move onto the second Pokemon I caught, Staryu:

I caught a Staryu at the request of Rycar because we chose to get a Water Stone off the old lady who gives you one of 3 evolution stones, and I went with Water. Anyways, now that we've caught a Staryu, let's look at it's stats:

Nature: Impish | + Defense / - Sp. Attack (Goddammit!)
Ability: Natural Cure | Status problems healed upon switching out (A lot better than having loving Illuminate, which raises the encounter rate)
IVS:

OK. The IV's make up for the lovely nature. I'd use the Water Stone on it now to evolve it into a Starmie, but we'll hold off on that until Staryu learns some better moves via level up. Let's finally get that Totodile now, eh? Well, it's not the easy actually. I'd like to show you all the alledged encounter rate for Route 2:

10% encounter rate is bullshit by the way. After accidently criting the first Totodile I encountered, it took me about 15 minutes to encounter another. Fortunately by the time I did encounter a third Totodile, I was able to catch it pretty quickly. But with how much the first one had accosted me, I took out my frustration with naming this Totodile. Time to return to the Hiker to trade for his Delta Pokemon:

I gave the Totodile that name thinking that you could change traded Pokemon's names in this, but Insurgence fixed that. Gateau's name is only temporary for now, I change it to something else once I learn that you can change traded Pokemon's names in Insurgence, but for now, we call it Gateau for the bio:

Awesome design, but that typing is a letdown admittedly. I think Normal is the worst type in all of Pokemon and I also feel like Normal isn't very compatible with Fairy, but alas. Let's look at his stats:

Nature: Naughty | + Attack / - Sp. Defense (Wow, an actual good nature, finally!)
Ability: Scrappy | Allows you to hit Ghost-types with Normal moves (That... seems busted. Own Tempo also would of been good though)
IVS:

Holy crap, almost a perfect Attack and Sp. Attack IV! Give this thing Shell Smash and it will do work. Finally, we got a good Pokemon!

Now that we finally have obtained Delta Dwebble off of the Hiker on Route 1, we can progress with the game.

At this point of the game, I have also dropped DREAM EATER and The Dugler from the team.

After clearing out the trainers in Route 2, our next destination is the Ancient Ruins for... honestly I don't really know why we go here. Some Abyssal cultists are harassing a Riolu for some reason, Nora shows up, we fight them and Heatcan't sweeps them, then a Lucario shows up and Mega evolves by itself and the cultists flee. I don't know what the gently caress this sequence was, it felt like padding and a chance to give a lousy exposition dump on the Abyssal Cultists, as well as to just give the Ancient Ruins a purpose. Least we get some good items here, including:
  • TM 104 Silver Wind | Inflicts damage and has a 10% chance in boosting all stats by one stage (and of course nothing I have can learn it)
  • Charcoal
  • Rare Candy
  • Spell Tag
  • Also can find a Repel, a Dusk Ball, 2 Ultra Balls and 3 Super Potions

We end off this session by entering Cyan Cavern, where next time, we will clear out Cyan Cavern and explore the first city of the game. The next part will also mark the end of our first playthrough session.

I also have a question for the thread at large. How should I go about editing together the exploration stuff? They'll be many instances in this playthrough where I'll just be talking to random NPC's to see if they have anything useful to say or to give me, or explore all the locations a new area has to offer, as well as times where I backtrack for things I couldn't get before or may have forgotten in a previous session. Would you rather I leave that all in like I have so far and just edit out the grinding segments or would you rather I cut all that is non-essential out and only show the important bits? Lemme know in the replies and I'll see you for Part 4 soon!

Sprasshu fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 28, 2022

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Normal type is actually pretty good. Yeah, it's never supereffective against anything, but it's only resisted by rock (which you'll have plenty of other counters for) and steel (along with half of the other types in the game). And Scrappy means you ignore the ghost-type immunity. And defensively, it only gives a weakness to fighting, which is canceled by fairy type, and gives an immunity to ghost. There are also quite a few really strong normal-type moves for that STAB, although I have no idea which this particular mutant cake-crab will get access to.

Basically, the fairy/normal typing has almost no drawbacks compared to pure fairy, and does get some advantages (immunity to ghost and STAB on moves like Return, Body Slam, Dizzy Punch, Slash, etc).

And yeah, don't sleep on Return. With a pokemon that has full friendship, it's a 102-power move, which means it's 153 when used by a normal-type—stronger than moves like Blast Burn when not used by the appropriate type. And everything can learn Return, at least in the real games. It's not good for a just-caught/traded pokemon, but if you keep something like this cakecrab all game, it'll be a monster move.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 28, 2022

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Lurker, Sims 3 LPer, Bored College Student

Zurai posted:

Normal type is actually pretty good. Yeah, it's never supereffective against anything, but it's only resisted by rock (which you'll have plenty of other counters for) and steel (along with half of the other types in the game). And Scrappy means you ignore the ghost-type immunity. And defensively, it only gives a weakness to fighting, which is canceled by fairy type, and gives an immunity to ghost. There are also quite a few really strong normal-type moves for that STAB, although I have no idea which this particular mutant cake-crab will get access to.

Basically, the fairy/normal typing has almost no drawbacks compared to pure fairy, and does get some advantages (immunity to ghost and STAB on moves like Return, Body Slam, Dizzy Punch, Slash, etc).

And yeah, don't sleep on Return. With a pokemon that has full friendship, it's a 102-power move, which means it's 153 when used by a normal-type—stronger than moves like Blast Burn when not used by the appropriate type. And everything can learn Return, at least in the real games. It's not good for a just-caught/traded pokemon, but if you keep something like this cakecrab all game, it'll be a monster move.

Yeah Normal is FAR from the worst type to be when Ice exists, it's also a type you never NEED per say, though being Monotype versus "That type plus Normal" adding normal is always a slight upgrade. And Ghost Normal is ridiculous.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Normal is fantastic what

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

Kinu Nishimura posted:

Normal is fantastic what

weso12 posted:

Yeah Normal is FAR from the worst type to be when Ice exists, it's also a type you never NEED per say, though being Monotype versus "That type plus Normal" adding normal is always a slight upgrade. And Ghost Normal is ridiculous.

Zurai posted:

Alright I get it, bad opinion. I just never use it really. The lack of it being able to be super effective against anything is a deterrant for me. I kinda just always saw it as a generic type with nothing special behind it besides being immune to Ghost, but also with the caviat of Ghost being immune to it as well, and having a weakness to Fighting. I guess paired with another typing though, the Normal type can grant me some defenses, and in the case of Gateau, I have a means to deal with the "can't hit Ghosts" part, though I don't recall if I ever really utilized it ever. It's just a type I sleep on is all.

I'll retract the statement and say it's a type I don't necessarily use often myself.

Sprasshu fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 28, 2022

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

It's definitely easy to think of normal types as generic, yeah. That isn't helped by all the early game normal just-an-animals in most generations. Give it a shot sometime though, there are a lot if really good normal type mons and moves.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

It took me a long time to realize that Normal-types still get STAB. I heard somewhere that they don't and I just never double-checked it. The inability to hit super-effective stuff also put me off, but now I'm over it and I'm probably gonna take best boy Snorlax to the Elite Four in Zeta.

Also, I'm noticing that you're playing a version of Insurgence where the title cards shift the further you get in the story. Whenever you boot up the game, it's supposed to show you the next legendary you're about to meet. Double Negative couldn't get that working for their LP, and I haven't gotten far enough in Insurgence to see if I can.

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

:siren:THE END OF THE FIRST OF MANY STREAMED PLAYTHROUGH SESSIONS!!:siren:

Part 4 is out now! And if I'm being honest, this was mostly a grinding / exploration part, but I cut most of the grinding out.

Sprasshu posted:

I also have a question for the thread at large. How should I go about editing together the exploration stuff? They'll be many instances in this playthrough where I'll just be talking to random NPC's to see if they have anything useful to say or to give me, or explore all the locations a new area has to offer, as well as times where I backtrack for things I couldn't get before or may have forgotten in a previous session. Would you rather I leave that all in like I have so far and just edit out the grinding segments or would you rather I cut all that is non-essential out and only show the important bits?

Since no one really answered this question before I put together, exported and uploaded this part, I just edited it the way I saw fit, cutting out most of the grinding and unnecessary exploration and only leaving in the parts where one of us said something related to the game (like for instance, maybe something that's coming up, like an item or a Pokemon or when a Pokemon is gonna learn a certain move, just to give some examples) or when something of interest actually happens, like us obtaining an item, finding a trade, a trainer battle taking place or one of our Pokemon learns a new move/evolves. The question still stands though for future parts. Anyways, enough pre-ramble, let's talk about our current progress!

:phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline:

When we last left off, we entered Cyan Caverns, where I try to get my Staryu named Lite-Brite some levels because gently caress me, this thing keeps dying in every goddamn fight I bring it in. The goal with Lite-Brite for this session was to get it to Lv. 18, because since Insurgence's mechanics are based off Gen 6's (X/Y/ORAS), Lite-Brite learns Bubblebeam at this level, which is a decent enough Water move to validate using my Water Stone to evolve my Staryu into an actual good Pokemon, Starmie.

You want to know how much this thing sucks? Here's Lite-Brite fighting a Shuckle:

Rycar blames the nature. It's + Defense and has 29 IVS in Special Defense! Also, I'd like to note that if it weren't for that crit, it would have lost (though I guess I could of just recovered, since that was a fight where I actually got a chance to, but imaging having to use Recover to beat a Shuckle)

As you can see in that fight though, that was also the battle where Lite-Brite did hit Lv. 18 and just as predicted, learned Bubblebeam. Time to finally evolve our dead weight:

I'm kinda noting events out of order here, since the primary focus of this video was evolving Lite-Brite, but before that, I actually went back to the Ancient Ruins to catch a different Pokemon:

The reason for catching this Sandshrew is to replace our Sadboy, because getting a Thick Club to make it significantly better wasn't worth the time. It's a 5% chance to get one off a Cubone. Theoritically we could use a move like Thief to steal a Thick Bone off a wild Cubone, and typically in Pokemon games (at least from what I recall anyways), Thief is generally an early game TM. But in the case of Insurgence:

That's post-game by the way. Holon is a seperate region from Torren that is only accessible in the post-game. Thanks Insurgence!

The moment I heard Thief was out of play was the moment The Sadboy became dead to me. His replacement Ow Hog however will not be on the team for long either, as a new Delta Pokemon that's Ground type will be coming up soon.

Regardless, Ow Hog is still a member of the team right now, so let's go over his stats:

Nature: Careful | + Sp. Defense / - Sp. Attack (Sandshrew is a Physical attacker, so that nature is alright)
Ability: Sand Veil | Boosts evasion in sandstorms (Useless, but that's the only ability Sandshrew gets outside of its Hidden ability)
IVS:

A decent Sandshrew overall.

Anyways, after grinding up some levels and clearing out the trainers of Cyan Cavern, we come out the other side of the cavern to find ourselves in Suntouched City, the first city of the game. Suntouched is interesting. It's divided into 2 parts. The first part is a ground level where you find the Poke Mall (bigger Pokemon Center that exists in all cities) and various houses. We'll start out here, since the first thing I did upon reaching Suntouched City was heal up at the Pokemon Center.

The Pokemon Center's in the cities are all malls. A neat feature, but all the malls are the same. There's 2 floors, the first floor is just the Pokemon Center part, and then the second floor is where the Mart is, as well as a clothing store and a hair salon. I'll showcase what all you can buy here now, because you don't unlock any new options, what's there at the beginning of the game is there for the entire game.

At the clothing store, you can buy various hats, shirts, pants, backpacks and hair dyes:

(Sorry for the size of it, but it would look like poo poo if it were scaled down any more. Also why does Hair Dye cost more?)

It's a nice detail, but I wish there was more to it. It would of been nice if different clothing items were unlocked as you progressed in the game or if different Malls had different inventory. The lack of variety in the clothing options also is a bummer, but I can't complain, better to have this as a feature than to not! And it's a helluva lot better than the hair style options are:

Should of gone with the girl sprite to be honest, had I known the boy's option for an alternate hair style was having no hair at all. Makes him look like a blob man, seriously he has no neck. I didn't have much money though, so at the request of Rycar, I went with the bald option, along with the Poop Hat. At least having all my hair shaved off is free? Though how we get it back is a mystery. Are we like a loving Chia pet or something?!

Anyways, this is also the part of the game where I tested if I could rename traded Pokemon with the Name Rater or not, and here's where I updated Gateau's name:

Now that we're done with the Poke Mall, it's time to check out the rest of the city. Now as I mentioned earlier, there's 2 parts to the city, we went over the ground part, which isn't very special, now for the other part. The second part of the city is a cloud section you can access by stepping on a fan south-east of the city. Up here is the fun poo poo, such as the location of the first Pokemon Gym, as well as the Broadcast Tower, which will come into play at various times throughout the playthrough.

Other things of note in Suntouched City include:
  • A girl nearby the giant statue of the Second Augur that will give you 2 Heart Scales if you show her a Jigglypuff
  • A woman in a house north-west of the city who will give you a Shiny Stone if you show her a Togepi
  • A man south-west will give you a Moon Stone
  • Another man in a house south of the statue will give you 3 Friend Balls
  • A youngster in the Cloud part of the city will give you a Lava Cookie
  • A Skitty will give you a Normal Gem
  • You can also get a Super Potion as well near the statue

There's more items to be had here, but you can't get them yet, so I'll go over those once I'm able to!

Final thing of note is a side-quest you can do for a Delta Pokemon:

Just above where the man who gives you a Moon Stone is lies another man looking for someone to catch a Pokemon that keeps destroying his flower patch at night. To get the Pokemon to appear however, you need honey to draw them out into the open.

You can do this side-quest upon finishing the Gym, but I don't do this sidequest for a while because I forgot about it!

You get a Lv. 20 Delta Aipom out of it that's Ghost/Normal type for the record. I'll go more in detail once I actually get it in the playthrough though.

There's also a woman in a house in the cloud part of the city who will trade you a Natu for a Butterfree, a trade which interests me because if you couldn't tell from my Discord avatar, Xatu is one of my favourite Pokemon. Other than that, that's all there is in Suntouched City.

Before I end off this post, I do want to go over 2 more things that I failed to go over back in Midna Town.

(Daytime exists in this game, what the? Yeah I only can really record at night, so you're only gonna be seeing the cities at night I'm afraid)

The first is the Poke Taxi service. In every town (except Telnor), there is a Clown with a Taxi who basically acts as the Fly replacement of the game (except you can only access him in towns and cities, so Fly still has a use in that regard). It only costs 500 to utilize his service, but if you use his service I believe 15 times, he gives you a VIP Pass, letting you use the taxi for free. Later on, he has a quest for you to upgrade the Taxi, but as of writing this, I've just gotten to that part myself, so I'll go over that when we get to it in the LP. It won't be for a while!

The other thing I want to go over is an Easter Egg. Remember Pokemon Platinum (and maybe Diamond and Pearl, can't remember), where if you check a TV inside the Old Chateau, you get a Rotom to appear? Yeah well there's a chance of that happening for EVERY TV IN THE GAME!! I don't know what the odds of it happening are though, I never really utilized it, but I figured it would be worth mentioning. Can't get any of the appliances for Rotom for a while though (City of the 5th Gym).

Anyways that's it for this part and this first playthrough session. Here is our party by the end of the session:

(Just pretend for the video that I totally put Lite-Brite down as being Water-Psychic and not just Water)

Next part, we make some adjustments to ourself and our team, defeat the first Gym of the game and check out the Broadcast Tower. If you thought this first session was going by kinda slow, just stay with me for a bit longer, because after Suntouched City, the game starts hauling rear end with its pacing. Trust me.

I'll begin work on editing together the second playthrough session soon.

Sprasshu fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 30, 2022

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Enjoying following along with this! I appreciate the text updates as I don't often have a lot of time to watch a stream or VOD. Pokemon fangames are so much fun to watch others suffer through play! Excited to see all the weird Deltas and what kind of strategies you need for the gyms and stuff.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Oh boy, I wonder what insane loving weirdos THIS Pokemon romhack LP will attract from the dark forest of the internet? Hopefully none, but you DO need any, uh, "crowd control" for the thread Sprasshu, the mods and IK are always happy to help :toughguy:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

apophenium posted:

Enjoying following along with this! I appreciate the text updates as I don't often have a lot of time to watch a stream or VOD. Pokemon fangames are so much fun to watch others suffer through play! Excited to see all the weird Deltas and what kind of strategies you need for the gyms and stuff.

Honestly, I like the gyms, and in fact the first gym leader is one I particularly like from a gameplay design standpoint, as it offers a very solid example of what the differences between the three difficulties provides, and I'm honestly considering doing a small effortpost detailing exactly that once we're past said gym in the LP.

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

:siren: BEGINNING OF PLAYTHROUGH SESSION #2:siren:

Part 5 is out now! But before I get to the breakdown of it, to migitate the amount of times I post in my own thread, I'm gonna reserve the introduction of my updates with replying to people's comments in the thread, starting with Solitair:

Solitair posted:

It took me a long time to realize that Normal-types still get STAB. I heard somewhere that they don't and I just never double-checked it. The inability to hit super-effective stuff also put me off, but now I'm over it and I'm probably gonna take best boy Snorlax to the Elite Four in Zeta.

Also, I'm noticing that you're playing a version of Insurgence where the title cards shift the further you get in the story. Whenever you boot up the game, it's supposed to show you the next legendary you're about to meet. Double Negative couldn't get that working for their LP, and I haven't gotten far enough in Insurgence to see if I can.

Not to spoil much here, but I will be making great use of a certain Snorlax later on in this playthrough. Just you wait! Also regarding the title cards, I don't know what to tell you, I kinda glossed over that being a thing, I thought it was random what animation would play.

apophenium posted:

I do the text updates for that very reason, that not everybody can dedicate the time to watch hour long videos. Consider it as being a video LP with a half-assed screenshot LP varient behind it, because I already recorded most of the playthrough and also lack the heart to do a full-assed screenshot LP. Hope you enjoy the playthrough!

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh boy, I wonder what insane loving weirdos THIS Pokemon romhack LP will attract from the dark forest of the internet? Hopefully none, but you DO need any, uh, "crowd control" for the thread Sprasshu, the mods and IK are always happy to help :toughguy:

Agreed, hopefully none, but I'll let you know if any problems arise. I appreciate the support!

BlazetheInferno posted:

Honestly, I like the gyms, and in fact the first gym leader is one I particularly like from a gameplay design standpoint, as it offers a very solid example of what the differences between the three difficulties provides, and I'm honestly considering doing a small effortpost detailing exactly that once we're past said gym in the LP.

Right so this was the main comment I was looking to reply to. While I was doing my playthrough on the Normal Difficulty, FlamingRok was also playing alongside me on Hard Difficulty and Rycar was attempting to solo with the starter Eevee on Normal. Rycar isn't a goon but Rok is, so I was gonna see if he'd be interested in doing the breakdown for the Hard Mode fights, while I cover the Normal ones. But if you have anything to add to the thread to make it more informative, by all means share.

Alright, that's it for the comments. Now for the actual breakdown:

:phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline:

We last left off our adventure in Suntouched City. The goal of this part was to defeat the Gym Leader of Suntouched City and to check out the Broadcast Tower. Before that though, off-stream I went and caught myself a Caterpie way the hell back in Shade Forest (outside of Telnor Town), so that I could evolve it into a Butterfree. While doing this, I also decided to finally check out the features of the Dexnav. I've been ignoring it up until this point. Here are the features, we'll go from Left to Right:

First up is the Pokescan. I never really utilize this but you can use it to locate a specify Pokemon in the wild if it's in the area you are in. It also increases the shiny chance significantly (1/4096 to 1/768). I'll spoil this now, I don't really catch anymore wild Pokemon past this point of the game, so this function is useless to me.

Second is the map. Self-explanatory, it lets you see the map of the whole area.

Third is the Trade function. I utilized this a bit off-screen mostly to help Rycar out, I don't use it myself though. Basically does what it says you can connect to someone else online and trade Pokemon with them or you can Wonder Trade.

Last is the Memory Chamber. This is where you can make the early game less lovely for yourself if you start with Delta Charmander. Basically it allows you to fight Trainers with Lv. 50 Pokemon from a preset list. Most of them will mess you up because they have teams built for competitive play, while others can grant you easy EXP and Cash. However, at the very bottom of the list is a familiar name:

Who is Youngster Joey?

And just like in Gen 2, Youngster Joey starts with a Rattata, only it's Lv. 50 and also a Shiny.

Despite its high level however, this Rattata is still trash. It knows only Normal moves, meaning that Infnite is immune to everything it can do. So if you can kill it before you run out of PP and Struggle to death, you get a nice chunk of EXP and a bit of cash as well. Which let me buy our new appearance:

We are now wearing the Lord's Outfit, which I wear for the entirety of the game because it's the only outfit that looks semi-interesting. Also, I gotta say that the spritework for the Trainer card is just awful. Seriously, it looks like our legs are broken.

Anyways, it's time to talk progress. I started off the session with showcasing the Butterfree I'll be trading for a Natu.

Now from here on out, I'm gonna do an update on how I post stats. Since the initial first session, I did a bit of research and consulting with Rok and Rycar, so from here is where I start resetting constantly in order to get good IVS and Natures on most of the Pokemon I obtain in this playthrough. Also I liked the name enough that the trainer gave this Natu that I kept it. Now here we go!

It took quite alot of attempts to get a half-decent Oracle. Let's go over them now:

Oracle #1

Nature: Adamant | + Attack / - Sp. Attack (Already dead in the water with a - Sp. Attack nature)
Ability: Synchronize | Passes burns, paralysis or poison inflicted onto you to the opponent as well (The better of the two abilities Natu has)
IVS:

Not even good Sp. Attack IVS to make up for the bad nature. Reset.

RESET COUNTER: 4

Oracle #2

Nature: Serious | Neutral (Better but now it depends on the IVS if I keep it)
Ability: Early Bird | Awakens from sleep quicker (Good but Synchronize is better)
IVS:

We can do better. Reset.

RESET COUNTER: 5

Oracle #3

Nature: Sassy | + Sp. Defense / - Speed (Reset)

RESET COUNTER: 6

Oracle #4

Nature: Jolly | + Speed / - Sp. Attack (The game is loving trolling me now! Reset!)

RESET COUNTER: 7

Oracle #5

Nature: Mild | + Sp. Attack / - Defense (Finally on the 5th loving try!)
Ability: Early Bird (drat, would of preferred Synchronize)
IVS:

Speed IV could be better, but whatever, I'll take it! Now the only thing that's wrong with Oracle now is its starting moveset:

Fortunately, it learns Omnious Wind only a few levels in, but having Night Shade as its only viable attacking move (since we have no way of boosting Stored Power) kinda blows.

Next up, we explore the Broadcast Tower, where the Director hires us to lure out various rare Pokemon spotted in the wild. The first Pokemon we are contracted to encounter was an Axew and while I tried to catch it, I crit it by mistake. Since it wasn't a Delta though, I just moved on. After a few step, the Director called us again for the thing I actually wanted to catch through this event:

Named after the Mudman enemy in Castlevania Aria Of Sorrow:

Anyways, let's look at her stats:

Nature: Lax | + Defense / - Sp. Defense (Decent nature)
Ability: Sap Sipper | Boosts Attack when hit with Grass moves (If said Grass move doesn't kill Mudman, then that is insanely good)
IVS:

If the Special Attack IV was swapped with the Attack IV, then this would be pretty drat good. But it's good enough. Shame the moveset isn't:

Why the gently caress does Mudman have Swallow and Spit Up, but not Stockpile?! At least Bulldoze is coming soon, but not before we take on the Gym.

GYM LEADER #1: Orion
TYPING: Fire/Grass
STRATEGY: Sunny Day Boost
GYM LAYOUT: Basic, just a gauntlet of Trainers with Orion at the top of the mountain

TEAM:

(I'm only covering the teams on Normal Difficulty, I'll leave Hard mode for FlamingRok)

Honestly, Orion is kind of a chump. His strategy is incredibly basic, using Vulpix as his starter for the Drought ability to put up Sunny Day without it costing him anything and then reaping the benefits of his Pokemon's abilities afterwards. Problem is, nothing on his team is holding a Heat Rock to extend the period his Sunny Day lasts, meaning that if you can grind down the turns until it goes away or if you change the weather effect once the Vulpix is down, his strategy is voided unless he burns a turn putting back up Sunny Day with Charmeleon so that Charmeleon's Solar Power ability can be activated, allowing it to deal 1.5x more Special Attack damage, but at the cost of 1/8th of its health each turn.

For me, starting with Lite-Brite was a big benefit because while Drought killed the power of my Bubblebeam, it also let Lite-Brite stall out the Vulpix since Vulpix was powerless to do anything to Lite-Brite and thus stalling out Sunny Day.

His Deerling gave me some guff, but that's because I'm an idiot and tried fighting it with Crab Cake and trying to kill it with Powder Snow forgetting that Crab Cake is a physical attacker.

Next was Charmeleon. Lite-Brite is faster, so Bubblebeam two-shot it, leaving behind a Sun-boosted Ivysaur to try to solo my entire team.

Unfortunately for Ivysaur, Heatcan't exists, and tanks 2 Solar Beams before felling Ivysaur with 2 consecutive Fury Cutters, thus ending the battle.

Orion then rewards us with our first badge: The Thermal Badge

Finally, 5 parts in the LP and at the start of the second playthrough session, we have our first Gym Badge. Orion also gives us TM 43 as well:

TM 43: Flame Charge: Inflicts damage and boost Speed by one level (I teach it to Infnite, but only temporarily because it's a physical move, and therefore rather useless)

Next up is a massive plot dump. I want to point out why I named this part the way I named it.

Here's the screenshot I used to make the thumbnail for this part from. Next to Orion is a mysterious white rock. Before you start the battle, he says the following:

Alright so being a Gym Leader has made him incredibly lonely and insane. That much is clear.

Well let's fast forward past the battle. Upon leaving the Gym, someone else runs into the Gym and we run into Nora, who also noticed that person running into the Gym, and went ahead to investigate. I guess we should follow suit then.

Anyways, the person who ran into the Gym was Harmony, the Gym Leader of Sonata City, the 4th Gym in the game (meaning we aren't getting there for awhile). Because we face off against her later, I'll save making her portrait for then. She warns Orion that cultists are looking for him and Orion requests she help him carry his boulder (because he's insane, we established that already). And like me, Harmony is also harsh to Orion about it, telling Orion that the rock is just a rock and to just ditch it already, and that he isn't mentally fit to be a Gym Leader because of it (Alright maybe that was a little too below the belt). But it's too late anyways, as the cultists come flying in on a Kyruem (how did they fly that loving thing into the Gym?!).

We are then introduced to Taen, a high-ranking member of the Perfection cult:

Taen makes his reason for being there very clear: He wants Orion's rock. (ENOUGH! ABOUT! THE drat! ROCK!) He knows something about it that we don't, and after Orion refuses to give up who he considers his only friend, Taen slaps him, which causes this course of events to unfold:

I hate it when fangames tie in actual game plot with theirs personally, because I feel like it cheapens the overall writing and wrecks the immersion. But yes, techincally Orion is also a chosen one, whose been chosen by Reshiram, whose been sealed in the rock that somehow fell into Orion's hands (don't know if it's ever explained how that happened though). Anyways, the rest of the cutscene is whatever. Reshiram breaks its seal, Taen drops some hot Gen 5 lore, Reshiram flees, Taen chases after it, Reshiram somehow loses them and returns to Orion. Orion is happy to know he's not insane (he probably still is though) and Nora gives us an Instant Lapras, which I'll explain in a bit.

Now while this game bases most of it's mechanics off of Gen 6, Gen 7 also came out a year before its official release (though from what I can tell, the first playable build of this game was released in 2015), so the Instant Lapras is a clear inspiration from that generation. Instead of needing the HM for Surf, Nora gives us a portable Surf, making HM moves even more obsolete (though Surf is still a really good move). So Insurgence is also going the Alola route in some places too, with the regional pokemon and the Portable HM Pokemon being clear influences.

Since I now have the ability to Surf, it's time to go over what all we can get in the previous areas now that we have a means to get across water. There isn't much to be had to be fair, since we are barely into the game right now, so this will be brief:

In Telnor Cave, there is 2 items to be had:
  • A Sun Stone across the water that's hidden in a rock near the end of the cave going into Route 1
  • TM 08 Bulk Up (I'll go over the TM's found via surfing later) nearby the ladder on the first floor (the floor where we entered the cave)

Also we can find now:
  • TM 55 Brine across a pond in Midna Town
  • A Heart Scale past the fisherman who gives you an Old Rod on Route 2

TM 08 Bulk Up: Boosts Attack and Defense by one stage (Meh. I don't have much of a use for it)
TM 55 Brine: Inflicts damage and does double damage when the foe is below half health (Better Bubblebeam, so I taught it to Lite-Brite to replace Bubblebeam)

We can now finally move onto the next area of the game. And I can almost end off this bloody part summary as well, hooray! Now that we can Surf, we can get through Suntouched Exitway and start exploring Route 3. Also there is a TM in here that requires a move that can push boulders, so here we go into explaining the list of move that can replace Strength:

Oracle has Ominous Wind, so the TM is ours, much to Rok's chagrin, who lacked a move to push the boulders! In fact, I make a ton of use out of Oracle's Ominous Wind ability later on in the playthrough, because not many moves can push boulders and alot of the ones that can suck. Unfortunately, my reward for moving the boulder isn't very good:

TM 124 Struggle Bug: Inflicts damage and lowers the target's Special Attack by a stage (Kinda sucks, especially since Heatcan't is a physical attacker, but also Struggle Bug is only 50 power)

Next up is Route 3, where it starts becoming clear that I am underleveled, because the trainers kick my rear end here. Including a trainer with a Huntail that makes me yell "Godammit!" very loudly in the video, but for everyone's sake, I put up a volume warning for that. Basically though, I'm having to run back to Suntouched after each battle (which I cut out), because my team is just dying left and right. No white outs or resets though.

Also since we are on a new route, here are the items you can find on Route 3:

• A Rare Candy southeast of the lone house on this route behind a tree
  • Some Honey at the end of an obscured path behind some trees southeast of the house (requires Surf, but also this is the item you need to get the Delta Aipom in Suntouched)
  • TM 118 Quash hidden in a small stump south of the house (I... don't recall finding this myself, but Quash sucks)
  • Also can find a Repel, a Great Ball, an Awakening and a Poke Ball

The only other thing left of note for this part is a trade for a Delta Scyther. A hiker in a house at the end of the route wants a Steel-type in exchange for a Delta Scyther. I could give up Heatcan't for it, but Heatcan't is saving my rear end, so we went back to the Cyan Cavern to catch a Magnemite that I forgot to name because I couldn't be assed. And here is where I made a massive fuckup: I didn't save before doing the trade for the Delta Scyther.

The Delta Scyther I ended up getting:

Nature: Modest | - Attack / + Sp. Attack (Worst nature I could have gotten!)
Ability: Hustle | Boosts Attack, lowers Accuracy (The negative outweights the positive, but also Delta Scyther has a unique ability called Ice Cleats in Insurgence, which doubles its Speed in Hail. It would of been nice to showcase that, but oh well. Guess this thing just gets a kick out of being a disappointment)
IVS:

Borderline loving unusable! I do get a bit of use out of Cleaver eventually (it sucked so bad, I didn't change the traded name for a bit) because of something it has in its moveset:

I'll let you figure out which move gets use. I actually bumped off Oracle originally so that I could add Cleaver to the team because this was the point of the game where I decided I wanted to go for Delta%, but after seeing those stats, I hold off on Delta% for just a little longer, buying Oracle some more time on the team. Admittedly, the typing makes Cleaver kind of a glass cannon, so I don't know how much mileage I would of gotten out of it had it been good anyways.

We end off this part entering the next town of the game, Metchi Town. Next time, we explore Metchi Town and discover how it is the best town in the game!

Sprasshu fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 1, 2022

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

The ultimate power is clearly roses.
So I'll jump on now and correct a few things:

First off, Sap Sipper in fact renders you immune to grass moves, so there's no threat in needing to survive the move. It makes Delta Muk even better than it appears at first! Same applies with Water Absorb. Again I've used it plenty before so I'm not using it for my playthrough but it's excellent for first time playthroughs.

Also going off of the plot of the story, Orion is not a chosen one since the "chosen ones" are ones with the pixie/mythical legendaries, so essentially the mythicals with all 100s in their base stats. Reshiram is certainly not one of those.

For those who have already read DoubleNegative's excellent LP someone has already covered the basic differences, but I am the one playing through it so I'll give my two cents (also no items in battle for myself and am also masochistic/stupid, I'm preparing my mind set for a very very important part of the game).

Now onto Hard Mode, the part I'm actually supposed to cover! The big point most people notice is that there's now a level cap for every gym leader. Don't worry, this is no Reborn where Pokemon will start disobeying you when you go above, but you will start gaining 1EXP upon reaching the cap. It's somewhat extreme, but this does allow you to still gain EVs (a point that most certainly won't matter what do you mean). The bigger concerns however are additional Pokemon (usually a Delta Pokemon) during major fights and that after a certain point, they all have competitive EVs/Natures. I've looked around and I'm not exactly certain the exact values, but I can certainly guess on certain Pokemon. We haven't reached that point, which honestly is scarier, since I have no idea what stats things are rocking at this point. Also "most major trainers have maxed out IVs" basically just means expect things to be bulkier and hit harder even if it's not their speciality. I have no clue which major trainers have maxed out IVs but if I were to guess, Orion isn't one of them (I hope Persephone doesn't as well it'd just fit). There's two other major alterations but we haven't reached a point where those matter yet.

So for Orion...

Certainly a bit more threatening of a team! In this battle, our cap is level 25 which makes sense; the dude's running all level 25s (I mention this because the level cap gets wonky later on). The big thing holding Orion back however is the selection we have access to at this point in the game. While Durant falls over to any Fire move (though does demolish the grasses), Heatmor in this instance is for once better with its similarly impressive stats and durability, and its movepool isn't...awful to strike back. It's not great, but that's what we have members in reserve for, which for me were Hitmonlee, Azumarill, and Delta Ivysaur. Hitmonlee hits extremely hard for this point in the game especially against the unevolved Pokemon we're seeing, Azumarill's Huge Power is similarly busted (once the sun vanishes, which Heatmor can stall out or just let other Pokemon deal with both sun setters), and Delta Ivysaur is a good check to Ivysaur. It's not a perfect 1v1 but if we lose it there's a number of Pokemon we have access to that can finish the job, mainly Haunter in my case. Haunter is also great because of Hypnosis. It's inaccurate but sleep gives a huge advantage that it's probably worth gambling on if you're at a disadvantage.

One last thing to mention: Splash showcased Youngster Joey through the Memory Chamber (that's what the wiki calls it anyways) and its completely Normal moveset. This means if you really wanted to, you could EV train a Ghost type to 252 Speed EVs immediately! It'd only take...252 battles and however long it'd take you to somehow beat up the rat! ...don't do this please you don't need the EVs that early.

FlamingRok fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 1, 2022

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Solar Power & Life Orb? Jeez, that Charmeleon's gonna die to recoil instantly

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Solar Power & Life Orb? Jeez, that Charmeleon's gonna die to recoil instantly

Just teach it Belly Drum and we'll be all set.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Right, so, here's why I appreciate the difficulty settings of Insurgence. The first Gym leader. Take a look at his team on normal. Setting aside the fact that the levels are unusually high for a First Gym Leader, this is obviously a step up in difficulty from Official games. There's a definable theme to his team, both in types and in setup. He's got the Drought to setup the sun, and everything on his team has some way of taking advantage of it. The grass types both have Solarbeam and Chlorophyll, and Charmeleon, his ace, is packing Solar Power, meaning he's gonna HURT. And then said Charmeleon is also carrying Sunny Day to make sure he can still benefit. There's a level range to the team, so there's a small level gap between his opener and his ace, and one of his pokemon has a Held Item, that Black Sludge on the Ivysaur.

All in all, like I said, a step up from normal Pokemon games in terms of complexity and how well the team is assembled.

Let's take a look at Easy Mode, now.

A step down. I wouldn't quite call it all the way down to official game levels of enemy setup, but we're definitely several steps down. All the hidden abilities are gone, which means Vulpix loses Drought for its automatic Sunny Day; it must use it manually. Both instances of Solarbeam are gone, as is Ivysaur's held item. The movesets are just weaker in general. The team can still conceptually be called a Sun team, but most of the tools and identifiers of such have been stripped away; it's more concept than practice now. Most of the interesting tricks and tools used by Normal Mode have been stripped out, leaving you with a passably competent, but overall fairly simple fire/grass trainer. Even the levels are reduced leaving the team at a universal level of 23, instead of gradually rising from 23 to 25.

But then we take a look at the Hard Mode posted by FlamingRok...

Let us count the observable ways this fight has gotten a lot more intense since Normal Mode:

1) Every pokemon has a held item
2) Doubling Down on the Sun gimmick, adding Synthesis to the grass 'mon that lacked it previously, adding a Heat Rock to the opening drought user, and more
3) More Powerful moves across the board, including Flamethrower, Energy Ball, Sludge Bomb, and more.
4) Doubling Down on Charmeleon's Kamikaze style by adding a Life Orb on top of the existing Solar Power
5) The existence of a fifth team member. And it's a nasty one too, a fire/steel Delta Aron packing an Air Balloon to protect it from that ground weakness. It's got a second Drought, too, to add to point #2 up above.

Even without looking into IVs and EVs of AI trainers, there is a very strong separation between Easy, Normal, and Hard in this hack, and this fight does a very nice job of exemplifying that. Easy Mode takes away most of the special tricks that makes the fight interesting and challenging on Normal Mode, while Hard Mode Doubles, Triples, and Quadruples down.

EDIT: Sidenote, the reason it has Swallow/Spit up without Stockpile is because it learns Stockpile before those, and the typical "wild pokemon forget the earliest move they know to learn new ones" formula means he forgot Stockpile, but isn't high enough level to learn enough moves to overwrite the other two.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 1, 2022

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Taen is one of a few characters with a dumb nonsense name that gets on my nerves a little. That said, he does good heel work, and I can kind of respect that.

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

Part 6 is out now, and admittedly I've been dreading editing this part because it is mainly gonna be focusing in on one aspect of the game: Secret Bases! Before I get into that though, I'd like to give thanks to FlamingRok and Blazetheinferno for your contributions to the thread, as well as for Rok correcting me on my mistakes. I'm certain I'll be making quite a few more as we go on from here. Also:

Solitair posted:

Taen is one of a few characters with a dumb nonsense name that gets on my nerves a little. That said, he does good heel work, and I can kind of respect that.

While all the cultists are inherently antagonistic, Taen so far in my playthrough has struck me as being the closest to being a main antagonist. But he's a good antagonist for the record, and so far, I'm finding the writing in this to be rather decent and coherent for a fangame. Admittedly I go into these types of projects expecting a shitshow, but Insurgence has been impressing me so far. We'll see if it stays that way as I continue my playthrough though, as of writing this, I am 7 badges in, the initial difficulty has risen significantly and the consistency of our playthrough sessions have dwindled considerably since I started working on the LP (mostly because of Rycar being unavailable for it, but also because I've been obsessed with Archipelago as of late).

Alright time to talk update:
:phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline:

We last left off our adventure in Metchi Town, which I had spoiled in the previous update is the best town in the game. We'll get into why in a bit, but first, let's go over the town itself. For being a town, Metchi is considerably spread all over the place:

Right so this is Metchi Town. As of current, we can only explore the left side of it, if we cross the bridge, we have to battle Nora, as indicated on the map. But we also want to battle Nora as well because not only is she blocking us from finishing the game, but she also preventing us from getting to that good poo poo over there and we want that. So I'll quickly break down what we can in Metchi Town now:
  • You can buy an egg in the house northeast of the Pokemon Center for 3000. We'll go over what Pokemon is in it later
  • TM 57 Charge Beam can be obtained by a lady inside the house above the Pokemon Center (everything else here requires defeating Nora)
  • Focus Band (of course it's the lovely of the 2 Focus items) given by a Black Belt walking around on the northeast side of town
  • A Miracle Seed can be obtained by a woman with a Misdreavus in the northeast side of town
  • A Destiny Knot can be obtained by a woman in the southern-most house
  • Technically not Metchi Town, but TM 63 Embargo can be found by surfing north of Metchi Town, can also get a Super Potion here

TM 57 Charge Beam | Inflicts damage with a 70% chance of raising Sp. Attack by a stage (Weak and inaccurate)
TM 63 Embargo | Prevents foe from using held items and preventing the trainer from using items on it (Not useful to us)

Now to break down the Nora fight. Again if Rok and Blaze want to add in their comments for this part, more than welcome, I'll just be covering the Normal team.

I haven't gone over this yet (glossed over it with the tournament), but Nora has 5 slots for this fight, and her 5th slot will vary based on which starter Pokemon you begin with:
  • If you started with Delta Charmander (which I did), then she will have a Quilava
  • If you started with Delta Bulbasaur (which Rok did), then she will have a Bayleef
  • If you started with Delta Squirtle (which blows rear end), then she will have a Croconaw
  • If you started with the Eevee (which Rycar did), then she will have a... Golbat?

For me, her team looks like this:

She starts with Honedge, I start with Crab Cake. Fortunately for me, Honedge has no attacking Steel moves, and because Crab Cake is part normal, Shadow Sneak also is ineffective, so Honedge can't do much to me here. We wittle each other down slowly, with Crab Cake using Dazzing Gleam and Honedge using Autotomize and Retaliate. Because of the bulk of Crab Cake, Crab Cake wins the exchange.

Next is Quilava (where I accidently fail to switch out Pokemon). Lite-Brite two-shots with Brine.

Third is Swadloon. It lowers my Speed before being swept by Heatcan't. She then sends out her Celebi, which is also swept because Celebi's typing is so poo poo that it's quad-weak to Bug. Celebi puts up a Safeguard, we sweep it with a Bug Bite and go from Lv. 28 to Lv. 30

Last is Floette, which is also easily swept by Heatcan't because Durant is a really good loving Pokemon to have early game. Destroyed by one Metal Claw.

With Nora defeated, the good poo poo is accessible to us, but before I delve into that, there's still a few more things left to go over. First is the fact that Metchi Town is also where the Day-Care is located. The building with the Eggs on top of it at the very bottom left of the town is the Day-Care. I have no use for the Day-Care personally, so I put that lovely Delta Scyther in there for now (but it doesn't stay in there for long because later it will become rather important)

The other thing of note is a Hidden Grotto I missed on the previous route, by the entrance of Metchi Town:

Here we can obtain the following Pokemon:

Didn't really care for the encounters here though, so I just rolled a random Dusk Stone, grabbed it and left.

Alright I've been putting it off, but now is the time we go over the Good poo poo:

This motherfucker. Right here. He will say the following:

He'll then offer to sell you one for 5000. Now initially, you'd think the same thing I initially thought, which is this is just some snake oil salesman trying to sell me a scam to buy a worthless Secret Base. But I'd like you to note lines 6 and 7 again:

There is some merit to the second half of this statement because once you buy a Secret Base from him, he'll also throw in a Tablet that'll let you purchase stuff for your Secret Base, however you have to be in your Secret Base to use it. You can access the Secret Base by either entering the clearing next to the Secret Base manager in Metchi Town, or by interacting with the back of any bookshelf of any Pokemon Center/Mall (Why that works I don't know).

You can buy some plushes and movement items for your bases, but what's notable is the various quality of life functions you can buy for your base as well. This is where the Move Tutor and the place where you can revive fossil Pokemon come in place, but there are other functions as well. Here is the complete list:

The Level Trainer we will be making a ton of use out of throughout the entire playthrough, and the EV Resetter and the IV Changer also get alot of use later (EV Trainer kinda sucks, and I'll get into why in a much later part of the LP). I never buy any of these for my base itself, but I make use out of them with other bases I discover randomly. Time to get into the Friend Safari and online functionality portion of this mechanic.

At the back of each base is a Friend Safari. Each player gets a random typing for their Safari, and each Safari has a pool of 3 Pokemon they can catch for their Safari, however only one can be obtained at this time, as the other are locked until you obtain more badges (I think the second slot unlocks at 6 Badges, it's kind of absurd). My type for example is:

And the Pokemon I can obtain from my Safari is:

It evolves into Malamar starting at level 30 when leveled up while the game system is held upside-down.

So do I have to hold my PC upside-down to evolve it? Regardless, I don't use it, which is why I didn't bother naming it, I caught it mostly because it was unique to my Safari, but also just to trade to Rok momentarily so he can get a Gengar.

Now for the fun part, the online functionality. At the very back of your Friend Safari is a cavern, which acts as your means to connect online. Here you have to first register an account, which is easy, you just punch in a username and a password, and fortunately the game saves your password to your file, so you don't have to remember it every time you want online. The online functionality of Insurgence is great, but also showcases some of the faults with the engine the game is made in.

First off, RPG Maker is notorious for dropping keystroke inputs (which was evident with how I mispelt Infnite name at the beginning), so it takes me numerous attempts to login in because it doesn't register fast typing too well. Second, the thing is bloody buggered to all hell. You can connect to other peoples bases, and because Rok decided to make his username for his base a pain in the rear end to spell, I failed to type in the correct username and so the game got confused:

Right, lemme take a shot here before I find the courage to break this down:
  • This gif is sped up by 300%, this segment in the video was actually about 2 minutes in length
  • Rok's username is FraminguRokku, which I spelt FraminguRokuu
  • Game makes me login again (which is kind of crap, but ok, this is fine so far)
  • I try to log back in and misspell my username
  • Try to log in again, it logs in and here is where the game starts screwing up
  • Go to upload my base to the internet, it says Login successful
  • I try to visit FlamingRok (his other base?), it says Base successfully uploaded
  • Try to visit FlamingRok again, base doesn't exist (either never uploaded it on that account or I got confused, both are equally as likely)
  • Try to log back, enter the correct username, username doesn't exist
  • Try to log back in, logs back in
  • Punch in the correct username of FraminguRokku, says user logs in
  • Punch in FraminguRokku again, finally connects to the base

We'll refrain from punching in friend rooms for the time being then. As you saw from the gif there, we got a selection of options. First off, let's set our welcome message. I set it to something that's not only expresses my full opinion on most people but also as something that's on brand:

...except I misspelt it because Pokemon Essentials ate my c input. So anytime you visit my base, you'll find a banner that greets you with "Drink Bleah". What fun!

Since we just made the base and since this fangame is 5 years old now, I don't foresee any gifts coming my way ever, so we'll just jump into the Random Base mechanic. This lets us randomly explore bases uploaded by different users. Most of the remainder of this update will consist of the bases we visit, and what all there is to find in them, since I do find a couple here that I re-visit numerous times in the playthrough. We visit a grand total 27 bases in this part (we visited more in this session, but I eventually started cutting them out)

First up, FraminguRokku:

BASE #1
OWNER: FraminguRokku (FlamingRok)
BASE DESIGN: Forest

FEATURES: None (SInce he just made it)
FRIEND SAFARI TYPE: Fire
FRIEND SAFARI POKEMON: Pansear (Heh, Inkay's better!)
OVERALL: My initial base is better, but Rok may have bought stuff with the Tablet to make his better now, so it may be worth revisiting later, but even if Rok's base was worth visiting, the name of it is a massive detterant as it's long and hard to punch in correctly or without the engine missing an input

(Haven't gone over this yet because I couldn't find a place for it, but when you buy your secret base, the secret base manager give you a list of base design options. I personally went with the Cyan Cavern design myself, but unfortunately you don't get a preview of the base before buying it. You can talk to him again to change the design of your base if you want)

MY BASE DESIGN (CYAN CAVERN):

Now to jump into the randos:

BASE #2:
OWNER: SkyDen05
BASE DESIGN: Frost Castle

FEATURES: None
FRIEND SAFARI TYPE: Flying
FRIEND SAFARI POKEMON: Didn't check
OVERALL: Useless, but the Pokemon could of been potentially good had I checked it

While I was exploring this base though, my Marill egg hatched. Marill isn't worth a drat if it doesn't have Huge Power as its ability, so I ask it a question:

The answer?

Off to the Garbage Box it goes! Right, now for the next base:

BASE #3:
OWNER: jakedd
BASE DESIGN: Mossy Ruins

FEATURES: PikaTaxi, Level Trainer, Nurse Joy and Flag Guy
FRIEND SAFARI TYPE: Bug
FRIEND SAFARI POKEMON: Paras
OVERALL: While it doesn't feature much, it has some essentials to it. The Level Trainer coupled with the Nurse Joy is great for convenience and knowing where a Flag Guy is if you don't want to spend the money to get one in your base in the early game is good also. The short name of the player also means it's fast to input and enter as well. A good starting base to find and a base I make some use out of, but is quickly outclassed.

We have our first introduction to the Level Trainer and Flag Guy here. For a very cheap fee, the Level Trainer will let you battle 3 Audino at the level you pay for. As you collect more badges, the level of Audino you can choose to battle also goes up. The Audino also only have one move as well: Healing Wish, meaning you only actually have to defeat one of the 3 Audino. This is incredibly busted and make level grinding alot more trivial. It is perhaps my favourite feature in the game so far.

And of course, I make use of it here right now because the trainers on the previous route kicked my rear end.

First I trained Crab Cake:
  • Fought 2 sets of Audino, one at Lv. 10 (as a test) and one at Lv. 20
  • Jumped up from Lv. 29 --> Lv. 34
  • Learned Aurora Beam at Lv. 31
  • Evolved into Delta Crustle

Next was Oracle's turn:
  • Jumped up from Lv. 23 --> Lv. 30 after 1 set of Lv. 20 Audinos
  • Tried to learn Wish at Lv. 28, but didn't teach it Wish
  • Evolved into Xatu

Now it was Lite-Brite's turn to get some levels, where Lite-Brite jumped up from Lv. 27 --> Lv. 30

Last up was Mudman. Since Heatcan't and Infnite were already Lv. 30, I didn't do any level training with them yet:
  • Jumped up from Lv. 28 --> Lv. 31
  • Learned Mud Bomb at Lv. 29

BASE #4:
OWNER: Kuroka
BASE DESIGN: Mini Volcano

FRIEND SAFARI TYPE: Dragon
FRIEND SAFARI POKEMON: Tyrunt
OVERALL: A Dragon type Friend Safari makes this an interesting spot, but Tyrunt becomes easy to obtain later on. Other than that, empty base, moving on.

BASE #5:
OWNER: KingSax
BASE DESIGN: Evil Base

This one's with them Darkai boys. Actually, quite alot of them like this base for some reason.
FRIEND SAFARI POKEMON: Ledyba
OVERALL: loving Ledyba. Next!

BASE #6:
OWNER: AAwsome
FEATURES: Nurse Joy, Flag Guy and PikaTaxi
FRIEND SAFARI TYPE: Poison
FRIEND SAFARI POKEMON: Trubbish
OVERALL: Least it isn't empty, but like it's Safari Pokemon, it's still kinda trash.

Guess I'll take this chance however to go over the Flag Guy. In the back of each person's Friend Safari, there is a flag you can nick for yourself. Give this man a set number of flags to get items. You can recieve the following from him:

I recommend at the very least getting the Heart Scales off of him, though in the near future they will become much easier to acquire anyways.

BASE #7:
OWNER: snipe
FEATURES: Mart, Level Trainer, EV Trainer, Pokegear Designer and Flag Guy
FRIEND SAFARI TYPE: Ghost
FRIEND SAFARI POKEMON: Drifloon
OVERALL: OK, here's a really old base because it has a Pokegear Designer in it. The Pokegear Designer used to add a Jukebox function and the Memory Chamber to your Pokegear (now called the Dexnav), but since version 1.2 was released, the Memory Chamber came built in to the Dexnav and the Jukebox was scrapped, rendering this function useless. This means that snipe's base has existed since before August 2017, the date of which was when TheSuzerian made a Reddit post to r/PokemonInsurgence about version 1.2, which was the finalized version of the game being finished (and also the only real instance I can find regarding a date this update was released). You can no longer purchase the Pokegear Designer for your base anymore.

As for the base itself, it almost tops jakedd, but the lack of a Nurse Joy kills it for me. Also I'm not a big fan of the EV Trainer function. You need to buy it yourself for your own base and pay to upgrade it yourself to get Pokemon with Good EV gains from it, and to upgrade it, like pretty much everything else, it's badge locked. Doesn't matter if someone has a maxed out EV Trainer in thier base, if you pay to get Attack EV's, you get 3 Machops and that's it. Ghost type Safari is cool though.

BASE #8:
OWNER: matimi
FEATURES: Move Deleter, Move Relearner, Nurse Joy, Mart, Level Trainer, EV Resetter and EV Trainer
FRIEND SAFARI TYPE: Grass
FRIEND SAFARI POKEMON: Sunkern
OVERALL: This. This is the base I make the most use out of in my playthrough. matimi's base is near loving perfect, the only thing it is missing is an IV Changer, if it had that, I would never need to visit another base ever again. Eventually though, we will be finding a base that I use purely for IV maxing. Regardless, I visit this base so many times in my playthrough that I included a counter for it in the video for each time I visit it. The name is also extremely simple to punch in too, making it faster and easier to visit. So expect to see alot more of matimi's base in the future.

We also have our first instance of a Move Relearner here as well, but since I don't have many Heart Scales yet, I'll hold off on showcasing it for now.

BASE #9:
OWNER: sans910
BASE DESIGN: Volcano

FRIEND SAFARI TYPE: Normal
FRIEND SAFARI POKEMON: Dunsparce
OVERALL: You'll notice a theme here with how many bases are just empty husks. Eventually once I've showcased all the different base designs there are, I'll start speeding up how I showcase these by grouping a bunch of dead bases together.

BASE #10:
OWNER: bradytyo
FRIEND SAFARI TYPE: Fighting
FRIEND SAFARI POKEMON: Sawk
OVERALL: You get the idea!

BASE #11:
OWNER: nonce
BASE DESIGN: Mini Volcano
FEATURES: Nurse Joy, Level Trainer, PikaTaxi, Flag Guy and EV Trainer
FRIEND SAFARI TYPE: Fairy
FRIEND SAFARI POKEMON: Spritzee
OVERALL: Decent but outclassed. Best thing about this base is the welcome message:

BASE #12 and 13:
OWNER: juliette and kiritos
BASE DESIGN: Cyan Cavern and Evil Base
FRIEND SAFARI TYPE: Dark and Fairy
FRIEND SAFARI POKEMON: Poochyena and Jigglypuff
OVERALL: Our first grouping. Only thing of note here is juliette's base is pretty much the exact same as mine, except they have a shittier Pokemon in their Safari. Malamar > Mightyena

BASE #14:
OWNER: mapsy
FEATURES: Nurse Joy, Fossil Maniac and Pokegear Designer
FRIEND SAFARI POKEMON: ...

Are you ready for this?

Of all the loving shinies I could of gotten!

OVERALL: I hate this base by default because I caught a Shiny Ledyba in it, but at least finally at 14 bases in, we've seen the Fossil Maniac. I use the Fossil Maniac to revive the fossils I got back in Midna Mine. No bio's for them though because they never are even featured in the party, and also this part is long enough as is.

BASE #15:
OWNER: lollo
FRIEND SAFARI TYPE: Rock
FRIEND SAFARI POKEMON: Sudowoodo
OVERALL: Dead. Next!

BASE #16:
OWNER: Zagreuss
BASE DESIGN: Mini Forest

FEATURES: Mart and Nurse Joy
FRIEND SAFARI TYPE: Ice
FRIEND SAFARI POKEMON: Cubchoo
OVERALL: Not empty, but still nothing of note either. Ice type Safari sucks too!

BASE #17 - 19:
OWNER: Sweezy2Easy, omwani and EG
BASE DESIGN: Evil Base, Mini Forest and Forest
FRIEND SAFARI TYPE: Fire, Grass and Fairy
FRIEND SAFARI POKEMON: Slugma, Snover and Clefairy
OVERALL: 3 dead bases in a row

BASE #20:
OWNER: Chuzzer
BASE DESIGN: Mini Frost

FEATURES: Move Relearner, Fossil Maniac, EV Trainer, IV Changer, Level Trainer, Pokegear Designer
FRIEND SAFARI POKEMON: Sawk
OVERALL: WHY IS THERE NO NURSE JOY?! This place would be excellent if it had a Nurse Joy, but without one to restore my Pokemon's PP after battling the Level Trainer's Audinos make it a hard sell. Also, I did note this one being a good base in my notes during my base splunking, but I never visited it again after this. Poor Chuzzer, so close yet so far.

At least we are finally seeing the IV Changer. In exchange for an IV Stone, he'll max out a Pokemon IV stat of your choice. IV Stones... well they eventually become kind of accessible, but you have to put in alot luck and alot of time into getting them. I'll get into what I mean about that when the time comes though, but for now the IV Changer is of no use to us and this base isn't where I go to make use of it. That one will be coming up near the end here.

BASE #21:
OWNER: shoaibmuna
FEATURES: EV Trainer, Nurse Joy, EV Resetter, Move Relearner and Flag Guy
FRIEND SAFARI TYPE: Ground
FRIEND SAFARI POKEMON: Stunfisk
OVERALL: Despite the complex name, shoaibmuna's base is decent, it's just missing the Level Trainer and an IV Changer. Also the Safari pokemon here is pretty good as well, since Flag Guy gives you a Stunfiskite at 50 flags, which is something worth noting if you want that for some reason.

BASE #22:
OWNER: Drwarrior137
BASE DESIGN: Frost Castle (man, people sure do like this base type alot as well)
FRIEND SAFARI TYPE: Poison
FRIEND SAFARI POKEMON: Gulpin
OVERALL: Empty and we were on such a roll as well

BASE #23:
OWNER: Belier13
FEATURES: Move Relearner, EV Trainer, Day Care Agent, Level Trainer, Pokegear Designer, Nurse Joy and IV Changer
FRIEND SAFARI TYPE: Either Grass or Ice, didn't check
FRIEND SAFARI POKEMON: Snover
OVERALL: I'm not sure why I wrote this one off as not being very useful because it has a good combination of features. Perhaps this was the point of my spelunking that I just became idle. Belier13's base is actually pretty good. I think the addition of the Day Care Agent distracted me, since I have no interest in breeding for this playthrough. This actually may even top matimi in terms of features because it has perfect combination of Level Trainer, Nurse Joy, Move Relearner and IV Changer. Oh well, guess for those who want to play along, if you need a base that has most of the essentials you'd need, Belier13's base is pretty solid.

BASE #24:
OWNER: Gangster
BASE DESIGN: Volcano
FRIEND SAFARI TYPE: Psychic
FRIEND SAFARI POKEMON: Mr. Mime
OVERALL: Has my least favourite Pokemon as their Safari Pokemon

BASE #25:
OWNER: GongMore
FEATURES: PikaTaxi, EV Resetter, Level Trainer, Flag Guy, IV Changer, EV Trainer and Nurse Joy
FRIEND SAFARI TYPE: Ice
FRIEND SAFARI POKEMON: Cubchoo
OVERALL: Another good base I neglected, but it is missing a Move Relearner.

BASE #26:
OWNER: Askeladd
BASE DESIGN: Mini Forest
FEATURES: 3 PikaTaxis (why), Day Care Agent, IV Changer, EV Resetter, EV Trainer, Level Trainer, 2 Nurse Joys (again why multiple), Move Relearner, Move Deleter, Name Rater and Flag Guy
FRIEND SAFARI TYPE: Steel
FRIEND SAFARI POKEMON: Bronzor
OVERALL: Right, so this is the other base I use in addition of using matimi's. I use matimi's more often simply because the name is easier to type, but any time I want to use the IV Changer, I come to Askeladd's base. I will also be including a counter for each time I visit this base as well.

BASE #27:
OWNER: RycarFlareshine
FEATURES: EV Trainer, EV Resetter, Mart, IV Changer, Nurse Joy, Move Relearner and PikaTaxi (also a Level Trainer, but it wasn't there when I visited it)
FRIEND SAFARI POKEMON: Tyrouge
OVERALL: Rycar's base is good, it has all that you'd really consistently want with a base, but for some reason his Level Trainer wasn't visible on mine or Rok's end. Another base of note, but I still use matimi and Askeladd primarily for the entire playthrough.

Well that's it, the end of my base splunking adventures. Only other thing worth mentioning is there was still a base design we never saw. The Mini Evil Base:

I think you can see why it isn't a very popular choice of base though.

Anyways, that's it for this extremely long part update. No future part should ever end up going this long hopefully, but I've been slowly writing up this update over the course of about 5 days.

In the next part, we will be making some progress by getting a new Delta Pokemon or two and defeating the second Gym.

Sprasshu fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 11, 2022

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
To be perfectly honest, I haven't really looked at most fights up in other difficulties, and I only really know one major difference that continues between Normal and Easy mode, but that change doesn't actually take effect yet. I'll mention the thing when it becomes relevant, though.

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

So I made my name "obnoxious" for two reasons: mimic Sprasshu's naming scheme and because I've played this game before therefore FlamingRok was taken and also therefore I've long since forgotten the password to that old account and as far as I'm aware there's no password recovery. But anyways!

So let's get the elephant out of the room: Durant would've torn the poo poo out of this team. I didn't get Durant and sure I probably could've refreshed the grotto to try and get one I couldn't be arsed and therefore got to have a very fun time. Honedge can be pretty difficult to break through but let's not leave out the real concern; Leftovers Celebi. If you can't OHKO (which without a good bug move you probably won't considering the options), it has a very real chance of using AncientPower and getting the omni-boost and at that point combined with Leftovers, your run is done. In Hard Mode this is also the first full team you run into. Eviolite Golbat is deceptively bulky as well and although it can't really hit too well, it's also decently fast for this point in the game and fast Confuse Ray is always worth something (it's a top 5 in Gen 1 7U (what would be modern day a theoretical tier below ZU for the smogon crowd, with the top tier being Meowth) for a reason). The other three aren't too bad, but Bayleef's damage output is potentially threatening. Good thing Grass as an offensive type isn't very good and that the AI...seems to be a bit stupid at points? I think I tried to call the AI out on cheating at some point but I think I just got unlucky instead. I took a lot of (admittedly unnecessary) time against this Nora fight mainly because of that Celebi.

If you're curious, Sprasshu would've had to deal with the Golbat and a much better Quilava (Extrasensory, Flamethrower, Quick Attack, Wild Charge), the poor sap who chose Delta Squirtle would have to deal with a Croconaw who can set up (Hone Claws, Waterfall, Shadow Claw, Ice Punch), and Rycar would've had to deal with a fun addition in Trapinch (Superpower, Dig, Rock Slide, Crunch)!

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

Part 7 is out now! No new messages to reply to here, so we'll just jump right into the update:
:phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline:

We last left off exploring Metchi Town, battling Nora and then for the rest of the part exploring most of what the Secret Base can offer and exploring random Secret Bases. With all of Metchi Town now explored and our time in the Secret Bases spent, we continue onwards with our adventures, surfing south of Metchi Town to the next route below.

The next route below is mostly a surf route, so it doesn't have much of interest, however there are 2 new Delta Pokemon we can get here. I get one of them this session because the other is a Hidden Grotto pokemon I didn't know about until the next playthrough session (so Part 9). So I'll only get into the one I get this part:

Inside the highlighted house is a Delta Ralts just standing there. I don't know why it is there, but it is just there. I guess somehow it managed to purchase real estate.

An interesting typing that is not common to encounter, but as I later discover, this typing makes Delta Gallade/Gardevoir glass cannons.

Let's get into the stats:

Nature: Hardy | Neutral (Can't complain)
Ability: Lightning Rod | Draws in Electric moves to boost Sp. Attack by a stage (Clear Body would of been preferred)
IVS:

Unlike with the Delta Scyther that I dumped into the Day Care in the last part, I did remember to save before I caught it, so we do have another chance to get a good Ralts. So I reset:

RESET COUNTER: 8

My second attempt at catching the Ralts however hit an unforseen snag:

10% freeze chance? Nah. (For the record, Lite-Brite was frozen for 10 turns before I reset)

RESET COUNTER: 9

(I was still angry about the previous Ralts freezing me. Regardless, we don't keep this one either)

RESET COUNTER: 10

Alright enough screwing around with me Ralts!

Nature: Bashful | Neutral (Alright fine, I guess Neutral Ralts is all that exists)
Ability: Lightning Rod (And I guess Clear Body also is not an option I have, cool!)
IVS: (Right, the part that matters)

Alright, good enough. Given that the Attack stat is bollocks, I guess Loser Nerd is becoming a Delta Gardevoir. Though I panicked momentarily thinking that Gardevoir was gender-locked to being a Female only evolution like its counterpart Gallade is gender-locked as a Male only evolution, but that is not the case. At least it saves me from using a Dawn Stone (not that it matters because soon we'll have access to purchase any evolution stones we want in the game)!

With the addition of Delta Ralts, our team is slowly starting to become a Delta-only team, and so with Loser Nerd added to the party, we say goodbye to Oracle.

Now onto the next event in this part, where upon leaving the short-lived Route 4, we find ourselves in Vipik City, where the second gym of the game awaits! But first, an overview of Vipik City:

I'll get into the Delta Pokemon in a bit and we'll go over the plot-locked area in the next part. First up though, what you can find in Vipik City:
  • TM 97 Frost Breath is located behind a tree near the house furthest to the west (Was this hidden? Or was I blind?)
  • A Cleanse Tag is given out by a Miner around the bottom left of the city
  • A Volbeat is holding a Bug Gem
  • Good Rob is obtained by a boy in the house east of the PokeMall once you have a Pokedex with 25 caught Pokemon in it (I can't recall if I got this or not actually)
  • TM 122 Spikes is hidden behind a tree below the PokeMall (OK, this one I did not get)
  • Can also obtain a Heavy Ball, Great Ball and a Super Potion
TM 97 Frost Breath | Inflicts damage and always crits (Would of been a good move to give Delta Ralts had I found, but also it would of been soon replaced anyways)
TM 122 Spikes | Creates an entry hazard that can be stacked up to 3 times and causes damage to Pokemon on the opposing side switching into the battlefield. (I may want to go back for this in my playthrough, because I have a Pokemon that can make use of this)

Don't expect me to be perfect on the item checks in this playthrough, I'm gonna be prone to missing things as I'm just playing it off the cuff, I'm not using a walkthrough while playing, I only use the walkthrough for Hidden Grotto checks and after recording sessions to see if there is anything I may of missed in a previous session (primarily Deltas), or if I want Rok or Rycar to look something up for me.

Other things of note in Vipik City include:
  • A scientist in the western most house in the city has developed a chemical that accelarates the process of hatching Eggs. For each step you want removed, he'll charge you 1 PokeDollar. I may use of this everytime I get an Egg, so this is an important NPC to remember if ever you get an Egg.
  • There's a man in the house below the PokeMall who will sell you an egg for 2500. I'll get into what the egg contains in a moment.
  • There's also another man in the house west of the PokeMall willing to trade his Sneasel for a Floette if you care about that.

After paying the egg man 2000 to douse our Egg in chemicals (this can't be healthy) and walking another 500 steps, our Egg hatches:

I named the Togepi GimmeGimme because I remembered that there was a woman back in Suntouched that gives me an item if I show her a Togepi. The item she gives you is a Shiny Stone so you can evolve Togetic into a Togekiss, something which is of use for Rok, but because I'm gradually starting to turn this playthrough into Delta% only, it's useless to me, so into the box Togepi goes!

Alright, now let's get into the Delta Pokemon that you can find here. If you scroll back up to the map I posted, I highlighted a decrepid tree that is in the middle of the city. If you leave a food item in here, it may cause a Wild Delta Pokemon to appear between Midnight - 5:59 AM (Any timezone, also one of the few times where only being able to play at night had an advantage). Only the following food items will work on luring out this wild Delta:
  • Casteliacone
  • Honey
  • Lava Cookie
  • Old Gateau
  • Rage Candy Bar
  • Rare Candy
  • Sweet Heart
  • Whipped Dream
Any other item and the Pokemon will reject your treat and therefore not show up. You'll then be unable to reclaim the food item you put there for another 24 hours. At the request of Rycar, I put a Rare Candy in there myself, but I still had to wait another 30 minutes for the Delta Pokemon to show up. So while we're waiting on that, let's go visit our old friend matimi again!

Disclaimer: I'm kinda putting things out of order from what I did in the video to how I'm describing them in the update, and this will likely apply for most, if not all updates. Upon entering Vipik, I actually focused on leveling up Delta Ralts and evolving it into Delta Kirlia and Gardevoir first before I explored Vipik City and interacted with the tree. But I don't think it's very relevant whether or not I detail the chronological order of the events as they happened. I'm just going down the list of priorities, and I figured what the new city has to offer is more important to feature first in the update than my level up sessions. Not to mention that when I started this playthrough, it wasn't til about 60% I began working this into an LP format. So there wasn't a ton of focus on being thorough with myself at the time and probably still isn't even now. But regardless, rant over.

MATIMI COUNTER: 2

Yeah this number is just gonna keep growing, and eventually so will the number for the times we visit Askeladd's base as well!

Alright so Delta Ralts is currently piss weak and extremely underleveled so it's time to change that. After our first session against the Lv. 20 Audinos:
  • Jumped up from Lv. 15 -> Lv. 24
  • Learned Nuzzle at Lv. 17, taught it over Growl
  • Learned Shock Wave at Lv. 21, taught it over Thunder Shock (it's better Thunder Shock)
  • Tried to learn Ice Shard at Lv. 23, didn't teach it because my Delta Ralts is Special Attack oriented
  • Evolved into Delta Kirlia

Kirlia still kinda blows, huh

After 2 more Lv. 20 Audio sessions:
  • Jumped up from Lv. 24 -> Lv. 30
  • Tried to learn Ice Shard again at Lv. 25 (Is there something you want to tell me Insurgence?!)
  • Evolved into Delta Gardevoir

For reference, here's Delta Gallade's design, since we went with Gardevoir instead:

After getting Loser Nerd to evolve into Delta Gardevoir, to kill more time, I also jumped into a few more random bases and it was here I decided to check out the Move Relearner. I didn't have Lite-Brite in the party at the time and Infnite doesn't learn anything new from him, so we'll jump into what Loser Nerd can learn:

LOSER NERD
  • Electric Terrain
  • Moonblast
  • Thunder
  • Thunderbolt
  • Ice Beam
  • Growl
  • Blizzard
  • Thunder Shock
  • Nuzzle
  • Ice Shard

Holy poo poo! That relearn pool is insane! I don't hesitate to use what few Heart Scales I have on teaching Loser Nerd Ice Beam and Thunderbolt either and overwrite Powder Snow and Shock Wave. Hopefully I can make use of this Delta Gardevoir now for awhile!

That ends our leveling up session for the moment, but we still got time to kill before midnight, so let's check out the Gym. On our way there, we run into Damian, who like an idiot blabs off about Mew and Celebi and an Abyssal Cultist overhears this. We'll be getting more into this plot point in the next part though as it doesn't become relevant until after we defeat the second gym. I checked out the second gym in this part, but got wrecked pretty badly by the first trainer I encountered, who swept Loser Nerd and Mudman, which means it's time we level up our party some more.

MATIMI COUNTER: 3

My goal with this level up session was to get my party all up to Lv. 35:

LOSER NERD
  • Jumped up from Lv. 30 -> Lv. 35
  • Learned Calm Mind at Lv. 33, taught it over Nuzzle

HEATCAN'T
  • Jumped up from Lv. 33 -> Lv 35

MUDMAN
  • Jumped up from Lv. 31 -> Lv. 35
  • Learned Magnitude at Lv. 32, taught it over Mud Bomb

CRAB CAKE
  • Gained 1 level

INFNITE
  • Jumped up from Lv. 33 -> Lv. 35
  • Fed it a Rare Candy to make it Lv. 36
  • Evolved into Delta Charizard

• Learned Dragon Dance after evolving, taught it over Flame Charge
  • Accidently fed it another (and also my last) Rare Candy because I'm an idiot, making it Lv. 37 now

Alright, midnight has finally struck. Let's check out this new Delta Pokem...

Oh no. Right where to start with you. First off, this thing visually is loving repulsive. Fangame Pokemon designs generally fall into 4 catagories. There's the really good and well-thought out designs, (Infnite and Crab Cake), the lazy designs that are mostly just the original Pokemon, but recolored (Delta Scyther) or/and has a bunch of random poo poo glued to it (Delta Ralts evolution line), the kinda generic looking designs where it looks like effort was put into it, but it still kinda just fails to stand out or impress (I'd argue Mudman falls into this catagory) and then there's what I would classify as the Mr. Mime tier of Pokemon designs, where it's a tragedy this thing was even loving concieved in the first place, which is the catagory where God Awful and a couple other Pokemon in this game we'll be getting later would fall under.

Delta Wooper still is somewhat a tolerable design (even if i don't get what exactly it is supposed to be), and I'd hoped that maybe it's evolution could maybe salvage it but... well you saw the thumbnail for this part already:

If Pokemon had a Jesus (Arceus?), it would weep.

Putting aside that I'm trashing the deisgn (What even is this loving thing supposed to be anyways?! A lit pumpkin lanturn axolotl?!), there's more to why this Pokemon blows. In fact, everything about this Pokemon sucks. Its typing doesn't work with Quagsire's stats because physical fire and grass kinda sucks, its abilities (Pickup and Flash Fire) are terrible, it's Hidden Ability (Harvest) is awful. Heat Crash is its best physical fire move, the move pool for it is really bad, and its starting moveset is:

I think this thing exists for one simple reason: As a sad joke. I don't outright abolish it from being on my team though because I got intel from Rycar that I can make use of Will-O-Wisp on one of the gym leader's Pokemon. But if it isn't obvious, this thing doesn't stay on the team long. I've put it off long enough though, so let's look at it's stats:

Technically God Awful was my third attempt at a Delta Wooper, the first one I crit to death and I just don't care enough about this Pokemon to feature the other one.

Nature: Naughty | + Attack / - Sp. Defense (Least it got a suitable nature)
Ability: Flash Fire | Boosts the power of Fire moves if hit by a Fire move (Better than Pickup, but it's still not great, Flash Fire is just an ability that is rarely advantagious)
IVS:

Because Delta% has now begun, I've also bumped off Lite-Brite from this point on in the playthrough.

Anyways, that ends off this part. Next time, we'll be ending off the second playthrough session by taking out the Gym Leader of Vipik City and advancing the plot some more. Bit of an abrupt end, but that's how they be sometimes.

Sprasshu fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 21, 2022

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender
Out of all the Pokemon Fangames I've played for more than 10 hours (like Insurgence, Reborn, Rejuvenation, Godra, etc), Insurgence is IMO the one that best kept the feeling of being a Pokemon game. Always happy to see someone discover it.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Oof that weird Wooper line is absolutely horrible.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
You are a braver man than I for daring to actually make use of that abomination.

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

:siren: THE END OF THE SECOND PLAYTHROUGH SESSION!! :siren:

Part 8 is out now. It's a much shorter part than the others, but alot gets done in it. This is a part entirely focused on progressing through the story. I also didn't cut very much out with this part either. Before I get into the breakdown though, I got some comments to reply to here:

Iceblocks posted:

Out of all the Pokemon Fangames I've played for more than 10 hours (like Insurgence, Reborn, Rejuvenation, Godra, etc), Insurgence is IMO the one that best kept the feeling of being a Pokemon game. Always happy to see someone discover it.

I've been really enjoying Insurgence overall. Rok thinks it still holds up, but Rycar became indifferent about it after playing through it again alongside my playthrough. It's a good fangame that has some great QoL features that are absent from mainline Pokemon games, like making Secret Bases really useful, still having online functionality operational and allowing you to rename traded Pokemon, but it's still rough around the edges in places.

It has some bugs to it, some mechanics kinda just don't work well (we'll get into that MUCH later), the writing falls flat at times, the animations are lazy, stiff and lackluster (but that's most Pokemon Essential games), the difficulty kinda spikes out of nowhere as opposed to scaling up over time and it's definitely dated, but I went in expecting nothing and found myself having a good time with it so far at 7 badges in.

I can see why that even after 5 years of its full release that people still consider it the best fangame to date. This definitely sets the bar high for the other fangames that I plan to play through to try to surpass. Hope you enjoy the playthrough!

apophenium posted:

Oof that weird Wooper line is absolutely horrible.

BlazetheInferno posted:

You are a braver man than I for daring to actually make use of that abomination.

Good. I'm glad that there are people that agree with me regarding this Delta Quagsire deserving to be drowned, then immolated. I will say that I do make quite good use out of it with this upcoming Gym so it isn't a total waste, but beyond that, I bump it pretty fast!

Last we left off, we explored most of Vipik City. However we still got one thing left on our agenda: Defeating Xavier, the Gym leader of Vipik City.

GYM LEADER #2: Xavier
TYPING: Bug/Poison
STRATEGY: Preventing switching out, afflicting poison and burn and stacking stat boosts
GYM LAYOUT: Maze-like (But I solved it in 10 seconds)

(Don't know how accurate the second image is, it's from 2015)

Anyways, Xavier's Gym works as follows: You enter a tree, find yourself in a dark maze, each exit to enter, you come out another tree, if you go the right way, by the second tree you exit, you be where Xavier is. I lucked out and happened to solve this puzzle in seconds. Apparently there are 5 trainers in here, I only battled one before I reached Xavier. If this second image is still accurate, I can see this being an annoying Gym to navigate had I not just immediately stumbled upon the solution.

Now let's talk Xavier for a moment. Pokemon Insurgence tries to tie in the Gym Leaders to the plot of the game, but Xavier seems to be the exception to that. He has no real relevance to the story at all, and I think that's because it ties into his character of being a stereotypical stoner. Xavier backstory is he's a laid back free spirit (relatable) that used to be a former Pokemon Ranger before becoming the Gym Leader of Vipik City. He is generally disliked by the populace of Vipik however because they blame him for their City becoming a polluted trash dump. He also isn't a resident of Vipik City himself, instead he lives in Helios City, the capital of the Torren Region and location of the 3rd Gym. We later see him in his house in Helios, which is surrounded by smoke (one of the many references to the fact he smokes marijuana). He is also seen later in the game in the Pokemon Center of Selene City, making him somewhat of a recurring character.

Anyways, it time to break down his team and our battle against him:

Xavier starts with Shuckle, something I didn't expect so I switch out Crab Cake for God Awful and Shuckle throws down a Sticky Web, locking God Awful onto the battlefield.

Then the following happens:

Next up is Beedrill, which he Mega Evolves immediately. Also even more proof that Xavier is a stoner:

Sadly there was no sprite for said Mega Bong. Anyways, Rycar said that Beedrill would just sweep God Awful, but not only did God Awful live a hit, but also was able to land Will-O-Wisp, which crippled Xavier's Mega Beedrill, before it fainted from the Curse inflicted by Shuckle. We then use Loser Nerd's Ice Beam to finish it off.

Next up is Heracross, which Crab Cake steps on. We use Dazzling Gleam, the dumb idiot Heracross tries to Counter.

Next he sends out Croagunk, I switch to Mudman, use Bulldoze once to make Xavier waste his Super Potion, then Bulldoze again. Down goes Croagunk!

His 5th Pokemon was Tentacruel. Loser Nerd, Thunderbolt, done! However Tentacruel was successful in taking out Loser Nerd with Toxic after it had fainted.

Last up is Haunter, which uses Will-O-Wisp on my Infnite, but because Shadow Ball is special and Haunter's defense is rear end, it gets one-shot. Defeated Xavier without breaking a sweat!

Upon defeating Xavier, he gives us the Stinger Badge and TM 76 Venoshock.

TM 76 Venoshock: Inflicts damage, doubles in power if target Pokemon is poisoned (Not many things can learn it, so pass)

With Xavier defeated, we now have 2 Gym Badges. Our next destination now is Helios City, but before that, we still haven't explored the area to the east of Vipik City yet. Fortunately thanks to the Abyssal Cult, we will get to explore it now because they've left us a Letter we got from a Hiker just outside the Gym. The letter says the following:

Edgy. At first I thought they meant they were gonna kill Mew because of the fact they mention Mew, but then we find out who they really have is Damian. Guess we gotta go rescue him.

Vipik Dump is annoying to navigate and there are alot of Abyssal Cultists here to battle, which is what I spent most of the video doing. We'll skip over all of that and jump to the end.

At the very back corner of the dump is Damian who is surrounded by a pool of bubbly goo. The bubbly goo is apparently very corrosive and will kill anyone who falls into it in seconds. They threaten to push Damian into the bubbly goo if we don't hand over Mew. How they are gonna push Damian into the goo I'm not sure of because they are on the complete other side of the bubbly goo from where Damian is. We also still don't meet the leader of this cult yet either. After refusing to hand over Mew, we battle 2 of the cultists. The fight is whatever, they are just like any other grunts we've faced up until this point. However I will post one thing:

A reminder to myself that Skrelp is not a loving Dark type!

Anyways after beating the cultists, Mew comes out of hiding anyways to protect Damian, a scene which delights the cultists. However Mew's intent wasn't to appease the cultists. Rather instead, this happens:

Mew calls for the assistance of another Pixie Legendary in the form of Shaymin to save Damian from his predicament, by turning the bubbly goo into fresh water, which causes the Abyssal Cultists to flee. Unfortunately, this now means that Damian has a loving Shaymin, making him one of the chosen ones of legend, as well as officially a rival, but because we only do these recording sessions at night, Damian will never be able to use his Shaymin to its maximum ability, making being only able to record these sessions at night an advantage.

However, because Mew was around to witness Shaymin use Seed Flare to turn the bubbly goo into water (which I'm sure will chaff the asses of them Darkrai boys), Mew was able to copy the ability, meaning we now Seed Flare ourselves! Seed Flare does exactly as Shaymin demonstrates, lets us turn bubbly goo into water.

Before I end off this part, I still got one more thing to go over, and that's what we can find in Vipik Dump. Here you find the following items:
  • TM 121 Infestation can be found at the east end of the dump behind a garbage pile
  • A Rare Candy can be found southwest of where Damian was behind some trash
  • A Hyper Potion can be found in the northwest part of the dump (Requires Surf and Seed Flare)
  • Also can find an Ice Heal, Awakening and an Ultra Ball

TM 121 Infestation: Inflicts damages, and traps the target (preventing them from fleeing) while inflicting 1/8th damage of its max HP for 4 to 5 turns (Basically Bug type Fire Spin, so it sucks)

Anyways, this was a much shorter part than normal, but with 2 major events happening back to back, this was an ideal spot for me to finish off my second playthrough session. Here's my team as of finishing off Session #2:

Next time, we leave Vipik and start heading towards Helios City, the capital of Torren and home of the third Gym.

Sprasshu fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 26, 2022

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

Alright, earlier I accidently uploaded the next part of my LP update prematurely before I'd finished writing it. I was working on making GIFs for the thread and misclicked upon clicking back onto this page. Hopefully I don't repeat that mistake too often again here, but anyways, this post is to say that Part 8 of the LP is now finished and up on Youtube for viewing. It'll be a bit before my next update since I start a new job tomorrow, but I'll try to get started on editing the third playthrough session this week. So expect a bit of a decline on how frequently I update this thread.

Sprasshu fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 25, 2022

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

Later than I wanted to be, but let's get straight into Xavier on Hard Mode.

Instead of the somewhat exploitable Shuckle, we get the pleasure of dealing with Delta Metang. This...is both easier and harder to deal with, as it has a number of notable weaknesses you're probably able to exploit and it's not nearly as bulky as Shuckle, but the variance of hazards it can set up is obnoxious. This is the only Pokemon we get this mercy for. Choice Band Heracross is technically exploitable due to the nature of Choice items, but it is very likely to take something out with its vastly improved coverage. Croagunk (not the right level for Toxicroak I suppose) is the easiest to deal with because compared to everything else, its stats are piss poor, but the last three more than make up for it. Tentacruel is very bulky and has Mirror Coat to punish any Psychic types hoping to run right over the team, as well as Haze to stop any setup as Tentacruel is also naturally fast and comes equipped with the Focus Sash to ensure it negates your efforts, and that's alongside having two fantastic STAB options. If Scald burns or Delta Metang set up Toxic Spikes, Gengar's power is absurd and it too cannot be taken out in one hit. Thankfully it has Explosion for some bizarre reason, so despite it being 250 power, Gengar's low Attack probably won't let it take out anything with that move. But let's get to the main threat: Mega Beedrill.

On top of having a much better Bug move to work with and likely much better EVs and IVs, it has one major change that makes this Beedrill a much bigger threat: it exchanges the mostly redundant Aerial Ace for Drill Run. This gives Beedrill at worst neutral coverage on every Pokemon in the game and isn't nearly as threatened by Rock types as it once was. No matter what I did for this fight, it wasn't enough. This monster could always OHKO any of my party, and it outsped everything too. So I had to delve into the box and get a Pokemon I wasn't originally considering as it had a whopping 0IV Attack with a negative nature on top of that; Staraptor. Intimidate was my out here, and despite the pathetic Attack on my Staraptor, it is still a Staraptor and Beedrill murders its own bulk to become the sweeper it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Though I don't have a big writeup for it, I will note that on Easy difficulty, aside from a bunch of various moveset changes and dropping most of the held items, the Beedrill is no longer a Mega on easy mode. This will keep happening for a bit; Mega Evolutions take a lot longer to start showing up on Easy Mode compared to Normal or Hard. It does still hold a Life Orb, but non-Mega Beedrill is considerably less of a threat.