Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys

Grape posted:

These are loving insanely good, though I think they have them in the general Northeast and not just New England.

Yes idk why I said New England, I’m from New York so I didn’t even include my own state lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I've traveled a lot for work and really enjoy trying out different regional foods across the US. One of my favorite ones to tell people about is West Virginia's pepperoni rolls. I was at a bar in Lewisburg, and the bartender told me I had to try them. I thought it sounded great. What's not to love about bread and pepperoni? Turns out that bread and pepperoni isn't exactly a killer combo on their own. They were so dry, that I was convinced that they're a scam for bars to get you to drink more beer. Any kind of dipping sauce and maybe some cheese would have saved them. The picture below also looks way fancier than the ones I got.

Growing up, I didn't realize this was a regional food until I moved and ordered one for the office during Mardi Gras. No one knew what it was. I'm talking about King Cake. I thought everyone knew about King Cake. Everyone should order a King Cake from a legit bakery ASAP if you haven't had one yet. Preferably with some filling.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Another regional specialty from florida is we take about 2oz of the water from soft boiling eggs, 1oz of the water from opening a ham out of the bag, a dash of ketchup, salt and pepper, a little tequilla...its called "The good morning shot"

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Eastern PA has scrapple which is ground meat mixed with corn meal and formed into a loaf. Most slice it and cook it until it's like a credit card you can consume. It's honestly better if you dice it and mash it into like a paste to brown the outsides, add sauteed onion and turn it into a hash with either diced eggplant or sweet potatoes but that's a very specific part of Philadelphia's Tasker St. lower-numbers region specialty of one house.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Uriah Heep posted:

Yes idk why I said New England, I’m from New York so I didn’t even include my own state lol

I mean our general area is the world champ at Autumn, we can collectively claim such wonders.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

In Southern NJ there's this stuff called Boost! that's been a small-town staple for over 100 years. It's like Coke syrup with a taste of citrus to it. Usually sold as slushies and floats, it's been used on it's own for upset stomach, too. The best places give you a little pretzel around the straw to add some salt to the sweetness. It's super-local, like if you go one county over in any direction no one's heard of it. It's good!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Professor Wayne posted:

I've traveled a lot for work and really enjoy trying out different regional foods across the US. One of my favorite ones to tell people about is West Virginia's pepperoni rolls. I was at a bar in Lewisburg, and the bartender told me I had to try them. I thought it sounded great. What's not to love about bread and pepperoni? Turns out that bread and pepperoni isn't exactly a killer combo on their own. They were so dry, that I was convinced that they're a scam for bars to get you to drink more beer. Any kind of dipping sauce and maybe some cheese would have saved them. The picture below also looks way fancier than the ones I got.

Head into New England and you'll get get what you are looking for. More like a french bread calzone in that it has cheese and tomato sauce in addition to the peperoni or salami or eggplant. It's really good.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

:hfive:

Yeah that was quite the surprise when I got one at a dive bar there. It was great.

We randomly picked some up after the bars closed from a dude just selling them in a parking lot near the fish market. Exactly what we needed at the time.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

a drink called "the shaft" its basically an espresso martini variation (but you have to drink it as fast as possible through a straw. and order 4+ of them so you never sleep, and race your friends at drinking them)

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
This thread depresses me. In 1994, when I got internet access, I thought that meant the end of regional specialties, because everything would be available to everyone forever from now on.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Instead you got 4chan.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Instead you got 4chan.

Nobody posts recipes on 4chan :(

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Eastern PA has scrapple which is ground meat mixed with corn meal and formed into a loaf. Most slice it and cook it until it's like a credit card you can consume. It's honestly better if you dice it and mash it into like a paste to brown the outsides, add sauteed onion and turn it into a hash with either diced eggplant or sweet potatoes but that's a very specific part of Philadelphia's Tasker St. lower-numbers region specialty of one house.

gently caress
Yes

Marylander speaking here, but Scrapple is the king of breakfast proteins. I love bacon on sandwiches and burgers and salads. Sausages is....meh.

But if I ever have a choice for a meat with a breakfast platter, it's 100% always going to be scrapple. Just a hunk in the frying pan until crispy.

Downside is having to describe to someone what it is.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

pro starcraft loser posted:

gently caress
Yes

Marylander speaking here, but Scrapple is the king of breakfast proteins. I love bacon on sandwiches and burgers and salads. Sausages is....meh.

But if I ever have a choice for a meat with a breakfast platter, it's 100% always going to be scrapple. Just a hunk in the frying pan until crispy.

"Everything but the oink."

Canadians might know it as liver pudding, but I don't know if they're exactly the same.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
We got:

Salmon Jerky
Salmon Pie
Salmon Fritters
Salmon Cakes
Salmon Casserole
Baked Salmon
Steamed Salmon
Fried Salmon
Poached Salmon
Candied Salmon
Salmon Tacos
Salmon Nachos
Salmon Wraps
Salmon Sandwiches
Salmon Ice Cream

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

pro starcraft loser posted:

gently caress
Yes

I dont live there anymore but utz crab chips, pit beef, scrapple, wawa subs and coffee, every bar having crab dip, pa dutch birch beer, are all stuff I miss

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Haverchuck posted:

I dont live there anymore but utz crab chips, pit beef, scrapple, wawa subs and coffee, every bar having crab dip, pa dutch birch beer, are all stuff I miss

I'm ashamed to say I don't think I've ever had pit beef, but then again I don't know if that's what I just consider roast beast on bread

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

yes. also quite good in burrito form.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

3 DONG HORSE posted:

yes. also quite good in burrito form.

:haibrower:

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Soda Farls. They really are quite regional because I can't find them in the Republic when I travel down there. They are even difficult to find in some of the border areas of N. Ireland. It was impossible to find a good one in Derry even though the city is full of amazing bakeries.

They are sort of heavy and dry which means they are more versatile than loaf-style soda bread, they are great for making quick pizzas.

Most people like to stuff it with fried food, though. The bread is fried too.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Haverchuck posted:

every so often i order pa dutch birch beer online and its worth whatever hellacious price i pay for it

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

We have Moreton Bay Bugs aka Thenus (like penis).

They are prepared like any other crustacean really but most commonly halved and bbq'd.

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
In Philly we have (in descending order of fame)

The cheesesteak, obviously.
Roast pork sandwiches (Italian style, with sharp provolone and broccoli rabe if you are hardcore)
Pizzazz pizza (with American cheese, sliced tomatoes and peppers, usually hot but sometimes roasted red)

Pork roll and Lebanon baloney are also specialities, but they are more NJ and upstate PA, respectively. Pepper and egg hoagies are a big thing too, although I think they're more of a general Northeastern Catholic thing. Banh mi, Mexican pizza (with stuff like chorizo and corn) and dive bars that serve Ethiopian food seem to be bigger here than elsewhere as well.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
Malort. It's an extremely bitter and horrible-tasting liquor. People describe the flavor as similar to eating something really terrible that's been mixed with gasoline. I have not tried it but my brother confirms that it's terrible.

Garrett's Popcorn sells gourmet popcorn and it's definitely much more popular than malort. They make the popcorn in all kinds of flavors. They did have a really nice cocoa version last Christmas.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I like Malort.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Secks Cauldron posted:

Malort. It's an extremely bitter and horrible-tasting liquor. People describe the flavor as similar to eating something really terrible that's been mixed with gasoline. I have not tried it but my brother confirms that it's terrible.

Garrett's Popcorn sells gourmet popcorn and it's definitely much more popular than malort. They make the popcorn in all kinds of flavors. They did have a really nice cocoa version last Christmas.

I’ve heard it described as “drinking rubber bands”

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Yeah I crave Scrapple. I feel like no one really picks that one up beyond the age where you start asking what's in things.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
The nectar of the gods:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_milk

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Valko posted:

Soda Farls.

Have had many an argument over what's better, soda or potato farls. Love a good soda but I'd probably eat more potato bread.

Another from here: Dulse.

A lot of cultures eat seaweed, the Northern Irish version is pretty low effort - picked, dried, and best bought at the side of a coast road in a wee paper bag off an octogenarian. Tastes like the sea but is exceptionally chewy. Nice with a pint as well.

Unfortunately it got a bit trendy for a while and popped up in health food stores and stuff but hopefully the kinda crunchy (sometimes literally) home sold versions stay around for a while yet.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

A lot of cultures eat seaweed, the Northern Irish version is pretty low effort - picked, dried, and best bought at the side of a coast road in a wee paper bag off an octogenarian. Tastes like the sea but is exceptionally chewy. Nice with a pint as well.

Unfortunately it got a bit trendy for a while and popped up in health food stores and stuff but hopefully the kinda crunchy (sometimes literally) home sold versions stay around for a while yet.
[/quote]

This is super cool

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Have had many an argument over what's better, soda or potato farls. Love a good soda but I'd probably eat more potato bread.

Talk about regional, you can only find dulse on coastal towns. I live 20 miles away from the coast and I haven't seen it in years. You can't mention it without also mentioning Yellowman.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/dulse-and-yellowman-northern-ireland

quote:

Chief among the culinary treats on offer is a particularly strange combination: dulse and yellowman. The latter is a yellow, toffee-textured honeycomb made from brown sugar, golden syrup, butter, vinegar, and baking soda (though some recipes vary slightly). Big chunks of yellowman are smashed up with a hammer, and sold in uneven shards. It’s kind of like a less refined version of the inside of a Cadbury’s Crunchie bar.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

in virginia beach every mexican restaurant serves the chips with salsa AND a sweet miracle whip based white sauce

https://www.pilotonline.com/food-drink/article_fe7119ba-6c23-11e9-be4f-1f7a7c9f8291.html

it has always been this way.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 27, 2022

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

poverty goat posted:

in virginia beach every mexican restaurant serves the nachos with salsa AND a sweet miracle whip based white sauce

https://www.pilotonline.com/food-drink/article_fe7119ba-6c23-11e9-be4f-1f7a7c9f8291.html

Is that what that is!?!?

My absolute favorite Mexican place (in NoVA) ever had a white sauce with the chips and I had no idea what it was. Mixing it with the salsa was so good.

Holy poo poo, You might have just solved a years old mystery for me.

Now if I could just figure out what cheese they use in the enchiladas...

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
In the central valley of california there is alot of meth, and STI's.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

poverty goat posted:

"dried organs" is worrying me. (I assume it's a misspelled "oregano" with a sloppy final "o" :classiclol:).

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
San Diego is definitely partly responsible for why 90% of beers at every bar are IPAs.

Stone sucks poo poo.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Malaxlimpa. A dark sweet rye bread.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

We have the conti roll. Which is basically an Italian combo (mortadella, coppa and salami) with pickled veg (eggplant is standard, other stuff varies from place to place and can include greens, onion, carrot, cucumber), anchovies, and often a hot chili and garlic paste on a long crusty roll with a hefty helping of butter.

Other than that I can't really think of any regional specialties other than the local seafood I guess, which afaik isn't prepared in any unique ways, but there is a lot of it and it's fresh and it's probably the best place in the world to get abalone. We also have a lot of truffles in season so we probably invented some stupid thing to do with cheap truffles like jamming them into sausage rolls or meat pies.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Faygo is the best pop in America

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

A Sometimes Food posted:

We have the conti roll. Which is basically an Italian combo (mortadella, coppa and salami) with pickled veg (eggplant is standard, other stuff varies from place to place and can include greens, onion, carrot, cucumber), anchovies, and often a hot chili and garlic paste on a long crusty roll with a hefty helping of butter.

that sounds loving amazing... this local italian restaurant has been making pickled eggplant to top their salads for 45 years and it would be amazing on a sammitch/roll

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm originally from Illinois, but not the Chicago part so the whole list of interesting and distinctive foods you find there doesn't count.

For downstate Illinois, the first thing that comes to mind is the horseshoe "sandwich": one slice of toast topped with a burg (or other choice of meat), fries, and cheese sauce.

Which, like, fine, I'll enjoy some unhealthy food piles from time to time. It just seems so hilariously Midwestern.