Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chickie nugs for brekkie
May 17, 2010

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

dive bars that serve Ethiopian food

Please explain. Asking for a friend.

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Have you all heard of this thing called a grinder? It's got bread and fillings! Totally unique can't get anything like it anywhere else.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Nah, all they have near me are hoagies.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
A town I used to live in had a Thai restaurant that bought and moved into an old donut shop. The donut equipment (fryers, other stuff?) was left there by the previous tenant and they decided to just keep it so now the place is a combination Thai restaurant/donut shop. Could be the only one like it?

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

The other chief specialty of Florida is Florida Man stories.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

neato burrito posted:

San Antonians love barbacoa tacos and Big Red. For breakfast. Yes, we are a very fat city.
To me, puffy tacos are the iconic San Antonio regional food.

It's a taco where the shell is made by deep frying fresh masa dough directly instead of using masa harina and grilling it into a tortilla first. It makes a flakey outside and a soft inside.

Pictured: A small child beats up one of the mascots for the city's AA baseball team:

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Funeral potatoes, they are served at weddings

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
seeing praise for Scrapple on the last page makes me want to finally buy and try it.

weird how kids get exposed to one type of ground/canned mystery meat and then shun all others. in my case its spam, spam is good, also only hormmel brand spam. also only og or reduced salt. dont even know why they make other flavors of spam exist.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
make sure to slice it thin and fry it crispy otherwise it's kind of mushy

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Professor Wayne posted:

I've traveled a lot for work and really enjoy trying out different regional foods across the US. One of my favorite ones to tell people about is West Virginia's pepperoni rolls. I was at a bar in Lewisburg, and the bartender told me I had to try them. I thought it sounded great. What's not to love about bread and pepperoni? Turns out that bread and pepperoni isn't exactly a killer combo on their own. They were so dry, that I was convinced that they're a scam for bars to get you to drink more beer. Any kind of dipping sauce and maybe some cheese would have saved them. The picture below also looks way fancier than the ones I got.

I'm sorry you got a lovely old pepperoni roll. Good pepperoni rolls are made with STICK pepperoni, NOT sliced and are so good when soft and fresh. excellent for fueling a hungry coal miner!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the Dutch balkenbrij is somewhat similar to scrapple

We usually eat it fried on bread for breakfast, or with fried onion and apple for dinner. It's made of undesirable cuts of pig meat, fat, blood and organs, mixed with buckwheat flour and a mix of spices, which apparenly is "rommelkruid, consisting of liquorice, sugar, anise, cinnamon, clove, white pepper, mace, ginger powder and sandalwood". It's very delicious.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

You Are A Elf posted:

Sonoran hot dogs:

A grilled hot dog wrapped in bacon and served in a toasted Mexican bolillo bread topped with pinto beans, diced tomatoes, onions, mayonnaise, mustard, green salsa, and cotija (a crumbly) cheese on it. El Güero Canelo is the most famous Sonoran hot dog vendor here, but there are also countless food trucks and carts scattered around town that also serve them (a lot of times cheaper and better, but I still like EGC).

Chimichangas:

Invented by accident at the US's oldest continuously operating Mexican restaurant, El Charro Cafe. Deep fried burritos and you can practically put whatever you want on them. They are a flexible food.

Fry bread:

It is just native fry bread from the Tohono O'odham and Pascua Yaqui tribes, but you start putting whatever the gently caress you want on it and it becomes a popover. There are several big variations of fry bread, but I just love me some honey and powdered sugar on a nice hot fry bread *drools*

These are all excellent choices, Arizona represent :hfive:

e: there’s a fry bread place around the corner from my house in Phoenix and I have a friend who comes into town and that’s the 1st place we must eat

sticksy fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 28, 2022

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm originally from Illinois, but not the Chicago part so the whole list of interesting and distinctive foods you find there doesn't count.

For downstate Illinois, the first thing that comes to mind is the horseshoe "sandwich": one slice of toast topped with a burg (or other choice of meat), fries, and cheese sauce.

Which, like, fine, I'll enjoy some unhealthy food piles from time to time. It just seems so hilariously Midwestern.
Hello fellow Ronnie-relating Downstater, as Chicagoans inexplicably refer to anyone not from Chicago (even people geographically West of Chicago, I have learned). You forgot R.C. Cola actually being a fairly common option at restaurants until fairly recently, which I think is notable and probably regional.

Also I would posit Steak 'n' Shake chili, even if not purely regional, but not national either, just not confined purely to the Midwest like Skyline Chili is. Anyway, the secret is that it is originally Mediterranean pasta sauce, not Mexican at all :suicide101:

Duck and Cover posted:

Have you all heard of this thing called a grinder? It's got bread and fillings! Totally unique can't get anything like it anywhere else.
Speaking of my hometown, thanks to an inexplicable and ancient rivalry between two Italianish restaurants, my answer to "what do you call long bread with fillings" on that infamous regional words survey was "gondola or torpedo, depending on which side of town you are from." Anyone not from around here, please try to guess which sandwich is made by Avanti's and which by La Gondola; I think you will be pleasantly surprised

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
The South Street Taco- South Street in Philadelphia could be a tourist shithole like Bourbon Street but since people own $700k houses a block away it's consistently blocked from attaining its final form. There is a pizza place called Lorenzo's that is open until 4am-ish on the weekends that only sells plain slices that are huge and a steak place up the street called Jim's that sold cheesesteaks until 4 am-ish on the weekends (it recently caught fire so wait a bit or hit Geno's/Pat's on the way in). SO people who hate their arteries got in the habit of taking the innards of a Jim's steak and putting it on their Lornzo's slice and folding it over into a taco-like form. It's got to max out at 2k calories.

pro starcraft loser posted:

But if I ever have a choice for a meat with a breakfast platter, it's 100% always going to be scrapple. Just a hunk in the frying pan until crispy.

Downside is having to describe to someone what it is.

If you ever get a chance, hit up an Amish butcher in the Reading Terminal Market. The Scrapple they have is next level.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Secks Cauldron posted:

Malort. It's an extremely bitter and horrible-tasting liquor. People describe the flavor as similar to eating something really terrible that's been mixed with gasoline. I have not tried it but my brother confirms that it's terrible.

My buddy lived in Chicago for a few years and he brought some of that stuff back.

Truly vile. Reminds me of rotten grapefruit and burning rubber.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Cornell University has a huge agriculture program where, among other things, they experiment with different hybrids. Late at night, if you listen closely, you can hear the screams of apricots coming from the laboratory up on the hill. Sometimes they sell the results at farmers' markets, so you'll see totally unique one-time-only varieties with names like "Apples: Cornell #18269-B".

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dr. Quarex posted:

Anyone not from around here, please try to guess which sandwich is made by Avanti's and which by La Gondola; I think you will be pleasantly surprised

Ugh, I miss those places a whole lot even if they're nothing really fancy. I always have to stop by when I'm visiting home, and my folks have even brought some stuff out from them when they drive out here.

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran

Pennywise the Frown posted:

edit: ^^^^ yeah Friday Fish Fry's are huge here. I usually get the walleye but perch can be pretty good. I used to get cod when I was younger but it's just too plain.

I promise you that that third picture is from Germany

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Troubadour posted:

I promise you that that third picture is from Germany

Have you been to Wisconsin?

It's Little Germany. I've been served beer by woman in lederhosen or whatever.

When I was a kid I literally thought everyone was half-German.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 28, 2022

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013

chickie nugs for brekkie posted:

Please explain. Asking for a friend.

:69snypa:

There's ERA and that one on Baltimore Avenue that I know of, and I think there's supposed to be one out by Upper Darby. Both have cheapish bars and solid Ethiopian menus. Tying one on and eating stew/raw meat with your hands is a pretty natural combination.

PhazonLink posted:

seeing praise for Scrapple on the last page makes me want to finally buy and try it.

weird how kids get exposed to one type of ground/canned mystery meat and then shun all others.

Life is a banquet (of animal intestines and salt) and most poor suckers are starving. I wasn't brave enough to try it until I was close to 30 and I weep for those unknown pleasures, those long wasted years.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Moxie

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

sticksy posted:

e: there’s a fry bread place around the corner from my house in Phoenix and I have a friend who comes into town and that’s the 1st place we must eat

:yeah:

The San Xavier Reservation always has hot fry bread being sold somewhere. It owns to always have it fresh nearby.

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 28, 2022

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm currently in Montana where all wildlife can be found in sausage/jerky form. The local groceries always have kits for it in stock. I've had deer, bison, and pheasant sausages, but I like elk the best. It's got a stronger flavor than beef, but not at all gamey.

We also have delicious prehistoric river fish:

Much like other game, there's no special recipes for paddlefish. Montana recipes go pretty rustic, so you just grill up your weird meat or cure it. This place does have the best, hottest horseradish I've ever had, though.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Have you been to Wisconsin?

It's Little Germany. I've been served beer by woman in lederhosen or whatever.

When I was a kid I literally thought everyone was half-German.

also: Pasties

and no that is not a slur for white people

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Here in Skåne, Sweden we make a spit cake called spettekaka — or spiddekaga in the Scanian dialect. You'll be shocked to know that spiddekaga translates directly to spit cake.

The spiddekaga itself is about as imaginative as its name:

Eggs, sugar and potato starch is mixed. The batter is then poured onto a roasting spit, sometimes in fancy patterns. The finishing grace usually consists of even more sugar in the form of frosting.

What does a spiddekaga taste like? Eggs and sugar. What's the texture like? So dry that only Ben Shapiro could eat a slice without faltering. It's also very brittle and you'll typically use a hacksaw to cut pieces to preserve the unholy structure.

You can make them very big if you want to:

But such extravagance is especially wasteful in the case of the spiddekaga; the signature dryness means that once the cake's out of the plastic bag (which you can use to asphyxiate yourself) it'll desperately absorb moisture and become a soggy mess.

No-one eats spiddekaga any more. Yet for some reason we have two operating spiddekaga bakeries here in Malmö, a city with a population consisting of young people from other regions and immigrants, so the spiddekaga bakeries make even less sense. I can only assume that these places are fronts for drug operations.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

anatomi posted:

Here in Skåne, Sweden we make a spit cake called spettekaka — or spiddekaga in the Scanian dialect. You'll be shocked to know that spiddekaga translates directly to spit cake.

Eggs, sugar and potato starch is mixed. The batter is then poured onto a roasting spit, sometimes in fancy patterns. The finishing grace usually consists of even more sugar in the form of frosting.

What does a spiddekaga taste like? Eggs and sugar. What's the texture like? So dry that only Ben Shapiro could eat a slice without faltering. It's also very brittle and you'll typically use a hacksaw to cut pieces to preserve the unholy structure.

But such extravagance is especially wasteful in the case of the spiddekaga; the signature dryness means that once the cake's out of the plastic bag (which you can use to asphyxiate yourself) it'll desperately absorb moisture and become a soggy mess.

No-one eats spiddekaga any more. Yet for some reason we have two operating spiddekaga bakeries here in Malmö, a city with a population consisting of young people from other regions and immigrants, so the spiddekaga bakeries make even less sense. I can only assume that these places are fronts for drug operations.
the closest ive ever seen to the u.s being so self-aware about its cuisine

also

me want brick cake

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Maine is awesome in general, but moxie loving sucks

Maine's other big culinary specialty iirc (other than lobsters) are needhams, which are a chocolate covered potato and coconut patties.

Clam fritters were mentioned page 1 and are new england summers in food form. There's a local place that serves a slightly sweet creamy sauce with them that is absolutely amazing.

I remember being surprised to discover birch beer is mainly a northeastern thing and virtually unknown on the west coast

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

In Syracuse we have salt potatoes, which are little potatoes that are boiled in highly salted water. They are served with butter.

We also have the New York State Fair and you can get these chicken sandwiches that are called Spiedies. They put these marinated chicken breast pieces on skewers and grill them and put them on bread.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

free hubcaps posted:

Maine is awesome in general, but moxie loving sucks

Oh, this reminds me.

If anyone is wondering why there is a N. Irish soft drinks company named after a US state... it isn't. It's named after the river that flows through the town where the company is situated. Maine is anglicised from Abhainn Mhaighin, "river of the plain". Or simply 'An Mhean'.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Butter OR cheese (it can only be one of the two) on a slice of white bread. Top with a slice of rye bread. You just made an Amagermad

https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amagermad

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Fruits of the sea posted:

Butter OR cheese (it can only be one of the two) on a slice of white bread. Top with a slice of rye bread. You just made an Amagermad

sorry, wont do it again

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Fruits of the sea posted:

How'd you know I was an Amager?!

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

20 Blunts posted:

Hahaha, is now! That's perfect .

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

20 Blunts posted:

So I just put these on my nipples?

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

A couple of sandwiches are very specific to the north shore of Massachusetts. The first is a steak bomb, which is what a cheesesteak wishes it could be. It consists of shaved steak, provolone, peppers&onions, salami, and sometimes mushrooms, all on a sub roll.

The second is the “famous roast beef”. There are dozens of places on the north shore called “{name} Famous roast beef”. It’s important to note that it is not the place that is famous, it is the name of the sandwich. A famous roast beef is rare roast beef, cut very thinly and put on a roll. The most common version is called the three-way, which consists of American cheese (always on the bottom), mayonnaise, and James River barbecue sauce. The James River sauce cannot be substituted for any other brand. The sandwich comes in three sizes: Junior, on a hamburger bun; Regular, on a sesame bun; and super, on an onion roll.

The other north shore sandwich, the chop Suey sandwich, has essentially become retired. Salem Lowe, the place that invented it, closed down for good a few weeks ago. You might be able to get one at Salisbury Beach, but I wouldn’t quote me on that

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Y'all ever eat a marionberry

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

anatomi posted:

What do you call those chocolates balls covered in pearl sugar. No not that name the other one, the one my grandmother used. I didn't pick up on until I was older looking for recipes online.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 29, 2022

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Connecticut has steamed cheeseburgers but they aren’t good so stick with new haven style pizza instead, washed down with a good local brewski.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Oh yeah, broasted chicken is a big thing here. The broaster was invented in Wisconsin!

They have broasted chicken at tons of bars and even drive-ins here. Not sure if it's bigger outside of my city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Connecticut has steamed cheeseburgers but they aren’t good so stick with new haven style pizza instead, washed down with a good local brewski.

That makes sense since it's very uncommon in the state. I haven't had one. All pizzas are good pizzas. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_pizza