Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Duck and Cover posted:

That makes sense since it's very uncommon in the state. I haven't had one. All pizzas are good pizzas. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_pizza

I haven't run across Greek Pizza before, it looks good and I'd definitely go for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Do bacon, egg, and cheese sandwiches count as a New York regional specialty? Does pizza? Does anything???

Uriah Heep posted:

Come autumn in the northeast US nothing slaps quite as hard as apple cider donuts . Not sure how regional they are, in reality I'm sure you can find them anywhere but they are a new england staple for sure

Gotta get them fresh though, man they are dynamite

Oh man, apple cider donuts are literally the only thing I miss about Massachusetts. So delicious. :keke:

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

We got:

Salmon Jerky
Salmon Pie
Salmon Fritters
Salmon Cakes
Salmon Casserole
Baked Salmon
Steamed Salmon
Fried Salmon
Poached Salmon
Candied Salmon
Salmon Tacos
Salmon Nachos
Salmon Wraps
Salmon Sandwiches
Salmon Ice Cream

Where is this place? I need to go there. :stare:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Sounds like Washington state.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

We got:

Salmon Jerky
Salmon Pie
Salmon Fritters
Salmon Cakes
Salmon Casserole
Baked Salmon
Steamed Salmon
Fried Salmon
Poached Salmon
Candied Salmon
Salmon Tacos
Salmon Nachos
Salmon Wraps
Salmon Sandwiches
Salmon Ice Cream

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Duck and Cover posted:

That makes sense since it's very uncommon in the state. I haven't had one. All pizzas are good pizzas. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_pizza

Yeah Greek style pizza was the predominant style in CT forever except for actually around New Haven but within the past few years almost every new place that opens up anywhere in the state is NH style (brick oven, thin crispy crust). There are great examples of both styles but for the most part the new trendy places are all brick oven while the old mom n pops are all Greek style.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Yeah Greek style pizza was the predominant style in CT forever except for actually around New Haven but within the past few years almost every new place that opens up anywhere in the state is NH style (brick oven, thin crispy crust). There are great examples of both styles but for the most part the new trendy places are all brick oven while the old mom n pops are all Greek style.

Yep pretty much. I did get a new greek pizza place near me but covid killed it. Which sucks because they actually did a taco pizza like the place I grew up. I think I'm down to one option for greek pizza and they aren't on dineinct so I never think of them also they don't do a taco pizza.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 29, 2022

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

In Montana there’s this thing called “Huckleberry Bullshit” which is where they put huckleberry in everything.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

fat bossy gerbil posted:

In Montana there’s this thing called “Huckleberry Bullshit” which is where they put huckleberry in everything.

those are just blueberries btw

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I haven't run across Greek Pizza before, it looks good and I'd definitely go for one.

Kinda looks like Ledo Pizza pizza.

Which I want now...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I guess the closest thing Toronto has is the peameal bacon sandwhich and the only place I know to get it is at St Lawrence market. Pretty good tho.

Tbh Canada is kinda rubbish for regional cuisine, def not on the scale of the States.

But I was back in Tobago this year which definitely has a bunch of stuff. Stuff like:

Crab & dumpling

Doubles*

Assorted sweets such as tamarind balls, sugar cake, red mango, almost exclusively sold by street vendors near the beaches

Malta

And I also had a cocktail containing puncheon for the first time, a 75% ABV rum that tastes like gasoline.

*OK, this and other stuff is popular in Trinidad as well but I definitely associate them with growing up in Tobago.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Mordja posted:

Tbh Canada is kinda rubbish for regional cuisine, def not on the scale of the States.

anglo canada*

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Connecticut has steamed cheeseburgers but they aren’t good so stick with new haven style pizza instead, washed down with a good local brewski.

I had a steamed cheeseburger once (the place that makes them is on the other end of the state from me) at a food truck festival I wasn't all that impressed but the guy manning the truck volunteered "we're the only place that even makes them like that, I think. Crazy, huh?" and he didn't get I was making fun of him with "Yeah, I can't imagine why no one else would do this." All it did was create a wet burger. Extra effort and time for a burger that wasn't an improvement to the standard thing.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
If you've ever had White Castle you've had a steamed ham hamburger. :eng101:

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Duck and Cover posted:

What do you call those chocolates balls covered in pearl sugar. No not that name the other one, the one my grandmother used. I didn't pick up on until I was older looking for recipes online.
thats-bait.gif

I'm old enough to remember the unhinged outrage that the usual suspects barfed onto national television and newspaper opinion pages over the notion that maybe we shouldn't be super-duper racist all the time, especially not when referring to a children's dessert.

These days I never hear idiots in the ICA queue stubbornly insist on and take pride in using the old name for chocolate balls. #blessed

anatomi fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 29, 2022

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Duck and Cover posted:

Yeah I've never heard of steamed hamburgers and I'm from CT.
Greek pizza is legit and actually the type I was raised on. Between it and Apizza I actually kinda could give a poo poo about NYC style.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've steamed some burgs on top of onion slices a few times, I actually like them as an occasional change. They pick up some mice onion flavor and keep a lot more liquid in so they have a different texture. "Good 'n' moist" is how I'd describe them, and what my slogan will be if I ever open up a restaurant for them.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Oh yeah, broasted chicken is a big thing here. The broaster was invented in Wisconsin!

They have broasted chicken at tons of bars and even drive-ins here. Not sure if it's bigger outside of my city.

Yeah def popular around Wisco.
But, it does seem to wax and wane over years. For example, right now it's not that popular here in Green Bay, but, several years ago you could get it anywhere, and it seems to shift like that. Like, in 3 years? I bet it'll be everywhere again. I'm not real sure what's up w/that. But it is a relative constant. You can always find it SOMEWHERE.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The cycle that has been confusing me the most is the continual wax and wane of cupcake, cookie, and frozen yogurterias

Donuts have seemingly remained popular during this entire period

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ugh, I miss those places a whole lot even if they're nothing really fancy. I always have to stop by when I'm visiting home, and my folks have even brought some stuff out from them when they drive out here.
How far are you now? I am still back there all the time since my father lives there

Did you know you can have Avanti's bread shipped to you? You have to do 10+ loaves at once, but I have given that as a birthday present twice and both people were incredibly appreciative, haha

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

How far are you now? I am still back there all the time since my father lives there

Did you know you can have Avanti's bread shipped to you? You have to do 10+ loaves at once, but I have given that as a birthday present twice and both people were incredibly appreciative, haha

Oh, I moved 1000 miles away so it's not too frequent to get the chance to be back there, especially these last couple years. I hadn't realized they shipped the bread, I'll have to look into that and see if there might be a chance to do something with folks out here since there's no way I'd get through 10 loaves on my own before they get stale.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Grape posted:

Yeah I've never heard of steamed hamburgers and I'm from CT.
Greek pizza is legit and actually the type I was raised on. Between it and Apizza I actually kinda could give a poo poo about NYC style.

NYC style is good for just cheese or pepperoni, and it’s a big enough slice that you can grab one for a quick lunch while walking but if you’re going for more than one topping it’s Greek or NH style.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’m honestly surprised CT doesn’t really have its own hot dog variation. We got coneys but that’s more specifically a New England/NY regional thing.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Aside from the typical maple [blank] , blank being syrup, sugar, candy, or just flavor added to anything, Vermont has a few other local/regional things.

In North Western VT and across the lake in the Plattsburgh, NY area we have Michigan Dogs.

The name comes from the Coney Dogs you can get in Detroit, which get their name from Coney Island , which doesn't really have these dogs? I mean...at its core, it's a chili dog, BUT a specific type of chili that, originally, was made by Greek immigrants. So it's not usually hot spicy, but might have flavors of allspice, clove, oregano, etc.. And never, to my recollection, with beans. Also similar to the 'NY System' dogs in parts of CT

Then topped with raw white onions and yellow mustard, on a New England-style hot dog bun.

We also got creamees. What's a creemee? A creamie is just local slang for soft serve ice cream...maple being a very popular flavor, naturally. Some claim the mix used in places around here has a higher milk far percentage, but probably not. No one can decide just how to spell creemie , either.

There's also The Vermonter. A sandwich with honey or maple roasted turkey, sometimes ham, red onion, sharp Vermont cheddar, honey or brown mustard, and apple slices, ideally a local one, and a tart, crisp variety like Macintosh. On whole wheat.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Chopped Cheese. Which is s surprisingly elegant idea that no one thought of until like 5 years ago. Just take ground beef and grill it together with cheese, onion, pepper, and tomato on a roll.

It started out as a cheap sandwich to use over leftover ingredients at a bodega and now people are charging 12 bucks for it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Well I'm about 50ish miles from the dead center of Chicago but the Chicago dog is the way to go. That's my #1. #2 would probably be a chili cheese dog, and then #3 a Seattle dog.

edit: Here's Triumph the Insult Dog and Jack McBrayer at the famous Weiners Circle in Chicago. They are known for treating their customers like poo poo. I want to go there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33zPlnhymCU

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 30, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Well I'm about 50ish miles from the dead center of Chicago but the Chicago dog is the way to go. That's my #1. #2 would probably be a chili cheese dog, and then #3 a Seattle dog.

Man I love Chicago dogs, even if they go completely against my usual feeling of "less is more" for sandwiches and stuff. Nothing better than a Chicago dog and cheese fries for a good old unhealthy meal.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Thundercracker posted:

Chopped Cheese. Which is s surprisingly elegant idea that no one thought of until like 5 years ago. Just take ground beef and grill it together with cheese, onion, pepper, and tomato on a roll.

It started out as a cheap sandwich to use over leftover ingredients at a bodega and now people are charging 12 bucks for it.

still one of my favorite youtube videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBVptNzeTOQ

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
pork roll

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

DrBouvenstein posted:

There's also The Vermonter. A sandwich with honey or maple roasted turkey, sometimes ham, red onion, sharp Vermont cheddar, honey or brown mustard, and apple slices, ideally a local one, and a tart, crisp variety like Macintosh. On whole wheat.
Do not forget my favorite Vermont delight, "just loving drinking maple syrup"

Slightly less horrifying, "coffee, but with maple syrup"

To clarify, I like both of these things, I am just aware others will be traumatized n

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Dr. Quarex posted:

not a regional thing but a little ice cream in your coffee is really good. can't have too much or else the coffee gets too cold.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Dr. Quarex posted:

Do not forget my favorite Vermont delight, "just loving drinking maple syrup"

To clarify, I like both of these things, I am just aware others will be traumatized n

My aunt and uncle lived in northern WI and tapped their own maple trees. When I was a kid they'd give us huge mason jars of it. I hated it. It was so thin and strong and I wanted Aunt Jamima thick fake corn syrup.

Man. I was a loving idiot. Each one of those mason jars would be like $30+ now. At the very least. Probably closer to $50.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Someone already beat me to it, but I live in the middle of Maryland. We eat blue crabs with Old Bay seasoning on them. Marylanders put Old Bay on everything, which is a bit much.

Again, mentioned already but another regional specialties includes Pit Beef, which is from what I can tell just a sliced roast beef sandwich.

There's Smith Island Cake, which is like a lot of really thin cake layers with frosting in between and it's really good.

Someone said something about PA Lebanon Bologna earlier, which is amazing.

I can't think of anything else regional about Maryland cuisine that's notable. Natty Boh doesn't count since it's not brewed here anymore and it tastes just like PBR, Lone Star, Hamms, etc - or maybe it does because nobody else drinks Boh anywhere else.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Sweet mustard pickles, Nanaimo bars, all-dressed chips, Saskatoon berries all fuckin slap

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Something that’s good about New England food is we don’t put globs of mayonnaise on everything

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Something that’s good about New England food is we don’t put globs of mayonnaise on everything

It's called a lobster roll. The hot ones have butter.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 30, 2022

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Planet X posted:

Someone already beat me to it, but I live in the middle of Maryland. We eat blue crabs with Old Bay seasoning on them. Marylanders put Old Bay on everything, which is a bit much.

Just me and my friends eating a bunch of spiders

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I present to you the Indiana pork tenderloin. Personally, I like smaller diameter, thicker tenderloins than what is pictured, but these are OK if not rather ridiculous. Some are paper-thin and are questionable as to whether there's actually any meat in them.

Sugar cream pie. Another Indiana classic. These are usually really good or really bad with no middle ground.

I'm sure both are probably more Midwestern, but Indiana seems to be the epicenter for both.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
We Hoosiers definitely take credit for both of those. Never had a tenderloin sandwich because I would feel self-conscious eating it. I’ve heard of sugar pie being called Hoosier pie sometimes so I guess it does no harm to assume we invented it.

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 30, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I like the spare bun, all ready to go if you want to make another 1/10 of the tendo into a second sandwich

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Captain Hygiene posted:

I like the spare bun, all ready to go if you want to make another 1/10 of the tendo into a second sandwich
One of my favorite stories was when I ordered the pork tenderloin at a place (in Illinois, though, not that I knew about the Indiana Tenderloin at the time anyway) and the woman was like "it's pretty big, how many buns do you want?" and I said "what do you recommend?" and she said 4, so I was like "oh, I get it, like a tenderloin so big it is about twice as big as the bun so you need four total buns."

Obviously, no, she meant four sets of buns, and it was about that size so each of the four sets of buns had about two more buns' worth of tenderloin hanging out the side.

I cut it in four pieces and got to work.

As I finished the third Pork Quadrant, she passed by the table and said "I've never actually seen anyone finish one of those" so I said "do I get my name on a plaque?" and she said "no" so I said "O.K., can I have free dessert or something?" and she said "sure!" so I finished it. And the free bag of powdered donuts.

I did not suffer any ill effects from this expedition, but I think that was actually the time where I said "you know what, I am not impressing anyone, and I get nothing out of being the guy who can eat the most, so maybe I should stop"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The fish cake hot dog is a Philadelphia specialty that's dying out. It's a hot dog with a fish cake on it.