Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

carlcx, cavauro and yea ok should be modded in this forum

no irony posting, no bullshit - just my serious opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

oh dang it looks like Carl already is - nevertheless my point still stands that the other two would be great choices for mods that would not hand out dipshit probations for silly stuff while still knowing where the lines are

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

CarlCX posted:

Brut's our noble MMA mod, I'm just thread maintenance and occasional shenanigans IK. With you on the rest, though.

as a side note I also wasn't meaning I wanted anyone currently a mod de-modded, just the other two added in addition

that way there would be the coverage folks are asking for without any witch hunts about who is or isn't here enough because expecting modding this place to be like a second job is not only asking too much but it's also likely to make each moderator insane as we've seen happen multiple times before

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

Feedback: our mods should be referred to as referees to fit the theme.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Referees can only probe posts they actually read

This would probably be an improvement right off the bat

I actually really like both of these without irony if there was a way to make the second one work without completely removing the report button

I've never needed the use of the report button but I don't want people thinking there wouldn't be a way to immediately point out posts with hate speech or illegal poo poo etc

banger of an idea that would fit the theme of the subforum perfectly though on both

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

the ignore function would be far more useful if it didn't put that stupid notice on there asking you to click to see the post taking up nearly as much space as the bad post would have

just make the post invisible altogether like it never even happened

I tried using it once many years ago and those notices were more annoying than the posts I was trying to ignore so I gave up on the feature forever

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

isn't it like the one guy that flips out every week and starts out the whole thing each time

if not it seems like it lol

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Critical posted:

This thread seems to think that the "words before buttons" philosophy is best, and I very much tend to agree. You may have noticed in the AEW thread. A slight nudging of the conversation seem to have helped keep the thread from hurtling completely off the rails. Also spent most of the night last night nearly in tears laughing at some of the posts in there, so I appreciate the effort of everyone to keep sane.

That being said, I realize that it can be a thin line to walk sometimes and I don't want to smother conversation. If you feel like that may be happening, please let me know. My PMs are open for pretty much any reason.

Your whole post was good but this in particular is awesome - this method (outside of a few people that just can't stop melting down and refuse to take a hint over the years) seems to work best to keep everyone happy without going buck wild with probations

please don't go nuts modding this place, you seem to have your poo poo together and it's already claimed so many souls

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

outside of that one poster that physically can't stop themselves from melting down at every chance the aew thread has been the funniest it's been in a long time so thanks to cm punk for being a petty messy bitch completely unprovoked and to our moderators for being chill

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Critical posted:

i honestly think it's 95% that everyone is able to concentrate on the asininity (is this a word?) of the drama so no one is arguing about the women or hangers booking or whatever the gently caress we get into slapfights every week about. we will take the 5% credit though.

the mma threads were always united for short periods of time by conor mcgregor meltdowns and jon jones' brushes with the law so it's good to see the wrestling threads get their version

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

those are all pretty good rules

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I'm glad you're both taking the same approach from the start because it's a great approach and it's already showing results

shout out to the rest of the mods for chilling out a bit too, the last couple days have been noticeably different in atmosphere

I've always preferred the just make a post and tell people to chill or they'll get probed method rather than just handing them out constantly to everyone because a warning typically works and the posters it doesn't work for don't end up here long anyway

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

another good decision, thank you

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

the new mods have been doing a great job and I'm glad they're just saying 'hey, chill' before hitting the buttons because 9 times out of 10 that's all that's needed

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

also embed the song 'faith' by george michael in every post

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Shard posted:

What about the Limp Bizkit cover?

dealer's choice

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

can we do away with posting vague clickbait fightful select tweets without a summary of the information in the 'article' - they're basically as annoying as rovert posting and posting vague tweets behind a paywall is really stupid

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

JUNGLE BOY posted:

0 days since last incident of me posting content i enjoy majorly pissing someone off for some reason

i enjoy the speculation, and i was curious who it was. sorry that this ruined your day.

sorry you took this personally because it wasn't about you, and you didn't ruin my day or whatever the dunk attempt was there

the only thing I was asking for is requiring a summary below the tweet of what is actually behind the paywall if someone is going to vaguepost it

often times people already do this, which is nice - you not doing that this time you can take personally if you really need to I guess?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Critical posted:

I usually take the SRS tweets as an unspoken "Anyone with a sub have the scoops brother?" request.

this is basically all I was asking for

if you post a srs vaguepost, include a summary of any real information that is behind the paywall or just don't post it

Serious question, what do you expect people to post as a summary with it if they aren’t a subscriber so have absolutely no information to add other than the twitter scoopster’s vaguepost?

If it's just clickbait with absolutely no info how about just not posting it because that's basically just an advertisement

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I didn't know asking people to post the actual information instead of just the clickbait advertisement tweet would be controversial but here we are

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

JUNGLE BOY posted:

You posted it immediately after my post but ok. And there wasn't a summary yet, the summary was the tweet. I was posting it because it was being widely circulated elsewhere, and I wanted to discuss it because I was hoping someone else would post the news when it came out.

it was literally just the most recent example of something that happens fairly often and something I forgot to bring up previously as a suggestion so it kinda was a post it before I forget again situation, it wasn't directed at you personally so I apologize if it seemed that way

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

people still physically cannot stop themselves from posting rovert tweets as one was just posted like a day or two ago so why would you bother trying to limit dave

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Like, what is this subforum's obsession with Trev? He's got some stupid weird ban in place where he's not actually banned and hangs over the place like a ghost. Just ban him properly and move on. If somebody posts his tweets in the bad takes thread, who cares? That's what it's there for. If you're gonna probe people for posting Rovert tweets than you may as well do the same for whenever Dave or SRS vague post in their tweets.

he's a mentally unstable narcissicist that goes full on stalker meltdown to people in PMs here when he's allowed around and had multiple posters feeling like he's actually a risk to keep around because the instability kept getting worse

it's not just about his stupid tweets

hope this helps

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

yeah the post was probably a joke but it was also weird and like iggy said sixers are a pretty harmless way to get a point across lightly without being heavy handed about it - most people that get them don't even realize it until they look at their rap sheet later lol

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

stop being dicks to each other and bond over making bad jokes about fake fighting and professional wrestling

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

the key is to just read the last page then post like you know what happened in all of them

just like when you dont watch the show for months at a time and have opinions on it's direction or quality

I have done both at points but when will remain a mystery because I make sure my posts are always bad so that nobody ever notices

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

got out before the position turned you insane, good call. thanks for your service

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

yeah I don't really feel like we're being under-moderated or anything and there are other mods around

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Alaois posted:

better idea: train random non-PSP posters to PSP for a week and give them IK powers

then we're just back to the original complaint people had lol

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

years ago I used to get mad about the posts of others a lot - got into a bunch of arguments and tried to be part of the posting police

then I got old and stopped taking words an anonymous person posts on the internet about fake fighting (and pro wrestling) seriously because at the end of the day nothing they say actually matters

I recommend it, my blood pressure is lower and it lets me enjoy the joke posts more

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 28, 2023

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I'm not "Sealioning" whatever that means

it was this weeks phrase that means someone got offended by something that I had to google because I had never heard it before

these new phrases are coming fast and furious nowadays, a quarter sentence at a time

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

These dang kids got TOO MANY WORDS, about a concept coined in 2014

I'm old, it takes me years to catch up

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 1, 2023

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Please refer to this web comic popular among people who spend lots of time arguing in D&D

lol

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

can we create a dax is totally not unhappy in aew quarantine thread for his twitter posts and podcast quotes

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

that's a joke but that guy needs to just stop

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

but on rare occasions that thread is good and doesn't need dax's whining

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

being bad enough to force cav to serious post on you with evidence tells me all I need to know

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Cavauro posted:

'The Hausu Usher' brought up other subforums that I guess they like to post in as proof that this place is full of hosed up cultists or something, but if they didn't care about taking part in those subforums and only showed up there every few months to repeat a shtick about how everyone there is a hypocrite, those forums would also probably take note and grow progressively more tired of it, instead of seeing that poster as any other random person every day. There's a clear difference in how they conduct themselves here and I don't know, maybe a mod is needed who understands what Jim Cornette is to take a look at this situation but it seems pretty apparent to me that this has already happened. This person comes here to pull strings and present themselves as a normal person who gets pulled into teaching the enlightened centrism and nobody else—even in a forum as even-keeled and sensible as Inspect Your Gadgets—would want to go, "shucks, put them on ignore!" as a way of 'resolving' it.

None of that even matters. There's no benefit in adding to the persecution complex. This subforum will be made objectively better by not having this happen a few times a year when some creep wants to venture out and be Calm Logical Joker in a place that they don't respect a single other person. Just do something about it instead of focusing on the decorum of not being allowed to tell somebody their bullshit is not worth reading. Let's avoid having this happen for the 4th time and beyond. Thanks.

people that normally sleep on the lighthearted cav posts shouldn't just skip over the serious ones because they're right on

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

IK for life but only in the threads for whatever promotion Cody is working in

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

circle the wagons, somebody got a sixer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

was a weird probe though but we can all get through this together