Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Tbh I struggle to understand what bad faith even means in the context of this forum. Joke posts? Most joke posts are very obviously joke posts so I'm confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
My first thought is that Americans are very weird about the c word. I don't like using it (because it's reserved for incredibly stupid people, ie Matt Hancock) but the idea that it's a slur is very strange to me. I get that that I'm not going to win this fight though. THANKS OBAMA

Secondly, the bad takes thread is bad because people take whatever fiendfan666 has to say seriously, more seriously than fiendfan666, if they're even an actual person to begin with!

Thirdly, I get that WWE crapped on everything for ages but, mate, it's World War III (not the PPV) and there's an ecological disaster on. I'm trying not to kill myself and wrestling is supposed to be fun. You're putting me off this AEW thingy. I don't even know what caused this crap, also it's not a slur Americans.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What did EMF say (apart from unbelievable)

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Happiness posted:

the overarching internet wrestling culture has gotten more factional and this has lead to people constantly trying to shove people's normal longstanding reactions to wwe into a Wrestling War narrative

I think this is the big thing. It's sometimes hard to step back a bit from something you really like, even if you're aware of those old "geek social fallacies" lists and that a criticism of something you enjoy isn't a direct knock on you as a person.

I'm kind of distant from the whole thing and I don't regularly follow the AEW thread, but I feel like this is why some people had trouble acknowledging that the MJF promo might have been offensive to others. WWE has been pumping out content that's very clearly offensive and racist for literal decades, so the concern that AEW might have also done something in that line gets slotted into a wider back-and-forth about the two companies when that shouldn't be the case, because it's irrelevant. I think most people here know that, but sometimes it gets a bit lost, especially if you're dwelling on what the "WWE stan on Twitter" or some other idiot has to say about it.

Similarly, I posted in the social media thread recently about a time I vaguely remember (no receipts unfortunately, as usual, but I'm 95% I didn't dream it) when someone was uncomfortable about the use of blood in wrestling and one or two people accused them of swallowing Vince McMahon's tripe about it being "barbaric" or whatever, seemingly forgetting that lots of people have a natural aversion to blood and/or people cutting themselves. It's a personal thing, not a silly partisan culture thing that many people might not be aware of in the first place!

I just think it would be nice if we all took a step back sometimes. We all like the same thing, we can have a community that matches that vibe. Most places on the internet don't match it, but most people here are cool. :)

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I have to admit that before I googled it, my first two thoughts were:

1.) an actual sea lion
2.) Ian Anderson's friend Cecil, who is also a sea lion (no central heating or cement)

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 1, 2023

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I have to admit that before I googled it, my first two thoughts were:

1.) an actual sea lion
2.) Ian Anderson's friend Cecil, who is also a sea lion (no central heating or cement)

Keep in mind I'm not trying to be dismissive here! I feel like there are two reasons why I've never heard of sealioning before:

1.) The only webcomic I've ever read is Achewood, and due to me being brokebrained I can't remember a single thing I did in 2014. I wish I was joking but I can barely even remember last week.

2.) I don't engage in serious discourse online, because I consider myself left-wing and it's loving exhausting.

But then this is also a pro wrestling and people punching each other in the face board. I just think it's a bit silly that people can get so (I only say this because I can't think of a better word) serious about it. There shouldn't be any need for false discourse or whatever!

Maybe I'm just old (30+).

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Fez always seemed like a good egg to me, learned a few things about Japanese wrestling from them. Baffled that anyone wanted to spend money to plaster weird stuff on their avatar, but I guess if you can't buy tomatoes what are you gonna buy?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
It's a shame he's such a twat, because he was a talented performer once and had a good mind for wrestling history. He became popular with Internet wrestling fans in the 2000s because WWE and TNA were typically bad and he adopted a Grumpy Old Man gimmick to constantly rag on both promotions. It snowballed from there to the point where he just became Old Man Yells at Cloud even when better options for wrestling became available, in addition to showing himself to be a massive bigot.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm British and I say Marry-o, as in

Wellllllll,
It's the Marry-o Show

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

See, I don't ask posters what they want. I TELL them what they want. I TELL THEM WHAT THEY WANT AND THEY LIKE IT!!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I don't know what the LividLiquid thing was about but otherwise it seems like some time off might be good for you.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What did I miss, what did I miss!!

Edit: never mind, just saw the post, lol.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm not really a fan of calling people pieces of poo poo for liking what they like (even in this case, even though no one here actually watches WWE or contributes to it monetarily). It's probably just me being defensive because then I'd have to throw out all my Warren Zevon albums despite him being a wife-beater and an all-round unpleasant person to be around aside from that, but my preferred stance is to just step back and let people enjoy stuff if it's not hurting anyone, aside from their own souls, but souls don't exist so that's okay. People have enough on their plate without being called pieces of poo poo by random people on the Internet, and I say that from a place of mental illness that would've had me bullied off Something Awful twenty years ago.

EDIT: Warren Zevon albums ranked:

1. Warren Zevon (1976)
2. Stand in the Fire (1980)
3. Mr Bad Example (1991)
4. Life'll Kill Ya (2000)
5. Sentimental Hygiene (1987)
6. The Envoy (1982)
7. Excitable Boy (1978)
8. Learning to Flinch (1993)
9. My Ride's Here (2002)
10. The Wind (2003)
11. Transverse City (1989)
12. Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School (1980)
13. Mutineer (1995)
14. Wanted Dead or Alive (1970)

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 14, 2023

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
As a very casual fan, it's this sort of silliness that puts me off following current wrestling. I just don't have the strength for it, and I don't think I've ever followed wrestling to such a required degree anyway. I can absolutely believe that this board is better than the main alternatives - Reddit, Twitter, etc - but my personal position is that I just want to watch an athletic panto show with some occasional behind-the-scenes gossip. I think this is why I prefer to watch old shows.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I still don't know who Jase and Chris Regal are and would like a summary please. :)

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Cavauro posted:

just two sides of the same coin

What coin though Cav, is it a pound coin or a euro? Euros have loads of variations.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'll be honest, although I love this forum for allowing me to reminisce about old stuff and casually follow along with the current dishy, it has actively turned me off from watching more AEW. It just seems so exhausting and all this drama seems ludicrous to me. I don't know what my suggestion would be other than "chill out"?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
As a very casual fan, I've kind of felt more comfortable posting about AEW in the hell thread because, to be honest, it doesn't take things quite so seriously while still being a bit informative about what's going on.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm probably one of those people who have been posting more here since Vince re-entered the news cycle. I've tried to balance things out with some genuine observations and some stupid jokes, but if my posting sucks, let me know cos I don't have PMs! I don't want to make using the forums a chore for anyone.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I'll own that my post about how people who admit to watching WWE should be clowned on was unhelpful, shortsighted, and stupid. I've been really sick for the past few days and bouncing around and posting through it (badly). I don't like that it fostered a series of circular accusations of who is or isn't #standingupforwwe. Unpleasant stuff. It should just stop because otherwise you have people just not bothering to read who they're talking to and accusing each other of some heinous poo poo out of nowhere. I'm sorry you got caught in the crossfire for innocuous posts.

Don't beat yourself up about it, I think you've done a decent job at keeping things together at a time when it's been difficult to talk about pro wrestling. I appreciate your response here and I hope we can go forward while being a little less incendiary to one another. Most people here are good people.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
This is more of an informal survey than anything else. A bunch of people seemed to really dislike an old thread that made note of problematic content in old wrestling, but the "idiots on social media thread" effectively does the same thing with people who are much less relevant to anything, mostly because they're being paid to stir poo poo up in some capacity.

I actually kind of learned a few things from the old thread, particularly regarding slurs aimed at native Americans and Mexicans, given that I'm British. I don't meet many native Americans or Mexicans so it helps to know what well-known terms are actually offensive. I had a horrible feeling that because Excalibur was often featured from the mid 2000s, people disliked it due to the silly WWE vs AEW tribal bollocks, but then it also provided more than ample evidence of WWE and Vince McMahon's aptitude for putting crimes on screen by extension.

I don't really know what my point is, just something for folks to debate I guess. I think my posts are true ignored or whatever it is anyway. :(

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Cavauro posted:

i didn't care that it existed, but i admit to enjoying when people would make fun of the conceit of the thread inside the thread itself, because the historical recording was sometimes (not always) invalidated by asterisks making it difficult to know what was said. i stress that i understand this wasn't always the case.

I think the OP censored something innocuous like rear end in a top hat at some point and people came by to say OOOH THAT'S A NAUGHTY WORD! sarcastically, but the OP took it straight on and s*****d c*******g e********g.

quote:

and i hope by responding to the survey honestly this isn't seen as being a drat piece of poo poo rear end hole. i'm sorry if i am

It was a good survey response, no worries Cavvo me old mucker.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

History Comes Inside! posted:

The thread was always weird but harmless it just got silly as gently caress when OP started doing that as well as things like “wrestler said a word that rhymes with another word that you might hear used in the movie Hocus Pocus, when talking about the kind of person the trio of antagonists were”

Oh God, I forgot about this, lol.

I think cataloguing this poo poo for the sake of it is pointless but idk, I guess I found it more interesting than the social media thread which seemed somewhat adjacent when I made the post and was wondering where folks stood on it. I seemed to remember the reception to the old thread being weirdly hostile but my memories are like scrambled eggs. Cav made a good point in pointing out that hate isn't permitted in the social media thread too.

Thanks for the responses to my weird drunkpost, haha.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I quite like the hell thread. I think it gives people an opportunity to be a bit more even-handed with what they like and don't like about AEW while also allowing a bit of space to tell a few jokes and not take things so seriously. I don't think it should be the onus of the community to be nothing but positive about AEW, though I understand the desire to really want to like something that competes with WWE. I don't think I really understand the complaints about it otherwise.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Tbh, I kind of like EMF because they just kind of joke around and have fun from my perspective. I like not having to take wrestling too seriously except when necessary, ie Vince McMahon being a rapist and a sex trafficker, etc. Things like the Prime post seemed like an obvious joke to me but maybe I'm wrong, if I lose forum cred over it then whatevs.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Cavauro posted:

the quote wasn't misinterpreted. whatevs from the rooftops

Will do cavs, it's no biggie. I just find their posts funny more than anything else but maybe I'm missing something, idk.

Edit: I don't know who Zaslav is which probably makes a bit of a difference. I looked him up and he seems like a bit of a twat but I don't know the context anymore, probably should have just kept my mouth shut, lol.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Mar 9, 2024

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

you should always just post no matter how ill-informed you are. That’s my credo

Alcohol gives me that license, lol.

I guess I just read EMF's post like a "I love drinking, it got me off cigarettes!" type joke. I'm probably just a dumbass.

Edit: I also thought like the jacket thing was just a joke so whatevs. Maybe I have terrible forum literacy.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 9, 2024

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The only megathread I've read from start to finish is the WCW thread, which was loads of fun, but I don't think they're off-putting as a concept. If anything I think they're super convenient. Happy to have separate WWE threads though, one where you can make jokes and take the piss and one for more serious posting about Vince McMahon et al's multitude of crimes.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I can understand not wanting people to post tweets or at least wanting them to include a screenshot, since they often get deleted, making it difficult to know what people are talking about or taking issue with. There was an unofficial rule in the social media thread at some point that tweets from certain people who were liable to delete their stuff on a regular basis should probably be screenshotted before posting. Alternatively, it might be nice if more people posted a quick summary along with the link if it looked like it might be deleted - doesn't need to be more than a sentence, just something really brief.

I'm not a fan of the bad takes thread because I think it gets people unnecessarily wound up and reduces conversation, because if someone doesn't agree with you on something then you must be just like "the idiot stans on Twitter" or whatever. I realise I'm fighting a losing battle on that one though, most people seem to enjoy it. I just think it would be better if people treated certain tweets like they would any other troll, which is basically what a lot of them are.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

to trick is to get on the AEW is bad grift train make podcasts make youtuber videos tweet at tony kahn that he's a cokehead

Hmm, it's true that Frank Reynolds said it's better to be a duper than a dupee.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What's the new posting dynamic to which cav refers?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I appreciate Erin trying to take a stance on the "rape lover" sort of language. I wouldn't call myself a WWE fan, and I'm aware of what Vince McMahon did, but I find that stuff a bit weird and unsettling and I don't think anything good comes out of it on the forum.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Namtab posted:

I don’t think accusing the many millions who watch wwe of supporting rape culture is going to catch on, I think several of those people, possibly the vast majority, just like watching the show

Yeah, I don't even watch it but I think it's just kind of a gross unnecessary thing to drop into casual discussion. I'm going to be a bit selfish for a mo: if you have some fond memories of WWE programming - which I do! - it can be unpleasant to deal with accusations like that, even if they're meant to be somewhat in jest. I posted about a WWE segment I have fond memories of the other day (the one where The Rock made fun of Toronto, I'm grinning just thinking about it) but that shouldn't make me a retroactive supporter of sex crimes, mostly because I was 12 years old when that segment aired and I wasn't being particularly critical about the light entertainment I watched.

It's a rotten company and it's good to make that apparent as much as possible, but I don't think being flippant towards other (non obvious troll) posters is going to get us anywhere. If anything I think it turns people off from participating in the debate and learning about the things these terrible people did, as well as how we can avoid it in the future and possibly get some sort of justice for the actual victims at some point.

Sort of related, there was (and probably still is) a tendency to say things like "you're British, therefore you're a transphobe" in certain places online. I was a lot more passionate about that because it was based on where I happened to be born rather than what wrestling I might have watched as a preteen, but I admit there was sometimes a horrible feeling of "I've had enough of this, I don't care about this important issue anymore". Thankfully I stuck with it and I'm more informed about trans issues as a result, I didn't give in to cynicism or the bigotry that's obviously so rampant towards trans people. It's not as bad as that, but it's still not fun to be sort of implicated with some of the gross language and crimes we've seen lately in this subforum.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm almost certain there's one in GBS too?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

fez_machine posted:

yeah, nearly every wrestling thread in another sub-forum will be more nostalgia orientated and more friendly to WWE posting than in PSP.

also the entire rest of the wrestling internet

so a lot of choices if you don't like the vibes here

This is definitely true, but I thought it might be helpful to give my feedback anyway, especially since I have no desire to watch WWE as it is!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I don't fish, I just don't like weird language. :( And WWE is even worse!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

That DICK! posted:

rape factory isa stupid term that makes you look lame. everyone who is cool and posts good immediately knew this. you just quote the person who said its post and go duhhh ok. we didnt need to have a freakin board meeting on it.

I just felt it was somewhat common and I thought it was a bit weird. I just want to give some feedback to everyone! Sorry for being so lame about it though,

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Is there a PSP Discord (or an equivalent, idk what there is)? I'm not a big user but I thought it might make a bit familiar with folks if so.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm glad I was too young for those Mario edutainment games because I grew up with the Windows 95 Carmen Sandiego games and those were great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I don't read the Cornette thread but I think their stuff is pretty harmless elsewhere - sometimes funny even! I think folks sometimes get a bit too worked up about obvious jokes or bait, usually when it concerns AEW, but yeah, if the gimmick is going into "maybe the bigot isn't that bad??" territory it's probably best to draw a line.