Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

One of the greatest movie scenes ever. When I watch this scene I think about all of the soulless CGI poo poo they use in almost every movie nowadays (especially every single comic book movie, they are pretty much all trash) and I am completely floored that they were able to film it without anyone being killed. 100% live action. The entire scene took FIVE WEEKS to film, mainly due to the heat in Rome. It took forty-two cameras to film it, a staggering number in 1959. The only movie from the last two decades that even comes close to this kind of excellence is Mad Max: Fury Road. The movie was remade in 2016 but was predictably terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6TUgccyzNs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3QM0b3MqqQ

quote:

The chariot race required 15,000 extras on a set constructed on 18 acres of backlot at Cinecitta Studios outside Rome. Tour buses visited the set every hour. Eighteen chariots were built, with half being used for practice. The race took five weeks to film.

quote:

The chariot race has a 263-to-1 cutting ratio (263 feet of film for every one foot used), probably the highest for any 65mm sequence ever filmed.

quote:

The chariot race segment was co-directed by legendary stuntman Yakima Canutt (with veteran second-unit director Andrew Marton). Joe Canutt (Yak's son) doubled for Charlton Heston. During one of the crashes, in which Judah Ben-Hur's horses jump over a wrecked chariot, the younger Canutt was thrown from his chariot onto its tongue because he failed to heed Yak's instructions as to how to grip the railing as the chariot hit the top of the hidden ramp leading up to the debris. He managed to climb back into his chariot and bring it back under control. The sequence looked so good that it was included in the film, with a close-up of Heston climbing back into the chariot. Canutt got a slight cut on his chin, but it was the only injury in the incredibly dangerous sequence. Stuntman Nosher Powell, who worked on the film, states in his biography that Yak went pale as a ghost when the chariot crashed. The crash was not planned, and everybody, including Yak, believed that Joe had died.

quote:

During the 18-day auction of MGM props, costumes and memorabilia that took place in May 1970 when new studio owner Kirk Kerkorian was liquidating the studio's assets, a Sacramento restaurateur paid $4,000 for a chariot used in the film. Three years later, during the energy crisis, he was arrested for driving the chariot on the highway.

https://ascmag.com/articles/ben-hur-chariot-race-1925

https://www.pololine.com/articles/the-horses-of-ben-hur-and-the-most-epic-scene-in-movie-history/

haljordan fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

if you think mad max fury road is terrible you're a fool and a jackass

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Doctor Dogballs posted:

if you think mad max fury road is terrible you're a fool and a jackass

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that. I meant that Fury Road is loving incredible because it used practical effects almost exclusively.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
That Chariot Race was incredible. The movie is great too.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Gatts posted:

That Chariot Race was incredible. The movie is great too.

I can only imagine how many safety laws would be violated if you tried to film something like that today lol

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

haljordan posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that. I meant that Fury Road is loving incredible because it used practical effects almost exclusively.

oh I also misread your post I guess lol whoops. anyway

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Doctor Dogballs posted:

oh I also misread your post I guess lol whoops. anyway

No worries, Fury Road really is awesome

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

This really seemed like the most insanely dangerous thing to film ever and nobody died. You can't even film a simple scene nowadays without Alec Baldwin murdering someone nowadays.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

This really seemed like the most insanely dangerous thing to film ever and nobody died. You can't even film a simple scene nowadays without Alec Baldwin murdering someone nowadays.

The thing I notice most is that the actors are actually dirty and sweaty. In so many films nowadays, there is dust and dirt and poo poo flying around and yet somehow none of it winds up on the actors.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Just because it's practical effects doesn't mean it's not soulless Op

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Mooey Cow posted:

Just because it's practical effects doesn't mean it's not soulless Op

yeah my bad, Ben-Hur is definitely way less embarrassing than Iron Man 2

i mean even Terminator 2 was mostly practical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRK5jPCDNYI

haljordan fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 28, 2022

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Been Had Hur

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Benjamin Hur

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Jan Hus, another absolute beast with wagons

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I don't think Hus ever actually used his wagons though zizka def did

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
ben-hurtz, donut?

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
The silent movie's race is pretty bad rear end too, so much so the opening scenes are shot-for-shot retakes in the 50's one

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Yeah movies were way better when you could maim and murder people for real in them, gently caress CGI!?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Colonel Cancer posted:

Yeah movies were way better when you could maim and murder people for real in them, gently caress CGI!?

SUPER HOT TAKE BRO

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Colonel Cancer posted:

the forums were way better when you couldn't post

haljordan fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 28, 2022

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
An age when Hollywood occasionally made films instead of content.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Cool OP, but what that chariot scene really needed was Spiderman doing backflips from chariot to chariot while cracking jokes about John Jonah Jamison who is dressed like Caesar to a band of purple goo aliens playing the hell out of vuvuzelas instead of those boring roman trumpets.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I miss actual swordfighting and fist fights instead of cgi and cool stuff with cgi over it.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I somehow got this movie mixed up with Gladiator because in that movie, you can see a compressed air tank on one of the chariots.

Ben-Hur’s race is just perfect.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
The movie lied to me! I thought it happened for real and they were just there to film it!!!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

satanic splash-back posted:

I miss actual swordfighting and fist fights instead of cgi and cool stuff with cgi over it.

Oh hell yeah this is the dopest sword fight on film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB8tiSMCwRE

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I can hear the music in my head. Oh, and also on my computer speakers. Thanks internet.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

You Are A Elf posted:

Yeah this is incredible, love it. Miss when movies had tension and payoff in a fight

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i miss when action scenes sent 4 guys to the hospital and still looked like poo poo

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What kinda dumb idiot names their kid Hur.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

You Are A Elf posted:

I somehow got this movie mixed up with Gladiator because in that movie, you can see a compressed air tank on one of the chariots.

the romans invented a compressed air tank, they just didn't know what to do with it

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i sure am in a ben hurry to finish this race

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Colonel Cancer posted:

I like the way you do it right Hur

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021

You Are A Elf posted:

Basil Rathbone was an master fencer and always played the villain, he was so good he made the other guy look better. See also Robin Hood as another fantastic sword fight.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

This also deserves its own thread because goddamn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBQOfyR75vY

haljordan fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 29, 2022

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I heard one of the horses ate a man. That’s fine though

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
gently caress Ben-Hur!

Real motherfuckers know it’s all about the oysters and snails scene in Spartacus.

https://youtu.be/2yzY-HUvavU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

gently caress Ben-Hur!

Real motherfuckers know it’s all about the oysters and snails scene in Spartacus.

https://youtu.be/2yzY-HUvavU

Spartacus is also an incredible movie, I cannot deny this.

Also, fun fact:

quote:

Kirk Douglas was offered the role of Messala but turned it down, because he didn't want to play a "second-rate baddie". Douglas wanted to play Judah Ben-Hur, whose Jewishness appealed to him, but he was too old and Charlton Heston had already been cast. The experience motivated Douglas to develop his own epic, Spartacus (1960), which was partially designed to compete against Ben-Hur (1959).

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

loving idiots why don't they just use a car. Horses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

Presumably Ben-Hur’s grandpa.

Hur named his kid Judah.