Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Obenseuer rules and while I had originally thought it was going to have a new major content patch by now, it’s at least a solid half of a game on its own. I wish I was at my desktop so I could take some pictures of my downright comfy slum apartment. It’s a neat game in a neat world (also occupied by the fantastic puzzle/exploration game INFRA) and worth a look if the idea of renovating an apartment block and decorating your own space appeals to you.

That said, it is very explicitly a walled ghetto for the city’s undesirables. While nothing in it is an absolutel gut punch emotionally, it certainly isn’t Stardew in terms of upbeat comfiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Maybe something where you move into a run-down district with a community centre one bad breakdancing competition away from being shut down and bought up by the faceless development corporation hanging over everything, and then you fix up the union hall, help out the local tenant's union, help the worker-owned cafe to thrive....

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Talorat posted:

Actually genuinely I think you’re on to something here. There’s lots to love about cities, why isn’t there a cozy city life sim. Why must everything be rural!

I could actually see a cool life sim concept based around a single city block or apartment building. I do think you need a strong gameplay hook to replace the farming though. Maybe go the racettar route and have your character run a store?

You wouldn't necessarily have to completely remove the farming. Your character could have a rooftop garden, with the option to install a greenhouse, chicken coop, etc. Cows would be right out, of course, but rabbits/chickens/pigeons, etc. could work.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Silver Falcon posted:

Cows would be right out, of course,

incorrect

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'd love a Stardew style game but set, not on an alien planet, but on this one in a post-climate-trouble future where you're like, restoring the planet by farming. like Terra Nil but with a character and story and a smaller focus. Some hopeful little thing. I think 'No Place Like Home' is a bit like that but I want a 2D pixel thing like that. Should probably just learn to make a game at this point.

I also have this notion for a life sim where you're a knight in a not-very-realistic Middle Ages like A Knight's Tale and you have to manage your retinue and armour and horses and stuff, and do tournaments and maybe have a household to maintain. One day!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

HopperUK posted:

I'd love a Stardew style game but set, not on an alien planet, but on this one in a post-climate-trouble future where you're like, restoring the planet by farming. like Terra Nil but with a character and story and a smaller focus. Some hopeful little thing. I think 'No Place Like Home' is a bit like that but I want a 2D pixel thing like that. Should probably just learn to make a game at this point.

Best I can offer you is Wildmender.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

HopperUK posted:

I'd love a Stardew style game but set, not on an alien planet, but on this one in a post-climate-trouble future where you're like, restoring the planet by farming. like Terra Nil but with a character and story and a smaller focus. Some hopeful little thing.

I mean...our lord and savior Sandrock is that, with the main plot heavily revolving around restoring a wasteland, but I suppose the farming aspect is not big enough focus for what you're looking for.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

For some reason I just don't click with Sandrock. I feel like it's one of those games where one day I'll start a game and it'll bite me, but it hasn't happened yet.

I have Wildmender! Will try that one soon, thanks for the tip.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
There's also
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1658040/I_Am_Future_Cozy_Apocalypse_Survival/

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Tried it but the controls were a bit clunky and it did not grab me. Thanks though I had forgotten about that one!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I've been slowly grinding through wildmender, sadly it's plagued by some terrible UI/control choices and just very grindy overall. It probably has one of the worst building systems I've seen where every time you want to lay down a wall foundation or path you have to wait several seconds for the thing to be built before moving on. Also the interact/pick up items from the ground key are the same so you'll constantly interact with plants while trying to pick up seed etc. Shaping and re-greening the landscape is still satisfying though.

At night it also makes my gpu go to 100% because of all the transparency effects on dead trees etc that apparently are super costly to render.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Wildmender is in that weird category of disappointing to me because I actually like it a lot - but it’s just not *quite* there. I want a little bit more robust of a build and terraforming system so I can really lean into it, and the rest of the game just always feels like it needs just a tiny bit more meat. It’s a crusher.

I haven’t seen if they’ve done any major work to it since launch when I played it, though. Maybe worth a second look though.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Wildmender has an interesting player comment on the Steam page that the final boss is spawned in the middle of your garden, and in this person's case much of their hard customization work was destroyed along with their storage.

librarerun
Feb 13, 2024

HopperUK posted:

One Lonely Outpost has been such a disappointment for me because the pitch is right up my alley, but the game itself is basically a glorified demo right now. This next patch will add a few more things, but it's still a long way from what I'd call 1.0.

In that same vein, another game I always wanted was an iteration of this ancient Lego Java game called Stormrunner: you crashed on this alien world, but instead of going out yourself, you build robots and program them to explore and collect poo poo for you. Granted, I was lazy and always used simple programs that were basically direct control rather than actual autonomous programs, but still! It was a super cool idea, and I've never found a game since that quite did what it did. Factorio is the closest, I suppose, but that's still quite different in gameplay, even if the vibes were spot on.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

librarerun posted:

In that same vein, another game I always wanted was an iteration of this ancient Lego Java game called Stormrunner: you crashed on this alien world, but instead of going out yourself, you build robots and program them to explore and collect poo poo for you. Granted, I was lazy and always used simple programs that were basically direct control rather than actual autonomous programs, but still! It was a super cool idea, and I've never found a game since that quite did what it did. Factorio is the closest, I suppose, but that's still quite different in gameplay, even if the vibes were spot on.

Duskers, sort of

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Wildmender is just about the most fun game I've ever played.

Issues mentioned above are definitely valid, and I don't want to give the impression that I think it's flawless or anything, but there's so much good about it that it's totally outweighed in my experience.

It's just the feeling of the harsh lonely wasteland being slowly reclaimed bit by bit as you make a fantastic ecologically complex refuge is so good.

It doesn't really matter if the building system is a bit awkward, or you can't perfectly terraform the land- as long as you have water and the right plants the world will begin to flourish bit by bit. Even if you sloppily mash things together- that's okay. You're not making an industrial farm, you're helping nature along.

There's a wonderful feeling you get when you realize you're not hacking some square plot out of nature to make money or anything like that- different plants need each other to do well, and different plants do better in different environments. You need to create a balanced natural environment to survive. The gameplay really drives home the themes of achieving a balance with nature, not just as some abstract cozy ideal, but because you will die if you don't. I don't want to spoil the story too much- it's minimal and unsubtle and good and is very much drives home this idea. The wasteland you're reclaiming isn't a natural one, but the product of human disruption. The cozy feeling of balance is a vital survival tool, and that message is effectively extrapolated in a way that is relevant to the way we think about environmental issues in the real world.

I cannot recommend it enough. I've taken to lurking in all the management/survival/farming megathreads around here specifically because I don't want to miss such a life-changingly cozy game like that. I only gave it a try because of a casual mention in the management game megathread. It clearly hasn't affected other people the way it's affected me, because I don't see much hype for it here or elsewhere, so I always want to keep an eye out for any similarly nice games that get casually mentioned and quickly forgotten.

And just to help sell people on it- not everything about it is janky. The way you move around the world is incredibly satisfying. The combat is not particularly in depth or complicated, but to me at least it felt really good to jump and slide and fly around while fighting.

It may be difficult to create perfect structures and deliberately intricate gardens, but just slapping stuff down and enjoying the wild vivacious mess you've made feels great. It's an incredibly beautiful game, if you're into that art style.

Dick Trauma posted:

Wildmender has an interesting player comment on the Steam page that the final boss is spawned in the middle of your garden, and in this person's case much of their hard customization work was destroyed along with their storage.
The game telegraphs that so hard and there's a ton of things you can do to prepare for it. And it's also really easy to kite it away from your sensitive stuff.

It sounds like that person had a bad experience, but it's totally thematically in keeping with the story, and a great ludo-narrative synergy, considering what you learn about the boss before it happens. Basically everything you've been building and growing has been undoing the bullshit that guy inflicted on the world, and having him do that on a small scale to the stuff you painstakingly rebuilt is a very effective way to make his role in the story viscerally upsetting, and his defeat all the more urgent and satisfying. But I can also see how it just feels like poo poo to have your sandcastle knocked down. If anyone's worried about that, I'd consider saving the final boss until you're ready for that.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 17, 2024

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

It's the final boss. Does it matter if your farm gets knocked over fighting it? Isn't the game over at that point?

I'm a hoarder in most games and it's always a relief to get the last level or last boss and finally get to start spending everything I've been saving the whole game for.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in dq builders 1 you still fight the bosses at your base, but unlike in 2 it isn't repaired afterward. you don't actually need that base after the boss, but it's still mean.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Eiba posted:

Wildmender is just about the most fun game I've ever played.
well that's certainly a powerful endorsement

I've spent a couple dozen hours with Planet Crafter recently, which otherwise sated my hunger for "barren place comes to life".

but maybe there's room for more. couldn't be much jankier than Planet Crafter

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Wildmender boss chat convinced me to check it out

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

LLSix posted:

It's the final boss. Does it matter if your farm gets knocked over fighting it? Isn't the game over at that point?

I'm a hoarder in most games and it's always a relief to get the last level or last boss and finally get to start spending everything I've been saving the whole game for.
Yes. There's not much you need your base for at that point. But the game does let you keep going and gardening for the joy of gardening, and pursue some bonus objectives, and I can see why someone would be upset that their meticulously crafted garden got wrecked, especially when it is fiddly to make things just right.

I'll add that one of the things I liked about Wildmender is it does have a very achievable end point. Most farming/survival/management games just kind of run out of content or novelty eventually. That's fine with me, that's how life goes. But Wildmender is a complete little package with a satisfying ending point.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

One thing in Wildmender that people can love or hate is that the products of your garden are all biological materials and have a shelf-life. It’s not just a matter of farming up a hundred [X]s and stopping, you need to arrange an ongoing supply of [X] so they’ll be fresh and available when you need them.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I will simply collect enough bear asses to craft a freezer!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

librarerun posted:

One Lonely Outpost has been such a disappointment for me because the pitch is right up my alley, but the game itself is basically a glorified demo right now. This next patch will add a few more things, but it's still a long way from what I'd call 1.0.

Craftomation 101 maybe?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

librarerun posted:

In that same vein, another game I always wanted was an iteration of this ancient Lego Java game called Stormrunner: you crashed on this alien world, but instead of going out yourself, you build robots and program them to explore and collect poo poo for you.

Have you played The Colonists? You might like it.

librarerun
Feb 13, 2024

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Have you played The Colonists? You might like it.

Eh, not really into city builders. Craftomation might work, tho.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

I will simply collect enough bear asses to craft a freezer!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is that Saad-Amus?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

HopperUK posted:

I also have this notion for a life sim where you're a knight in a not-very-realistic Middle Ages like A Knight's Tale and you have to manage your retinue and armour and horses and stuff, and do tournaments and maybe have a household to maintain. One day!

Thought of another that's kind of like Wildmender
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1380420/Grow_Song_of_the_Evertree/

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Wildmender is in that weird category of disappointing to me because I actually like it a lot - but it’s just not *quite* there. I want a little bit more robust of a build and terraforming system so I can really lean into it, and the rest of the game just always feels like it needs just a tiny bit more meat. It’s a crusher.

I haven’t seen if they’ve done any major work to it since launch when I played it, though. Maybe worth a second look though.

I had the same experience. It's very cool in a lot of ways but doesn't reach the promise set up in the beginning. It's so close to being amazing.

It has also the worst performance of any game I've played on PS5. Single digit framerate at times. Doesn't surprise me it was killing people's GPUs.

I've been meaning to try Grow too.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Ooo yeah I'll check this out, thank you!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Rude.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I kept getting bits of wood from there. So maybe its not rude and I am actually helping clean it up, you ever thought about that 😌

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's a quest from Linus on the mayor's board that involves fishing up twenty pieces of trash, using the fountain shortens to quest significantly and sort of makes sense.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/down-on-farm

Another Humble Bundle with a whole bunch of games that were already on my wishlist:

Pay $8 for Littlewood, No Place Like Home

Pay $15 for that, plus: Cattails: Wildwood Story, Everdream Valley, Ikonei Island, Immortal Life

Pay $20 for previous tiers, plus: Cornucopia and The Witch of Fern Island

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://twitter.com/myPotatoGames/status/1781446802396594671

(This is a good Twitter account for more lifesims)

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

yep

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Hey thread, got told to ask this here too so here it goes:

Azran posted:

My partner's looking for something akin to Tsuki's Odyssey on Steam. He doesn't like Stardew Valley's aesthetic or combat side of things (she really enjoyed Portia because it didn't have a pixel aesthetic fwiw). Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Well I'd typically suggest Sandrock and Dragon Quest Builders 2 to anyone who wants a good lifesim.

Looking at the game she references specifically, I've never heard of it before but it sounds a little like https://store.steampowered.com/app/893850/THE_LONGING/

There's also a cheap lifesim bundle on Humble right now, have her gander at the games therein, maybe one or two catch her eye.