Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Dirk the Average posted:

My only complaint with DQ Builders 2 is the unskippable cutscenes that are unbearably slow at times. Otherwise a fantastic little game, and it's very satisfying to build a little village and see NPCs actually use the buildings!

Graveyard Keeper is interesting in that it's a game with a lot of stuff to do, but much of the infrastructure only needs to be invested in once. Getting the automation up and running is a lot of fun though.

Forager is... odd? It's not a bad game, but it is the very definition of numbers go up, and it feels kind of weird how it goes about that.

Totally agreed on DQ Builders 2. I keep wanting to do another replay, but I'm holding off for now.

I think it was in this thread, but someone said that Graveyard Keeper basically expects you to know what to do or that you're following a guide. Also, if you go for the deluxe version, the DLC is badly implemented (at least on Switch, don't know about other platforms) where it's available from almost the start even though you're nowhere near ready for it.

And yeah, Forager is very much numbers go up. It was satisfying for awhile.

If you like Disney or don't mind it, I bought Disney Dreamlight Valley last week and found that it also scratches the itch very nicely as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Brut posted:

Oh, yeah, definitely not what I'm looking for then.

I remember bouncing off Portia super early (like an hour or two in) but can't quite remember why, I should give it another shot. Forager was fantastic. Dragon Quest Builders 2 is like level-based right? Or is that the first one? The rest of those sound interesting but it's all in early access so I'd rather wait.

It's the first DQ Builders that's level-based. DQ Builders 2 is a huge improvement on the first one, including not being level-based.

Everdream Valley drops today for the Switch and is on sale for $15. Any good or should I wait for some other farm sim instead?

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

DQB2 is like, it's something inbetween? Because you go to areas like in DQB1, but you also always return to a hub world where you can build as well, and that is kept and maintained. compared to DQB1 where you were just whisked away to a new place and could never go back, like the anime Unico

there should still be a demo of builders 2 available unless they took it down

Looks like the demo is still up. It takes you all the way through the first chapter of the game until the boss battle, which is when it cuts off.

I caved and got Everdream Valley on Switch. Spent about ninety minutes with it so far. It's fine? You're a kid who goes to stay with their grandparents at their farm, which has fallen into disrepair after their stay at a health spa. To explain their absence, your parents have to work, so your mom drops you off and then motors off.

I didn't find the character designs to be off-putting (this is a major reason why I bounced off My Time in Portia).

The game doesn't do a great job of explaining some things.

The Switch version has mandatory motion controls for farm chores (sawing logs, milking cows, etc.) and cooking. What is this, a first-generation Wii game? The motion controls are terrible as I can't get them to work reliably beyond sawing logs. Can't milk the cow or cook at all. Really hoping the devs patch it so you can press buttons/move the analog sticks instead. I have no idea how it's supposed to work if you prefer to play with a Pro controller because the in-game tutorials show detached JoyCons for the motion controls.

Early on, you get to choose a dog companion, who helps you find animals and the like. The game says they're different breeds but they have one of two dog faces so there's not much variety beyond the coat color(s).

You have to be careful with what you're holding, because if you're holding an axe, you could destroy a broken fence instead of fixing it.

The valley isn't very populated. It's you, your grandparents and the merchant, which is nice if you just want to focus on farming and not have to worry about interpersonal relationships. (You can level up your relationship with your dog and a stray cat.)

If Grandpa doesn't have something new to tell you when you talk to him, he'll tell you a dad joke instead. :3:

The description on the eShop warns of in-app purchases, but I haven't seen anything about them in the game.

It's on sale for $15 now (marked down from $25) and I gotta say, so far, it's not worth it. Those motion controls are frustrating garbage. Wait for a lower price or at least for the devs to patch that poo poo.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

someone awful. posted:

anyone tried/have any thoughts about fae farm?

I've been playing Fae Farm on the Switch since launch (just started my first winter) and it's got a lot of issues. Glitches and crashes to start with. Most notably the automatic tool/weapon switching in dungeons will swap your weapon out for a tool if you're fighting near a rock or ore.

The game only pauses if you press "+" on the Switch. Pulling up your backpack, going through your inventory to craft, etc. will NOT stop time. Even if you do pause time, area effects that harm your character unless you're protected by a potion WILL continue to harm you until you get wiped out.

The game doesn't explain (or is unclear) when it comes to some important things. After juggling my inventory in my backpack and storage shed for awhile and getting frustrated, I found out online that your storage sheds have infinite storage, you just keep moving stuff to one of them from your backpack. (You end up with four farms by the end of the game.)

I was also stuck in-game trying to grow a specific crop (for a story quest) and the game was not helpful in telling me what I needed to do.

I've also had quest completion notifications pop up hours after I've actually finished the quest.

NPCs all sound the same with the same repetitive dialogue. You can expect to hear the same thing from multiple characters in the same in-game day. I don't care about any of them thanks to this, so I haven't bothered to interact with them much beyond unlocking tools/areas.

You have to talk to NPCs multiple times to redeem a quest when you redeem a friendship quest/requested item quest for them. They also sound like you just gave them what they wanted when you agree to their request. You only have one in-game day to finish these quests.

There's a themed festival at the end of each month but aside from the mayor's request for the spring one, they don't matter and you can ignore them entirely.

Doesn't seem to matter if you actually care for your animals, they will give you cotton or eggs or whatever regardless. It also takes a long time in-game every day to care for them. You can breed them to get new ones with higher possible happiness levels which should mean they give you more goods, but this doesn't seem to always be the case.

Placing items is a pain because you have a strict limited radius around your character where you can place things.

There's a strict midnight bedtime, which will send you back to bed wherever you are. At least you don't lose anything in your inventory or any money.

Furniture placement in your home affecting your stats is a nice touch, with the caveats that only one piece of each item of furniture in each house will affect your stats. It's relatively easy to find the mats to make things that will increase your health and stamina, but mana-increasing items seem to be more late-game.

Hope you enjoy pausing and going through the almanac in-game to clear out "!" when you find a new furniture recipe, resource, critter, etc. Because it happens a LOT, especially at the start.

Multi-player is locked until you complete chapter one.

On the Switch, it seems you're locked to your Switch nickname as your character name. Maybe if you sign up for a Phoenix Labs account this is not the case? idk, I don't care enough to sign up for an account just for this because I'm not interested in multi-player.

It doesn't seem like you ever get a way to automate farming or taking care of animals beyond upgrading your watering can or an automatic feeding trough.

The automatic tool switching is nice, as is the option for "they/them" pronouns during character creation. The game generally looks nice and it's fun as hell to be able to freely jump around in one of these games.

Fishing is fine? I went with the easier option in the accessibility menu because I didn't want to bother learning another fishing minigame.

Best and easiest way to make money is to mine gems, polish them up and sell them. Makes everything else trivial in terms of earning money, so I haven't bothered much with other ways to make money.

Sorry for all the :words: but I'm frustrated after paying full price for this and wanted to warn other people. I would've been fine paying $20, but $60 was ridiculous.

tl;dr: It basically feels like the devs looked at other popular and successful games and just copied them without understanding what made them so enjoyable, leading to a pretty but soulless experience.

SilentChaz fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Sep 15, 2023

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Paleo Pines is out today if you've been wanting more dinosaurs in your farm sim.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1202200/Paleo_Pines/

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

How is fae farm? It seems like it might be cool but it’s kinda on the pricy end of things.

Quoting myself from earlier in the thread:

SilentChaz posted:

I've been playing Fae Farm on the Switch since launch (just started my first winter) and it's got a lot of issues. Glitches and crashes to start with. Most notably the automatic tool/weapon switching in dungeons will swap your weapon out for a tool if you're fighting near a rock or ore.

The game only pauses if you press "+" on the Switch. Pulling up your backpack, going through your inventory to craft, etc. will NOT stop time. Even if you do pause time, area effects that harm your character unless you're protected by a potion WILL continue to harm you until you get wiped out.

The game doesn't explain (or is unclear) when it comes to some important things. After juggling my inventory in my backpack and storage shed for awhile and getting frustrated, I found out online that your storage sheds have infinite storage, you just keep moving stuff to one of them from your backpack. (You end up with four farms by the end of the game.)

I was also stuck in-game trying to grow a specific crop (for a story quest) and the game was not helpful in telling me what I needed to do.

I've also had quest completion notifications pop up hours after I've actually finished the quest.

NPCs all sound the same with the same repetitive dialogue. You can expect to hear the same thing from multiple characters in the same in-game day. I don't care about any of them thanks to this, so I haven't bothered to interact with them much beyond unlocking tools/areas.

You have to talk to NPCs multiple times to redeem a quest when you redeem a friendship quest/requested item quest for them. They also sound like you just gave them what they wanted when you agree to their request. You only have one in-game day to finish these quests.

There's a themed festival at the end of each month but aside from the mayor's request for the spring one, they don't matter and you can ignore them entirely.

Doesn't seem to matter if you actually care for your animals, they will give you cotton or eggs or whatever regardless. It also takes a long time in-game every day to care for them. You can breed them to get new ones with higher possible happiness levels which should mean they give you more goods, but this doesn't seem to always be the case.

Placing items is a pain because you have a strict limited radius around your character where you can place things.

There's a strict midnight bedtime, which will send you back to bed wherever you are. At least you don't lose anything in your inventory or any money.

Furniture placement in your home affecting your stats is a nice touch, with the caveats that only one piece of each item of furniture in each house will affect your stats. It's relatively easy to find the mats to make things that will increase your health and stamina, but mana-increasing items seem to be more late-game.

Hope you enjoy pausing and going through the almanac in-game to clear out "!" when you find a new furniture recipe, resource, critter, etc. Because it happens a LOT, especially at the start.

Multi-player is locked until you complete chapter one.

On the Switch, it seems you're locked to your Switch nickname as your character name. Maybe if you sign up for a Phoenix Labs account this is not the case? idk, I don't care enough to sign up for an account just for this because I'm not interested in multi-player.

It doesn't seem like you ever get a way to automate farming or taking care of animals beyond upgrading your watering can or an automatic feeding trough.

The automatic tool switching is nice, as is the option for "they/them" pronouns during character creation. The game generally looks nice and it's fun as hell to be able to freely jump around in one of these games.

Fishing is fine? I went with the easier option in the accessibility menu because I didn't want to bother learning another fishing minigame.

Best and easiest way to make money is to mine gems, polish them up and sell them. Makes everything else trivial in terms of earning money, so I haven't bothered much with other ways to make money.

Sorry for all the :words: but I'm frustrated after paying full price for this and wanted to warn other people. I would've been fine paying $20, but $60 was ridiculous.

tl;dr: It basically feels like the devs looked at other popular and successful games and just copied them without understanding what made them so enjoyable, leading to a pretty but soulless experience. Would not pay full price for this. Wait for a price drop and/or sales.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Thanks I remember reading that and it’s kinda a shame. I think if it were 20 I wouldn’t have even asked.

Yep, if it were 20, I wouldn't have minded either. But to charge full price for what you get continues to annoy me.

The fourth dungeon adds the "gimmick" of unlocking the gate to the next level by finding a flame and bringing it to the gate with a time limit every time you go through, unless you take the time to grind out the mats to craft seals to permanently unlock each floor and teleport to it when you return. Making the seals is something you eventually do for each dungeon, but it just feels like again? for the fourth time. That's about when I gave up on it.

The only reason I haven't deleted it from my Switch is that firing it up counts as playing an online game for the weekly "Play a game that supports Nintendo Switch Online" and it takes less time to get it open than Animal Crossing. :v:

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

If anyone's still playing, Fae Farm got an update that finally pauses the in-game clock in single player when using the storage shed or mailbox as well as stuff with NPCs and relationships and farm animals.[/url]

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Cult of the Lamb is the current game trial on Nintendo Switch Online if you've been wanting to give it a try. (Doesn't unlock until later today, but you can preload now.)

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

If anyone's interested and has Nintendo Switch Online, the current game trial is for Fae Farm.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

Graveyard keeper is the worst kind of trash grinder game where you grind for the sake of grinding without it ever having a payoff. All you do is unlock more grinding and it even sometimes takes your poo poo away without warning you beforehand.
Stay far away imo.

DQ Builders 2 is a fantastic game though.

I also got the feeling Graveyard Keeper expects you to know what to do and when to do it even if it's your first playthrough. If not, gently caress you, enjoy waiting through multiple in-game days until it's time to try again or check a guide. Not a whole lot by way of social/romantic things to do, so there's that. And if like me, you go for the deluxe with all the DLC included, the DLC is available to try and do from the start, even if that makes no sense.

And :hellyeah: DQ Builders 2 loving rules.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

DQB2 kind of nudges you along to finish the plot and the basic tablet requirements for an area on your island before you get total freedom to build whatever you want on your island, but iirc there's anything from stopping you from doing that in-between chapters if you don't mind not having access to everything just yet.

gently caress Skelkatraz and Moonbrooke forever.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Echoing what others have said in this thread, Pacha can get very grindy. The characters are very flat and difficult to tell apart, so I didn't really bother with the romance aspect. The game's version of sprinklers, irrigation, can be difficult to figure out and takes up valuable field space if you're into farming. I never bothered really interacting with decorating my home aside from making it larger. (You can get a mammoth as a pet.)

I liked "leveling up" crops by growing a lot of them, which increases your knowledge of them. It's nice to decide when you want animals to breed rather than having them spontaneously give birth. And the idea of contributing resources does help to make you feel like a part of the community rather than just focusing on making money for yourself. Though it becomes kind of pointless once you've unlocked everything.

Overall, it was pleasant enough as a Stardew-like to play while I listened to podcasts, but I absolutely would not pay full price for it.

I should get back to Disney Dreamlight Valley after burning out on it, especially since the most recent update added Monsters Inc. characters. I also keep meaning to start Portia, since I picked it up on sale at some point. Gotta do something to pass the time until the 1.6 update for Stardew Valley comes to consoles. :sigh:

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Frog farming coming to PC and Switch later this year.

quote:

Your journey to becoming an amphibian adept starts as any good farming sim does — needing a break. Playing as Cleo who reconnects with her childhood friend Axel, the pair decide to work together on a restoration project which involves creating a home for frogs. This involves making beds, sofas (yes, really), baths and all sorts of cosy little pieces.

You can grow wetland crops and create ponds to invite up to 500 croakers to your little sanctuary, but it's not just about raising them, either. You have a little 'Frogdex' where you can document multiple different species of frog. And you'll need to make friends, solve quests, and visit three different biomes to help out the frogs of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

SexyBlindfold posted:

I enjoyed Wylde Flowers quite a bit but yeah the romance roster is pretty lackluster.

It's been a bit since I played, but does that list include the doctor who constantly tells you about her patients the moment you get your friendship level high enough with her?

I, and some other players were disappointed that Tara couldn't romance the florist, because that felt like a natural choice.

As for me, I chose someone and reached the point of proposing, then broke their heart by choosing myself rather than them. I wound up not marrying anyone because none of the choices were appealing enough.