Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I wonder why some spots on the Mastery track are on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Opened my first sealed pool and lol

Valiant Veteran
Golden Argosy
Karn's Sylex
Adarkar Wastes
Sulfurous Springs x2

All those lands are good for constructed at least!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Boxman posted:

Opened my first sealed pool and lol

Valiant Veteran
Golden Argosy
Karn's Sylex
Adarkar Wastes
Sulfurous Springs x2

All those lands are good for constructed at least!

Oof. Worth checking the rest of the pool though there's loads of good uncomons to build with.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think my first deck in DMU is... the Defender deck...?!

Event #1 (Sealed)

https://www.17lands.com/deck/910962373c6b41be80fc7b03d21b984d

I had a lot of defender cards, but seeing the Walking Bulwark and Shield-Wall Sentinel was what made this seem actually viable? The lands I opened made a blue splash basically "free" for BG, which enables Vineshaper Prodigy's kicker. If I'm dabbling there might as well get Combat Research which has the most upside? I have the UB uncommon legend but it seems like it would just be a bear in this deck.

The other thing I could consider would be W instead of U. I have a lot of black cards that have powerful W kickers and the three Samites would make playing the Cleric lord potentially viable, plus the Queen... it is a bit more commitment though and I don't know the power level justifies it?

Edit: hmm lords of limited gave Combat Research a D, i guess that makes sense, also i only have two fliers that would make good use of it. I guess I'll play the writhing necromass, and uh vohar? I guess looting is decent enough trinket text

Game 1: I think this was winnable but I did not sequence creatures correctly and I gave up my Blight Pile to the black knight's onboard trick.
Game 2: I got locked down by stun counters and Djinn plus Firestorm ended it
Game 3: against rkpost?! clockwork drawbridge stalled me out for quite a few turns. i think they punted by thinking they could activate aron, benalia's ruin as a combat trick, but it had summoning sickness. Mossbeard Ancient clomped in and Blight pile finished things off. Combat research would definitely not have done anything in this deck lol. But the looting was actually super useful
Game 4: I got screwed on black mana which this deck actually needs a ton of even though it's equal with green cards on paper lol. My battlefly swarm was holding back 8/8 territorial maro but they sniped it out. Radha + Defiler of Vigor + Elvish Hydromancer overran. Also I punted while writing this by not chumping the maro with a saproling lol

1-3

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

thespaceinvader posted:

Oof. Worth checking the rest of the pool though there's loads of good uncomons to build with.

I think it's a mess. Lots of x/black gold cards, and I just don't have any depth in black to support it - only 8 cards total. I have four (!!) rakdos duals, so the answer might be RW with black splash to get access to a couple of the uncommons. I'd love to share the pool, because i'm desperately curious how other people would build this, but 17 lands isn't picking up on it. I assume some sort of opening day glitchiness. I'm going to hold off playing this out, because I expect a pretty poor outcome if I don't get a second set of eyes here.

How many sources do you need to splash for a double color card again? Obviously running my extinguish the light would be great.

EDIT: Here we go. I threw UW and Mardu together. The Mardu deck feels too light on creatures. White seems to be a pretty obvious first color though, with a couple of the o-ring effects. It's possible I should be playing some of the white grizzly bears just to push my curve down. Feels like maybe that's a bit less important in sealed?

EDIT AGAIN: There's no way founding the Third Path is right, right? Probably a bear instead.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 1, 2022

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Boxman posted:

How many sources do you need to splash for a double color card again? Obviously running my extinguish the light would be great.

EDIT: Here we go. I threw UW and Mardu together. The Mardu deck feels too light on creatures. White seems to be a pretty obvious first color though, with a couple of the o-ring effects. It's possible I should be playing some of the white grizzly bears just to push my curve down. Feels like maybe that's a bit less important in sealed?

EDIT AGAIN: There's no way founding the Third Path is right, right? Probably a bear instead.

Depends on your card draw/land searching honestly. Probably 4-5 minimum, maaaaybe 3 if you have a bunch of ways to dig for it. Full disclosure I have been mostly retired from the rectangle game for ages and now just goof with releases and zero research so I don't really know what all is in the set yet.

edit: also for double color splashes, you can get away with less if it's some 6 cmc bomb and not something you want to cast on say turn 3 consistently

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Fucker posted:

:gonk:

the classic ajani avi...

That is cool as gently caress, no lie (regular Ajani will return once the timeline is reset, i'm sure).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Event #2

https://www.17lands.com/draft/c1e8e3025db74878a7526ac2491ec0e9

Opened Shivan Devastator, kept getting passed Ghitu Amplifiers so I valued cheap instants more highly. Some white came my way and I tentatively picked some cards up but that didn't seem to come together. Felt #blessed when Balmor and Najal showed up in pack 3.

It feels like Jaya's Firenado is too chonky for this deck and that I'm probably going to tempo enemies out and get their creatures in combat? Rona's Vortex, even without kicker, seems like it might be more useful, and I think I can slot in a Swamp just in case? Sprouting Goblin seems good to facilitate domain and draw if games stall out.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Boxman posted:

I think it's a mess. Lots of x/black gold cards, and I just don't have any depth in black to support it - only 8 cards total. I have four (!!) rakdos duals, so the answer might be RW with black splash to get access to a couple of the uncommons. I'd love to share the pool, because i'm desperately curious how other people would build this, but 17 lands isn't picking up on it. I assume some sort of opening day glitchiness. I'm going to hold off playing this out, because I expect a pretty poor outcome if I don't get a second set of eyes here.

Frank Karsten to the Rescue!
https://strategy.channelfireball.com/all-strategy/home/how-many-sources-do-you-need-to-consistently-cast-your-spells-a-2022-update/

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Initial opinion: i do not get this set, gone 1-3 twice

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Izzards rock :supaburn:

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Fucker posted:

:gonk:

the classic ajani avi...

This is more appropriate for when the game crashes mid-match and it switches me to that avatar when I reboot.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Need a little sealed help.

What should I cut? I feel Grixis is the proper action. I wanted to use white for Serra Paragon, but there's not enough in white to justify it. Jund is an option as it has way more fixing but I feel like something is missing. Thoughts?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
opened a shivan devastator and jaya in my first draft :feelsgood:

1-0 BR aggro. I got passed a ton of removal. Cut down, tribute to urborg, lightning strike, 2x flowstone, more.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

ive also never seen this art and its insanely bad rear end

Kim Jaym Il
Dec 14, 2010

what? i
don't
have
fucking
ears

Huxley posted:

Rotation extras. As far as I know if you created a new account today you would not have them on your track, they're bonuses along with the egg.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
First draft of the new set and my rares are 3 x Urza Assembles The Titans, good show

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Holy crap, these look so great.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Event #2

https://www.17lands.com/draft/c1e8e3025db74878a7526ac2491ec0e9

Opened Shivan Devastator, kept getting passed Ghitu Amplifiers so I valued cheap instants more highly. Some white came my way and I tentatively picked some cards up but that didn't seem to come together. Felt #blessed when Balmor and Najal showed up in pack 3.

It feels like Jaya's Firenado is too chonky for this deck and that I'm probably going to tempo enemies out and get their creatures in combat? Rona's Vortex, even without kicker, seems like it might be more useful, and I think I can slot in a Swamp just in case? Sprouting Goblin seems good to facilitate domain and draw if games stall out.

2-3, feels bad.

I had some pretty good games but two losses were to me continuously misplaying, unable to add single digit numbers together to do combat math correctly, and falling for common tricks. It felt like it could have been a good deck, too. I will stop for now to prevent things from getting worse

Edit: writing this to remind myself not to make my kavu 1 toughness when opponent has a tapped 1/1 token and green mana up

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 1, 2022

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

So is sealed like draft except instead of picking and passing packs it just throws a bunch of cards in your face? I have a bunch of gold saved up and was tempted to try it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Horace Kinch posted:

So is sealed like draft except instead of picking and passing packs it just throws a bunch of cards in your face? I have a bunch of gold saved up and was tempted to try it.

Sealed gives you 6 packs straight up to build your deck out of. Less synergistic and usually quite a bit slower format than draft is, some cards are better in sealed vs draft due to the splashy and slower nature of sealed.

Drafted a GW go wide deck with a couple red splashes and Llanowar Stalker combined with Baird is insane

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Horace Kinch posted:

Yeah in sealed you just get 6 boosters of cards to make a deck out of, rather than drafting a pool and making a deck out of that. Good way to dip your toe into limited, since draft is pretty overwhelming to start.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Well, 1-3 with what I thought was a decent UW. 1-3 with a pretty decent seeming Mardu deck. 6-3 with what I was convinced was an awful GB. Had a couple reanimation things, 2 deathtouch mana dorks, and then just held off people until I could replay fatties.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Huxley posted:

Those are the renewal rewards for new standard.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I've slept on the Defiler cycle during previews.

Turns out that Phyrexian mana is still the most busted mechanic since Storm.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 1, 2022

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Sure do love being mana flooded literally every game I play while my opponents style on me. loving shuffler.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Event #3

https://www.17lands.com/draft/b2b00654381b443895ef9d0681438c33
I'll play this one tomorrow. Opened Balmor in a pack with Urza Assembles the Titans as the rare, so I thought I would try to force Izzards again. (Maybe Fires of Victory was the pick there?) This one seems a bit less consistent than my previous one, fewer cheap instants, fewer amplifiers, and also no mythic dragon lol. But Baird + Balmor synergy seems potentially good? I remember in SNC the warnings about having too many different gold 2-drops but I probably want to play Balmor and Baird later anyway. I will probably not use Sylex correctly lol, warping my gameplay around a sweeper always has me making more bad decisions than usual

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Event #3

https://www.17lands.com/draft/b2b00654381b443895ef9d0681438c33
I'll play this one tomorrow. Opened Balmor in a pack with Urza Assembles the Titans as the rare, so I thought I would try to force Izzards again. (Maybe Fires of Victory was the pick there?) This one seems a bit less consistent than my previous one, fewer cheap instants, fewer amplifiers, and also no mythic dragon lol. But Baird + Balmor synergy seems potentially good? I remember in SNC the warnings about having too many different gold 2-drops but I probably want to play Balmor and Baird later anyway. I will probably not use Sylex correctly lol, warping my gameplay around a sweeper always has me making more bad decisions than usual

If you want to play the UR deck then instead of taking random off colour garbage like you did in pack 1, you want to take the cantrips like Joint Exploration, Impulse, and to a lesser extent Thrill of Possibility

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

If you want to play the UR deck then instead of taking random off colour garbage like you did in pack 1, you want to take the cantrips like Joint Exploration, Impulse, and to a lesser extent Thrill of Possibility

Which were the random off color garbage cards in pack 1?

Keldon Strike Team was red at least and it seems playable. I should probably cut Stenn though, I might have to play Volshe Tideturner I guess?

Edit: on further reflection it's not worth playing Baird here either I think, I will cut out white (leaving the dual land for strike team kicker/domain i guess). Might as well run a maindeck Negate, marginal upside with all the other instants matter stuff here might make it worthwhile i think

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 1, 2022

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Friendly reminder to purge your Standard BO1 sideboard of lesson cards. I've been trying to figure out why all the decks I retooled weren't legal until I noticed it on the right.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Which were the random off color garbage cards in pack 1?

Keldon Strike Team was red at least and it seems playable. I should probably cut Stenn though, I might have to play Volshe Tideturner I guess?

Picks where you took a random off colour garbage and what I'd have taken

p1p4 Impulse
p1p11 Impulse
p2p1 Timely Interference
p2p2 Geyser (Meria's Outrider isn't off-colour but def not what you want for this deck)
p2p3 Picker or Thrill
p2p6 Bellow
p2p9 Drake
p2p10 Impede Momentum
p3p1 Scatter or Timely (they both wheeled lmao)
p3p8 Drake

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Interesting drafts so far. I guess I should expect to [0-2]/3 events until I understand what's going on with the format.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
First draft

Insanely open Grixis. I'm quite happy with the deck. Still lost the first game (only one so far) because they just had a bit more gas in the tank, key removal and then ultimately won in the air. But the game was fun!

Still open for suggestions of course

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Simply Simon posted:

First draft

Insanely open Grixis. I'm quite happy with the deck. Still lost the first game (only one so far) because they just had a bit more gas in the tank, key removal and then ultimately won in the air. But the game was fun!

Still open for suggestions of course

Cut Impede Momentum for Phyrexian Espionage. I also want to find room for Gibbering Barricade as a good blocker, maybe instead of Haunting Figment or 1 Shore Up?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Picks where you took a random off colour garbage and what I'd have taken

p1p4 Impulse
p1p11 Impulse
p2p1 Timely Interference
p2p2 Geyser (Meria's Outrider isn't off-colour but def not what you want for this deck)
p2p3 Picker or Thrill
p2p6 Bellow
p2p9 Drake
p2p10 Impede Momentum
p3p1 Scatter or Timely (they both wheeled lmao)
p3p8 Drake

ok you said pack 1

In pack 2 i was still hedging on whether I needed to move out, also a couple of misclicks but yeah i get it

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

ok you said pack 1

In pack 2 i was still hedging on whether I needed to move out, also a couple of misclicks but yeah i get it

Your self-sabotage is now bleeding into your drafts?

As some one who also dual monitors drafts (or alt tabs a lot) when you make your first click into the game window, make sure its not on a card. I've deffo drafted cards by accident that way. It really likes to interpret that first click as a double click.

So now the protocol is to just click on empty space first, then the card I want to reserve, and then a second click to actually pick the card.

It's worked for me so far.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

im doing this on mobile now for the first time in awhile, there are 4 rewards now. is this mobile only or a new feature?

edit nm was just the daily counter

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
5-3 and 7-2 in my first two drafts of the set. First one was 5 color domain big green stompy, no big bomb rares but lots of multicolor uncommon bodies to throw. I found that a lot of green commons out of reach of the common kill spells at 4+ toughness, but there's a lot of little guys and disruption spells to stall the board. With the relative rarity of trample, it was hard to push through in most my games, but all the domain cards seemed super strong and synergistic so long as the tapped duo lands are prioritized.

Draft two opened with the mythic hydra dragon, which is a haste flying Rx x/x dragon, which is probably one of the mightiest bombs in this set. RW was open after that, and the super synergistic 2 or 3 color low cost legendaries are absolute beasts in this set. I did primary R/W with splashing U/G for kickers and domain, and it felt very easy to go wide and aggressive, since it's the first day of the set and everyone's drafting the durdly slow stuff with bad manabases. It was also easy to stall the board with my flood of guys, there's very few board wipes going around this set and the closest I saw was a single karn's Sylex that didn't do much at all.

Anyway, draft was fun, this is my first set where I feel confident enough to eyeball what's strong in a pack without tools after a year of using MTGA Assistant and checking 17lands constantly. If you're not 1000% confident in drafting I highly recommend doing that, it's way easier to think about synergies and strengths when you can read other peoples thoughts and check card winrates while you're drafting.

Also, I encountered minor bugs during the draft and by god I expect to be fully recompensed for my gold spent wizards :colbert:

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I am going to pay in game gold for the beautiful stained glass lands. Have they added the feature to chose a land type as default?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Onehandclapping posted:

5-3 and 7-2 in my first two drafts of the set. First one was 5 color domain big green stompy, no big bomb rares but lots of multicolor uncommon bodies to throw. I found that a lot of green commons out of reach of the common kill spells at 4+ toughness, but there's a lot of little guys and disruption spells to stall the board. With the relative rarity of trample, it was hard to push through in most my games, but all the domain cards seemed super strong and synergistic so long as the tapped duo lands are prioritized.

Draft two opened with the mythic hydra dragon, which is a haste flying Rx x/x dragon, which is probably one of the mightiest bombs in this set. RW was open after that, and the super synergistic 2 or 3 color low cost legendaries are absolute beasts in this set. I did primary R/W with splashing U/G for kickers and domain, and it felt very easy to go wide and aggressive, since it's the first day of the set and everyone's drafting the durdly slow stuff with bad manabases. It was also easy to stall the board with my flood of guys, there's very few board wipes going around this set and the closest I saw was a single karn's Sylex that didn't do much at all.

Anyway, draft was fun, this is my first set where I feel confident enough to eyeball what's strong in a pack without tools after a year of using MTGA Assistant and checking 17lands constantly. If you're not 1000% confident in drafting I highly recommend doing that, it's way easier to think about synergies and strengths when you can read other peoples thoughts and check card winrates while you're drafting.

Also, I encountered minor bugs during the draft and by god I expect to be fully recompensed for my gold spent wizards :colbert:

What were the bugs? And if you file a ticket for the draft, it is very likely you will be given your gold back for maximum +EV.