Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

big scary monsters posted:

Also the mastery pass for this set goes up to 110 and there are actually some gems, gold and boosters part 80. Is it an unusually long time until the next set release?

The next set is MH3, which isn't going to have a mastery pass (they're doing something else that they haven't announced yet) so OTP mastery lasts until Bloomburrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
Rarity does not always mean quality in a limited format. A lot of rare cards are specifically for constructed formats (to prevent them from clotting up the draft packs, but also to juice sales). Territory Forge and Molten Duplication, as examples, are close to unplayable in Limited.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Oh that explains Territory Forge, yeah. I nabbed it on sight noticing it was a mythic and in game I was all "this is what it does?" READ THE CARDS

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
This format feels like it could be really fun without all the rares you immediately need an answer for, or ones you can't conceivably plan for because they're bonus sheet ones. I had a really good deck that didn't go higher than 2-3, and one of those was to Overwhelming Forces because the game went long.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 17, 2024

atmz
Jan 5, 2005

lurk lurk lurk
lol, is this just what happens on day one of a format?

https://www.17lands.com/details/ab4b946563a647db96df4c0365b1859e

Took Breeches p1p1 and just went UR outlaws + 2 spells. Breeches actually not good in my deck (0 artifacts) but lane seemed open. (4 Prickly Pairs! 2 Slick Sequences!).
Got lucky with rares -- I though Double Down would be bad (played it because it seemed fun) but actually felt like a bomb in this deck.
Game 3 I had Breeches and no way to get an artifact, and my opponent gave me 2 treasure tokens!

Overall, format is slower (good!) and game states can get very very complicated (6+ lands + several plotted cards can lead to very complex turns)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Got to replay Cruel Ultimatum for free using the "plot multicoloured instants and sorceries" creature so I might just stop playing OTJ right now, not going to beat that.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm currently unable to get into any games at all since the update. Do I need to reset anything?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Was 4-1 but then lost on the draw to 2 huge bombs played on curve which I didn't immediately have an answer for - Laughing Jasper Flint (good lord this is a limited bomb) and some enchantment that allows you to make a creature token of your choice every turn

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Apparently this sets hates me i'm 2-9 across 2 drafts and a sealed :(

I got crushed by laughing jasper one of them, yeah.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 17, 2024

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

imagine dungeons posted:

Brawl does seem completely unregulated right now. Mythweaver Poq just running around unchecked for like 4 months.

Every time I beat Poq it boils down to me either having a counterspell ready to go or I can tutor up Fall of the Thran and nuke all the lands (pair this with graveyard hate so they can't bounce back.)

Jolly Guy
Sep 24, 2011
There are some ridiculous bombs in the set, but the removal feels powerful enough to deal with some of that nonsense to me. Of course opening/getting passed a few of the really good bombs doesn't hurt.

Draft 1 7-1: https://www.17lands.com/draft/48d9b4471d21451ebe42f91047cab5e6 Opened Final Showdown, Ended up UWr splashing Calamity which I probably shouldn't have.
Draft 2 7-0: https://www.17lands.com/draft/3b4218733525404f8d0b22d1bef9300e P3P3 was Bonny Pall which got shoved into my BG deck and ended 5 of my games. Tutors/dig MVP
Draft 3 5-3: https://www.17lands.com/draft/b63c74433db447d0aed5a482c164e043 UW Tempo deck with decent low cost creatures and removal.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Jolly Guy posted:

There are some ridiculous bombs in the set, but the removal feels powerful enough to deal with some of that nonsense to me. Of course opening/getting passed a few of the really good bombs doesn't hurt.

It doesn't feel completely bomby but it is very rare/mythic centric. Lots of my games so far have entirely been about dealing with or getting synergy from higher rarity cards.

Anyone have a fun standard crimes brew? Between Kaervek and Gissa there must be something. I'm going to try slotting then into my mono black discard deck but am sure there are better options.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

anakha posted:

I'm currently unable to get into any games at all since the update. Do I need to reset anything?

same, I'm just stuck in "waiting"

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I can't even get into the game anymore, neither on PC nor on mobile. Tried reinstalling, flushing DNS, etc., but nothing works.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I have never paid attention to the card port razer before. It is pretty messed up, especially with trample.

Let me attack!

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Limited mulligans question: my heuristic for 2 landers has been that you mulligan if you have one color or you're on the play, but a hand with both your colors on the draw is a reasonable gamble. Is that right or am I off base?

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Eeevil posted:

Limited mulligans question: my heuristic for 2 landers has been that you mulligan if you have one color or you're on the play, but a hand with both your colors on the draw is a reasonable gamble. Is that right or am I off base?

I'm not throwing away a 2-lander unless my hand is so mismatched that I literally have no plays. Some people will say you should be throwing away more hands, and then you have people like Chord_o_calls saying you should barely mulligan at all in limited. Just have to accept flipping the coin and not getting there sometimes.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Eeevil posted:

yeah. keep more 2 landers with plays. dont just throw a hand back if it has one color if you can still make plays with what is in your hand. but also mulligan more 3 landers with no good plays

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, what does and doesn't have reach is honestly baffling to me.

This guy is a spooder so it has reach. But that guy is a spooder but they forgot the reach for some reason? This guy is an archer so it has reach. But this guy has an ACTUAL GUN and has no reach. This version of this Praetor has reach but this one doesn't. This literal walking skyscraper? Nah no reach. But THAT literal walking skyscraper? Reach for daaaayyyyys.

People will absolutely still get got by it but it will happen a lot less when there's an obvious visual symbol of it like there is for Trample - and I think they've made Firststrike and Doublestrike show up with priority when they're relevant too

Arena heavily rewards playing quickly, but getting caught out by reach being not even visible on the card without hovering and having no visual indicators punished it and I'm glad they fixed it.

Though I with the bows and arrows were just a little less prominent.

Nylea is the size of a mountain AND has a bow AND doesn't have reach!!!!!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
For mulligans, I basically make a quick assessment of how the first few turns are going to look like with this hand. Will it be draw-pass-draw-pass-draw-first play? Does that change if I get a land OR a two-drop? Are my only plays removal, and maybe conditional one at that? Do I heavily rely on a single creature, what happens if it gets removed? Can I take that risk? How many turns do I have to draw out of the issue the hand has?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

https://www.17lands.com/deck/dd2b6296bda3442d90bda9ed4d516a9d

Any suggestions here? Help rescue me from the doldrums thread!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

thespaceinvader posted:

https://www.17lands.com/deck/dd2b6296bda3442d90bda9ed4d516a9d

Any suggestions here? Help rescue me from the doldrums thread!
A big issue I see with your build is that you don't really have a concrete plan for your deck. You have some crime committing, some "play on opp's turn" cards, some double-spelling cards, and a Frontier Seeker with only two Mounts. The problem is not really the build, it's that you didn't focus on a plan during drafting - just picking good W and U cards doesn't really cut it in a format that seems to be as highly synergistic as this one (going off first impressions ofc).

I think your best bet with this pool is to develop a plan, and for me, the highest chance you have is to be aggressive, play for crime-commit and cheap double-spell payoffs, and try to win a tempo game. Your removal makes you set up well for that, and you can push the last few points of damage with the two Nimble Brigands and the Razzle-Dazzler.

Cards that don't work for this plan are the Felidar, the Wrangler, Daring Thunder-Thief, Canyon Crab, Outlaw Medic (defensive card), Fierce Retribution and Emergent Haunting. Cards in your sideboard that DO work are Harrier Strix (commits a crime, allows an attack, pecks in, cheap), Getaway Glamer (crime, gets rid of their big blocker), Jailbreak Scheme (Crime AND unblockable), Thunder Lasso (Crime and easier attacks). Cards that are okay just because they're cheap creatures are Prarie Dog, Frontier Seeker and Spring Splasher.

Of course, you can't just cut all your creatures, so I'd keep Thunder-Thief, Canyon Crab and Outlaw Medic. I would play Sheriff of Safe Passage (double spell, you got a bunch of cheap 2drops), Vengeful Townsfolk (efficient), Djinn of Fool's Fall (double-spell) to get the creature count up.

Failed Fording seems terrible to me (the Surveil was free in the previous set!), also you have plenty of harder removal.

I haven't done a count of what exactly I'd cut and what I'd keep, play around a bit and see what makes sense for you, especially wrt creature count. Also, I don't want to commit too much because I have barely played the set.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

house of the dad posted:

I'm not throwing away a 2-lander unless my hand is so mismatched that I literally have no plays. Some people will say you should be throwing away more hands, and then you have people like Chord_o_calls saying you should barely mulligan at all in limited. Just have to accept flipping the coin and not getting there sometimes.

fwiw, i talked with him about this in person and the biggest thing to keep in mind is that there are some formats where not having a play to the board in the first 3 turns puts you at like 80% to lose, and some where that isnt nearly the case. in the former you gotta send those hands back, unless your mental math puts you exceedingly likely to draw out of that predicament

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
On mobile/ipad, how do you target another token mercenary with the tap ability? Every time I tried I’d invariably target the token itself.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Eeevil posted:

Depends on your hand really. If I'm playing mono I can live with 2 in the hopes I draw a 3rd soon (or a mana rock/dork). If I'm playing two or more colors I will mulligan over and over until I get something workable. I've won games mulling down to 4 just because the other hands had no fixing or were immediately unplayable.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Lid posted:

I skipped spoilers but looking that up gives huge Uro vibes. This is not a good thing.

Lmao it's not even close to uro in power what on earth.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

imweasel09 posted:

Lmao it's not even close to uro in power what on earth.

in limited it very much is. constructed no, sure

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Can't believe they put Oko back into yet another set!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Prairie Dog is insane.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jesus Slick-shot is bananas. loving turn 3 wins on the play from pure aggro.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Really enjoying the Play Boosters. Really hating the Prosperity frame - takes a beat everytime to suss out that the card isn't Prosperity and what it's colors are.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
The Prosperity Post borders are maybe there ugliest thing they’ve put on arena. Okay second to the black and white filter they put on the Crimson Vow/Midnight Hunt mash-up event cards.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Prairie Dog is insane.

Lifelink plays a bit better in this set. There's a lot of ways to boost a unicorn dork that are perfectly playable no matter the circumstances, and there's a lot of damage races. Outlaw medic has been pretty good in every game I've played it.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Really enjoying the Play Boosters. Really hating the Prosperity frame - takes a beat everytime to suss out that the card isn't Prosperity and what it's colors are.

Yeah it's pretty ugly but I could forgive that if I could just see what the colours are at a glance. Sucks drafting and having to constantly double check if a card is actually in your colours.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
OTJ is destroying me in limited so far, 3-6 :negative:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'm worried that play boosters will be conducive to certain play patterns and drafting experiences and won't allow for a broader range outside of that. back-and-forth must-answer bomb-flinging versus breakneck aggro forever

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Moxfield defaults to latest printing I think. I built a few commander lists this weekend and I can't tell you how many times I went take out the spell Prosperity from my decks because I was like "what the gently caress is this off color random spelohhh"

Their art director needs a sarcastic person in the office to be like "oh cool idea printing a set of lands that look like identical forest maps" or "oh right on! shedding 30 years of design clearly to put a title on a card that's not the card at all."

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Playing Magic is hard and it doesn't get easier after a couple glasses of wine. I definitely punted a couple games in my last draft that I should have won due to alcohol-induced misclicks and bad plays. Still went 4-3 but with Bonny Pall in my deck I probably should done a bit better.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sorry for the reddit post, but new tech just dropped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
sounds like someone making poo poo up to force a meme