Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

flatluigi posted:

sounds like someone making poo poo up to force a meme

maybe even wotc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

big scary monsters posted:

Playing Magic is hard and it doesn't get easier after a couple glasses of wine. I definitely punted a couple games in my last draft that I should have won due to alcohol-induced misclicks and bad plays. Still went 4-3 but with Bonny Pall in my deck I probably should done a bit better.

you're not supposed to drink n drive decks. You're supposed to get high off your rear end to feel like a real wizard

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Khanstant posted:

you're not supposed to drink n drive decks. You're supposed to get high off your rear end to feel like a real wizard

I don't know if you're being facetious but yeah, it's the only way to play! Oh you're gonna start roping? fine with me, more chances to hit my Vaporgenie every time you do!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Lone Goat posted:

Sorry for the reddit post, but new tech just dropped

Worth the 1000 gems IMO.

Zefiel posted:

I don't know if you're being facetious but yeah, it's the only way to play! Oh you're gonna start roping? fine with me, more chances to hit my Vaporgenie every time you do!
Pondering...

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Oh man, I had a game or two where I tried real hard to mess this up. But I couldn't manage. Sphinx good. Campaign good. First picked Vault plunderer and I can't really complain there. The ravens even played pretty well. 7-0 in pretty quick fashion.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Trying Jasper in Brawl. A smile you can trust.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

ex post facho posted:

OTJ is destroying me in limited so far, 3-6 :negative:
I'm 18-30 after 10 drafts.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Almost just threw a limited game because I didn't realise that Taii Wakeen, Perfect Shot and Deadeye Duelist work brilliantly together until the very last moment.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Did my first OTJ Premier

https://www.17lands.com/draft/c6d32f8a80dc44dcbeb1360600f04b50

I opened Jasper and tried to stay open (took some G specs, including a P3P1 Gitrog), but in the first pack B seemed entirely open so I just took all of those cards, noted that solid R cards still tabled, then opened Vial Smasher and decided to lock in. End result: this sleek little number:

I deliberately decided to not splash Gitrog and Back for More because a) I like how focused on Outlaw Beatdown + Crimes the deck is and b) I only got the one fixing land. I took Crackle with Power because uuuh Mythic and maybe good? but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I really don't want to ever reach 8 mana, and it's garbo at 5. I should have picked the bear that makes Treasures over it, then I could maybe have splashed Gitrog (I also got the gobbo that can sac for treasure, and then I might have played the 3/4 Menace that sacs Outlaws for growing + Treasures). But eh, the deck is great as is.

I know that because it's 4-0 already. Raven is incredible - I can pretty much commit a crime every turn - and the Rooftop Assassins are also phenomenal. I'm really quite happy they finally pushed a creature with this effect enough to be playable, because it's a lot of fun to set it up imo.

I only played Jasper once and it immediately ate removal, however I did reanimate with Rakdos Joins Up the Hollow Marauder I'd discarded to the rummage-bear on T2, that got me a concede. Deck's fun, I hope to be able to carry it further!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

distortion park posted:

Almost just threw a limited game because I didn't realise that Taii Wakeen, Perfect Shot and Deadeye Duelist work brilliantly together until the very last moment.

Holy poo poo yes, I'm definitely keeping my eyes open for this combo, both on guard for it and as a drafting opportunity.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

distortion park posted:

Shared this with a friend of mine, who replied:

-That doesn't work, the duelist only targets players
-Oh, unless you want to kill them, then it works
-I just thought you meant to draw cards

The izzet-iest player I know, everyone.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

lol, undefeated in jump in because my first 3 games were against bots stalling for early concedes

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

distortion park posted:

Taii also works with the dual deserts if you want your lands to hyperbeam your opponent

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Boco_T posted:

I'm 18-30 after 10 drafts.

I'm up to 5-12 now! :smithicide:

right now the best strategy based on how many times i've been clobbered by it seems to be just draft green and any other color than blue and you'll probably win. GW GB and GR all seem very strong.

i haven't had this much trouble drafting since ONE or maybe BRO, i'm just getting loving stomped. One of my opponents had three loving Jolenes. nothing like getting tilted with copying an opponent's deathtoucher with fleeting reflection to kill a Jolene only to have them play another one immediately afterward

I've been going tri-color with some average fixing for most of my drafts, maybe I really need to filter it down.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Boxman posted:

Shared this with a friend of mine, who replied:

-That doesn't work, the duelist only targets players
-Oh, unless you want to kill them, then it works
-I just thought you meant to draw cards

The izzet-iest player I know, everyone.

I'm playing my Taii deck in HBrawl and it certainly becomes a math problem towards the end of the game once I have access to like, ~6 mana and can probably burn someone down real fast. At the same time, the drive to do just the perfect amount of damage is a strong one...

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Two Reanimates, a Badlands Revival, a Back For More and a Spinewoods Armadillo. idk what to even do about that

In the latest run, I also went BG reanimator. Two of my opponents were mono G and the other was also a reanimator deck. I hard punted one game, and got run down by two others with absurd kits like the above.

think i should break for a while, i'm normally a decent limited player but im getting absolutely destroyed. i'd post the draft but i'm playing on mobile, so..

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 18, 2024

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I’m enjoying OTJ limited more than MKM even though I’ve drafted some stinkers so far.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I haven't drafted at all yet because of life. I might not touch the format until next week, maybe even may :(

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
oh my god fell the mighty is so hosed up lmfao

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

cactus and tarantula only bridge the 't'. bad portmanteau

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

distortion park posted:

Can't believe they put Oko back into yet another set!

Stupid Sexy Oko on every pack

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha Bristly Bill is awesome. Bristly Bill and Nissa on board with party land in hand is even better. However the deck overall isn't that great, both because if it really goes off you probably won't get to do anything with it as they'll concede and if it doesn't go off you have a weak or empty board with 20 lands dying to some 2/1 from turn 2. Goldvein Hydra is cool though, I bet there's a gruul deck that could use it.

Also tried a new pirate deck and and some other UR deck. I want to try the Rakdos legends deck I saw but don't have the WCs and IIRC many of them are soon to rotate cards that feel weird to craft now. I still don't have all the bat symbol lands haha.

Only new thing I saw from opponent was an Orzhov deck playing some crazy rear end legendary flyers with walls of text that I could not stop. Looked cool not sure what it was though. That was a game where I had a good board and got a bajillions lands but not good enough and not able to stop their crazy flyers.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

BR crime archetype seems very funny in draft if you can draft it. Nobody else seemed to be going red or black very heavily in my latest pool, and I got an absolute banger of a deck filled with a ton of kill spells. The 3/2 2-mana merc that pings an opponent for 1 every time you play an outlaw is so good when most red and black creatures in the set are outlaws. I also got a lucky p1p1 Gisa, which combos pretty hilariously with the little fella. Every time you crime you just ping them for 2 because Gisa spawns 2 outlaw zombies when you crime and since the ping counts as a crime, even playing outlaws triggers crimes. I can see why Gisa was limited to once per turn, because otherwise that would be a 2-card infinite dmg lmao.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
i really love this limited format

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I desperately want to love it it seems fun but I'm now 3/12 :(

Yesterday's deck seemed pretty decent but I got bonny paul, horrible flood, and an pponent who killed their whole board to drain me out with double rakish crew

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Time posted:

i really love this limited format

I suck rear end at it so far but I've been having a ton of fun doing the actual drafting and playing.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Gettign some really feelsbad beats this set to horrible bombs whilst not finding any of the average to good bombs I've managed to draft :(

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The rakdos crimes deck feels great in standard, I'm actually winning games against domain which I never used to unless I was super aggro.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Jasper Flint is probably one of the biggest bombs in the set. You need to have removal for it immediately, if you let them untap with it, the game tips radically in your opponent's favor. In limited they probably played at least one outlaw before him, so they're looking at the top couple cards of your deck which means that he almost never whiffs, so not only is he drawing them 1+ cards from your deck, but they're playable cards, and if they're creatures, they snowball him.

Even if you only let him stick around for a couple turns before finding removal, that's probably already enough of an advantage to beat you. Especially if they stole your bombs or removal. Also, he's a 3-drop. At least Bonny Pall costs 6.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

A Moose posted:

Jasper Flint is probably one of the biggest bombs in the set. You need to have removal for it immediately, if you let them untap with it, the game tips radically in your opponent's favor. In limited they probably played at least one outlaw before him, so they're looking at the top couple cards of your deck which means that he almost never whiffs, so not only is he drawing them 1+ cards from your deck, but they're playable cards, and if they're creatures, they snowball him.

Even if you only let him stick around for a couple turns before finding removal, that's probably already enough of an advantage to beat you. Especially if they stole your bombs or removal. Also, he's a 3-drop. At least Bonny Pall costs 6.

If you open a pack 1 pick 1 with Jasper and another good black rare/mythic and no good red, what are you taking? I had the choice and chose the other card (Harvester of Misery) but it might well have been the wrong call - I was worried about getting cut on both black and red and just not playing the Jasper anyway.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

A Moose posted:

Yeah that card is a house, I won a game where I had like 3 cards left in my deck because of him + my own Stubborn Burrowfiend (the mount that mills you), just barely because I drew the right removal that wasn't gone from my deck. He only had like 2 outlaws out most of the game.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

A Moose posted:

its not even a top 20 card. ill take a bunch of commons and uncommons over it. the card is very good but lots of cards in this set are very good

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'd still easily pick Jasper. There are enough pickable 1- and 2-drop outlaws at common that just being able to untap with him and one other outlaw puts you ahead, and since B/R is typically aggressive anyway, a 4/3 for 3 always contributes to the deck's gameplan.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
if im already in b/r ill pick it. if im not, there are probably 30 other cards i would take ahead of it

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Time posted:

if im already in b/r ill pick it. if im not, there are probably 30 other cards i would tae ahead of it

Is one of them Harvester of Misery?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

thespaceinvader posted:

Is one of them Harvester of Misery?

yeah that card is insane

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Well it won me 3 games this draft. Which makes it my first one to do better than 1.

Still burned a token and like 5000 gems or something this set for quite a lot of just ugh really moments.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Speaking of which, idk if it got brought up in this thread but make sure you are raredrafting Vault cards if you are drafting. In draft packs they have the same odds as in paper (1/5 mythics) but in Arena packs it's some insane odds like you have a 1/20 chance, once you open a mythic, of it replacing that mythic with a Vault card.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I think my early assessment is that people havent caught on that g/x is by far the best starting point for a deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
If a card doesn't give you immediate value, you should be wary of rating it too highly. "I just need to untap" is not a sentence you should have to say about a modern day bomb - every serious opp will have plenty of removal in their deck, in any color, especially with this set's bonus sheet.

I recently heard that e.g. Incinerator of the Guilty had surprisingly low stats in MKM because people could just say "okay my turn I kill it". Compared to Izoni who leaves behind a bunch of stats or Ezrim who canNOT be killed if you have a brain