Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Mr_Companie posted:

Here's the deck - I only played two bo3 games to close out diamond so most of those pics were strictly counter picks for Boros aggro and Esper so it may have looked a little different had I played more bo3 games.

very good deck for the current festival, a+ no notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
tried out the abuelo's awakening/rakdos joins up/metamorph combo in the festival queue on a whim and went 5-0 with zero issues, lol. tempted to try to ladder with it

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Brawl is the worst loving format, you try to have fun any way at all and all your opponents are the sultai emergent ultimatum control piles or the 5-color first sliver or niv reborn control piles.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

A Moose posted:

Brawl is the worst loving format, you try to have fun any way at all and all your opponents are the sultai emergent ultimatum control piles or the 5-color first sliver or niv reborn control piles.

nah i just play brews that don't go into the top tier queue and don't fight those decks

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

flatluigi posted:

nah i just play brews that don't go into the top tier queue and don't fight those decks

I mean I didn't think my new selvala brew was top loving tier, is there some broken combo with her that I'm the last to know about? I made the deck and played 10 games and saw like 3 commanders.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Someone playing three consecutive Tinybones Joins Up to begin a draft game is a bit much.

Mr_Companie
Jul 4, 2003

ARE YOU INTERESTED IN AN EXCITING BUISNESS OPPROTUNITY?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Should I play the Great Train heist in monored?
I gave it a try and my short answer is no.

Twinferno is more impactful in a wider variety of situations. Getting three casting triggers from two cards or an instant double strike is usually enough to push you over the top for the same or less mana. Between that and demonic ruckus you'll be set. In a lot of situations the freat train heist is just a dead card.

Mr_Companie fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 24, 2024

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Drafting Archetypes: OTJ Grixis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5UESsYieDs
Sam Black is starting with Grixis because RB and UB are underperforming, everyone is focusing on green, but he has done well with these colors. When green gets even more contested, this will be more important to know how to play.

Gameplan
These colors want to burn the opponent out. A primarily “non-attacking” style of gameplay. Creatures can be used defensively, and you get value from spells. There are a lot of cross-synergies between these colors’ mechanics (primarily crimes, outlaws, and doublespells) that create feedback loops. You want to have a lot of deserts, not just for fixing but for crime triggers. Even deserts that only have one of your colors will be worth it. Look for mechanic enabling cards at common: draw cards, kill creatures, do crimes. Your creatures are probably going to be anchored by uncommons and rares with good abilities; you don’t usually have big beaters.

You will probably be heavy in two mechanics, and that should determine your primary colors and which is a splash. Black is often where you start as it has the strongest base, and then you probably find red or blue cards that synergize with the mechanics you have. Most of these mechanics have incidental loss of life. Mercenary decks want flying, lifelink, and first strike creatures that can be pumped to push damage through. You’re usually making tokens to chump block, preventing opponent from damaging you with tricks, and gaining card advantage from draw and discard. Control gameplay through tokens and lifedrain. Prioritize cheap removal; you’ll probably chump block most big creatures.

You need to manage your life total; take some hits early to set up value if you can gain life later (black is good for this). Err towards “not attacking” unless it will be a huge swing, which might be enabled by mercenaries pumping, but leave a blocker behind. Don’t trade life unless you’re very far ahead. This archetype doesn’t really want counterspells (that’s more for Esper colors) because of the conflict with doublespell.

Key Uncommons
Blue: Nimble Brigand (unblockable curiosity), Metamorphic Blast (easy crime trigger and doublespell initiator), Slickshot Lockpicker (reusing spells)

Black: Blood Hustler (grows from crimes, lategame drain); Rakish Crew (outlaw typal blood artist); Unfortunate Accident (removal and outlaw); Unscrupulous Contractor (if you can support it by making mercenaries, plenty of value)

Red: Brimstone Roundup (mercenary generator); Longhorn Sharpshooter (direct damage)

Multicolor: Intimidation Campaign (grind value); At Knifepoint (mercenary generator); Vial Smasher, Kraum, and Slick Sequence are lower priority.

Key Commons
Blue: Take the Fall (the best common for Grixis: 1 mana crime spell that replaces itself). Loan Shark (minor doublespell advantage)

Black: Consuming Ashes and Desert’s Due (good removal, this archetype needs a lot). Raven of Fell Omens, if you’ve drafted well, should trigger every turn, Desperate Bloodseeker serves as a life cushion and crime trigger.

Red: Highway Robbery is easily banked for doublespelling; it could be the best red common, you want to dig to your good uncommons and rares in this archetype. Iron-First Pulverizer triggers crimes and benefits from doublespells, but don’t take it too highly; one or two should wheel. Explosive Derailment is solid removal.

Lands: A desert that’s half-on-color, take over most commons. Dual on-color deserts should be taken over most cards.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

A Moose posted:

I mean I didn't think my new selvala brew was top loving tier, is there some broken combo with her that I'm the last to know about? I made the deck and played 10 games and saw like 3 commanders.

It’s not you, it’s that wizards hasn’t balanced brawl tiers since alchemy ixalan loving poq entered the format. So sick of that loving cat.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Bugsy posted:

It’s not you, it’s that wizards hasn’t balanced brawl tiers since alchemy ixalan loving poq entered the format. So sick of that loving cat.

It is fun to counter & watch them instant scoop as they have no plan b.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I gotta give it to WotC…I thought that a super big, slow to rotate Standard would be bad but I think it’s a great format right now. Lots of cool decks.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I still think it might be more fun and diverse if we had less old reliables around, but standard has definitely been fun around set releases and I've been less annoyed at the change than I expected since I still found new things to play with. If anything golden oldies packs with only standard cards people actually play would've been rad to catch up on wolf bat and Kamigawa stuff.

I really look forward to upcoming rotation, I think I'll be in a pretty decent spot to build having played all sets in it. Many of the decks out of reach are still hinges cards from the oldest sets since I open so few packs of them ever since then or missed the set entirely. Lots of little mechanics and themes that don't quite survive the meta that night flourish for a bit post rotation.

It'll also be my first rotation so that'll be neat to see.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I play random bullshit in brawl and rarely fight competent enemies.

And when I do I just concede.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I think the problem is that arena uses your hidden MMR as well as your commander for Brawl matchmaking, so if you've been playing for a while, that's just what your brawl queue looks like. An unending stream of tryhard bullshit.

You will see multiple people running the exact same deck, except maybe with the commander swapped out to try to game the matchmaking algorithm.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I play multiple different commanders and see very different pools of opposition.

It's really annoying because the deck with no interaction that just does fun battlecruiser things tend to get matched up against Poq (which is almost unwinnable), while the mono-black deck with a good amount of interaction tends to see a lot of Etali (which is still winnable but ultimately not a very fun matchup).

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
In a format full of explosive turns, High Noon is an extremely good Magic card.

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?
Getting back into drafting on arena after a few years break. How does this deck look? Did I make the correct cuts? Idk if I'm being too greedy playing Betrayal at the Vault and Bounding Felidar. Is two deserts enough for the Outcaster Greenblade? Tumbleweed Rising seems interesting but I'm afraid I'd get blown out if I get a bad hand and was forced to play it into open mana with only one creature on board.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Kin33 posted:

Getting back into drafting on arena after a few years break. How does this deck look? Did I make the correct cuts? Idk if I'm being too greedy playing Betrayal at the Vault and Bounding Felidar. Is two deserts enough for the Outcaster Greenblade? Tumbleweed Rising seems interesting but I'm afraid I'd get blown out if I get a bad hand and was forced to play it into open mana with only one creature on board.

Pretty good first effort, I'd say.

Cuts: see below
Greedy: Betrayal is fine (it can be really good, you just have to be careful with your spot). Felidar...has issues (you have to untap with it, 6 mana is a lot, needs a board). But with your two Snakeskin Veils, maybe.
Deserts: yeah that's fine
Tumbleweed: yeah idk, it can be good but probably not in this deck. You have too many low-power creatures and also enough selection of cards that don't need setup

I'm interested in playing Bristeback Sentry, I think Thunder Lasso could be decent for you, and apparently Sterling Keykeeper has surprisingly decent stats. Steer Clear is not great in an aggressive deck, I'd cut that. You don't want to cut too many mounts but I think the Bighorn, the Grizzly or Felidar could go (probably the latter). Finally, I'd cut one of the Naturalists. It's a good card, but it doesn't really do much for your deck. Also your 3 slot is p bloated.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Artisan MWM deck. Went 5-1. Really, you're badgering them to death and closing with Marauder. I'm not positive on the Ashes. I had big dreams of recurring and saccing miners and whatnot, but it didn't really happen. In theory maybe it could. And honestly most games never made it to Badlandsing an Armadillo or something. Still, the 3 life landcycle is dece.

Deck
3 Patient Naturalist (OTJ) 174
9 Swamp (SLD) 1132
4 Desperate Bloodseeker (OTJ) 86
2 Trash the Town (OTJ) 186
3 Badlands Revival (OTJ) 194
2 Hardbristle Bandit (OTJ) 168
9 Forest (SLD) 1134
4 Stubborn Burrowfiend (OTJ) 184
4 Hollow Marauder (OTJ) 90
4 Festering Gulch (OTJ) 257
3 Honest Rutstein (OTJ) 207
2 Spinewoods Armadillo (OTJ) 182
3 Consuming Ashes (OTJ) 83
3 Forsaken Miner (OTJ) 88
2 Corrupted Conviction (MOM) 98
3 Unfortunate Accident (OTJ) 111

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Giving that a swing and the 22 lands are kind of brutal given the amount of removal cards that require two pips. Mana screwed in 3/3 games so far, with two of them losing to bombs with ample Unfortunate Accidents and Consuming Ashes withering in the hand.

edit: Did a tweak of that with 24 lands, non-outlaw kill spell in place of the Unfortunate Accident's, and three of the 6/5 rare worms and had more smoother travels. Crux of the deck is fun, multiple turns where the field goes from zilch to a full board.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 24, 2024

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Got my first 7 win deck of the format; GW is strong as advertised and Snakeskin Veil is a truly messed up limited card. I think I got at least one win I shouldn't have because an opponent refused to trade for my Goldvein Hydra, but fortunately I punted a game to compensate. Final boss was a very funny game against a gold player where they shame-scooped after double blocking a saddled Trained Arynx with a mercenary token and a Vault Plunderer.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I've been looking at 17lands data, and it's insane how cactarantula and spinewoods paladin are 2 of the best commons in the set.

I'm not really sure how blue is supposed to work though. The creatures mostly seem bad, and they seem like you need to run only like 12 creatures and 11 spells to make it work, but the spells also seem kinda bad?

Like the best blue common is a 4-mana 2/2 flyer that could also be a quash, but probably not both. Jailbreak scheme seems ok, putting something on top of the library for 3 mana, when that usually costs like 5 I think. A lot of the cards seem expensive and don't do as much as other colors.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

they're the best creatures in the set because aggro barely exists so a giant idiot that doesn't stay dead in your hand it's very good

and yeah blue struggles as a main colour because it's commons are weak and the play patterns around play 2/draw go archetypes aren't good, but quash/spirit is still tops because casting it on 5 is very possible, mostly because of the aforementioned lack of aggro.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

A Moose posted:

I've been looking at 17lands data, and it's insane how cactarantula and spinewoods paladin are 2 of the best commons in the set.

I'm not really sure how blue is supposed to work though. The creatures mostly seem bad, and they seem like you need to run only like 12 creatures and 11 spells to make it work, but the spells also seem kinda bad?

Like the best blue common is a 4-mana 2/2 flyer that could also be a quash, but probably not both. Jailbreak scheme seems ok, putting something on top of the library for 3 mana, when that usually costs like 5 I think. A lot of the cards seem expensive and don't do as much as other colors.

I kept being lured into UR in my early drafts by getting passed multiple of the synergy gold cards, and it was still not great. You have to work so hard to make your stuff work.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

This only went 4-3, but I feel like the general idea worked very well. It was a very up and down career this deck had, though. I lost to an absolutely ludicrous GW start with Bristly Bill into the Gryff, got removal for both but they just kept playing creatures. I almost came back with two Ravens draining every turn, but they won because of the trample on the Grizzly, oof. Then I lost again despite a promising start (they were so afraid of Tinybones that they tried to remove it, I played Veil, and they played another removal spell on it, so that was two for two yes but also a massive tempo loss and two removals on two 1 mana cards). However, they had yet another removal for my next big drop, and both their removals exiled, so I couldn't revive nor have a cheaper Hollow Marauder, and then they had Terror of the Peaks into making 5 tokens with Form a Posse.

However, then I had a game with Gisa on T3 and they just conceded when they didn't find a fourth land; then I did this:

So that's three removal back-to-back getting me a Desert every time + a drain + a free attack; they were completely and utterly chanceless. This was the deck firing on all cylinders for sure.

The final match was insane; I admit I played my removal badly and probably on the wrong targets, so I ultimately deserve the loss. However, I had a crazy turn where they alpha striked, and I flashed in Gigapede, killing one attacker, and blocking a second (Cactarantula, which made me go stupid with removal. I probably should have just let them draw a card). However, they discarded Harvester of Misery! However I specifically had kept up Snakeskin Veil, so the Cactarantula lived to kill their spider, and their last creature also died without trading because they felt so safe to attack with the Harvester up.

I untapped, smashed and made them discard a card with Hollow Marauder. Easiest game ever made.

They just play a land on their next turn. I untap, attack for lethal...

...they had Back For More as their last card. RIP

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I'd just like to say that, while I don't know how well it fares in terms of win/loss ratio, Return the Favor is the most satisfying card I have ever had the privilege to play in any card game, and I would love to see more cards like it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lol do I play Gisa here?

https://www.17lands.com/draft/a7e5745fb7f04822820e85aec1235165

The ideal is hiding her away under the collector's cage but if the game goes long I think Greenblade + 5 fetchable sources seems doable? I guess I could just put in white filler for consistency, especially since I'm not making the best use of the Mount stuff... Also maybe I have too many tricks lol. Maybe regardless i cut two Take up the Shields and put in the bighorns

2-3, never cast Cage or Gisa lol

Got completely owned by Lazav that always stayed 1 p/t above what i could deal with every turn

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Jesus christ, this draft deck started with p1p1 Bristly Bill and got better from there, currently 3-0, lets see if this goes 7-0

https://www.17lands.com/deck/5e36c843f3124c08b3c04b7b47afb348

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Another late night OTJ Premier which I'll play out tomorrow

https://www.17lands.com/draft/c681cc4ebe6e45798c15e22c88960999

I'll stop doing Golgari bullshit when they stop passing me the cards. Green seemed pretty dry after a few early picks, but I did get a very late Naturalist, so I figured the GY side of G might be there - and it was! I got a second Armadillo, I got Rutstein, I got Revival. I picked a bunch of fixing and Deserts because you never know, right? And then I opened Calamity, validating that. Also got the perfect deserts. Easy splash.

There's definitely some choices I could be making differently here - e.g. play the 3/2 surveiler for GY synergy, smoothing draws etc. - I could be splashing Skewer the Critis, I could play Skulduggery. Great Train Heist seems worth splashing, but maybe it's not? Discuss my choices.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
I would definitely take the sterling hound over the bedrock golem. every extra surveil trigger is a little more juice for your varmint explosion later. and you wont be saccing lands for a while with how top-heavy your curve is

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

EclecticTastes posted:

I'd just like to say that, while I don't know how well it fares in terms of win/loss ratio, Return the Favor is the most satisfying card I have ever had the privilege to play in any card game, and I would love to see more cards like it.

I had an opponent vigorously highlighting their own Lassoed by the Law for multiple turns when I had a Voracious Varmint out, and when I finally went to disenchant it they Return the Favored it onto my own Mystical Tether. I wasn't influenced by their highlighting, but I could tell by their emotes that they were VERY proud of their play (and frankly, so was I lmao)

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

A Moose posted:

Jesus christ, this draft deck started with p1p1 Bristly Bill and got better from there, currently 3-0, lets see if this goes 7-0

https://www.17lands.com/deck/5e36c843f3124c08b3c04b7b47afb348

yeah that was an easy 7 wins. I even beat a Bonny Pall, with Snakeskin Veil backup. I lost a game due to not paying attention. I wanted to Punishment for 0 to clear my opponent's 7/7 token, got distracted thinking about what I would do with the rest of my mana, and ended up accidentally casting Punishment for x=2, nuking 2 of my guys and leaving me without enough mana to cast anything else.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Tinybones looks great on paper then you just chump block and he goes away. Maybe if he had trample he would be ok

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Started a new sealed pool....

I think it wants me to run red.....

Sealed pool for those who are interested: https://sealeddeck.tech/l3fB0gEbPZ

Maybe Naya or Jund. Haven't decided yet.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Magda there is really icing on the cake, ain't it? Naya gets you Buried in the Garden, but I feel like just sticking to GR would be fine given you have decent red commons and plenty of good support green (two snakeskin veils? god drat).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha red is running rampant today. Luckily on a whim I decided to play an unarmed Ixalan orzo deck I had that turned out to be an Amalia Lifegain deck. It did fantastic tonight in standard against all the red, only lost once to red from a combo of misplay turn 1/2 lands and my opponent just getting all the parts to kill me turn 3 by saccing a 7 scamp. Otherwise it's really easy to get a good wall of Lifegain going to just tank through aggro. The bats are an MVP, turn 1 against one opponent I just immediately bailed because they had a hand of nothing but removal and board wipes lol

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Tinybones Joins Up would have a higher win rate on arena if it said "Target opponent" rather than "any number of target players"

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Venuz Patrol posted:

I would definitely take the sterling hound over the bedrock golem. every extra surveil trigger is a little more juice for your varmint explosion later. and you wont be saccing lands for a while with how top-heavy your curve is
I remember thinking the last part and then forgetting about it in my further deliberations, thanks for the reminder. I was thinking the 2/4 might block better and I just need to survive for my big stuff to come online, but they cost the same and a 3/2 can discourage attacks the same kinda way. It's a good swap.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Finally trophied in an OTJ premier draft with this deck after probably 8-10 drafts that were mostly 3-4 or 4-3 results:

I was a bit worried going in because of the lack of bombs, but leaning into the "pack removal, do crimes" aspect was strong enough to get me there.

Overall I really like the format, feels very dynamic and fun even though sometimes you just get run over by someone with every on color bomb possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Really enjoying White in this set. Had a couple great drafts (6-0 & 5-3) playing WR & WGu. It feels like rope-a-dope strategy where I kept going down to low life and then stalling them until they ran out of gas and then climbing back up to win.

Forgot to take a screenshot of the WGu deck but a combination of Wrangler of the Damned putting out chump blockers long enough for Fortune Loyal Steed + Holy Cow to climb out of massive life deficits and then Bonny Pall, Clearcutter finish off the games was extremely satisfying. At one point I was down to 3 life while they were on 66 and still won.

WR feels really strong and people keep passing me Ertha Jo or Form a Posse really late in packs.

This was the 6-0 deck.