Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

I have done 16 drafts so far and have played G/x in every single one of them, mostly Abzan. 67% win rate. Telling someone they should have taken blue cards in their draft review is, like, active harm. I guess I did splash the Ophidian guy and Villainous Wealth in one deck

I guess I need to branch out but haven't seen why yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.17lands.com/draft/cd578f6163a748abb1814d50a29bc221

I was shipped a RG Starter Pack at the beginning so my lane was set pretty early. The fine-tuning decisions of getting ramp/fixing vs. removal vs. beaters was tricky though. I think this is a much more responsible splash than my last draft lol? I don't think I need to play any Oasis Gardeners for Annie with 2 Dances and a Hardbristle + 3ish lands that could tap for white.

I just need to survive until 5 mana I guess lol

Edit: I feel like I just need more early bodies, probably replacing explosive derailment with the lackey

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 25, 2024

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
fun rules interaction: if you target Lazhav, Familiar Stranger with Back for More, the fight trigger will cause a crime that allows lazhav to pump and copy a creature before the fight resolves

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

1-3.

Annie Flash was good i guess. I never saw Roxanne except when it got stolen by Laughing Jasper Flint lol. Mulled to 5 against Bonny Pall lol

I am out of gold and want to preserve my gem stockpile so I guess it's back to constructed until i get the mastery token

Grixis crime decks with unblockable damage are just tearing me apart

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Grixis crime decks with unblockable damage are just tearing me apart
That can't be true I heard Blue is undraftable and you can't succeed without Green?!

Intermediate report from my current draft deck: eot Gigapede into Calamity is a bit of an oofster

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
blue's commons are mostly dogshit but their uncommons are almost all incredible. lockpicker is great. outlaw stitcher is great. nimble brigand is great. intimidation campaign is great. lazhav is great. if you have a pretty good rakdos or golgari crime/reanimator draft going it is almost always worth it to splash blue for the best uncommons you see in the pod.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Green is insane right now

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Green is huge now. Green is on the come up. Green is making moves lately.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Simply Simon posted:

That can't be true I heard Blue is undraftable and you can't succeed without Green?!

the trick to common knowledge about color strength in a limited environment is that if you have enough people who think the exact same way and also aren't good enough to read signals they'll all fight over one or two colors and feed you the best cards in the others

ofc sometimes an environment is so imbalanced that you still shouldn't even try, but I don't remember the last time poo poo was that dire

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Eeevil posted:

Green is huge now. Green is on the come up. Green is making moves lately.

Buy green! Sell red! Buy! Sell! gently caress!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Blue is good if you can deduce that you're the only one in the pod taking blue cards, which has happened to me multiple times.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Venuz Patrol posted:

blue's commons are mostly dogshit but their uncommons are almost all incredible. lockpicker is great. outlaw stitcher is great. nimble brigand is great. intimidation campaign is great. lazhav is great. if you have a pretty good rakdos or golgari crime/reanimator draft going it is almost always worth it to splash blue for the best uncommons you see in the pod.

I’ve always been the type of drafter to actively avoid the known best deck in order to get my pick of the chaff, and I’ve been having decent success with blue mainly on the strength of its uncommons.

I had a draft with three manamorphic blast and was pleasantly surprised at how often it was “kill a guy, draw 2”.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Just 0-3'd a draft that I dare try out a Jeskai build where literally every. single. game. came down to me removing a major threat and see it countered by Snakeskin Veil. Was floored to see it end the second game, Vince McMahon meme reaction to see it decide the third game.

Absolute miserable experience. Deck in build felt 'ok', but crumpled to incredibly basic GWB decks.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Apr 26, 2024

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

flatluigi posted:

the trick to common knowledge about color strength in a limited environment is that if you have enough people who think the exact same way and also aren't good enough to read signals they'll all fight over one or two colors and feed you the best cards in the others

ofc sometimes an environment is so imbalanced that you still shouldn't even try, but I don't remember the last time poo poo was that dire

Wasn't blue that bad in ONE, at least unless you got multiple of the U/W uncommon?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

A Moose posted:

Wasn't blue that bad in ONE, at least unless you got multiple of the U/W uncommon?
Yeah it was, and G in LotR was also pretty dire

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Another late night OTJ Premier which I'll play out tomorrow

https://www.17lands.com/draft/c681cc4ebe6e45798c15e22c88960999

Played it out today. Went 3-3. This was an interesting deck - it could do a lot in the early turns, pump out quick Cactarantulas, and the mana was great. I could almost always cast my stuff, including the double-pipped splashes. However, it didn't really work as a GY deck - I often only made two or at max three dudes with Attack of the Varmints. I didn't have enough self-mill, Rutstein wants to get something back early so it further removes stuff from the GY...

I lost to a very interesting Dimir deck that tempo'd me out with cheap creatures - their Spring Splasher kept shrinking my early stuff, then their Apothecary gave them Menace, so I couldn't block well. Before I knew it I was super low, and then they drained the last points of life with the target players draws two and loses two card. Sweet deck!

Next loss was also against Dimir, they stabilized at 8 life and then we stared at each other for a while while their Sphinx kept pecking in. I had a decent board and Great Train Heist but discovered another point of awkwardness: all of their stuff had way too much toughness (starting at 4), so the Heist didn't actually do anything?! Lost after drawing a bunch of lands while they drew action, but also ofc the Sphinx helped them Surveil so that's not bad luck, their deck was better.

Finally, I had a weird game against a GW deck where I had to mull to 5 after not risking a hand with Forest, Forest, Hardbristle and only B cards. Perhaps I should have taken the risk? Anyway they didn't do anything except grow their Prairie Dog for many turns and I realized after like 5 turns that ooooh they must have the wrath. They did. I never drew dog removal so that alone won them the game, but ofc they also had 7 spells in hand against my zero, so I would have lost anyway. Good play and plan on their end, though maybe less good if I'd gotten any kill spell!

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
If you want to get a plotted card with Binding Negotiation do you need to decline the first option to pick something out of their hand? Slightly annoyed it doesn't just let me pick the plotted card right away because it makes me think I'm going to decline to choose any card.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Did an OTJ QD because I want to convert some more gems into money, but I'm not seeing it on 17lands - perhaps because I started it too quickly and it wasn't implemented yet. Anyway, this is the deck:

It was a bit weird because after a few great cards at the start, the packs just seemed pretty bad. No pay-offs, not even many of the standard Good Green Creatures - at least I got a few aggressive two-drops so I can pretend this is an aggro deck.

It's at least 3-1 so far, the Keykeeper + Vigilante combo is actually p fun. Hope I can do the same thing with the Lasso at some point.

Shout-outs to the current play of the deck: they have a 2/3 and a 4/3 flier, I have a 2/2. I play Throw from the Saddle to kill the 4/3. But they have two open mana, so in response they Thunder Salvo! Except in response to THAT, I play Trash the Town for 4 with the draw 2 mode as a "bonus". The flier dies, their Salvo is wasted, and their 2/3 can't kill my newly minted 5/5 (with 2 damage on it). They don't want to chump and I get a 4 for 2.

EDIT: Oh, I also wanted to report on an LCI QD I did when it was still on.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/5bd22e9a88bc41a28d7d9070dbe453d9

This is a Jeskai format, so obviously I drafted a Golgari deck and trophied with it.

The Echoes of Dusk were MVPs: Final Striking with a lifelinker then attacking is so drat good. The self-mill worked beautifully to fuel them, or provide targets for Defossilize and Another Chance. Staggering Size is a great finisher no matter what shell you're in.

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 26, 2024

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Dipping my toe in this after being out of Magic for 20+ years and burning out on Hearthstone. Currently having a blast running through the starter deck quests and looking forward to jumping into limited draft mode which is always my favorite mode in any card game.

How does that work online? Do I need to play through all my games with the same group of people like a real-life booster draft, or can I stop and come back days later like Hearthstone Arena mode?

Asking because my gaming chunks are often pretty short.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

Sloppy posted:

Dipping my toe in this after being out of Magic for 20+ years and burning out on Hearthstone. Currently having a blast running through the starter deck quests and looking forward to jumping into limited draft mode which is always my favorite mode in any card game.

How does that work online? Do I need to play through all my games with the same group of people like a real-life booster draft, or can I stop and come back days later like Hearthstone Arena mode?

Asking because my gaming chunks are often pretty short.

The draft portion has timed picks and is done all in one sitting. After the draft you can take however long you want to build your deck and can play matches whenever you want since it matches you against everyone, not just the people you drafted with.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
You don’t play the games against your draft pod so it is okay to just do the draft and then play out the games at your leisure.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

That's perfect. Thanks guys!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Got my draft token, ended up with a BW sacrifice deck, the gameplan basically worked once and I got run over every other time, 2-3

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

In additional to what everyone else said, here's the different types of draft queue:

Traditional draft: best of three matches with sideboards, draft is timed, with 7 other people

Premier draft: best of one matches with no sideboards, draft is timed, with 7 other humans

Quick draft: best of one matches with no sideboard, draft is untimed, with 7 bots

You'll only ever play against people that entered the same draft queue as you did. Prizes differ between the queues, too.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

In additional to what everyone else said, here's the different types of draft queue:

Very helpful, thank you. Which would you recommend to someone who is very rusty? I'm initially attracted to no sideboard since that seems like it would benefit a lot from the meta knowledge I don't have yet.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I don't care what the winrate is, I like to cast reanimate in limited. make yourselves known, haters

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

^^^^ using the GY as a resource is one of the most basic but most satisfying pleasures in magic

Sloppy posted:

Very helpful, thank you. Which would you recommend to someone who is very rusty? I'm initially attracted to no sideboard since that seems like it would benefit a lot from the meta knowledge I don't have yet.
Try a Quick Draft first, it's cheaper, you don't have time pressure and the games still play out the same. You don't learn drafting as well because the bots are obviously not humans, but it's great for checking out the interface, you can discuss every pick for as long as you want, and: it's even the current set right now (rotates every other week), very convenient!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sloppy posted:

Quick to get your feet under you, but get out as soon as you can because the bots have a pretty strict pick order and are usually easily to exploit (for example, finding out what good cards they undervalue, and picking them late).

After that, either of the other two are fine. Premier is ranked so that you'll be playing against other people of your rank. Trad is unranked so you can be paired against anyone.

Regardless of what you're playing, if you're on desktop I strongly suggest getting the app at https://www.17lands.com/ which can record your drafts and games for you. It's free and lightweight and a great tool to help you improve. Sadly there's no equivalent for tablet/mobile.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Just 0-3'd a draft that I dare try out a Jeskai build where literally every. single. game. came down to me removing a major threat and see it countered by Snakeskin Veil. Was floored to see it end the second game, Vince McMahon meme reaction to see it decide the third game.

Absolute miserable experience. Deck in build felt 'ok', but crumpled to incredibly basic GWB decks.

I feel like every draft I've tried this last week has been an opponent dropping Bonny Palls and Bristly Bills and Railway Brawlers and countering my every attempt to remove them with veil and shield and counterspells, or just reanimating them the next turn. Maybe I've just been having rotten luck but this has been the worst feeling draft environment for me of the last few years.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
if you want to kill a bomb while the other player has green or white mana up, the goal is to force them to use their protection spell proactively, so you can respond with removal. force them to block a big threat you have, or multiblock the bomb. they cast their veil or take up the shield to win combat, you cast your consuming ashes or whatever in response.

If you can't maintain a board state that can bait opponents like that, then you probably have bigger problems with your drafting habits than not being passed good rares. OTJ is flush with ways to set up big attackers or blockers that require a response from the other player

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sloppy posted:

BO1 quick or premiere feels a lot nicer.

Untapped.gg overlay is fantastic. Someone recommended 17lands but it's pretty useless as draft help if you're not a major draft 10x a week pro, and as far as I know doesn't have an overlay. Plus while I'm drafting, last thing I need is a statistica chart on another monitor glancing at it trying to parse what's good and bad out of my options...

Untapped has a super helpful overlay and even a trial/paid drafting assist, but even without it super handy to be able to quickly see which cards are typically considered stinkers or great cards. It won't just make a good deck picking the best thing each time but it's a very useful starting point for each pack passed to you as you eventually accrue knowledge of the meta and draft.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
do note that untappeds draft helper only uses their own acquired data and it ends up being pretty garbage until like a week into the format. don't use it as a substitute for actually thinking about your draft, but it's a solid additional tool

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
PT showing why RW is such an underpowered combo this set. Reigning champion 0-2 with it and the matches weren't even remotely close.

freeman fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 26, 2024

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Has anyone else played against this mono black deck in Standard? A bunch of hand attack stuff and Tinybones Joins up/Kaervek? Just got absolutely demolished, neat little combo.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

fadam posted:

Has anyone else played against this mono black deck in Standard? A bunch of hand attack stuff and Tinybones Joins up/Kaervek? Just got absolutely demolished, neat little combo.

I do want to try it but only if it ends up being real, since it started as a joke skeleton typal deck iirc and I didn't want to dump the wildcards on a gimmick

that said there's apparently a two card full kill combo with one of the spree cards and a lost caverns flyer with aclazotz in its name out there so mono black might be real enough to go for it

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

flatluigi posted:

I do want to try it but only if it ends up being real, since it started as a joke skeleton typal deck iirc and I didn't want to dump the wildcards on a gimmick

that said there's apparently a two card full kill combo with one of the spree cards and a lost caverns flyer with aclazotz in its name out there so mono black might be real enough to go for it

The combo is cool, I got beaten by it. Spree does half your life rounded up damage, Bloodletter doubles damage. You need interaction (or to kill them before turn 5) but a lot of the rest of the deck is about removing that from your hand.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think the combo reads like a meme, but it might be reasonable because of how slow and light on stack interaction Domain and Worldsoul decks are and how easy it is for them to gain a shitload of life and get out of reach of conventional attacks.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

flatluigi posted:

do note that untappeds draft helper only uses their own acquired data and it ends up being pretty garbage until like a week into the format. don't use it as a substitute for actually thinking about your draft, but it's a solid additional tool

Definitely, it also helps to read the text reasoning listed, especially early on when many card evals are necessarily from pre-release. It also can't make decisions for you, and you sometimes get like an amazing 50 score blazing card... That doesn't fit with any card you have so far and no mana fixing to accommodate it.

Poking in the MtG threads is also helpful, I can't read through the pick by pick draft analysis but there's a ton of "green is good" easy info to glean as well, plus direct advice when sought.

It was cool the experts in here figured out greens power a few days earlier than the general drafting populace. I got a few good decks drafted in that window with little to no fighting over green. Then a couple days later the untapped overlay went from 0 green presence in the top 10 or 20 chosen archetypes, to basically every combo of green being up there.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Drafting Archetypes: OTJ Grixis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5UESsYieDs
Sam Black is starting with Grixis because RB and UB are underperforming, everyone is focusing on green, but he has done well with these colors. When green gets even more contested, this will be more important to know how to play.

Gameplan
These colors want to burn the opponent out. A primarily “non-attacking” style of gameplay. Creatures can be used defensively, and you get value from spells. There are a lot of cross-synergies between these colors’ mechanics (primarily crimes, outlaws, and doublespells) that create feedback loops. You want to have a lot of deserts, not just for fixing but for crime triggers. Even deserts that only have one of your colors will be worth it. Look for mechanic enabling cards at common: draw cards, kill creatures, do crimes. Your creatures are probably going to be anchored by uncommons and rares with good abilities; you don’t usually have big beaters.

You will probably be heavy in two mechanics, and that should determine your primary colors and which is a splash. Black is often where you start as it has the strongest base, and then you probably find red or blue cards that synergize with the mechanics you have. Most of these mechanics have incidental loss of life. Mercenary decks want flying, lifelink, and first strike creatures that can be pumped to push damage through. You’re usually making tokens to chump block, preventing opponent from damaging you with tricks, and gaining card advantage from draw and discard. Control gameplay through tokens and lifedrain. Prioritize cheap removal; you’ll probably chump block most big creatures.

You need to manage your life total; take some hits early to set up value if you can gain life later (black is good for this). Err towards “not attacking” unless it will be a huge swing, which might be enabled by mercenaries pumping, but leave a blocker behind. Don’t trade life unless you’re very far ahead. This archetype doesn’t really want counterspells (that’s more for Esper colors) because of the conflict with doublespell.

Key Uncommons
Blue: Nimble Brigand (unblockable curiosity), Metamorphic Blast (easy crime trigger and doublespell initiator), Slickshot Lockpicker (reusing spells)

Black: Blood Hustler (grows from crimes, lategame drain); Rakish Crew (outlaw typal blood artist); Unfortunate Accident (removal and outlaw); Unscrupulous Contractor (if you can support it by making mercenaries, plenty of value)

Red: Brimstone Roundup (mercenary generator); Longhorn Sharpshooter (direct damage)

Multicolor: Intimidation Campaign (grind value); At Knifepoint (mercenary generator); Vial Smasher, Kraum, and Slick Sequence are lower priority.

Key Commons
Blue: Take the Fall (the best common for Grixis: 1 mana crime spell that replaces itself). Loan Shark (minor doublespell advantage)

Black: Consuming Ashes and Desert’s Due (good removal, this archetype needs a lot). Raven of Fell Omens, if you’ve drafted well, should trigger every turn, Desperate Bloodseeker serves as a life cushion and crime trigger.

Red: Highway Robbery is easily banked for doublespelling; it could be the best red common, you want to dig to your good uncommons and rares in this archetype. Iron-First Pulverizer triggers crimes and benefits from doublespells, but don’t take it too highly; one or two should wheel. Explosive Derailment is solid removal.

Lands: A desert that’s half-on-color, take over most commons. Dual on-color deserts should be taken over most cards.

Thank you for this CharlieFoxtrot. OTJ bot draft started today and green is NOT open on the bots but the Grixis deck is INSANELY OPEN. I’ve been cleaning up today and the gameplay is incredible to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You do have to finish your draft games before a format rotates out of play, but that's multiple weeks. And many more for the current set draft.