Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

thespaceinvader posted:

Well it won me 3 games this draft. Which makes it my first one to do better than 1.

Still burned a token and like 5000 gems or something this set for quite a lot of just ugh really moments.

no its for sure a good card. i just think people need to recalibrate a bit in this set because otherwise it will feel like you are constantly drafting "bomb" laden decks and getting housed. the reality is cards like jasper could easily be a top 5 card in some formats but dont even get on the leader board in this one. this is a modern horizons style set with power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

If a card doesn't give you immediate value, you should be wary of rating it too highly. "I just need to untap" is not a sentence you should have to say about a modern day bomb - every serious opp will have plenty of removal in their deck, in any color, especially with this set's bonus sheet.

I recently heard that e.g. Incinerator of the Guilty had surprisingly low stats in MKM because people could just say "okay my turn I kill it". Compared to Izoni who leaves behind a bunch of stats or Ezrim who canNOT be killed if you have a brain

True, it does in fact, die to doom blade. But if it doesn't, it does a lot, very early in the game. It's also a mana cheaper than a lot of removal, which matters on the play. Its a hell of a 3-drop

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

A Moose posted:

True, it does in fact, die to doom blade. But if it doesn't, it does a lot, very early in the game. It's also a mana cheaper than a lot of removal, which matters on the play. Its a hell of a 3-drop

dies to removal without value is a real critique and dismissing it as the old "dies to doomblade" thing is indicative of not being in touch with how modern formats play out. immediate value is important

the card is good but there are 5 green commons and uncommons im snap picking ahead of it without thinking twice. if we are counting green multicolored cards that number goes to like 15

wei
Jul 27, 2006
Jasper Flint is not a bomb and BR has the 2nd worst winrate atm (tied worst excluding splashes).

Time mentioned this but there are a lot of uncommons that perform better than it, and in actual good colours

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
lmfao the timing on this rules - my opponent just lost this game after dropping jasper on curve

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Time posted:

lmfao the timing on this rules - my opponent just lost this game after dropping jasper on curve

Well duh you had large green men!!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I was happily drafting a RB crimes deck, seemed wide open, and then I opened a pack 2 Dust Animus. Unfortunately I didn't get good fixing, just two deserts and a couple incidental treasure producers. I feel like it's probably still worth splashing though. And maybe Kambal?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Not worth it for either card imo. Play the second desert's due! Don't know about the Pyromancers.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The problem with the Jasper Flint deck is that he's kill on sight. Need more ways to protect his smile.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

big scary monsters posted:

I was happily drafting a RB crimes deck, seemed wide open, and then I opened a pack 2 Dust Animus. Unfortunately I didn't get good fixing, just two deserts and a couple incidental treasure producers. I feel like it's probably still worth splashing though. And maybe Kambal?

You're not making many tokens so I'd cut Kambal and the Pyromancers for Quilled Charger and yeah, the second Desert's Due.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 18, 2024

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

wei posted:

Jasper Flint is not a bomb and BR has the 2nd worst winrate atm (tied worst excluding splashes).

Time mentioned this but there are a lot of uncommons that perform better than it, and in actual good colours

Where are you seeing this? 17Lands stats say Jasper Flint is the 16th-winningest card in the set, better than any uncommon.

I'm not good enough at the format to have an opinion worth sharing, but I'm curious where your data is coming from. I just lost a game with a sweet UG deck when my opponent's Jasper Flint stole my Bonny Pall.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Doing pretty 'eh' so far with drafts, averaging 2-3 wins, but set seems to rule. Very MOM in that there are just so. many. bombs. Tons of uncommons that go off if you don't respond immediately or force bad blocks.

Reanimator seems like the deck to beat maybe? Seems to regularly outpace removal on a good draw.

Wondering how the format will evolve, as the games go very, very bad if you don't get enough enablers in your deck. And as the set ages, those will become way more obvious. At the same time, there's just so many of them. Wicked stuff.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Chamale posted:

Where are you seeing this? 17Lands stats say Jasper Flint is the 16th-winningest card in the set, better than any uncommon.

I'm not good enough at the format to have an opinion worth sharing, but I'm curious where your data is coming from. I just lost a game with a sweet UG deck when my opponent's Jasper Flint stole my Bonny Pall.

17 lands has it in the thirties - look at game in hand win rate

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Time posted:

17 lands has it in the thirties - look at game in hand win rate

I usually go by Improvement When Drawn, is GIH a better metric? I guess GIH is better to use unless you're already committed to a colour pair.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I think those are both important metrics. I don't think it's fair to say that Laughing Jasper isn't a bomb. The issue is that, very early returns, BR is performing very badly, so that BR with one of its very best cards is only performing about as well as a completely average GB/GW deck. So I think (based on very, very early numbers) it might be right to hesitate to see if green might be open before devoting oneself completely to a B/R card, Jasper is still going to have bomb-level results in any deck that uses it.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Stagger_Lee posted:

I think those are both important metrics. I don't think it's fair to say that Laughing Jasper isn't a bomb. The issue is that, very early returns, BR is performing very badly, so that BR with one of its very best cards is only performing about as well as a completely average GB/GW deck. So I think (based on very, very early numbers) it might be right to hesitate to see if green might be open before devoting oneself completely to a B/R card, Jasper is still going to have bomb-level results in any deck that uses it.

a card is only as good as the deck it can make. a bomb is a card you build a deck around and force a color pair for. ergo,

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

look we really need a new thread title y'all. this poo poo is embarrassing. I nominate this:

Rap Game Goku posted:

Stupid Sexy Oko

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 18, 2024

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Chamale posted:

I usually go by Improvement When Drawn, is GIH a better metric? I guess GIH is better to use unless you're already committed to a colour pair.

IWD is basically useless because what it represents is how good a card is to the deck around it, or how load-bearing a card is for an otherwise mediocre deck that didn't draw it. ie, IWD represents how much better a card is, compared to the cards around it.

For example, remember this bozo?

Fairly powerful card if you untapped with it, but your deck was absolute garbage if you built your deck around it and didn't draw it. Very high IWD, immensely medium GIH win rate.

Currently, Black Red is the second lowest performing two colour pair so yeah your deck which is already underperforming will play much better when you draw the best card in your deck (and probably the main reason you got into BR in the first place).

wei
Jul 27, 2006
The best metrics to use are OH and GIH if you want one number to reference. IWD doesn't really indicate much when comparing cards with very different in-deck winrates (GP on 17lands).

Time posted:

a card is only as good as the deck it can make. a bomb is a card you build a deck around and force a color pair for. ergo,

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

My impression of this format so far is that your deck building really does not matter. It's just what bombs did you open and did your opponent get better ones. It's so absolutely bomb heavy in a way that even MOM wasn't.

wei
Jul 27, 2006
my trophy decks have had 2, 2, 1, 3, 1 and 0 rares. There's a lot of power and buildaround potential in the uncommons

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

wei posted:

my trophy decks have had 2, 2, 1, 3, 1 and 0 rares. There's a lot of power and buildaround potential in the uncommons

yeah im trophying with basically this deck over and over again. like 1-2 rares each time. i think people just see a rare that has a splashy effect in this set and think it must be a crazy bomb

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

kalel posted:

look we really need a new thread title y'all. this poo poo is embarrassing. I nominate this:

Support this because I got a Thief of Crowns p2p1 in my first draft. First time getting to play with it and it is indeed very stupid.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
First time really diving into Arena and first limited format I've given a shot since pre-pandemic.

So far I'm really digging this set. Through 3 sealeds and 2 drafts, GW seems like clearly the best combo and can easily support splashing for haymakers like Make Your Own Luck or Badlands Revival that aren't hard to come by. Just went 7-1 in a draft with GW and I think the only rare I had was Primal Command which might have been one of the worst cards in the deck.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

Time posted:

I think that's a good metric for what you take p1p1, but I think it's actively unhelpful as an attempt to center terminology, and strange to assert it as a fact. A common guideline for weaker color pairs is that you should avoid them in the absence of bomb rares. If you change "bomb" so that it doesn't apply to cards in weaker color pairs you're just leaving a semantic gap that's going to need to be filled by another word.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

IWD is basically useless because what it represents is how good a card is to the deck around it, or how load-bearing a card is for an otherwise mediocre deck that didn't draw it. ie, IWD represents how much better a card is, compared to the cards around it.

For example, remember this bozo?

Fairly powerful card if you untapped with it, but your deck was absolute garbage if you built your deck around it and didn't draw it. Very high IWD, immensely medium GIH win rate.

Currently, Black Red is the second lowest performing two colour pair so yeah your deck which is already underperforming will play much better when you draw the best card in your deck (and probably the main reason you got into BR in the first place).

It does not follow that IWD is useless. It should not be used very highly to determine P1P1 decisions, to the degree that any single stat should, but it tells you a lot of information about what's working within specific archetypes and what's not!

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Stagger_Lee posted:

I think that's a good metric for what you take p1p1, but I think it's actively unhelpful as an attempt to center terminology, and strange to assert it as a fact. A common guideline for weaker color pairs is that you should avoid them in the absence of bomb rares. If you change "bomb" so that it doesn't apply to cards in weaker color pairs you're just leaving a semantic gap that's going to need to be filled by another word.

sure lets use bomb another way - top 10 cards in the format. its not that either, there are multiple commons in more than 1 color that are better. using whatever terminology you want, the card isnt something that draws me into drafting it unless somehow i have finagled my way into a splash that doesnt hurt me.

people shouldnt be in black red at all, definitely not for this card. maybe later in the format when green and white are more contested we can revisit the pairing, but as of right now that card is a siren call to a 2-3 drop. i want a card that is actually ending the game when it comes down to be drawn into a pairing like that. a dreamtrawler, bonny pall, whatever. this is just a guy that requires a lot going your way to come online

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Do you guys think new Jace + disinformation campaign could be something? it's never been easier to surveil.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

flatluigi posted:

sounds like someone making poo poo up to force a meme

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Milling away an opponents Oko thief of crowns feels real good lemme tell you

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ono Grief of Frowns

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I'm Loco for Oko

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Milling away an opponents Oko thief of crowns feels real good lemme tell you

Have done it twice this run. Trophied in Grixis. deck was fun y'all. Got off cruel ultimatum three times, one time someone conceded and i'm pretty sure they had a very obvious play (Had the cheap dragon but no cards in hand and the mythic red mount, I was at like nine so I think if they'd saddled and swung I'd have just died). At Knifepoint also did a lot of work for me in multiple games as well, especially if you do have tinybones on the board

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So I was told to ask here even though I was mostly asking about Standard, but: I'm realizing I'm gonna need a white deck for when those daily challenges roll around; I've got a black-green Sheoldred-centric Phyrexian deck that rolls pretty well, and a red-blue pirates/artifacts deck that... kinda doesn't but it handles well enough. But for white I don't have anything that holds up.

Is an Eriette-focused auras deck, probably including both Eriettes, actually viable in Standard or Alchemy, and if so, is there a decent build for one I can find somewhere? And if not, is there an appropriately stupid deck at least partially in white that is viable? So far my decks are too honest, I think a white deck should add some bullshit.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Cleretic posted:

So I was told to ask here even though I was mostly asking about Standard, but: I'm realizing I'm gonna need a white deck for when those daily challenges roll around; I've got a black-green Sheoldred-centric Phyrexian deck that rolls pretty well, and a red-blue pirates/artifacts deck that... kinda doesn't but it handles well enough. But for white I don't have anything that holds up.

Is an Eriette-focused auras deck, probably including both Eriettes, actually viable in Standard or Alchemy, and if so, is there a decent build for one I can find somewhere? And if not, is there an appropriately stupid deck at least partially in white that is viable? So far my decks are too honest, I think a white deck should add some bullshit.

If you just need to clear the daily 500/750 gold quests with a white deck, you can do so by replaying the Starter Deck duel. No need to craft a separate deck just for dailies.

The R/W starter deck is also probably the strongest one so you can even clear out a few daily wins with it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Cleretic posted:

i don't think it's viable, but i do highly recommend throwing all your favorite cards into a historic brawl deck and using that queue to get color challenges down, especially if you already have a buildaround you want to try out

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Cleretic posted:

So far my decks are too honest, I think a white deck should add some bullshit.

You run a Sheoldred deck, you're already at peak bullshit. But if you want to run a white deck that's an absolute misery to play against for some reason, try the Three Blind Mice/Dedicated Dollmaker combo, or the Ratadravik+Boromir+any death trigger (Elas il Kor is the most popular) infinite combo in Alchemy. If the opponent allows the combo to go off, they're both highly non-interactive past that point and there's basically nothing the opponent can do to stop it once it's going (literally nothing in the case of the Boromir combo, in fact, you just play Boromir and that's game). The TBM combo even recovers more or less instantly from board wipes unless paired with an enchantment wipe (and the only enchantments wipes in Alchemy are Fade from History and Cease/Desist, neither of which see much play). I don't play either, personally, so I can't speak to their consistency, but my impression is the TBM combo is pretty brainlessly consistent, while the Boromir combo is less so, but slots into the Aragon/Jodah all-legendaries deck effortlessly and is impossible to stop once you start it. In any case, neither deck ever feels fair to play against and your opponents will hate dealing with them.

Given that TBM will, sadly, still be Alchemy-legal come September, that's probably your best bet for something to knock out missions with.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

anakha posted:

If you just need to clear the daily 500/750 gold quests with a white deck, you can do so by replaying the Starter Deck duel. No need to craft a separate deck just for dailies.

The R/W starter deck is also probably the strongest one so you can even clear out a few daily wins with it.

To be clear I also want to make a white deck, it's just that the challenges are the main motivation. And yeah, the Rebel Armory deck is really good, but it's still the weakest of the decks I complete challenges with.

Also, where do I actually find some decent brews? Three Blind Mice or Elas il-Kor seem like they're right up my alley for 'gently caress it I'ma play frustrating', but I don't know where to actually find good decks to plug into this, especially if I'm opening the door to Alchemy format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The mono-white deck I have seen in the queues the most has been the one that loops Restoration of Eiganjo to get a bunch of Plains and recycle the value creatures, sorta a throwback to Martyr Proc or Sun Titan decks of old. Serra Paragon is the Sun Titan, and you get to play Lay Down Arms because you're just running Plains.
https://mtgdecks.net/Standard/mono-white-decklist-by-yucrack21-1974991