Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I'm so pumped for a new fresh limited format and the first 2 weeks or so when Standard is open and interesting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Onehandclapping posted:

I'm aware, in both drafts if I dragged a card to my selection pile, the card sometimes vanished. It still picked it, but I couldn't mouse over it or see it in my pile, so I had to by vague memory for some stuff.

Something extremely weird happened in my first draft where I opened a Jaya planeswalker, I dragged it over and it transformed into a Monstrous War-Leech

Unless I’m completely losing my mind this occurred. Gonna file a ticket for it.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

I've had this, thought I misclicked but then the original card appeared in my draft pool at the end

Good christ that just happened! Jaya is back! But it totally derailed my draft and I went in a completely different direction. Christ.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Well, credit to WOTC they immediately refunded my gems. But I'm bummed I don't get to play with Jaya in this draft.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Very early on but it feels like the limited format is very slow - lots of board stalls due to tons of walls and tokens, so evasion is at a premium.

The fixing is out of control, I played a Sultai deck with a white splash and never had any mana issues because I had 5 dual lands. We'll see if aggro is fast enough to take advantage of more Durdley decks.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I think I discovered what I like about limited formats and it’s if I can run a super greedy Temur type deck where I ramp out a shitload of lands and drop big beefy idiots. And I can absolutely do that in Dominaria United.

That green bear that can be kicked for for an Impulse rocks. Tatyova rocks.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I love MonoB. I am playing MonoB while I gather up the rares I need for this set. But. I want a MonoB/Rakdos meta beater deck right now.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Am I a scrub or is Salvaged Manaworker an awesome include in this format? There aren't that many great two drops, its colorless, the 3 toughness is relevant and the mana fixing is great. I've found having one in my decks is super nice, almost always.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I may be a scrub who everyone clowns on, but if I get a draft with Sheoldred, The Cruelty of Gix *and* Defiler of Vigor?? Well, I can get 7 wins, my friends.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Man, I truly love this draft format but it is challenging as hell. Really getting a read on when to prioritize lands is such a mindbend, its not great if you're getting all your domain pay offs and you end up not able to get the dual lands to make the deck work!

Great stuff, kudos to WOTC on this one.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

What’s a good rule of thumb for how many tap lands are too many? If I’m just hoovering up all the domain lands in draft - when do I want to cut myself off before I am having waaaay too many and I’ll be too far behind in tempo?

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

My opening opponent in the sealed event has TWO Cruelty of Gix’s…uh??? mods???

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

A Moose posted:

I'm so tired of eternal spoiler season. "hey gently caress those lovely cards you already bought, get a look at THESE new cards! Pretty awesome huh? Well you can't get them yet so please go out and hype them up". It would be one thing if we could trust that they knew how to make interesting standard environments, but the biggest standard deck showed up immediately after release. It took 0 days to figure out that putting all the good black cards in 1 deck was miles better than basically anything else, except basically the same deck, but splashing red for Fable too.

I'm wondering if giving Black access to enchantment removal was a mistake, given how powerful Invoke is. I mean, its only one small part of why Black is powerful right now, but its a real haymaker and I've found casting an Invoke to remove a pesky Saga come up quite a bit and get a 3-for-1, and its something that's very new.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This is the first time I've ever felt overwhelmed by the amount of options available for Limited Magic. I don't know though....I find myself uninterested in Alchemy Dominaria or adjusted SNC - the modified SNC would have been more fun and fitting at the end of its natural set life, now I just have no interest in revisiting it.

I've really enjoyed Dom U limited as challenging as it is. I just recently had a draft where I opened with the white Defiler and found myself backed into a Red-White splash Black aggro deck, figuring that I'd probably get run over by the ubiquitous Domain decks and got my first Trophy with an aggro deck. It really is a great format.

40 lbs to freedom posted:

i dont have numbers but just lke every set ever i basically feast on noobs undefeated until like plat and then start losing and go to constructed to preserve my ego and gems

This is pretty much my experience lmao

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

I think I'm ready for Bro War, is this enough F2P gold? Also how does my vault progress look :five:

Trying to think of how long it would take a F2P player to accumulate 1,000,000 gold just from daily quests

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I'm so pumped for Brothers War limited, I'm feeling very done with the formats available

And I know this is a quicker schedule than usual! I'm the pig begging from the slop from WOTC!

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

When prototype creatures are on the battlefield, is their Mana Value the prototype cost or the full mana cost?

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

My initial thoughts on the format (perhaps not worth much!) but powerstones are not as commonly available as expected, but there are lots of ways to use them. I find 1, 2 maybe 3 are around a game, and plenty of mana sinks and big things to use them.

Synergy isn't as important as DomU, but card quality and card advantage is much more important.

Decking is definitely a possibility as theres lots of self-mill and deck churning.

Removal is more important than it was in DomU.

Fixing is very different because there aren't common dual lands, but tons of artifact ways to filter mana. The Old Artifacts almost always play a pretty important role, as either important role players or bombs. I Had To Hand It to an opponent who dropped a Blackblade Reforged and equipped it for its full mana cost in a turn after ramping, and doming me for 11.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I suspected Gaea's Gift was gonna be pretty good, if only because getting 4 keywords and a +1/+1 counter on one card is crazy. Yeah, it's two mana, and two mana tricks aren't usually the best, but there's so many applications there.

I've also felt the same as CoC that the Aeronaut Cavalry does work. It almost always puts a counter on something and its usually the biggest thing in the air.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Ok, discovered real fast that Sardinian Cliffstomper is really not something you want to put in a two color deck (or perhaps any deck)

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I've only played three drafts so far but have really enjoyed it so far. Haven't run into too many mind-destroying bombs yet, so I can't really judge how bomb-y the set feels.

It does seem like a fun cat-and-mouse game between aggro decks and slower rampy decks, if that balance holds, its a good format.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I beat a resolved Platoon Dispenser and resolved Portal to Phyrexia with a low to the ground R/W deck.....one of my greatest accomplishments

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Has anyone else had issues queue'ing into a game today? Played one game and then several minutes in the queue.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Ugh, I feel like I wasted 1,500 gems because I queued up what I thought was a Brothers War premier draft but it turns out it was the Bro Alchemy draft....which good lord is just an unbalanced mess.

I liked the idea of 'rebalanced' set drafting as a curiosity, but the Alchemy drafts are just atrocious. It's the set plus a bunch of broken cards in every draft. What a miserable experience.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Achievement unlocked: I milled someone out with Gix’s second, almost never used ability, after the board stalled out.

BRO is a format that’s way faster than everyone expected but I’ve also seen more incidental mill wins/losses when boards stall and nobody can break through

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

They're seeding a lot more 'equipment matters' in W/R than usual, and with the For Mirrodin! Equipment it will be interesting to see if it actually plays.

It probably wont, but I'll give it a try at least once!

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I know others have found them annoying, and there certainly are some animations that go on for too long, but I am sad that it seems like animations in general have gotten phased out.

Have there been any special animations for cards since Midnight Hunt or so? I can't think of any.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Opened The Wanderer in my first two drafts so I did everything I could to force white (and I think I made at least one good W/G deck when I was passed three copies of the signpost uncommon). Either I'm terrible (and I am) or this format is blisteringly fast because I was barely able to get her on the board in 12 games (went 3-3, 3-3)

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I haven't been able to play as much in the last couple weeks and was wondering why people were feeling so down on the limited format but then I got to play some more today and after an opponent slammed a Nissa on a board I was ahead on and I realized there was literally not a single card in my deck that could get me back in the game, I started to realize why people aren't super into this draft format.

Ohhh...the token making ability *ticks up*. Well. If I cant remove her from the board literally this turn it's over. Thats fun!

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I can already tell this is a much more fun format than the last set, so thats good

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

Me and this set are in a fight in silver going 1-3, 1-3, and 0-3 to start.

I won't pretend to be good or average but feels bad man.

Yeah I am getting my poo poo rocked in this format. I haven't done the in depth dive into the cards with LoL like I usually do, but woooo boy.

I think I underestimated how many decisions you have to make in this set - there's always a ton of things to do and lots of "cardboard rectangles" lying around. I think I've been making too many decisions without thinking it through, whether to sac artifacts lying around or to wait and craft with them, or use them in other ways.

It feels a lot like Kaldheim in that there's a ton of Stuff to keep track of. Hopefully that will come more naturally with using the cards more.

I've definitely underestimated Blue given how bad its been in recent sets. There was one game where they plopped down the 2 mana vigilance flyer, stuck that Aura that makes it a base 5/4 and killed me in 3 turns. I was completely unprepared for it. Oh. drat, ok! I guess you can do that!

Mike N Eich fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 17, 2023

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

One thing I do if I feel like I'm on a bad run in draft is just switch to playing a bit of constructed. It takes the pressure off because its much less punishing to lose a couple of games in Ladder than it is to bomb a draft and lose 1,500 gems.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

kalel posted:

finally got the opportunity to ~whoopsiedaisy~ pick up a fabrication foundry and get my free draft.

it's kind of like opening a fetchland or something in paper, you just take it because you know the rest of the draft is comped (e: the first time at least)

Oh! Is that what happens?? What the hell happened there? I saw this show up in a draft and it was highlighted in red and I passed it because I had no idea if the draft was bugged or something (and the card seemed relatively low power for a rare?)

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I struggled mightily to start the format (I started 1-3, 4-3, 1-3, 1-3) and finally Trophied by committing to 'gently caress it, lets do aggro' and built a mean, lean Boros deck.

The LoL guys are right that 1 drops in this format matter more than they ever have before. There are limits to it, but because there's so much explore, so many decent equipments and +1/+1 counters flying around, slapping them on a 1 drop or a flyer can be a real problem before anyone notices.

Finally feel like I enjoy the format, good stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Ok, it took me a few weeks to get it, but I figured out how to succeed (at least for myself) in MKM draft: 3+ color Green based soup decks. Draft all the bombs, don't worry about the colors, get a bunch of fixing, and win.

I kept trying to make lean decks, sometimes aggro (though RW aggro was rarely there for me), but these kind of decks often are.