Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is there a separate thread for MTG Spellslinger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

goodness posted:

I have enough currency for 5 drafts. I am prepared to lose them all and still have fun

I have 4 event tokens from the bundle plus 3 (soon to be 4) drafts' worth of currency, we'll see how long that lasts me lol.

I will start as usual with Sealed and see how things go from there

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It feels like another lifetime that I thought I could keep up with the top 1200 when even the pros who have played for years are fighting tooth and nail on the last day lol

https://twitter.com/h0lydiva/status/1565030691754196994

Maybe I will leave behind all that bad energy. New thread, new day

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I found it ironic that the "team america" deck was not jeskai but sultai

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

as we are about 10m from launch, be aware poo poo's gonna crash constantly, so enter as many drafts as you can so you get the cards from the draft then the gems from the reimbursement

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hmm I should put revel in riches in my hbrawl deck, I've already gotten a halo fountain win

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lol i had to click through like 5 screens of opening stuff.

Time to crack open my sealed pool...!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think my first deck in DMU is... the Defender deck...?!

Event #1 (Sealed)

https://www.17lands.com/deck/910962373c6b41be80fc7b03d21b984d

I had a lot of defender cards, but seeing the Walking Bulwark and Shield-Wall Sentinel was what made this seem actually viable? The lands I opened made a blue splash basically "free" for BG, which enables Vineshaper Prodigy's kicker. If I'm dabbling there might as well get Combat Research which has the most upside? I have the UB uncommon legend but it seems like it would just be a bear in this deck.

The other thing I could consider would be W instead of U. I have a lot of black cards that have powerful W kickers and the three Samites would make playing the Cleric lord potentially viable, plus the Queen... it is a bit more commitment though and I don't know the power level justifies it?

Edit: hmm lords of limited gave Combat Research a D, i guess that makes sense, also i only have two fliers that would make good use of it. I guess I'll play the writhing necromass, and uh vohar? I guess looting is decent enough trinket text

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 1, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think my first deck in DMU is... the Defender deck...?!

Event #1 (Sealed)

https://www.17lands.com/deck/910962373c6b41be80fc7b03d21b984d

I had a lot of defender cards, but seeing the Walking Bulwark and Shield-Wall Sentinel was what made this seem actually viable? The lands I opened made a blue splash basically "free" for BG, which enables Vineshaper Prodigy's kicker. If I'm dabbling there might as well get Combat Research which has the most upside? I have the UB uncommon legend but it seems like it would just be a bear in this deck.

The other thing I could consider would be W instead of U. I have a lot of black cards that have powerful W kickers and the three Samites would make playing the Cleric lord potentially viable, plus the Queen... it is a bit more commitment though and I don't know the power level justifies it?

Edit: hmm lords of limited gave Combat Research a D, i guess that makes sense, also i only have two fliers that would make good use of it. I guess I'll play the writhing necromass, and uh vohar? I guess looting is decent enough trinket text

Game 1: I think this was winnable but I did not sequence creatures correctly and I gave up my Blight Pile to the black knight's onboard trick.
Game 2: I got locked down by stun counters and Djinn plus Firestorm ended it
Game 3: against rkpost?! clockwork drawbridge stalled me out for quite a few turns. i think they punted by thinking they could activate aron, benalia's ruin as a combat trick, but it had summoning sickness. Mossbeard Ancient clomped in and Blight pile finished things off. Combat research would definitely not have done anything in this deck lol. But the looting was actually super useful
Game 4: I got screwed on black mana which this deck actually needs a ton of even though it's equal with green cards on paper lol. My battlefly swarm was holding back 8/8 territorial maro but they sniped it out. Radha + Defiler of Vigor + Elvish Hydromancer overran. Also I punted while writing this by not chumping the maro with a saproling lol

1-3

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Event #2

https://www.17lands.com/draft/c1e8e3025db74878a7526ac2491ec0e9

Opened Shivan Devastator, kept getting passed Ghitu Amplifiers so I valued cheap instants more highly. Some white came my way and I tentatively picked some cards up but that didn't seem to come together. Felt #blessed when Balmor and Najal showed up in pack 3.

It feels like Jaya's Firenado is too chonky for this deck and that I'm probably going to tempo enemies out and get their creatures in combat? Rona's Vortex, even without kicker, seems like it might be more useful, and I think I can slot in a Swamp just in case? Sprouting Goblin seems good to facilitate domain and draw if games stall out.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Izzards rock :supaburn:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Event #2

https://www.17lands.com/draft/c1e8e3025db74878a7526ac2491ec0e9

Opened Shivan Devastator, kept getting passed Ghitu Amplifiers so I valued cheap instants more highly. Some white came my way and I tentatively picked some cards up but that didn't seem to come together. Felt #blessed when Balmor and Najal showed up in pack 3.

It feels like Jaya's Firenado is too chonky for this deck and that I'm probably going to tempo enemies out and get their creatures in combat? Rona's Vortex, even without kicker, seems like it might be more useful, and I think I can slot in a Swamp just in case? Sprouting Goblin seems good to facilitate domain and draw if games stall out.

2-3, feels bad.

I had some pretty good games but two losses were to me continuously misplaying, unable to add single digit numbers together to do combat math correctly, and falling for common tricks. It felt like it could have been a good deck, too. I will stop for now to prevent things from getting worse

Edit: writing this to remind myself not to make my kavu 1 toughness when opponent has a tapped 1/1 token and green mana up

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 1, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Event #3

https://www.17lands.com/draft/b2b00654381b443895ef9d0681438c33
I'll play this one tomorrow. Opened Balmor in a pack with Urza Assembles the Titans as the rare, so I thought I would try to force Izzards again. (Maybe Fires of Victory was the pick there?) This one seems a bit less consistent than my previous one, fewer cheap instants, fewer amplifiers, and also no mythic dragon lol. But Baird + Balmor synergy seems potentially good? I remember in SNC the warnings about having too many different gold 2-drops but I probably want to play Balmor and Baird later anyway. I will probably not use Sylex correctly lol, warping my gameplay around a sweeper always has me making more bad decisions than usual

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

If you want to play the UR deck then instead of taking random off colour garbage like you did in pack 1, you want to take the cantrips like Joint Exploration, Impulse, and to a lesser extent Thrill of Possibility

Which were the random off color garbage cards in pack 1?

Keldon Strike Team was red at least and it seems playable. I should probably cut Stenn though, I might have to play Volshe Tideturner I guess?

Edit: on further reflection it's not worth playing Baird here either I think, I will cut out white (leaving the dual land for strike team kicker/domain i guess). Might as well run a maindeck Negate, marginal upside with all the other instants matter stuff here might make it worthwhile i think

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 1, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Picks where you took a random off colour garbage and what I'd have taken

p1p4 Impulse
p1p11 Impulse
p2p1 Timely Interference
p2p2 Geyser (Meria's Outrider isn't off-colour but def not what you want for this deck)
p2p3 Picker or Thrill
p2p6 Bellow
p2p9 Drake
p2p10 Impede Momentum
p3p1 Scatter or Timely (they both wheeled lmao)
p3p8 Drake

ok you said pack 1

In pack 2 i was still hedging on whether I needed to move out, also a couple of misclicks but yeah i get it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lmao what

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I'm holding off on playing out that other draft until tomorrow so I spent some time with a new Standard deck

Went 7-7 in testing. My initial thoughts:

The curve of Delver, Balmor, Ledger Shredder + Instant feels great when it lines up, especially with a flipped Delver. I feel like with 21 instants Delver has a solid chance of flipping here.

Past the initial turns, the reach of the deck is with Bloodthirsty Adversary on 5, and Eruth and Battlewing Mystic to refill the hand. Maybe the Djinn would be better than Mystic but I'm not ready to spend WCs on it lol, in any case 3 mana for a 2/1 flier and draw two cards seems good. Eruth has good synergy with connive -- if you're hellbent you just draw 2 and don't have to discard anything (missing out on counters perhaps but by the time Eruth is out the Shredders are usually 3/5 or higher already). Also 2/4 body is pretty good to trample in with.

Fading Hope is for tempoing out big creatures. Slip out the Back is protection or to phase out a flying blocker. Play with Fire and Consider are no-brainers (they're played in the Historic Wizards deck). Abrade and Lightning Strike split, for face damage and for dealing with artifacts -- I think 1/3 of the opponents i faced were Anvil decks so I think it's worth maindecking lol.

While typing this up I think that Otherworldly Gaze might be worth putting in?

Edit: aw yiss

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 2, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I tuned into Sam Black's stream just to see him go 2-3, which tbh is kind of a morale boost.

All the streamers are basically marathoning 12+ hours of this huh

Edit: it sounds like Defender Bird Generators is his early favorite archetype

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 2, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

EmotionlessThug posted:

6-3 with my first draft playing a domain deck. Lost to Tatyova twice. Takeaway: Domain might be good, Tatyova is definitely good

edit lmao he regrowthed the weatherseed treaty again the next turn and read ahead

edit 2: oh he actually lost... wow

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 2, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Holy crap that Jeskai sweeper looks busted

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

In draft sorry

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/Chord_O_Calls/status/1565337315022516226?t=ERMsEDgfQJ7Hz-TTEHclYA&s=19

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

In constructed land the Legends Tribal deck seems really sweet... Maybe after doing all the drafts I'll see how many WCs i can spare

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The new set seems fun so far

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I've watched so much Jim Davis that I immediately heard "movin' on up"

Anyway, UR spells seems good but I am probably biased

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

this motherfucker has 9+ defender critters and boatloads of removal, a pseudo-constructed deck

I mean my flooding out for SEVEN STRAIGHT TURNS didn't help but they killed the poo poo out of me with bird tokens

Yeah the smoke on the street is that Wingmantle Chaplain is the mythic uncommon of the set lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

This ended up being the final version of the deck, cut all the white (it wouldn't have really played anyway)

5-3. I guess if i had drafted less garbage, as mentioned, it could have gone further?

It played pretty well regardless. Drake was a fine thing to drop on 3 and pose a threat, helped opponents commit to the board and then Sylex would get them (though I did run into an opp with Steelcrusher who just dealt with it easy lol). Mystic was good for endgame gas. Sprouting Goblin is very good. Outrider felt like filler here. Micromancer is great for getting Flowstone Infusion -- Interference as a face-up trick not so much lol

I have 7.5 drafts left in the hopper, I think I can keep going

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Event #4

https://www.17lands.com/draft/1ee1121c04e24577b1db09ccd58d0e20

I uh... think this is a deck lol? I found it pretty tricky to navigate so I'm sure there's something super obvious I missed. I basically remember the post that said Tatyova was good and since I already had a Llanowar Loamspeaker I thought "hey that works", and that point I started picking up things that were just one pip extra color, and snowballed into "I guess I need full domain for this." I think there should be enough fixing for this to work? The extra RG lands were a waste since I just need it for Rith lol. The other big choice was P3P1 which had Phyrexian Missionary and Liliana of the Veil, Lili had two black pips and the tier lists were rating Missionary higher regardless so I went with the latter

Edit: that basic mountain is now a RG land. 7 plains (8 white sources total) / 1 island (i feel like I need this because Scout the Wilderness only gets basic lands) / 5 forest (8 green sources total)

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 2, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

EmotionlessThug posted:

Takeaway: Domain might be good, Tatyova is definitely good

Domain might be good, Tatyova is definitely good

That was exhausting, I kept on having to remind myself "they're the beatdown just stay alive" lol

I emoted "nice" when they used Phyrexian Missionary to get back their Vodalian Mindsinger but then noticed autotapper screwed them out of recasting it, I guess I seemed like an rear end in a top hat in hindsight if they had emotes on lol

I should take a break and pace myself

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I passed a Love Song of Night and Day... symmetrical effects scare me and "each draw 2" seems bad?

I guess you could always skip that one

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Event #4

https://www.17lands.com/draft/1ee1121c04e24577b1db09ccd58d0e20

I uh... think this is a deck lol? I found it pretty tricky to navigate so I'm sure there's something super obvious I missed. I basically remember the post that said Tatyova was good and since I already had a Llanowar Loamspeaker I thought "hey that works", and that point I started picking up things that were just one pip extra color, and snowballed into "I guess I need full domain for this." I think there should be enough fixing for this to work? The extra RG lands were a waste since I just need it for Rith lol. The other big choice was P3P1 which had Phyrexian Missionary and Liliana of the Veil, Lili had two black pips and the tier lists were rating Missionary higher regardless so I went with the latter

Edit: that basic mountain is now a RG land. 7 plains (8 white sources total) / 1 island (i feel like I need this because Scout the Wilderness only gets basic lands) / 5 forest (8 green sources total)

3-3. The two games where I drew Tatyova felt great, one of the other wins was the opponent being mana screwed. Everything else, I got flooded and died. Opps seemed to have endless stacks of removal. Oh well

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Event #5

https://www.17lands.com/draft/720f13cb19564e918ca9eb88525e2152
Opening a Lightning Strike in a pack without anything else very good, and then an Electrostatic Infantry pushed me in the spells direction. Blue was there well enough, but after initial powerful red cards there wasn't much else, I didn't get the fixing early and it dried up, and Raff, Weatherlight Captain wheeling tempted me to consider White.

After looking at this, the white picks I got don't seem to jive very well? I don't think Wingmantle Chaplain will work with just two Defenders... I also got two Micromancers and only got two 1-mv spells so I guess one of those wizards is staying home. Theoretically I could be Azorius with a red splace

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Interesting, yeah that makes a lot of sense and I can see the UR version being a lot cleaner.

Bumping up the estimation of counterspells makes sense here, especially when I can keep mana efficiency with Impulse I think.

Also I guess 16 lands makes more sense? I have felt like I have been flooding in previous decks but I didn't want to let that influence me here. I think I defaulted to 17 because of a seemingly beefy top-end but of course the Tolarian Terror(s) should cost like 4 in reality.

I lost the last game of my last draft by someone just dinking me with Haunting Figment + a cantrip every turn and I couldn't do anything about it lol, let's see if that card works here

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

3-3. blergh. A number of misplays (lol using timely interference when my only attacker was a flier) and also felt mana screwed a bunch but that's probably just variance I guess.

UB seems incredibly powerful, or maybe it's just more memorable to me because this is the second draft in a row I've been knocked out by someone grinding me into the dust with Phyrexian Ragers and Haunting Figments while holding 10 kill spells

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I took a break, had some dinner, cracked open a beer, and did the draft I'll fire off tomorrow lol

Event #6

https://www.17lands.com/draft/b7fadddf227045829c3d129089cb79be

Maybe I was influenced by my most recent comment about UB decks but I ended up building one. I started with some W cards but when I saw what I was getting I didn't want to get stuck between lanes like I felt I did in the previous drafts.

The deck's gameplan is card advantage -- drawing cards while making the opponent discard, potent removal to clear out threats and then get in with Tolarian Terrors/fliers/unblockables. It looks pretty clean to me, but I still need to make two cuts lol. The lowest-quality cards might be some of the creatures but I also just need bodies? Are the sagas too finicky? They seem powerful.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I cut a land and the second Phyrexian Espionage. Early days yet... but this seems to hum

Rona pinging for 5-6 a game, 5/5s for 2, yeah I'll take that.

I fired off both sagas in the first game and they did some good work. Getting a hang of actually using Read Ahead -- I started Zhalfir on 2 so I protected Rona, they had one turn to scramble, and then the nuke went off plus I could immediately play a 5/5 on a board full of 2/2s. Even though they had more creatures I still felt ahead, also making them all tokens turned unkicked Rona's Vortex and Tolarian Geyser into pure removal spells. With the Braids Saga I didn't need them to discard so I started on 2, paying 2B for Regrowth, kill a token was decent enough for a card

Edit: well spoke too soon of course, lol.. Game 3, selesnya tokens get bigger from zhalfir and they just overran me on 4 anyway lol

Game 4 was a real tester, managed to clinch things out by shuffling instants around and chaining them with impulse for final pings, I was prepared to Zhalfir but realized I could win without giving them another turn, I finally read Vohar's text and got how the two parts synergized lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 3, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

4-3. Last beat felt really bad lol, for my card advantage gameplan I was somehow always down 3 cards against Simic and I was too pinched to use Zhalfir in a productive way, it was so telegraphed they just played around it and had a bunch of beefers I couldn't do anything about lmao

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Event #7

https://www.17lands.com/draft/c68c3e27ce3445808504ef9d73f1bb87

Opened Balmor in a pack with a weak rare so UR spells it is again lol. I guess I could have taken Cut Down to stay more open.

Opened a Grixis mythic pack 3 and I lucked out having picked an RB dual land earlier just in case. I thought the archetype wasn't fully there by pack 3 and was wondering whether I would have to play some of the speculative white card or red lowtier filler... but then I got passed Lightning Strikes on 2, 6(!?) and 9(?!?!?!?!) and Electrostatic Infantry on 4 and literal last pick lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 3, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Read this after taking two losses. I cut the Vineshapers but did not do anything else since out of all my problems, casting Sol-Kanar on curve was not one of them.

Lost again to Defiler of Vigor, oh well

2-3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Running this one tomorrow.

Event #8

https://www.17lands.com/draft/97602e7d046645c88539df8799e0affd

Opened a Valiant Veteran and wanted to try it. I have two Benalish Sleepers and a couple of other Soldier makers. Baird splashed in for synergy, if both are out that's a 2/2 every turn. Other Orzhov cards to round things out: black kill and sacrifice stuff that might enable Necromass at the top end, white lifegain (to balance out the toxic abominations, this deck would probably be better if I could have gotten better filler than that lol) protection, and tapping. A number of cards with blue kickers so a couple of blue duals for that. Honestly the creature count seems too shaky to run Bone Splinters... but maybe better here than Fires of Victory?