Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

magic fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

ty and cheers to munckin and posters itt like him who make helpful and efficient limited posts casue im not a 4 hour youtube/podcast kind of guy but also i dont want to totally toilet my draft tokens every release

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

constructed wise doesnt seem like a very control friendly set or did i miss anything obvious? blue seems kind of bad in general and creatures are really strong. no real u/w finisher either.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

ive also never seen this art and its insanely bad rear end

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

wotc putting these fugly borders on the kick rear end glass lands has my brain in an absolute pretzel

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

control is always weakest just after rotation before they get all their toys.

always forget this widsom. remember when dimir control with that 5 mana ward dragon was good? lol.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

How do you feel about Haughty Djinn and Serra Paragon?

they might be good for now just like the blue ward dragon was last rotation but i dont think theyre nearly strong enough (compared to like dream trawler and shark typhoon etc). i doubt theyll print anything that strong with hullbreaker still legal but hullbreaker is also low key fuckin bad and also totally unfun to play with

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

i dont know if its the best but gw has been fun af for me. white has so much removal. also the green 6/6 that puts counters on everything when you play a green card is so stupid

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

this set seems way more intuitive than past sets to me. idk if im just getting lucky but im typically p average and my drafts so far have been successful. the synergy is pretty obvious and i typically "get" what kind of deck i should be making with colors. more advanced drafters might find that boring probably but it makes me feel Smart.

also yeah still havent played constructed this set but ive lost every limited game where opp resolves sheoldred. lots of the white and black removal hits her but i never seem to have the right card when shes on board

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

will read that long post in a minute cause it seems helpful but after a handfull of drafts my observations are that you either need 1000 pieces of removal or draft green but preferably both

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

everyone is playing the monob deck because it doesnt need rare lands and is mostly old cards while every other deck needs like 16 rare lands alone on top of everything else. people think its strong because discarding feels bad and its everywhere and maybe it is but its also like day 5 of the format

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

meanwhile ive been trying to make uw work in standard and it just doesnt it sucks so so bad but that wont stop me from trying against every single other deck playing 4 fables and 4 trespassers

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

black is just really good right now. having a good time with an esper controlly midrange deck ive been using. ive been starting to feel like although the white cards are really good at face value atm are kind of bad and bait in control shells. wedding announcement buys a little time but tear asunder/invoke despair/that one werewolf creature are literally everywhere. wandering emperor is gas but doing the -2 on trespasser feels terrible and no one attacks with sheoldred when u have 4 mana up. farewell owns i have nothing bad to say about that card.

anyways i might cut white back but with all that said even with cut down raffine is gas and imo void rend is super underrated with all these trespassers and other ward creatures running around. hard to decide if white is worth it rn, dunno if there are other cards im forgetting

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

reignonyourparade posted:

Fable isn't going to eat a ban because broadly speaking people LIKE what it's been doing to the format. Midrange valuetown opens up space for a LOT of different decks within midrange valuetown and Fable is a giant part of that. Like when Divide by Zero ate a ban for Alrund Epiphany and Hullbreaker Horror's sins, it wasn't just because Divide by Zero was a really good card, it was because people loving hated what the blue decks were doing to the format.

fable can eat my dick balls and rear end op

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

youre literally braindead if you dont put bankbuster in your deck and fable is so ubiquitous people splash red for it alone but hyeah lets ban the card at random not even all black decks play for reasons we cant even articulate

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

flatluigi posted:

i thought their reasoning in the article was fine? it's still played a lot and it's made playing any small creature deck over the last year hell. still gotta fear farewell but at least you're not actively hosed if you want to play tokens anymore

i think fable is annoying but i think it's going to be less of an issue with meathook gone, since people will be incentivized to play more decks with smaller creatures and that'll make maindecking more direct/single-target removal for small creatures more reasonable. bankbuster is a solid card but i think it's silly to call it bannable

i think there are plenty of other reasons why aggro sucks rear end right now with meathook being like #9 on the list and banning it just makes problematic cards in the format even more problematic. idk what world youre living in where you think this will make fable worse do you feel good using a whole card to remove a fable token? do you tihink wedding announcement and wandering emperor needed to be even stronger than they already are? single target removal has never seemed worse as long as ive been on arena (graveyard trespasser sanctuary warden titan of industry ao etc etc) and i dont think lacking meathook makes it any better?? also the only good single removal is infernal grasp which is also still black anways????????

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

if banning meathook changes anything at all ill come in this thread with my hand up and be the first to say im dumb and wrong but i dont think itll do anytbjng to make any of these bxx midrange decks any less godlike or make any of the aggro creatures any less bad .

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

keep that hand amd if you dont draw red by turn 2 concede and dismantlye the whole deck

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

never mulligan in constructed believe in the heart of the cards

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

i dont have numbers but just lke every set ever i basically feast on noobs undefeated until like plat and then start losing and go to constructed to preserve my ego and gems

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

just looked at some bro spoilers and black is getting some insane cards.............

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

dont forget demonic tutor

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

back to explorer gandalf for the next couple weeks but im excited af for this new set. seems like this standard run was really short but overall i enjoyed it

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

thats what happens when wotc doesnt put control enders in their sets. you think you hate dream trawler or whatever because you think its snatching victory from you automatically on turn 10 but in actuality you lost as soon as you hit turn 10 against control anyways whether you knew it or not. you should have conceded 20 turns ago but didnt have the out so your pride doesnt let you.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

im tired as gently caress my rares were terrible i ended up just putting a billion red/green/artifact creatures in a deck and went undefeated bronze kicks rear end

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

two tef5s at the same time man

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

ive had much better luck with standard brawl vs historic as far as people auto conceding plus not every deck has 10 cards dedicated to paradox engine miserable wincon

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

my first draft i went blue/black cause no one was taking it but now i know why no one was taking it.

next i went white red aggro but that turned out to not really be a thing and got 4 wins. drafted the new emporer and never drew it. sad!

next i went white black and got six wins. this is apparently a thing. i drafted the new kaya and resolved it once. opp instant conceded

i dont know how yall draft green cards i dont think ive ever seen one. i have like 8 more wins until i break out of gold and 0-3 every draft so looking forward to try and find one

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

has anyone played explorer/standard since the set drop? i know its early but cards seem kinda weak and not v important

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Just Golgari Toxic things.
Deck
4 Venerated Rotpriest (ONE) 192
9 Swamp (ONE) 264
3 Anoint with Affliction (ONE) 81
4 Bilious Skulldweller (ONE) 83
3 Bloated Contaminator (ONE) 159
9 Forest (ONE) 266
3 Pestilent Syphoner (ONE) 103
3 Necrogen Communion (ONE) 99
4 Infectious Inquiry (ONE) 97
3 Tear Asunder (DMU) 183
3 Infectious Bite (ONE) 172
2 Feed the Infection (ONE) 93
2 Vraska's Fall (ONE) 116
1 The Hunter Maze (ONE) 253
1 The Dross Pits (ONE) 251
1 Mirrex (ONE) 254
3 Thirsting Roots (ONE) 185
2 Path of Peril (VOW) 124

Most-winning combo: On the play, T1 Rotpriest, T2 Necrogen Communion into opponent concedes after getting slapped for 4 poison tokens. =P

Now I can finally tear the drat deck apart and improve it beyond the crazy idea I had after that first draft.

having not played this at all the simic and selesnya versions that ive seen seem better but ill give it a spin

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

ive been playing this bo1 uw control standard deck i saw crokeyz use/build and its so loving stupid. im like 10-0 and every concession i can tell opp wants to loving die

Deck
4 Syncopate (DAR) 67
4 Plains (ONE) 272
4 March of Otherworldly Light (NEO) 28
4 Island (ONE) 273
4 Silver Scrutiny (DMU) 65
4 White Sun's Twilight (ONE) 38
4 Union of the Third Path (BRO) 31
4 Depopulate (SNC) 10
3 Memory Deluge (MID) 62
2 Devious Cover-Up (GRN) 35
4 Mindsplice Apparatus (ONE) 63
1 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire (NEO) 268
1 Otawara, Soaring City (NEO) 271
4 Deserted Beach (MID) 260
4 Adarkar Wastes (DMU) 243
2 Field of Ruin (THB) 242
2 Raffine's Tower (SNC) 254
1 Spara's Headquarters (SNC) 257
4 Seachrome Coast (ONE) 258

Only registered members can see post attachments!

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

after some testing....................

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

deck is still loving stupid in bo1

ive never had a higher winrate over this many games in my life

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

I've played against a couple of these with simic poison and have been able to get under them with poison before they went off, I was wondering what the game plan was.

early game survival for the deck is based off lifegain and counterspells rather than making blockers so yeah if simic toxic is on the play and has a couple phase out/hexproof spells its basically an impossible matchup. you lose with 30 life on turn 5 unless you get lucky and are able to resolve a board wipe/march.

with the lifegain and card draw built in the game plan is basically to prolong the game as long as you need for the opponent to run out of gas and to leverage mindsplice with syncopate/silver scrutiny/whitesun. eventually you can draw so many cards and gain so much life youre able to just let your opponent to full on attack you and resolve huge creatures while you draw until you find the whitesun/depopulate. the primary wincon is technically poison tokens but id guess 98% of my games are won from the opponent just conceding by turn 10. the longest games are typically with superfriends-type decks where opp thinks theyve won because they have elspeth, teferi, and both wanderers resolved but you keep wiping and keep lifegaining until you win. ive only won one game by decking my opponent with devious coverup but that is a last resort.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I tried playing explorer a bit for variety, it's just monogreen ramp as far as the eye can see, isn't it ? I'm looking at my stats for confirmation and it's like 75% of the meta there. Maybe Bo3 is different though, I haven't tried that.

i pretty much play just explorer and came back after a long break and only queue up now when i feel like playing against it. i would have guessed its 3/4 of my matches but its nice you actually got the evidence.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

i was extremely close to anger dropping like 25 rare wildcards on a spirits deck just to gently caress all these green devotion decks but it was late and i went to bed instead . but maybe tonight.......

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

odinson posted:

Any tips about using it?
I didn't play during the Innistrad: CVow era. The only time I've cast it so far was against an Esper Control deck b/c I figured they would have sided out more of their single target creature removal.

i like to board it in control mirrors and sometimes even spirits since they will board in a gazillion counterspells. cast it with mana to protect it usually in the form bouncing it back to yourself to fizzle whatever removal targeted it. esper will maybe still have vanishing verse and uw may keep removal for it as well. control mirrors can come down to whoever can find and cast it first, it's a loving nightmare to deal with. i prefer dream trawler against creature and midrange decks but maybe that's technically wrong.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

dream trawler is one of my favorite cards ever

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

ive been trying to make lotus combo work without hidden strings and it sort of does as long as opp doesnt have stomp or fatal push or march but it turns out 80% of decks have stomp or fatal push or march

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

resistentialism posted:

shouldn't you be playing proctor on turn 3 and then immediately play lotus field? there's no opportunity to kill it before its trigger goes off

yeah thats the lotus uw control play pattern but im talking about the pioneer combo archetype version where you use lotus and cheap untap effects to infinite mana your way into second sun/omniscience/peer etc. in pioneer you have hidden strings to untap your lotuses without much interaction available to your opponent. in explorer without hidden strings you have to use creatures to untap the lotuses but they can be killed easily so its less reliable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

i tried to play a couple days earlier this week and my client would repeatedly hang so i had to force quit and reload arena was that just me and/or is it fixed now?