Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Horace Kinch posted:

I have ended so many creatures because nobody reads the text on Battlefly Swarm. That 1mana deathtouch gets them every single time. This was a good trade for shambling ghast.

My favorite draft so far ended up with 4x Battlefly Swarm, 4x Uborg Repossession, 3x Phyrexian Rager, and 1x Sheoldred. You can guess what my gameplan was.

2 out of the 3 matches I lost were because someone stole the Sheoldred. One of which I could've prevented, but that card makes you cocky in limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

flatluigi posted:

there should probably be a dedicated spellslingers thread if people are actually playing it

I watched the trailer and I still have no idea what kind of game it is.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I did but only because for some reason I thought it was one of the ones where you didn't get kicked out after so many losses so you'd eventually recoup your entry fee and could throw together whatever jank you wanted in a low-stakes, fun-time environment.

Got my jank kicked to the curb.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I've enjoyed limited to a decent amount though I may or may not go back to it, but I'm actually really feelin' standard right now with a fair-to-middling Izzet tempo deck because piloting it feels incredibly dynamic.

I've got the first few turns to try to figure out what my opponents Bo1 deck is and my decisions up to that point significantly matter.

There's something to be said over deck with difficult decisions versus thing that wins consistently. But I'm havin' a good time (and all of my other decks rotated out).

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Whooping Crabs posted:

Hymn to Tourach (wolf) is my favorite card

Favorite play from back when I was young. Turn one, on the play:

Swamp. Dark Ritual. Dark Ritual. Hypnotic Specter. Hymn to Tourach.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Gonna say that the red "womp womp" a card does when it blocks an opponent's ability is the most satisfying animation in the game

I do miss Vorinclex, Monstrous Raider as my single largest provider of womp-womps.

Especially recently, when people think they can The Wandering Emperor every single threat. I know what your open four mana means.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

quite stretched out posted:

vorinclex and emperor (all planeswalkers really but especially emperor) was probably my favourite interaction in standard before it rotated

It's extra fun when they have the mana open and Vorinclex is on the stack but they wait 'til it resolves and you swing with him.

Might have to look up what passes for Stompy in standard 'cause my elves with a few big boys is no longer legal.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Eej posted:

People overrated Sheoldred because people in general over value grindy cards because they grew up playing the Rock or something

Don't kink shame me.

Also now I need to make a People's Elbow deck.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shooting Blanks posted:

Anyone have a decklist for this week's Midweek Magic?

I tried to make The People's Elbow without spending wildcards (needs more time), and I kept getting my butt kicked.

I settled on a Mono-U tempo deck (because I do have a lot of those cards): counterspells, bounce cards, maybe some filter cards, Haughty Djinn, and Tolarian Terror.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Just lost to a new trick:

At my end step, the turn before I was gonna win, guy used a Reflection of Kiki-Jiki to copy his other RoKJ. Then used the token to copy, etc, etc, etc. Ended up with 7 of them, because the beginning of the end step in which they normally disappear had already occurred.

I wasn't worried about the big swing, but then I realized he could Meathook afterward for a bunch of extra lethal damage.

Worst part was I could've just Lightning Striked the first RoJK being copied and stopped all of it.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I was playin' tempo and I had my mind set on using the mana most of the game for some more obvious threat.

Then on that turn I just assumed he was doing funny it's-clear-he's-going-to-die-when-I-untap stuff because sometimes I do that too.

For some reason in my mind "at the beginning of the next end step" means "at the end of the turn" even though I don't think that's ever been a phrase since they started getting precise in their language.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Finally drank the kool-aid and built a Mono-B aggro deck, a slightly different from the lists floating around but probably a similar core.

It slaps.

Especially compared to the rest of my jank (which has now been deleted 'cause I never really updated for the rotation).

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I feel like in the past Kill X Creatures required you to kill them but now I think it may be the more generous Have X Creatures Your Opponents Control Die.

Which is good because I just played a lengthy round against an Anvil deck.

They won but I'm going to claim the moral high ground because I deliberately did not put Meathook Massacre in my deck, jumping on the Mono-B-andwagon kinda late. It would've destroyed them.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I've got a kinda janky Izzet deck but I bode my time 'til I could cast and protect a Haughty Djinn. He tapped out trying to do stuff and kill it on his turn.

Then two Lightning Strikes to his dome and double strike on the Djinn and I did exactly the 24 damage I needed out of what must've felt like nowhere to him.

It's a good feeling.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ithle01 posted:

I almost always enjoy any commander style events on Arena and this one is no exception.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yeah I barely had to change my mono-B deck and Graveyard Trespasser was pretty easy to swap out.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

But man did I love WAR limited.

Maybe because I had the most objectively-positive ratio. But it never felt solved / predictable as the other good draft sets did.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

AngryBooch posted:

Main thing to note about it is that it isn't Phantom like a Cube draft typically is.

Snap!

I misread "Player Draft" as "Phantom Draft" when I checked this morning but I think I'll be doin' me some of that.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Oh hell yeah.

I was probably at my most impressionable during the Tempest block so I've always liked Phyrexia lore, Eldraine was a very good draft set, and I missed Ixalan the first time around but thematically it makes me the happiest.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bust Rodd posted:

Here is a really good Standard deck full of strong cards that are fun to play and isn’t a three color greed pile. Combats Esper well because all of your cards are two or more cards.

Cost me a fair few wildcards but once this thing gets momentum it really tears.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lone Goat posted:

I'd stay to expect some merfolk and vampires too, BUT it seems the premise of the new Eldraine set is to focus on the cool fairy tale stuff and ignore all the Arthurian knights poo poo nobody cared about, so maybe Ixalan 2 will also focus on the cool poo poo and trim the rest.

Vampire Conquistadors were some of the coolest stuff. Possibly of all time.

But yeah Eldraine could use some thematic tightening.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Pro play: using your Wandering Emperor's +1 on an opponent's Graveyard Trespasser so you can discard a permanent to Invoke Justice on it.

Everything about that made me feel great except the fact that I was still at one life and they had a Graveyard Trespasser out.

In top form, he Infernal Grasped one of his own creatures for the final removal (even though I had one in my graveyard).

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

:siren:Free Phantom Bot Cube:siren:

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

VictualSquid posted:

The free cube is kinda fun. I ended up as esper reanimator. Not sure if I am going to keep playing after I got my 3 wins, everybody having Sheoldred except for me is kinda annoying.

That one game where my opponent exploded after the third time I reanimated their Sheoldred was funny tho.

Sheoldreds. We had Sheoldreds.

Though smolsheol is still the better of the two.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

In addition to guessing the new free-packs code (PlayBRO), looks like Warhammer crossover sleeves are currently free in the store.

Plus free phantom sealed for Midweek Magic!

Off to a good start minus the part where I don't have time to play Magic right now.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think I am gonna do the phantom sealed as practice, then play my "real" sealed pool... maybe watch Jim Davis before firing off a draft lol.

Having a phantom sealed when a new set comes out is incredibly generous for those of us who like going into sets blind.

It's also probably reasonable from a financial standpoint -- the first hit is often free.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Friends, let me tell you about Horned Stoneseeker. Ain't he the cutest?

Play first. Drop him on Turn 2. Play a scarier creature each turn thereafter. Attack always.

They'll trade for the scarier dudes, meanwhile he'll keep chippin' 'em for 2. And you'll get a free Powerstone out of it!

pre:
1x Horned Stoneseeker
1x Obliterating Bolt
1x Sardian Cliffstomper
3x Scrapwork Mutt (Good pressure, good filter.)
1x Whirling Strike (Always trades favorably in Bo1.)
1x Phyrexian Revoker
1x Sigil of Valor (I don't know why people are so down on these.)
1x Draconic Destiny
2x Excavation Explosion
1x Mishra, Excavation Prodigy
2x Penregon Strongbull (People haven't yet realized you just sac all your artifacts for direct damage on the final turn.)
1x Phyrexian Dragon Engine
1x Platoon Dispenser (Perfectly fine without White.)
4x Mishra's Juggernaut (lol)
1x Blitz Automaton
1x Heavyweight Demolisher
17x Mountain
Then again, maybe the rest of the deck was good too.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I like that MtG:A now pauses before your draw step if they have a Sheoldred out.

Though I just had a match where it paused even though I had no instants or activated abilities. That turn I burned through all my mana digging for a Fateful Absence so I could kill it on next untap.

Next turn it auto-paused AFTER my draw step, even though I had the Fateful Absence in-hand.

I ended up losing that match a few turns later. By 2 life.

Thanks, Arena!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

First time I've seen the Invoke Justice + Portal to Phyrexia control deck.

Har har.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

A big flaming stink posted:

about to try something incredibly stupid in BRO draft:

its like im gaming in 1994

Godspeed.

I don't recall the original Howling Mine having that tapped clause -- was that a revision, and if so why?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I wonder if the Steam client will work better on the Steam Deck than the standalone, which I never got right though I'm probably sated 'til next set.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

How long do these first decathlon (and I guess each set of) events last?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Just got an email that has the event schedule:

Jan 1-3: Jump In / Pauper
Jan 4-6: Sealed Mixed Dominaria / Standard
Jan 7-9: Bro Traditional Draft / Alchemy
Jan 10-12: Neo Bot Draft / Traditional Explorer
Jan 13-15: Omniscience Bot Draft / On the Edge

I did win my 2nd Jump In with Saboteurs Vitality.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

About 50% of Pauper people are running some variation on this and I can't blame them; it works.

code:
4x Lunarch Veteran
4x Patriar's Humiliation
4x Steadfast Unicorn
4x Fierce Retribution
4x Flaming Fist Duskguard
4x Spirited Companion
4x Inspiring Overseer
4x Priest of Ancient Lore
4x Blessed Hippogriff
4x Search Party Captain
20x Plains

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gonna say that Vitality might be the MVP in this jump-in event.

Specifically that silly flying elephant guy. Gives you so many options, and at the worst case a bonus flier.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

:siren:Discount Draft Token in Store:siren:

The treasure standard event was a beast, but I ended up pullin' through with this bad boy once I realized how much it benefits from the free artifacts-on-board:

code:
1x Fateful Absence
3x Sunset Revelry
1x Abrade
4x Wedding Announcement
2x Brotherhood's End
1x Excavation Explosion
4x Fable of the Mirror-Breaker
1x Careful Cultivation (least valuable player)
2x The Wandering Emperor
4x Big Score
2x Invoke Justice
4x Chaotic Transformation
3x Titan of Industry
2x Portal to Phyrexia
3x Plains
2x Mountain
2x Forest
4x Karplusan Forest
2x Rockfall Vale
1x Battlefield Forge
3x Sundown Pass
1x Brushland
4x Overgrown Farmland
4x Jetmir's Garden
The idea is to cheat Portal to Phyrexia and maybe Titan of Industry into play, but it's got enough flexibility to get you to that point against almost every deck. The only one it struggles against is counter-heavy blue, which isn't super-common.

And smart people who Abrade the artifact you targeted with Chaotic Transformation.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'm gonna name it Jalchemy but I think you missed some of the lands there.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Wait, is Trad Draft normally 5x Bo3 matches to trophy?

That seems like it'd take all the live-long day.

Not that I'm winning that much. Opponents seem to find the playable mythics much better than I do.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'm glad the coinflip gods were good to me 'cause I had fun in my one Omniscience entry and also I trophied.

Not because my deck was great. It was decent. But I had multiple people concede very early for no clear reason.

I'll take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lone Goat posted:

Duplicated Sealed means everyone has the same card pool, so you'll build your deck like normal before the first match, and no you won't need to rebuild each round. It's bo3 though, so get ready to sideboard between games of each match.

Whoa. Do we know if it'll be random packs like normal or is it super-curated?

This sounds like one of those things I should do sooner rather than later as it'll turn into a quasi-solved format and I can't be bothered to look things up.