Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Gonna miss Hive Tyrant, it was my insurance policy against Tenacious Underdogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm open palm slamming wildcards on Sheoldred/Lilillana/Raven Man. Discard got some new toys to offset losing Tergrid.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

So is sealed like draft except instead of picking and passing packs it just throws a bunch of cards in your face? I have a bunch of gold saved up and was tempted to try it.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Sure do love being mana flooded literally every game I play while my opponents style on me. loving shuffler.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Friendly reminder to purge your Standard BO1 sideboard of lesson cards. I've been trying to figure out why all the decks I retooled weren't legal until I noticed it on the right.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

An opponent pre-GG'd me after playing the guy who can turn enchantments into creatures. They animated their Temporary Lockdown like a complete dingus right into an Infernal Grasp. I got 6 creatures back on the board instantly and blocked the rest of his stuff down, they scooped immediately. Pride always comes before the fall.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

Zur gives the animated creatures hexproof though? How did this occur?

My uncle who works at WotC let me bypass it. Actually I played a meathook, not a Grasp. I wrote my dumb and totally believeable story wrong, my memory is bad. I grasped the backup Zur my opponent played.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Ngl I wanna try Defender Tribal.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I've been goofing with Kaya + Rabble Rousing and when it goes off one of two things happen, my opponents scoop or I'm about to eat a meathook.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

So it is very enjoyable watching everyone who talked about it in preview season eat absolute poo poo as Sheoldred appears to actually be the nut.
Gums up the ground, dodges most removal, makes profitable attacks unprofitable due to deathtouch, stabilizes life against aggro, makes on-time Fable of the Mirror-Breakers and Raffine attacks absolutely miserable and generally just concludes the game pretty effectively.
What are this card's weaknesses? It can't just be "lol dies to Doom Blade" because other than Infernal Grasp, most of the Doom Blades in this format are conditional in a way that she dodges. She's even ahead of The Meathook Massacre for at least a few turns.

I am very not-high on Cut Down, too. It just hits so very, very little after turn 2 that I'd rather just have a disfigure effect that at least functions as a combat trick later in the game rather than be literally dead.

I got super lucky and picked up 3 Sheoldreds on day 1 thanks to packs and the renewal egg and then slammed down a wildcard for #4. I have a gut feeling Sheoldred is going to eat a ban in the future. I've been playing Golgari with her just to slam down a Tamiyo's when my opponent desperately tries to remove her. She single-handedly shuts down Connive decks and the Celestus just by existing, it's nuts.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I like the domain mechanic enough and since kickers are off-color anyways I'm just gonna blow my wildcards on Triomes.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I am guilty of playing monoB. Invoke Despair is just so drat good.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I have ended so many creatures because nobody reads the text on Battlefly Swarm. That 1mana deathtouch gets them every single time. This was a good trade for shambling ghast.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Got a pretty good setup, went 3-0 in the midweek madness.

All 3 games ended with me double-kicking Archangel to get the last 6 damage I needed to win.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

How in any universe did you not play Missionaries, Stall for Time, and Phalanx, all on color and fully kickable?!! You played Sleeper over Missionary?

I am notoriously bad at all things draft and assessing what is and isn't good. I also tend to overvalue removal/evasion, but I went with my gut and it got me W's. :shrug:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The shuffler will do everything in its power to make your opponent win. Acceptance is often the hardest part.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Sheoldred, much like Fable, is one of those cards that has so much value it's never out of place in any deck. If the opponent doesn't answer it immediately you'll run away with the game, it exists to bait removal/counterspells.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

So guess what I learned today. The discounted mana cost on Vanquish the Horde only applies when it's in your hand. How did I find out exactly? By pulling it with Sorin at exactly 8HP in a game I was very much about to win. :shepface:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

palamedes posted:

I'm having fun in Artisan and winning more than I'm losing with this pile. I saw Anvil was an uncommon and I wanted to do some Big Spender/Xander's Wake things and the rest seemed natural. All the one-ofs are me playing around with it, tweaking it from game to game as I see cool cards or recurring problems.

Best Big Spender game so far was block/sacrificing to stop an opponent's lifelink guy two turns in a row and ripping two artifacts to make my 3/2s unblockable and win with two-drop aggro.

3 Experimental Synthesizer (NEO) 138
4 Infernal Grasp (MID) 107
4 Play with Fire (MID) 154
4 Voldaren Epicure (VOW) 182
3 Cut Down (DMU) 89
4 Oni-Cult Anvil (NEO) 230
4 Bloodtithe Harvester (VOW) 232
4 Deadly Dispute (HBG) 150
3 Big Spender (Y22) 10
1 Restless Bloodseeker (VOW) 128
1 Xander's Wake (Y22) 9
1 Night Clubber (SNC) 89
1 Morbid Opportunist (MID) 113
1 Seismic Wave (NEO) 161

7 Mountain (HBG) 304
4 Bloodfell Caves (M21) 243
7 Swamp (HBG) 300
4 Tramway Station (SNC) 258

I tinkered with this but the instant Big Spender came down it ate immediate removal so I tweaked the deck a bit. I removed the Night Clubber and Spenders, swapped for Unlucky Witness, then added 2 Duress to gently caress with their hand a bit. Once the Anvils were triggering Xander's every single turn my opponents started scooping from frustration.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Hooplah posted:

goddamn it is tough out there in standard for a f2p'er. i'm so far from having the wcs for anything real in standard, but it feels like i'm the only one out here not playing a decklist copied from mtggoldfish and i'm being destroyed for it. it feels like i'm not allowed to have fun in standard until i build up a big enough pool of cards that i can just craft a full competent deck. how do you guys deal with this rat race? it's so overwhelming to think of the meta shifting and having to do it all over again

When in doubt, monored! Fill your deck with cheap hasty jerks and burn spells that let you target the face (play with fire, lightning strike).

Alternatively, save up 5k and do quick drafts until you have the crap you want. You'll get a bunch of cards and if you're winning you'll score some gems for the trouble.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 14, 2022

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

So which one of you do I give my account info to so I can actually win drafts? Because I have no idea what's a good pick in Dom U and I just went 0-3, all 3 matches were against Boros Enlist gimmicks. Didn't keep a log of my current set but trust me it was clearly poo poo.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Chamale posted:

Other, totally unrelated question: Anyone know whether it's better to play Restoration of Eiganjo or Wedding Invitation on turn 3? I have 4 of each, I'll play the Restoration if I need the fourth land next turn, but in some situations it's really not obvious which is better.

I usually go Invitation first unless I really need to get slightly ahead on mana or I chumped with a Spirited Companion/Ambitious Farmhand.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Similar to how Snakeskin Veil was mandatory in all my green decks (now replaced with Tamiyo's Safekeeping) I always always always keep Wandering Emperor on hand when I have white in my deck. She's just too good not to have.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Jodah & Raven Man are tons of fun in the midweek event. I'm gonna make a brawl deck around Raven Man and be a shameless discarding nightmare.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I lost one game as Jodah vs Raven Man. They topdecked everything they needed to keep my hand empty and Jodah in the command zone forever.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I've won with Raven Man plenty, the trick is to do everything in your power to keep Jodah, specifically, off the board and then discard like a madman. If you have to multi-block him do it, almost all of his lands enter tapped and each time they replay him it costs 2 more mana.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Whooping Crabs posted:

You need a big brain to play it, and it gets annihilated vs. aggro. It's one of the most popular decks at the moment. CGB ran it but he definitely wasn't the first.

I tried it verbatim and hated it. I ditched a few spells and added some Delvers and Terrors, now it feels much better. So far my only L's have been to Ivy+Virtuoso, but I blame that more on being on the draw and the shuffler not hooking me up with appropriate counterspells/bounces.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

precision posted:

black having tons of removal is kinda Black's whole deal, so it doesn't bother me.

what tilts me like nobody's business is people who play discard. "you don't get to play with your toys" is a style of deck that, i am entirely certain, is only enjoyed by a certain sort of very unpleasant person

I run a discard deck but I will open palm slam concede if I have to put up with a turn 1 Duress.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I need an addon that flashes a screen in my face when I play a Syncopate/Make Disappear that says HEY IDIOT, LLANOWAR LOAMSPEAKER IS A MANA SOURCE.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I am dogshit at drafting but I can proudly say I went 6-3 my last MID draft. My losses were all to Dimir Disturb. Disturb creatures let you outlast removal and most of them have flying, it's baller in limited.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

precision posted:

i used my U/W Vehicles deck for midweek. i think i only had to change one card

threw this fun self-mill deck together last night, any suggestions for changes or edits?

3 x Cut Down
3 x Eaten Alive
3 x Urborg Repossession
3 x Deathbonnet Sprout
3 x Undead Butler
2 x Liliana of the Veil
1 x Sanguine Spy
1 x Old Rutstein
2 x Body Launderer
2 x Sheoldred, the Apocalypse
2 x The Cruelty of Gix
2 x Wrenn and Seven
2 x Toxrill, the Corrosive
2 x Titan of Industry
4 x the Meathook Massacre

10 x Swamp
2 x Takenuma, Abandoned Mire
8 x Forest
3 x Deathcap Glade

Not sure how married you are to splashing blue but Grolnok the Omnivore+Willow Geist is a pretty mean combo for selfmill if you can keep them alive and attacking.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Hammer Bro. posted:

Just lost to a new trick:

At my end step, the turn before I was gonna win, guy used a Reflection of Kiki-Jiki to copy his other RoKJ. Then used the token to copy, etc, etc, etc. Ended up with 7 of them, because the beginning of the end step in which they normally disappear had already occurred.

I wasn't worried about the big swing, but then I realized he could Meathook afterward for a bunch of extra lethal damage.

Worst part was I could've just Lightning Striked the first RoJK being copied and stopped all of it.

Letting Kiki-Jiki survive long enough to make copies at all is kind of a death sentence.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

How is anyone winning at all with Johnny? I keep getting matched vs Vorthos's insane bullshit that makes me discard all my stuff while they just draw/remove forever and I'm dead in the water on turn 2.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Gonna spend my free wildcards on Zur jank. Also with meathook gone just splash a single white mana and cleavecast Path of Peril.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 10, 2022

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

precision posted:

on the plus side, with Meathook gone my where wolff deck (list posted earlier) is even more obnoxious and bullshit :newlol:

I tried your deck and like it. So far my only L was someone reanimating Hullbreaker on turn 5.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Howlpack Piper and Reckless Stormseeker are worth the wildcards. Werewolf tribal will be jank forever but it's fun jank.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

If someone plays a sheoldred it should just automatically put a stop at the beginning of your turn

I've been more proactive about using stops here and there but what's the difference between orange and blue stops?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Do we know what the "Toxic" keyword is? At a glance, I assume it means "put X poison counter equal to Toxic X onto yourself".

It forces your opponent to spam "your go" x times, where x is the amount of life they lost this turn.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

No basics, painlands only, final destination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

MTGA with triple triad victory rules.