Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is there a separate thread for MTG Spellslinger

Oh jeez, I'm actually still playing Spellslinger. It's kinda good...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

40 lbs to freedom posted:

ty and cheers to munckin and posters itt like him who make helpful and efficient limited posts casue im not a 4 hour youtube/podcast kind of guy but also i dont want to totally toilet my draft tokens every release

These are the high level notes I have for myself for Dominaria:

Drafting:
Try a draftsim and use their algo weights as a guide. The drafting AI gets locked in with +2.0 weights for on-color adjustments (lol), so you'll definitely get a 2 color deck if you pick based off of scores for how good cards are.
https://draftsim.com/draft.php?mode=Draft_DMU

Playing:
Once you have your deck, understand the overall gameplan.

Aggro: you probably would've had to actively draft this, but low curve, good mana base (taking turns off is bad)
Midrange: play those 3+ mana high value dummies, have removal. try to outsize aggro or outspeed control. against midrange, it'll be a back and forth.
Control: crack a big bomb? see if you can stall for the bomb

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Holy crap, these look so great.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Interesting drafts so far. I guess I should expect to [0-2]/3 events until I understand what's going on with the format.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

I'm playing a 'domain' deck in Sealed. It's real in that you want to use dual lands whenever possible due to kicker costs.

Kicker can push a 1/10 card to 8/10 (see Tear Asunder), so cards are tough to evaluate at first glance because of the variance.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Mike N Eich posted:

Very early on but it feels like the limited format is very slow - lots of board stalls due to tons of walls and tokens, so evasion is at a premium.

The fixing is out of control, I played a Sultai deck with a white splash and never had any mana issues because I had 5 dual lands. We'll see if aggro is fast enough to take advantage of more Durdley decks.

I have a feeling dual lands are going to become very contested

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Lord Banana posted:

Any ideas on this sealed pool? I think WBg is the right way to go, but I'm open to suggestions.

https://sealeddeck.tech/nbIRIIVhbb

Try the MTGA Assistant app. I used the auto suggestions which gives you a straight forward deck with numerical power levels. It was easier than starting with a blank canvas.

I tuned it while playing matches, and found it to be a good way to experience the format. I'm also not worrying too much about initial W/L ratio, everyone's learning at this moment.

As for right now, the power level looks a bit low and you're definitely leaving bombs on the table like Quirion Beastcaller.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

On news of the other MTG digital game, Spellslingers is getting its first set update.

https://magicspellslingers-support.wizards.com/hc/en-us/articles/9136695704724-Patch-Notes-v1-01-00

Overall impressions after 50+ hours - it's pretty great!

F2P seems pretty decent so far (packs have duplicate protection, you'll get full set of commons at 40 packs (and you get around 1 pack a day).

Competition is pretty fierce and sweaty.

The game is more social than MTGA with clans/teams and team daily quests and chatrooms.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Any tips on this pool? I was thinking BR(U), but there's weird tension between the aggressive part of the red pool and the grindier parts of the BR pool.

https://sealeddeck.tech/1GF11KAmUd

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

I don't see a big argument to go into red as the secondary color, and none to play blue. However, you have excellent green cards.

I'd try something like this:

2 Bone Splinters
1 Llanowar Stalker
2 Knight of Dusk's Shadow
1 Splatter Goblin
1 Phyrexian Vivisector
1 Yavimaya Iconoclast
1 Sunbathing Rootwalla
1 Bite Down
1 Automatic Librarian
1 Lagomos, Hand of Hatred
1 Gibbering Barricade
1 Eerie Soultender
1 Deathbloom Gardener
3 Extinguish the Light
1 Defiler of Flesh
1 Magnigoth Sentry
1 Elfhame Wurm
1 Bortuk Bonerattle
1 Mossbeard Ancient

1 Wooded Ridgeline
1 Geothermal Bog
1 Haunted Mire
+ basic lands

Thanks guys, I'll probably end up trying both variants (the beauty of sealed)

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Another 1-3.

I had been doing a decent job of breaking even but three sub-50%s in two days have quickly depleted my reserves, I guess I should pause

Two words: Magic Spellslingers.

In all seriousness though, the new Spellslingers D&D set adds class cards, which reminds me of the 'questlines' that plagued Hearthstone. They're pretty busted so far.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Sol'kanar deck has Vesuvian Duplimancy, which makes it the best deck by default.

I resolved Vesuvian Duplimancy and didn't understand the card. Then I flickered Sol'kanar and had a turn with 3 Sol'kanar ....

The deck is amazing!

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

It might just me, but I've been finding Dominaria United a bit boring? Maybe I should play more brawl.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Oh wow, they added starter deck duels. It's pretty swingy though.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Looking to get my feet wet in BO3. Any deck/format recommendations?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Bugsy posted:

Did they gently caress up the midweek event again? They have never had one that's ranked before.

Alchemy is such a weird format. It's neat to play the LoTR cards at least.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Any tips for the Extra Life Brawl? It's a bit like cube where there are so many words that I barely understand what I'm doing :D

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Any fun Historic No Ban lists?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

kalel posted:

the only deck in mwm that's truly putrid is zombies I think. barely any removal except sacrifice (but the rest of the decks can make tokens well so it doesn't really matter), the curve is really awful, it relies on 4 and 5 mana enchantments that make more zombies but the other decks main deck enchantment removal which creates huge tempo loss.

I think the best luck you can have with UB Zombies deck is just trying to be consistent in dropping threats - most attacks are good because you can buy back after any trades with the commander. Mull for bombs as they can can be recurred with the commander and try to get extra value out of the tribal buffs.

But yes, interaction makes the deck real awkward.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Huh, how does the blue deck work, I have no idea what I'm doing

Affinity posted:
Deck
2 Emry, Lurker of the Loch (MUL) 74

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Cast Emry turn 1, recur baubles for value, dump artifacts to gain advantage with Thought Monitor, win with Sai swarm and/or Karn destroying your opponent's lands

Oh boy, this is the durdling nonsense that I love

Edit:

Ahh tapping lands is an activated ability, which is how you blank their lands. And I decked myself by going full Reality Chip :)

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 14, 2023

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

I've just been playing jump-ins to get to try the new cards - I have to say this set is sweet! The 5C Caves deck with Cosmium is hilarious.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

ok this seems like a good plan

unfortunately i blundered literally 6 different times in the first game dying 1 point short of getting lethal lmao, i cannot play draft games properly at all lmao, feels like poo poo. after the first time i did it i should have calmed down and focus but i guess i just leaned in lol... kept forgetting to use mana to get more damage on nautilus, not attacking with creatures that were free to attack and that i wasn't going to block with, not playing my tomb raider for hasty damage... the list went on

I am guessing i continuously blunder in constructed games too all these years, i just don't notice because i'm not setting gems on fire when i do

I think the real payoff of developing drafting skills is when you build something strong enough to beat most other decks. Which rewards card evaluation skills and good reads. Drafting a good deck takes a bunch of pressure off of making all the right gameplay decisions.

Also the format is new, everyone is learning interactions and what everything does. Getting pummeled and learning from the experiences is how people get good in the first place. I guarantee you that LSV just shakes off that Simic draft and learns to draft that less.

I think the jump-in packs actually do a decent job with teaching mechanics and fundamentals. Plus its super low stakes.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 17, 2023

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

MikeC posted:

Tell yourself each time that you are playing to learn, not to win. At some point in time you will tilt like everyone will. That's when you quit for the day.

You can't get better through osmosis. That's why chess teachers tell everyone under 2k elo to do tactical puzzles non stop. You need to find a way to do something similar in MTG. It doesn't matter how many podcasts you listen to about archetypes or card rankings. You need to have reps where you are actually hyper focused on finding the highest EV lines and the have a support group to discuss difficult and complex situations with to refine decision making.

100% play to learn (especially at the start of a format).

I actually think Limited is too skill intensive and can get in the way of getting better.

It's easy to draft bad decks. The tension goes way up when you're juggling mana base + anti synergy + bad cards + getting pressured by good decks.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

drainpipe posted:

LCI Premier #2

Draft: https://www.17lands.com/draft/5d8b79ddb32e47988fd1c2ff2aebf1d0

Doing blue aggro again, but WU fliers this time. Not much interaction here, which is a little worrisome.

Any recommendations? Wondering if Hammer, Iceberg, Mural, or Archaeologists are worth keeping. Not sure what I'd replace them with. I guess the last three would be my top-end.

Hammer seems solid especially on your flying guys.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Curious what people think of these Limited meta reports:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gDE82_4vcM

I'll say that RG Dinos was pretty good, but the set feels 'Princely' in that the bomb rares are pretty nutty to play against

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Weird draft, kinda just got passed Red cards. Is Mono Red-ish the right call?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Tezzeract posted:

Weird draft, kinda just got passed Red cards. Is Mono Red-ish the right call?

Turns out Mono Red 7-2'd drafts.

Ended up switching out to "Rakdos", just splashing Zoyowa (RB signpost uncommon), Dead Weight and Restless Vents (Creature Land) and went down to 16 lands.

Goblin Tomb Raider + Dire Flail is insane pressure. And Volatile Wanderglyphs helps so much with mana flooding.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

drainpipe posted:

This went a respectable 4-3.

In my last two blue aggro drafts (UR and UW), I kept losing to green based midrange/stompy decks (four times to GR and once each to GB and GW). I definitely had a few misplays as well as a few incidents of stumbling on land, but even accounting for these, the games mostly felt unwinnable. Are they natural predators for this small blue shitters strategy or is my strategy for these games flawed?

My first draft run is at https://www.17lands.com/details/94daea5a35024a6c853f0b045faec5b0

I think you need more interaction. You have flyers out to chip away, but what you need is to set back their gameplan/tempo them out. If you just let them get big, that's lights out.

GR stompy works by ramping up to their finishers and R gives them really strong interaction in Abrade/Rockslide.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

I then did a Premier Draft, again with waters the Cave master (he posted a bunch of super successful ones on discord) and sadly, I forgot to turn on 17lands after a computer restart. It was a very interesting draft too, but what you can do.

This is the result, and you can see why I mentioned the Caves thing, because we picked up a neat package:

Yes, the manabase is spicy, but that's what you get for having to play the two splash color Caves to get the count up (and a Mountain to look for with the Vein). As you can see from the SB, it was definitely on the table to be Rakdos splashing W instead, but I really want to be main W for the Glyphbridge.

The deck plays absolutely beautifully - we had to mulligan twice because yes, the manabase is a bit of an oof, but then we could 3-for-1 in every game with the Cave-In too so it's impossible to say if it's bad or not. In two games I had Glyphbridge in hand and didn't actually have to play it, by the way! Loved the play patterns.

3-0 at the moment.

Do you have any tips on drafting Caves. Are there any pulls into the archetype or do you just force it?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

Did a Premier by myself this time

https://www.17lands.com/draft/12ac5a0619bb41f588ff667c0892ac42

Started with a great G rare, picked up a few more cards. Noticed that good W cards seemed to go super late, so that quickly became my main color. It became eminent in the later packs that I was the only W drafter at the table, so now I have three Cloudguards and four Guidewings lmao. I am basically playing good cards (which happen to be fliers) tribal, which seems like a recipe for success:

The build might not be optimal. I'm playing the Sunscribes because I don't want to lose to aggro and they're at least decent, I'm playing the Tote because it's never bad even though I barely have artifact synergies, and I do want something for the Sawblades to craft with (okay, actually I got three Cloud Guards, so...maybe Tote can go). Demolisher is cute with the Tortoise but it doesn't actually have all that great stats, otoh it can basically never backfire on me - better play? Early drop too?

Interesting, what's the gameplan for the deck (how does it win)?

Edit, that might not be super helpful. I like the go-wide nature of the deck, and the explore helps you ramp, but I feel like you're missing a pay-off or two (like Malamet War Scribe or Ojer Taq, Deepest Foundation).

I think with your cards, maybe a more controll-y style is better (don't turn cards sideways until their threats are gone through removal, play all the quicksands), ramp get 10 mana and have Envoy of Okinec Ahau create 1/1 tokens every turn until you get 10+ tokens and finish them with Family Reunion.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 21, 2023

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

imagine dungeons posted:

I’m ready to piss.

Lets go!

Caverns is a pretty wild format. BO1 queue might as well be constructed with all the great 1,2,3 decks out there that kill you dead (great decks have low curves). Slow hands need to be mulliganed ASAP and never let their bombs untap (may the magic gods be with you).

I'm curious if it plays better in BO3, where you sideboard in sweepers.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

elbkaida posted:

I've got this deck where I don't really know how many creatures vs removal vs artifacts to put in:

Should I add more removal? Is brackish blunder useful here? Maybe I could cut the Lonestone needles because I haven't got that many creatures? Very confused about how to approach this properly.

Simply Simon posted:

Great card selection, tough build. In your sideboard, I'm seeing Another Chance and Gnawer as very interesting - both add value plays that B really needs. Don't cut the Needles, they are very good and will allow you to grind into the lategame, where you can then leverage your big mana payoffs (Spiketail, maybe brought back by Another Chance, flipped Icebergs, constant flipped needle activations, Uchbenbak returning...) to win. Thus, I'm also more interested in playing the Deathcap Marionettes over the Snails - the Deathtouch is really annoying, and you do like having a fuller GY. Especially with Another Chance in the deck.

Cuts, apart from the Snail <-> Marionette exchange, I'd say the Puzzle-Door and a Dead Weight - the latter really underperforms. It might also be reasonable to cut one or both of the Pirates, they seem off-plan and you don't have that high of an artifact density. These cuts also make the Stauch Crewmate miss rather often, so perhaps you can replace that too.

Blunder is definitely a good card for you. If you can fit it, play it, but it's not super necessary.

These are all great cuts. I think in Limited Resources, LSV said for UB 'Descend' you want less spells so you can enable the Descend, Deathcaps help you hit Descend 4 quickly. Another Chance helps you buy back your bombs.

That said I think Descend is more of a small package to enable your explosive plays. Looks like a fun deck!

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Midweek ixalan constructed was fun with izzet pirates. The standard version of that deck is also fun. Izzet hasn't had much presence while I've been playing standard and not really pirates as a theme as I recall. It's extremely heavy on new cards as well, uses craft, exactly the kinda new deck I hope to see with a new set.

Midweek is cool.

Re: lands chat, I'm hoping there's some Cosmium Confluence "Simic" Explore/Turbolands deck (but 5C because in reality it's oops all lands) that's playable.

Everyone loves lands that attack as 9/9s.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

If you guys are ever bored and want to play caves + explore in MWM

(very bad deck and needs more payoffs, but it's fun)

From all the trouncings, the best way to play Cosmium Confluence is to ramp from 5->8 the first time, maybe need to up the count to 3-4. Spelunking is great, but hold your breath to turn 3. Cave-in should probably be 4x for the more 'competitive' version of the deck.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 23, 2023

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

I was looking into making decks for ranked constructed and I'm starting to see why people say its difficult to get into formats.

It's starting to look like Alchemy is the easiest format to get into due to the card pool, but everyone plays standard and maybe burning WCs for mono Red is the fix. Not sure if anyone else came up against this.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

space uncle posted:

Yeah that’s what I did to start out back in 2019. I played mono red to get wins and gradually collect more WCs for more stuff. I think mono blue is currently more WC friendly but its stuff will rotate faster.

Make sure you also build some crappy decks in the other 4 colors and just jam them in the play queue to do your quests. Quests are worth more gold than winning.

Cool, I'll bite the bullet. I do enjoy MWM because I feel like there's a possibility of brewing/testing different strategies.

kalel posted:

with respect to quests, starter deck duel is always an option if the ladder isn't kind

I like starter deck duels a lot and complete quests with that and jump-in pretty often.

For me, only way to learn the meta is to get bonked on the head by sweaty players, so I'm doing my research on how to ease in and get used to the shallowest part of the pool. Ixalan block only strategies can be competitive, but so much of the power is at the rares - I don't think any budget decks work (outside of maybe Caves because of the sweeper)

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Welp 2/3 with yesterday's one. Lost the last match on 'all lands wrong colour no player before turn 3 > all lands wrong colour > 2 lands Guidewing into Barto, sac Guidewing to explore, fail to hit land, get edicted.

Fuckin hate that last match.

Sac isn't great in the format because there aren't quite enough payoffs. You'd ideally want to sac those cards that draw you + gain life vs sac real cards like Guidewing.

Supposedly there is a BW control deck that works. And Mono Black control can be pretty busted. I think the general gameplan is remove their resources, possibly stabilize with lifegain as anti aggro plan, and grind using recursion.

If you're having a tougher time this format, lean towards drafting more white and/or blue and look into getting into Blue Red (generally aggro/tempo) or Blue White (can be aggro flyers or more controlling with artifacts - the difference is the curve/gameplan because white/blue cards can play both control and aggro roles).

And if any drafted deck is confusing when building it out, just ask yourself what's your game plan and what the opponent is doing that will prevent you from winning. It's a bit like constructed in the sense that you want to understand the meta/opponent's gameplan and build around it.

Good luck!

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 25, 2023

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

big scary monsters posted:

I was also playing Standard yesterday to get my weekly XP wins before they refreshed. Went 9-2 with monowhite humans in Plat ladder, losing to monored and WBR Dragons (??). Not really sure what the rest of the meta is, I guess durdly midrange decks that I didn't get to see what they were doing before I killed them. I've liked humans for quite a while but it seems like they're especially good now: I guess nobody wants to play control with Cavern available and that means fewer sweepers to worry about.

Mono U felt pretty bad to play with all these Caverns, basically blanking out a bunch of your cards. I think counters won't be great in this meta.

I crafted Mono W and it's pretty powerful (my winrate is definitely lower than 9-2 though :)).

kung fu jive posted:

Struggling with cuts down to 40 for this premier draft.

Pool: https://www.17lands.com/pool/6352d44d6f55450da6232fe2990a95eb

The 46/40 I have so far: https://www.17lands.com/deck/6352d44d6f55450da6232fe2990a95eb

Any help or criticism is appreciated.

Think I like these cuts, basically a controll-y deck that grinds them out and flips your artifacts to win.
https://sealeddeck.tech/FKDAAxsFnl

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Not an optimal pile, but if people want to play the protect Malcolm gameplan, this deck is pretty neat

Deck
4 Malcolm, Alluring Scoundrel (LCI) 63
21 Island (XLN) 264
4 Spyglass Siren (LCI) 78
4 Out of Air (LCI) 69
4 Haughty Djinn (DMU) 52
4 Spell Pierce (XLN) 81
4 Essence Scatter (IKO) 49
3 Fading Hope (MID) 51
2 Flow of Knowledge (BRO) 49
4 Thirst for Discovery (VOW) 85
3 Slip Out the Back (SNC) 62