Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

Jim Davis (and lots of others) said Sheoldred was a crap mythic story/commander bait card

This is very true, it was a widely held opinion. Like 50% of videos I've watched since DMU release would say Sheoldred was overrated and then queue up a deck that has no answer to her and then realize that they're going to take 6 damage next turn from their Fable of the Mirror Breaker.

The most skilled standard constructed streamer right now is Chris Botelho and it isn't really close from what I've seen. Chris has made two tier 1 decks in the last two weeks that nobody was even close to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Explorer Monowhite Humans is missing Mutavault and Brave the Elements from the Pioneer version. They should put those in the Anthology.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Good to see Intrepid Adversary unbanned with Meathook gone.

King Darius the Extra Large also becomes a card I will think about.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Print more Pioneer directly into Standard please:

https://twitter.com/GavinVerhey/status/1586032357630304256

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Kashuno posted:

Anyone know what's up with the "Mixed Up" Magic 30 draft? Is it a full priced draft that is just random cards, not curated like a cube would be?

Main thing to note about it is that it isn't Phantom like a Cube draft typically is. It's random packs assembled from all sets on Arena (I haven't seen any alchemy cards either) but collated like a typical 15 card booster in terms of rarity. 1 Rare/Mythic, 3 UC.

I think it's actually kind of bad, chaos drafts sound fun in theory but aren't as fun in practice imho.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
https://twitter.com/HipstersMTG/status/1600888107699675138

Wonder what kind of sweetheart deal Arena got out of Epic in return for seriously hampering their player growth for a year plus.

But at least I will be able to update Arena in the background and won't be hit with a multi-GB patch when I want to jam a quick match.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

precision posted:

That sounds incredibly unlikely.

I used to insta scoop to t1 Ruin Crab back when Rogues mill was a thing and never got the message

Maybe it triggers if you scoop before the match even starts a lot?

It sounds like a half-solution to the accounts that would auto-concede to certain other accounts and fill up the top of the Mythic ladder some time ago.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I honestly did a double-take when I heard somebody actually speaking Phyrexian in their lore promo video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2nHjMVtDqI

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Jolo posted:

I've become interested in playing Magic because it totally passed me by as a nerdy kid. I've played through the color challenges and found the tutorial matches to be pretty fun and interesting to learn some of the mechanics.

The final matches for each challenge against people have all been really hard to understand. Played one earlier and the other player had a bunch of Werewolves that triggered a Day/Night status that buffed/debuffed his wolves. They ended up with a ton of creatures on their side and when my turn came, deciding whether to attack with my flyers, which he couldn't do anything about, was this very hard to parse math problem where I knew I needed to hold them back to block because they couldn't finish him off on that turn but deciding where to block and with what was just a nightmare.

I figure the number one thing is just experience to make decision making there a bit easier to understand. Having played a couple of other similar-ish card games like Legends of Runeterra and Keyforge, I think the hardest thing to wrap my head around with MTG is the way creatures don't retain damage from turn to turn. It adds a layer to deciding when to attack/defend that for whatever reason is really hard to wrap my head around. In Magic, if I attack with a 4/4 creature while my opponent has a 5/5 creature available to block, it's an objectively bad move unless I have a followup card ready to go to pair up with it. This element of "I shouldn't attack because I'd be throwing them away" has ended up in a bunch of games where both sides have a bunch of creatures and it gets really difficult to understand (for me). It's also possible that the people I'm matching up are also new and they're also hesitant to attack because they don't want to lose creatures.

So, now that the training wheels are off and I can do many different game types, what's the best bet for actually learning the rest of the game? The Jump In type seems good because I would be going up against simpler decks that aren't optimized for rear end kicking.

Any good resources for just past beginner on youtube/elsewhere? I've found that there's a ton of tutorials for absolute beginners and people who know the game well but not a lot in that range of "I have a good grasp on the rules but am still kinda lost."

Sometimes it's good to think of Magic in its physical form with actual playing cards as a reasoning for why certain mechanics work the way they do. Tracking damage on every creature from turn to turn is a lot of bookkeeping. Why do some cards require to reveal things that are typically secret to your opponent? It's a measure against cheating in the physical game.

But yes for newer players I would recommend Jump In and draft. Draft is expensive as a new player but there is no better way to force yourself into the habit of doing combat math. I would recommend Jim Davis' Bronze-to-Mythic Limited streams. He goes in to new sets very unprepared (for a professional Magic player at least) and focuses on learning the new set and teaching the foundations to players who are comfortable with the rules but want to improve their game.

https://www.youtube.com/@BronzeToMythic/playlists

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
absolutely wild that this is a proliferate set without basic +1/+1 counters. A few cards get around this by getting +1/+1 for each Oil counter on them. I'm very interested in how this set will play in Limited.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

The first proliferate set also did not have +1/+1 counters in it. they were -1/-1 counters, and also poison and charge counters

Very true, I never got to play Scars of Mirrodin. War of the Spark and Modern Horizons 2 had +1/+1 counters all over the place so it'll be a change of pace.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Hasbro was targeting 2022 for the Steam version but missed and now it's due this year along with a new UI. Console versions are in the works too apparently.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Chamale posted:

I'm very light on white and red playables. I could try to go three-colour, or I could accept that I got a bunch of good green and black uncommons and try to make that work. Currently trying the latter strategy, but I'll also see if I can win games with my bombs.

I'm very curious about your deck and the rest of your pool if you're deciding not to play your Eternal Wanderer. Classic bomb, excellent when you're ahead or behind.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
You know how Arena releases a 30 card Alchemy set a month after every standard set? That's kind of what Aftermath is reminding me of, only it's legal in Standard.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
All 5 Phrexian Praetors show up in ONE booster packs and are legal in limited play. Vorinclex actually rotated out of Standard because he was in Kaldheim. That led to an awkward moment on release day when a brewer made a Vorinclex Poison counter deck and realized he couldn't play it, that was funny.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I showed Alchemy Symmetry Sage to a Legacy player at the shop and he just started laughing

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

MasterBuilder posted:

So which streamer posted the kethis, Jace self mill historic deck?

A team at the Arena Championship that included Ondrej Strasky played it over the weekend to a top 4 result and Crokeyz has been working on it.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Incredible.

Don't know if you need it or have room for it but Ghostly Pilferer could be an option for this theme as well.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Chamale posted:

I got suspended for a week for winning two games with the Ninja's Kunai bug, so they are cracking down on it. I wonder if people who used it more than that are getting longer suspensions.

Arena announced the longest suspension they're giving out for abuse of the Kunai bug is 3 months. Sounds like some people abused it severely in ranked or events.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Alchemy wasn't designed for limited and the only reason they did it was to quiet some criticism over card acquisition in Alchemy sets and juice the numbers of the format. Most limited players are very much enjoying Shadows Remastered at the moment, and ONE limited was an acquired taste to many.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Jakosa posted:

The upcoming 'battle' type cards look interesting. I've seen some Arena videos of people playing them and I'm wondering who the controller is.

Arena places the battles on your opponents side of the board when you play them. But do they control it or do you? What I'm wondering is, if someone needs to sacrifice a permanent, who can then sac it? The person that cast it or the 'protector'? I assume the person that cast it.

The person who cast it is the "Controller" and the person who has it on their side of the board is the "Protector"

So you can sacrifice a Battle that you've cast that your opponent Protects. But note that sacrificing won't trigger the Battle to flip over, they need to be "defeated" by removing the counters from them through attacks, direct damage, or effects that specifically remove counters.

I'm very interested to see how they play out, I don't know if they'll have much of an effect on constructed but new card types are very unpredictable.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 14, 2023

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Yes it's an interesting note that this first batch of Battles all have the Siege subtype (i.e. they're all "Battle -- Siege"). I expect other subtypes will work slightly differently, like a subtype where you Protect your own Battles that you've cast, but that is very close to a Planeswalker. Or a Battle that both players can Attack and Protect.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Why does this game make my PC sound like it's about to fuckin take off

make sure you're limiting your fps because MTGA is on Unity Engine

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

god this set is so cool lol

I love Caetus so much

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

In a format of so many bombs it really feels like a standout lol... maybe a bit of a buildaround but like if you stabilize with it the vigilance + mountain of mana is wild

snyprmag posted:

Too bad it can't be a brawl commander

Keep an eye out for this spicy one with Caetus, destroy four enemy creatures with this one simple trick that opponents hate:

https://twitter.com/powtipzy/status/1649532150943739904

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I'd expect the MOM trad draft queue to be absolutely brimming with Pro Tour players and their testing teams in preparation for May 5-7 right now

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

kanonvandekempen posted:

Could the thread recommend youtubers that play (historic) brawl at least occasionally with fun decks? I'm lazy and I like to copy decks and have fun with them. I've only really followed LegendVD so far.

A lot of good recs in this thread but I like Parnell:

https://www.youtube.com/@JParnellMTG

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

kalel posted:

the lore I made up in my head for bro is "two super nerd brothers bring about armageddon after feuding over who makes the best battle bots"

The reason for their conflict is even funnier:

The Brothers found a old Powerstone in a cave and it cracked in half. Older brother Urza took the bigger half and said "This is the MIGHTSTONE, you baby brother Mishra have the smaller WEAKSTONE, because you're a loving wimp."

And then they decided to plunge the world into Mech-hell.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Rinkles posted:

What’s the story behind Errant’s gun spray thing?

She's a graffiti artist.

But I think Giada put some anti-phyrexian Halo into her spray paint.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Judgy Fucker posted:

I am not a good gamer, I play Arena and Civ 6 and that's it.

If I already have Arena installed, what benefit, if any, comes to it being on Steam?

background updates so the client doesn't have to update every time you fire it up for the first week after a set release

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lmao a clean deification win... the opponent roped after this

I guess if they're just running the one copy of Boseiju? If I'm on the Scales side I'm just draw-going until I top deck one while hoping you don't play another copy of Deification. It's certainly not looking good for me though.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
https://magic.gg/news/arena-championship-3-standard-metagame-breakdown

quote:

Jeskai Dragons (5 players): Jeskai Dragons features the usual suspects for a midrange deck, such as Make Disappear, Fable of the Mirror-Breaker, and The Wandering Emperor, with Zurgo and Ojutai as a win condition that provides card advantage turn after turn. Invasion of Gobakhan disrupts the opponent, boosts attackers, and protects the Dragons.

Expect to see a lot of Jeskai Dragons on the ladder once the decklists drop tomorrow morning.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Rinkles posted:

A big problem with the wedge decks in Standard right now is that their mana sucks compared to the shards. We’ll have to see if it’s good enough.

It's interesting because a lot of pros looked at the data from the Standard Pro Tour and noted that the Esper Legends and Grixis Midrange decks performed better when they ran fewer ETB tapped Triomes. That idea directly contributed to the creation of the Jeskai Dragons deck I'm betting, along with Lithomantic Barrage being a pretty good answer for Raffine led to the death of the Esper Legends deck in this really small metagame at the Arena Championship.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 26, 2023

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I think most people knew Fable was strong but not the format defining card it ended up being. A lot of people were higher on Kaito Shizuki being the better 3-mana draw engine.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Jabor posted:

See Double on Raffine precombat. If they pay mana for Skrelv then they're locked out of Eiganjo and dead on board, if they pay life they're down to 7 and dead even after killing a Djinn, so they have to let it happen.

Then you swing all and need to find two Djinn-pumping cards in your top 3 for the connive.

It's a good play, but the Eiganjo's Channel ability gets discounted by all those legends down to a single W.

That's still probably what I would have done, just hoping they don't see the immediate danger in the Raffine Connive +1 counters because they can Eiganjo the target in response, but I'd hope they miss that I could discard further instants to pump the surviving djinn, that I was sandbagging the true dangerous card by trying to bait out their Skrelv activation.

edit: lol I'd be tapped out after this line, this is why I can't play blue tempo

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 2, 2023

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

bad_fmr posted:

I started looking at ranked now that the season is about to end. Have to say it is a bit disheartening to face the same few meta decks over and over even in low bronze.

Would Alchemy be any better in this?

Alchemy is kind of stale at the moment with less diversity than Standard. Standard is kind of unexplored, not many pro players and streamers have been focusing on it since the bans. The top decks are probably there from momentum more so than proven performance.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

fadam posted:

There was a build of Nexus pre Uro and Typhoon that ran that bounce spell that amasses and the army was the only real thing that could attack and close the game out once you had your loop going. Real sicko poo poo.

Reminds me of the time when Temur Wilderness Reclamation was the most popular deck but their only wincon was Expansion // Explosion. It lasted about a week before the various control players realized the only thing they needed to do to win was save their Dovin's Veto for Expansion // Explosion. Literal easiest match up.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Megasabin posted:

I appreciate the detailed response. I think this set feels samey to me, because in my 4 drafts so far it's either been running over people early game with Jeskai color combinations or getting run over by said color pairs, which does feel a lot like LCI to me. Based on my limited experience this does not actually seem anywhere near as Khans (which I did draft for the flashback) and people without 2 drops are going to lose if they are playing a morph turn 3 as their first play. I could end up being totally wrong.

It does sound like I have correctly identified that Ikora and MH2 are sets considered to be good because of their unique archetypes and mechanics. I guess my original question was-- how often do they release a set that goes for being unique like this? Is it like a once a year thing, with the rest of the sets sticking to the standard themes, but changing out the abilities/mechanics for ones that are similar but slightly different fare.

Sounds like this year I can look forward to MH3.

The design of limited archetypes in a typical set they usually are sorting the 10 color pairs into three buckets:

Default - one of the typical archetypes for a color pair - 3-5 pairs will be the default
Familiar - one of the frequent archetypes for a color pair - 3-5 pairs will be familiar
Novel - something pretty new or unique for a color pair - 2-3 pairs will be novel

Maro wrote about the basics of limited design:

In the case of something like LCI it worked out like this:

Default - Rakdos descend/sac, Orzhov sac, Azorius artifact control, Dimir Graveyard control
Familiar - Gruul dinos, Izzet artifact aggro, Simic explore, Golgari graveyard midrange
Novel - Boros Tap Your Own Stuff Midrange and Selesnya "Buffs"

In the case of something like MH2, everything's power level is punched up, and the archetypes are intensely interwoven. In MH2, the novel archetypes were Gruul Storm and Simic Junk Tokens. And I think Gruul was kind of a miss but the rest of the set limited archetypes are bangers. I even have a little MH2 set cube.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

General tactics question for draft:

You're on the play, and you have the classic 2 Mana Conditional Counterspell in hand. Do you counter their 2 drop with it?

On the draw you probably try to hit their 3 drop, but what about on the play? Or do you just fit it in wherever in your curve you don't have anyhing else?

In a fast draft format, i.e., most of the ones from the last 4-5 years, I'm being the most mana efficient I can and countering the two drop if the mana is otherwise going to waste. I'm then hopefully pushing tempo as I'm on the play and am going to have three-drop out vs an empty board or a measly one drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

distortion park posted:

Almost just threw a limited game because I didn't realise that Taii Wakeen, Perfect Shot and Deadeye Duelist work brilliantly together until the very last moment.

Holy poo poo yes, I'm definitely keeping my eyes open for this combo, both on guard for it and as a drafting opportunity.