Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

yeah, for explorer decks, you kinda need to check playingexplorer, mtgazone, untapped.gg, mtggoldfish, and aetherhub, and basically just try to figure out the common denominators because they all suck in their own ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I haven't been able to play much in the last few days, but from watching streams, it looks like 90% of standard is that mono black deck. I have seen 1 post asking if Sheoldred deserves a ban. This is that deck that pops up and just dominates the first week or 2 of standard. Do not dump wildcards into it, it will disappear so completely that its like it never existed in a few weeks.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I don't usually remember who posts anything unless it was particularly egregious, but I remember this happening in Eldraine standard with Dance of the Manse too. I forgot what some of the other week 1 standouts have been in other sets, but that was was dominating and had people calling for bans before never being seen again.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Bugsy posted:

Gyruda was everywhere first week of Ikoria standard then dropped off the face of the earth.

True, but that was at least as much due to the companion rule change. Ramping to 6 and hitting at least 1 Spark Double was kinda funny and not a bad board position for turn 4. making it cost 9 was too much though.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

My memory might be off but I felt Gyruda fell off way before the rule change.

Might be. I guess I don't remember that well either. It was definitely a week 1 stand out I guess. Ikoria came out May 15, and the rule change was june 1

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Clean Your Teeth posted:

Trying to re-make my Rakdos Sac deck in new standard; here's my current attempt:

Deck
2 Sokenzan Smelter (NEO) 164
7 Mountain (HBG) 304
7 Swamp (HBG) 300
4 Haunted Ridge (MID) 263
1 Takenuma, Abandoned Mire (NEO) 278
3 Sengir Connoisseur (DMU) 104
4 Hungry for More (MID) 228
2 Experimental Synthesizer (NEO) 138
2 Eaten Alive (MID) 99
4 Goldhound (SNC) 108
4 Body Dropper (SNC) 168
3 The Meathook Massacre (MID) 112
2 Ob Nixilis, the Adversary (SNC) 206
1 Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance (NEO) 276
4 Fable of the Mirror-Breaker (NEO) 141
2 Tramway Station (SNC) 258
2 Field of Ruin (MID) 262
4 Oni-Cult Anvil (NEO) 230
2 Infernal Grasp (MID) 107

Feel a bit like I'm pulling it in two directions, with the Smelter, Anvil & Synthesizer on one side, and the Body Droppers, Sengir Connoisseurs & Hungry for More on the other, but the latter need the sac fodder of the former. Fable's just too good value to leave out, even though I sort of hate it.

Feels a little light on spells - I don't think card draws are going to be as useful as Deadly Dispute was. Goldhounds aren't a great replacement for Shambling Ghasts either, but I think better than Unlucky Witness.

Playing around with the idea of adding in some Burn Down the Houses and more Eaten Alives / Infernal Grasps, but not sure what I'd cut for them.

The Pioneer version of this deck cuts the anvils because there just aren't enough artifacts to make it work. It also plays Unlucky Witness, that card is pretty good. Bear in mind that if it dies on your opponent's turn, you have until the end of YOUR turn to play the cards. Of course it also can rely on cat oven and mayhem devil, and man lands to close games, as well as a Jegantha out of the sideboard. In standard, there aren't as many benefits to sacrificing creatures so you're better off just going midrange with Braids and Sheoldred and more kill spells and blood tokens.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

quite stretched out posted:

can you even quit and rejoin for a new pile or are you just screwed

Its unlimited games, so eventually you'll get opponents that draw worse than you 3 times. Play around with your build too. I was just changing my deck to complete quests, and see how things work even if they didn't look like the best things I could be doing.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Didn't they do a weekend event for infinite "free" sealed decks a while back? I didn't really notice any more broken decks than usual. though I think they might have just removed the resign button for that event, since it was phantom and paid out 100 gold total, which was how much it cost to play

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

At this point if you still play arena on mobile, you signed up for this poo poo.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Boxman posted:

I've got enough WCs for an explorer deck. Something top tier? Spirits? Something dumb? Gates? Something else? What's fun in there?

I think the top decks are Rakdos Sac, Rakdos midrange, mono-u spirits, U/W control, Abzan Greasefang and possibly mono-g ramp. In bo3 at least. Mono red is better in Bo1. There's also a budget boros heroic deck that seems bo1 exclusive, because I've never seen it. And there's one guy out there that was playing gruul dinosaur tribal in bo3 plat, so follow your dreams I guess. Lately people are playing a bunch of golgari midrange, which just seems worse than Rakdos, except you get to play Scavenging Ooze maindeck, also an excuse to play Tireless Tracker.

There's also a green or green white hardened scales deck that might be good. Might want to maindeck Ozoliths though because like 60% of your opponents are running 4x fatal push. Grinning Ignis combo is a real deck too, and I think the new red defiler just added another way for it to combo off (not really infinite, you need to have more life than your opponent). I've seen a few people playing Simic Flash, Dimir Flash, and straight up zendikar standard rogues.

I haven't played much explorer since the new set, so I don't know if anything changed. The meta is pretty wide open though

Gates is better as a historic deck, since you get to play Growth Spiral AND explore, and you get a few extra gates from the alchemy set.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I feel like Lilli is slow for greasefang. What would you even cut for her?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Lord Banana posted:

I way prefer the gameplay but I wish it was 4 wins or 2 losses like sealed. I find losing a game and knowing that means you've lost out on another draft really demoralising.

That only happens when you rely on winning drafts to pay for drafts. Once you realize drafting is a black hole where all of your disposable income goes, losses stop mattering so much. You can always buy more gems, getting good at draft is EXPENSIVE and there's really no getting around that.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

PlayingExplorer just released a new tier list for explorer, and this time, there is no S-tier deck. They have rakdos mid down to A, and it's largely because of Abzan Greasefang. It's currently the 3rd most played deck, and has a 66% winrate. It might be the best deck for Liliana of the Veil right now. Those are the 2 A-rank decks right now.

Other than that, not much else has changed. Mono-red seems to have solidified into the Embercleave/Torbran builds. B tier is like half the decks in the format. Rakdos Sac, UW Control, Spirits, Mono-G, Jeskai Curiosity.

They did note that the only thing keeping UW control in B is that they use a rolling average, and that its play rate is dropping rapidly, mostly due to Liliana. It is entirely possible that it may drop another tier or even 2 by the next report.

Rakdos Sac and Jund sac seem to be merging, and the best version seems to just be rakdos sac, but splashing green for Korvold.

Humans just doesn't have enough gas to beat a resolved LotV backed up with other removal spells, and nobody is quite sure how it should be built, though Abzan is the most common now.

mono-G stompy seems to be well positioned, though almost nobody is playing it yet.

Dimir Control is a somewhat new archetype that is only rated low because it's pretty new, though its averaging a 57% winrate.

Omnath decks have gone 5color with Leyline Binding, and has a good matchup against Rakdos Mid, though its pretty bad against mono red and mono blue.

D tier - lots of new and evolving decks here, some have a good winrate but low play rate, some are crowd favorites despite not being as good.

Dimir Rogues - basically the old standard deck but with thoughtsieze and push
Mono black midrange - could have something here
Fight Rigging - low play rate, sometimes just does nothing
Enigmatic Incarnation - seems strong, low play rate. Leyline Binding into Agent of Treachery or Titan of Industry is fun
Golgari Rock - list is still being worked on, but plays similarly to rakdos mid, and you can play LotV so it can't be too bad. Right now, doing worse than Fight Rigging

Edit: This is all for the Bo3 ladder

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Are Angels a thing in explorer?

not in Bo3. They're A tier in Bo1 though.

Edit: you could try it, but I don't think they show up in a significant number, or win enough to be included in the tier list. Angels seem to fold to any interaction.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 16, 2022

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

MasterBuilder posted:

My heart goes out to all those UW players that cling to Teferi's robes like a baby's blanket. I can hear them cry out "It's not fair, my opponents cards generate too much value. I can't be expected to go down in card advantage to remove graveyard trespasser. I wish to sit behind my counter spells and twiddle my thumbs. If I don't play like this the combo players will run rampant, then you'll want me back"

I looked up what Pioneer UW control looked like, since they also have to contend with Rakdos Mid and Abzan Greasefang, and its 99% explorer legal. The only difference I saw were some Yorion lists putting 2 Baneslayer Angels in the sideboard. Its the same deck. I suspect that a lot of UW players are just jumping on the Dimir Control bandwagon since UW basically hasn't changed for months

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Just trophied my 2nd ever DMU draft in Bo3 with this monster

https://www.17lands.com/details/c70dfc54bcf84e178c5bc5c88a1b8b0f

Tatyova is gross, especially with Rulik Mons. Just swinging with a bunch of 3/3s and get another free 3/3? don't mind if I do!

Someone saved me by casting Take Up the Shield on the creature my Ivy was blocking, so Ivy also got to live, and gave me a VERY important 3 life.

I punted game 1 by accidentally choosing 2 creatures for Threats Undetected, then shame conceded. There probably should be an "are you sure" for us less smart people. Didn't end up mattering though.

Never lived the dream of copying Combat Research on Ivy, but it was pretty useful whenever it showed up. It was good on Figment, and REALLY good on Nael. I got to cast Herd Migration twice and it was everything I dreamed it would be, a pile of 3/3s.

Going for lethal, and casting Colossal Growth after blockers feels so good, especially when Ivy copies it, AND you have an Electrostatic Infantry on board.

Somehow never got mana screwed, which is cool. I kept a lot of opening hands with lots of lands and no plays before turn 3. A lot of times, my opponent played a tap land and a 2/2 for 2, or 2 tap lands.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I think my only problem with brawl is that I can look at a commander and immediately see that there is a "good" way to build it and a "fun" way. and if you build the fun way, you will only get matched up against good decks. And sometimes there are entire color pairs like simic where basically every commander does the same thing so I just wonder "why am I not using one of the better ones" or the commander basically builds the deck for you, like Ivy or Verazol or Rivaz

You can try making the fun version good, but that involves taking out all the fun cards and putting in all the good ones, until you basically end up re-inventing the wheel.

Like I wanted to try Jadzi, Oracle of Arcavios, but he's so expensive that I'm basically just making U/G ramp, with expensive stuff that he can cheat out with his magecraft ability. But you're ramping so much that you can just cast stuff. Unless you have a bunch of cheap instants and sorceries, but then you don't really care about playing those for 1. Also his back half is really bad, unless you have a way to return lands to your hand. you're basically just playing him for his colors, and using it as an excuse to make a "less powerful" U/G ramp deck because people won't play against your Uro deck anymore.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I'm so tired of eternal spoiler season. "hey gently caress those lovely cards you already bought, get a look at THESE new cards! Pretty awesome huh? Well you can't get them yet so please go out and hype them up". It would be one thing if we could trust that they knew how to make interesting standard environments, but the biggest standard deck showed up immediately after release. It took 0 days to figure out that putting all the good black cards in 1 deck was miles better than basically anything else, except basically the same deck, but splashing red for Fable too.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

bad boys for life posted:

Is explorer like 90% greasefang decks? Was hoping I could play jank somewhere but the meta decks are boring as hell.

Lmao I was saying this would happen back in August. It won't get a lot better when we have full pioneer either, it's a top tier deck there too

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Hooplah posted:

I like cling to dust as a greasefang answer (one mana, instant, doesn't leave you down a card, can be replayed) but i'm sure one of you pros will tell me why that's not a good idea in bo1

Mostly because after the first time it costs 4, and you need to keep your graveyard fed, and they're beating you with Chariot and probably Graveyard trespasser from the sideboard

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

So, the first explorer anthology had a few cards for the top tier deck, and a couple of strong tier 2 decks (kalitas, mausoleum wanderer, supreme verdict, elvish mystic Hangarback Walker (this might be good when we get Nykthos),
some janky budget decks that used to be good (Ensoul Artifact, Darksteel Citadel, battlewise hoplite, favored hoplite, titan's strength)
a rock deck that isn't very good but everyone wants to play it (Siege Rhino, Tireless Tracker)
some brawl cards (Alesha, shadowborn apostle)
some sideboard cards to shut people up who complain about certain decks (slaughter games, tainted remedy)
and some cards that might be good, or someone might be able to do something with them if we get some other cards (back to nature, temur battle rage, Rally the Ancestors)

so pretty much every card in the anthology does something. whether or not it does something GOOD is debatable, but they have a reason for being there. Given that, I wonder what we're going to see out of the next anthology?

I'm guessing Nykthos, Thing in the Ice, and maybe swiftspear or dig through time for good constructed playables

probably hidden strings and thespian's stage for the janky budget deck. (We're getting Pore over Pages in shadows of innistrad remastered (probably))

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

flatluigi posted:

i'm expecting some stuff that plays into the whole phyrexian/brother's war arc thematically to tie into the main set, some stuff targeted towards bringing down the greasefang and lifegain decks in power level, and some stuff that ostensibly are for explorer but also gets targeted towards bringing down how good izzet wizards is in historic.

i like the cards you're suggesting; i wouldn't be surprised to see abrupt decay. most of the cards i'd particularly like seeing are likely to be in SoI remastered, yeah

I really hope its Nykthos and Thing in the Ice, those would bring 2 pretty much brand new archetypes into the tier-1.5 zone with Spirits and UW control and mono-red. People are already playing mono-g ramp and it's a solid tier 2 right now. Karn shutting off vehicles, AND being able to tutor for Unlicensed Hearse means it can sometimes do well against greasefang. a good UR deck would be great too, because they can play the tempo game vs greasefang. Burning or countering greasefang while getting payoff from casting spells, so they don't lose to the midrange plan B

For that matter, I kinda hope we don't get abrupt decay because that would be so good in greasefang.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

drat, I forgot how many good cards SoI had

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I'm fine not ever seeing skullclamp in historic.

I still love that when skullclamp was first spoiled the article pointed out how it was broken as hell. The -1 toughness was supposed to be a downside, originally it was +1/+1!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

There are 2 alchemy formats. Standard Alchemy and Historic. There is no non-alchemy historic. Some cards are rebalanced for Historic as well, and those won't be changed.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I knew it was a good event when I picked Johnny and won with turn 1 simic ascendancy, turn 2 mind's desire, play my whole deck, replay the demon that gets +1/+1 counters a bunch of times to win on my next upkeep

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

brugroffil posted:

do I still have time to craft meathooks and get the wildcards back

I think the ban goes into effect tomorrow, so yeah

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Why do they keep running fun meme events at full price? I'm sure some of these are fun, but probably not fun enough to justify their cost. (I know the answer is to drain everyone's gold/gems before an expansion)

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

yeah, a 4-mana 8/8 with no hexproof, no protection, no haste, no flying no trample not even ward is not constructed playable. A vanilla 4-mana 20/20 MIGHT be constructed playable because at that point, all you'd need to do is give it trample or haste to be immediately lethal, but that might be the limit for a vanilla creature that costs more than 3

The white mode might be a little more playable, because for 4 mana, you're getting 4 +1/+1 counters and a 2/2 body, and you can put those counters on better creatures. Its a little like the green gearhulk, except that also had a bigger body AND trample

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

wait, they're going to let historic have Ashnods Altar, Altar of Dementia, Wurmcoil Engine and Charbelcher?

also, Phyrexian Revoker is probably going to be pre-banned in historic brawl because otherwise it would go in every deck

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Isn't Dark Ritual legal in Historic? Seems like rituals are necessary for this deck. Turn 4 is sloooooowwwww. Especially since any removal will set you back.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I didn't see a lot of powerstones in my prerelease. I had 2 cards in my deck that could make them, and I played against 1 guy with the spider that makes a powerstone for both players. I went in assuming that people could expect to see roughly 2 powerstones per game and the big creatures were balanced around that, but it might only be 1.

The format seemed slow to me, I didn't see a lot of 1 or 2 drops and nobody was particularly aggressive. The Unearth cards seemed powerful though, allowing you to out-value your opponents by always having something to do. My opponent was in R/W/b and the red unearth was pretty good, the white one let you go wide especially if you have any soldier tribal payoffs. My opponent had the Anthem with the o-ring ability that came up huge for him.

The biggest thing about the prototype creatures is that everyone has a big guy that will end the game in a couple swings eventually, or force the opponent to trade multiple creatures, so I feel like board stalls will be less common. There also seems to be a lot of haste with unearth, so if you're at a low life total but try to stabilize with a board wipe, you can't just say "I'll be fine as long as they don't have something with haste" because there's a red prototype 7-power haste creature at common, as well as a bunch of unearth creatures that can get in for 2-3 damage with an upside.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

protip: mentally replace "powerstone" with "..." because they don't do anything. You'll never have 2 on the board at once and you're not casting a 7 mana creature. That's not an option. Don't draft thinking you can, you won't.

Seriously.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

flatluigi posted:

this is hilariously bad advice in even the few draft games i've played so far

there's SO MUCH you can't use them for though. I've always wished my cards cost 1 less and didn't make powerstones. Just play normal creatures and turn them sideways.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I started brainstorming for an Urza brawl deck, trying to meld him. But then I just realized that the best way to do that is to play straight up the most boring possible UW control. I don't think any of the powerstone cards are good enough for historic brawl, so there probably isn't any point to trying to ramp into big artifacts or meld him early. I think the way that deck wins is tutoring for the mightstone/weakstone, and then on your next turn, tapping 8 lands/mana rocks and the mightstone/weakstone to play and meld urza while holding up counterspells to protect him and wiping the board repeatedly.

Mishra might be a little easier to meld, since the dragon engine is a creature, black has better tutoring options, and the dragon can be played from the graveyard. You can also just go wide with Mishra on the top of your curve. Of course if you're going aggressive, then the meld is only a backup plan, or just a distraction so they hold up removal for Mishra while you just kill them with other stuff instead.

Titania might be the hardest because if you use her for the commander, there are only 2 cards in mono-green in historic that tutor for any land, Ulvenwald Hydra and Elvish Reclaimer. Though you probably could tutor for THOSE to get the land and meld her. She's also the most underwhelming though. On turn 6, you maybe get an 8/8 trample haste that can turn a land or 2 into 4/4s. I probably wouldn't make her the commander. But her and her land would probably go in a Gitrog Monster deck, or something simic.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I got the full set of Tron Boys and a Self Assembler to tutor for one of them in my phantom sealed, and they won me a game, so this is a good format. Painful Quandry also won me a game but that's not as exciting, that's just what that card does.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

yeah, powerstones are just there to let you cast big cool giant robots in draft, they're not supposed to be constructed playable, so they can't really cost less than 3 without a drawback. I think the huge cost activated abelites came later in design to make use of powerstones if you don't have any/enough big cool giant robots

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

It'll be interesting to see how Explorer handles mono-g without Phoenix. Though we're getting Thing in the Ice in SoI remastered soon. Honestly I wouldn't mind the format getting crushed by a different deck. Or maybe even have THREE tier 1 decks

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

People on reddit shifted seamlessly from "being mad that this anthology is poo poo" to "being mad that they found out it's not poo poo too late". Too late for what? Who knows. people on the MTG subreddit are feeling a lot of big feelings that they don't know how to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I saw someone complaining about it on reddit, asking all innocently like "who me? lil ol me? what' is "tanking" your "mmr"???

It sounds like every single time someone complains about being banned "unjustly" from any game ever, and it turns out they only communicate in-game in slurs while paying someone to rank up their account