Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
We should have stuck with the Elder Dragon Legend names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

MikeC posted:

I paper draft weekly with some buddies who are very good Arena players (3 of them are ranked Mythic) and they were discussing the power of rares and uncommon in a vacuum (so useful early in a draft before you have a direction or to see if something is particularly open). This is what one of them came up with on discord. In the rare image, the Battlemage Captain as a power-level reference.

Hopefully some of you guys struggling with limited might find this helpful. As always though, and I can't stress this enough, it is very important to draft a deck and not simply pick "good cards" in DMU. If you have found your lane through P1, seeing something super good in P2 is not an invitation to grab the card and splash it or move in or something if it doesn't fit your plan or the cards you have already drafted aren't versatile enough to accommodate a new strategy.

The Devastator and Danitha belong in a column of their own, those you almost always take P2P1 and shift or splash for, and give strong consideration to doing that P3P1.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

What decks would be enabled if mtgbro has the tron lands?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Boxman posted:

I just cast Rakdos, Showstopper against that green deck when they had 5 creatures in play and none of them died. I moused over each of them in turn, then Rakdos to make sure I wasn't missing something. The opponent then threw up the new goblin rimshot emote. I got a good laugh out of that.

Anyway that's my fun friendly emote story.

Was there a maskwood nexus in play? Several of the decks run one.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Ithle01 posted:

Whoever made the ban list for the midweek event didn't know that monoU tempo existed. None of the good cards are banned, go nuts with a top tier standard deck.

I did fine (3/1 with the loss on what should have been a mulligan) with a basic ConnIvy deck.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Interesting question: what should a card that just says 'make a tapped poqwerstone' cost? 1? 2?

1 colorless phyrexian mana.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

'Draw a card' is a weak rider on a spell you really only want to win the game with though.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

There's an explorer anthology coming out at the same time as bro alc, so those first two are probably in it.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

It's secretly more white than red, very nice in WB or WG shells.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

I got my token with Werewolf wolf pack, an obviously synergistic combo. 7-2 though.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

It looks like a trainwreck, not enough poison or proliferate for that side to work, not enough artifact density for the eyes.

Finding a place for the second immobilizer would improve it; you're so low on interaction you really need it. But nothing completely fixes having the Blue half of a blue white deck and only a few black cards to pair it with.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

P2p4 and p2p5 should both be vraska's and p2p9 should be the dose, and p3p4 should be the skulldweller; those are the most obvious misses.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Share Bear posted:

i just 1-3d two drafts in a row and am very tilted.

here's what i know about both drafts:
- i had very little standalone removal
- i had very few late game bombs or things that could overrun another opponent
- i could have mulliganed better in specifically loss 5

draft one, where i thought i had something decent based on incoming cards, pack 2 was abysmal
the most recent loss is here, with UR artifact stuff

Draft one, you're taking high end too early (I'd take chorus and disruption p1p2 and p1p3 over the 6 and 5 drops) and through the whole thing taking way too many corrupted payoffs and too few toxics.

Draft two, eye isn't p1p1 material, I see three better picks, maybe four (sentry, stand, rabble, and maybe glider.) The rare drafts didn't help either. Tablet was worse that a lot of that pack, and Arena to edict is just baffling.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

It feels that way to me and it's 90% Thalia, which is so much better on the play than the draw that it should probably eat a BO1 ban.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

The draft looks reasonable to be, only issue is the Ribskiff, which isn't good, shouldn't have picked it and should have run the second duelist over it.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

flatluigi posted:

arena draft packs are identical to paper draft packs

Arena packs don't have foils and so can't get the extra rare/mythic/uncommon when the there's a non-common foil.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

If you don't kill the rotpriest the lack of intervention is on you. And if they won't let you kill the rotpriest, well, that is interaction.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

ram dass in hell posted:

weird af for 5 card packs and such a small set! Glad to be wrong though, i love limited formats and weird as poo poo limited formats especially.

It's going to draft like the Alchemy releases, one slot for an aftermath card in each pack probably replacing a common.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

The schedule doesn't gave the Kamigawa Neon Dynasty premier draft mentioned in the announcements for late July, so I'm not sure if older set premier events are in it at all.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Khanstant posted:

I've been having fun in Alchemy and Historic Brawl lately, but I really wish we got some standard + LotR mode. Is the reason it's not standard entirely because of the UB aspect or would the ards themselves gently caress things up? In either case, monthlong-madness me an option hosed up mode for it anyway.

I think the set was in the works for a long time without a specific home on the schedule, so there was even less testing than usual for what it would do in standard. (As it happens the next set will almost certainly have a big food theme, so the chances of something standard-breaking happening may be real...)

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Also, modern horizons 3 will be on Arena. As apparently will be pioneer horizons, only on Arena and not in the picture. I don't think they said which one of them will be the mastery path season between Caverns and Manor.

The word 'alchemy' did not appear in the prsentation.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

kalel posted:

the only thing wrong with no ban historic is that it's not best of three

Nah, it's that they did it before printing and banning Blood Moon rather than after.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Bombs, rectangles, efficiency, aggression, dorks to fill your 23

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

You have your pick between mono-red burn, mono-red goblins, and mono-red dragons.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

It's just going to be Modern Horizons 3 constructed eventually.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

kalel posted:

the quick draft event with the "discover 5 at your end step" emblem just ended. it was kind of fun looking at cards I haven't thought about in a couple of months and figuring out the new pick order (spoiler: not much different except Curator of Sun's Creation was suddenly the best card you could draft).

I had some success with drafting radically different, deprioritizing tricks and 1,2,3, and 6+ drops other than the very very top end, being 5 color and bumping up treasures and the 5c cave a bit. Also bumping up the 3 creaturs can't block and discover card; it's a stall format.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

The little bow and arrow icon in the corner has been there the whole time, but people kept bashing their fliers into reach creatures, the time for elegance has passed.

Creatures with Reach and other keyword abilities just had three dots there before, those were the sneaky reach creatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

Also the mastery pass for this set goes up to 110 and there are actually some gems, gold and boosters part 80. Is it an unusually long time until the next set release?

The next set is MH3, which isn't going to have a mastery pass (they're doing something else that they haven't announced yet) so OTP mastery lasts until Bloomburrow.