Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Jabor posted:

My man if you're not having fun then literally just stop playing. The world is not going to end if you miss a daily.

Like, it sounds like this isn't a transient dislike, it sounds like you literally have never had fun playing the game. Why are you bothering in the first place? Are you imagining some future time in which it will suddenly become fun? Just go outside, touch grass, find something you actually enjoy doing instead. Life's too short to spend your leisure time on doing extra chores in a videogame instead of something you enjoy.

This actually describes why I quit Arena a year or whenever ago. I realized I was stressing about dumb poo poo that didn’t matter. But knowing that didn’t actually help. The pressure remained even though I wasn’t spending much, so I walked away.

It sounds silly, but it ruined the game for me. I guess I’m just psychologically vulnerable to the sticks and carrots of F2P Skinner boxes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kashuno posted:

I've lost enough matches to Vorinclex to just absolutely hate that he is in this draft format at all

sorry, what draft format?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

oh, i had no idea

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What format do you play to do dailies with?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arena didn't used to sell Wildcards, right? (no that I'm buying)

Can someone remind me if there's a reason to use coins instead of gems? Does it depend on the what it is you're spending it on?

I have 86K coins, and just under 7K gems, if that matters.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I did a few Jump Ins to reacquaint myself with Arena (and it might be the paid only event with a 1:5 gem to coin ratio).

As always, pretty awful format but it was the right level of competition for me, and acted as a crash course of all the mechanics I missed over the last two years. As a happy coincidence, 2 of the 3 decks had cards out that blue tempo deck I was looking at, so that's a few less wildcards I'll need, 2 rares included.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Also cool way to find out Veil Lili was reprinted.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I have 1.5 times as many uncommon wildcards as common ones (collected over a year or so), and I don't think I redeemed that many more commons. Do packs have less of them? I guess it would make sense, since you get so much more regular commons than uncommons.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is there no precise date for when the mastery pass ends?

If I’m only starting now, will I still be able to complete it without playing every day? I’ll probably get at least the 15 weekly wins, and on average a few daily ones, plus the quests ofc.

And am I remembering wrong, or did the paid mastery not used to give more gems?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks, I guess I’ll just see how far along I get and decide towards the end if it’s worth buying.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I play Bo1, but I see Bo1 like a bit of a nonsense format because of how much the games feel like a coin flip.

That’s why I recently asked about giving the on the draw player some kind of extra minor advantage.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Could someone with an Untapped sub look at the rotpriest deck win rates?

I’m curious if it even shows up in the bo3 top list. In bo1 platinum its win rate is 56%, which seems respectable (I’m guessing around the average of untapped users).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

flatluigi posted:

standard bo3 from feb 7 to now, plat to mythic:

same settings, over the last week:

looks like rotpriest toxic got abandoned in bo3 after its showing at the beginning of the meta.

Thanks

I didn’t think RDW would be that high up in bo3

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I’ve been thinking of putting together a budget mono red deck, because mono blue isn’t cutting it quest wise

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Come back opponent, I didn’t actually have lethal!

Been kinda lucky today, beat mono red three times in a row.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Maybe it’s player error, but playing against the deck has not impressed me. Without Rotpriest it does a lot of wheel spinning, and can be disrupted. Probably helps that I’m playing with counter spells and fliers.

I’m much more afraid of the Selesnya variant, which puts on more pressure and is fully focused on toxic.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

If you're talking about daily quests, unless you're trying to stick to Constructed Ranked - HB is great for that. It requires a decent number of WCs up front, but relatively few ongoing. A handful of decks will cover multiple colors pretty easily, especially if you go with the 5 color commanders (Niv Mizzet, Esika). It's also a great format for it because in my experience, most people just treat it more casually - they're more likely to stick around for awhile, which helps to close out those dailies faster.

I also just find it more fun so I have to support it :shobon:

Got any lists? I should have a fair amount of cards from two plus years ago, but I barely know any recent cards besides the current standard mainstays.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Nope, but that did come up in an earlier game. It wouldn’t have been a problem on desktop, but I didn’t know how to activate control on iPad (press and hold your avatar).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Blue mirrors are funny. Had a match where the first ten turns were nothing but cantrip wheel spinning from both sides. Both of us had to discard to hand side at least once.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What did you replace the counters with? Impulses and the like?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Maybe it’s not a problem at Mythic, but the higher my rank, the more timeout sore losers I encounter. I don’t get why people do it, maybe it’s mostly kids. It’s so petty.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What win rate do you need to go infinite?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is there a site that tracks Alchemy errata? I don’t think Scryfall does.

I was interested in Painful Bond.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I’m looking forward to Shadows Remastered. I have fond memories of the draft formats, and the countless hours spent in Duels.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Got a deck list? More to know what I’m up against than to craft. I encountered it once and lost, though it was after a mulligan.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

This week’s midweek magic got me thinking whether mono blue will survive rotation. Some core cards will be leaving like Consider, and most crucially Thirst for Discovery. Still two sets to go, but currently I think there’s no viable replacements. Losing Fading hope will also hurt because that scry is actually really important.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 8, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Opponent’s face upon seeing my hand, apparently

Mono black is usually fairly tough, I don’t know who’s favored, but they have enough removal to tax your protection spells, and a fairly fast clock if you ignore the board. Their big creatures are vulnerable to bounce, though.

Also I’m beginning to think mono red might be a good match up, cause I keep winning against it. Maybe because there’s more of that Mechanized Warfare version, which runs out of steam quicker and is more vulnerable to Negate which I prioritize in my deck.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 9, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

flatluigi posted:

there's a rotation every year, and we''ll have a little more than three entire additional sets in standard when rotation hits this year (March of the Machine + Aftermath, Wilds of Eldraine, and Lost Caverns of Ixalan)

they're right, it's way too early to speculate

Isn't rotation before Caverns?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I think wotc has learned their lesson that just like 2 mana black kill spells, it’s healthy for a format to have 4 mana wraths.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

rickiep00h posted:

There isn't really anything that I'm like "god drat, gently caress that card, I can't wait til it's gone"

Thalia on the play makes me feel that way sometimes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

do you think you get some wins because people don’t realize what they’re playing against? It’s just so funny to see Atraxa alongside a phoenix chick

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Strixhaven was a great format, but definitely not something that's easy to just jump into.

Codie is a cool card but you need to build your entire deck around it, or with it mind at least.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Nice perk of playing blue is that more controlling opponents respect the possibility of you having counters even if you don’t… which then gives you time to draw them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I haven’t heard of anyone loving it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Starting out too gives me a lot of the vibes of when you're just starting out playing the game and build decks around the three-four rares you actually own alongside crap that magically works one in four games.

What’s unfortunate is that I’m pretty sure after a week or two you’re moved from the beginners constructed pool where you mostly play against others with starter decks, to the regular pool with everyone else. That makes wins more of an uphill battle. I hated when that was me, and it doesn’t feel good to stomp on those decks from the other side either.

I’m not sure how it would work, but I’d welcome some kind of lower power format for starters (like no rares, or something).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Obliterators probably means you’re already there, but I think ranked is always merged anyway.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

How have the Remasters been? (Did these sets need remastering?)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I’m happy to replay the format, just wondering whether it needed tinkering with. I guess there could be cards that they can’t program into Arena, like potentially Emrakul, that would require cutting.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

space uncle posted:

Game 2: Opponent drops some Grixis lands so I drop Thalia turn 2. They play absolutely nothing. On turn 4 they drop Sheoldred and I Soul Partition it on upkeep. I swing in and leave them at 2. They scoop. Keeping a hand with your first play on 4 seems insane to me.

Maybe they had Fable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

space uncle posted:

Yeah you’re probably right. Another reason why Thalia is the best worst card in Standard.