Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I started playing literally two days ago and I'm level 9 now. I opened a Kenrith from one of the codes though, so I mashed every half-decent card I have into an awful 5c historic brawl and got my 3 wins in maybe 6/7 matches.

Only one of those wins was a freebie, too (and I think I was in a fairly good position when my opponent disc'd). I didn't see any broken poo poo, the most powerful deck I faced was a monoblack control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Algid posted:

Yargle event is about as soft as MWM so you'll get a bunch of bad players spending forever tanking but from what I can tell just play Blargle for the good mana, I'm 8-0 so far.

Mana hasn't been a problem in my experience, but all decks have the same issue: with 9 Yargles sometimes you'll draw like 4 of them in a row and then you just choke, unless your opponent is courteous enough to accept to trade them - which rarely happens since the decks are full of chumpers that can't trade in the first place, so the opponents will race you instead and win.

UB lets you surveil out of such issues somewhat, but other colours have arguably more powerful combos to pull off. In other words, donīt worry and just play whatever colours your daily quests want, and just concede if you have a hand full of nothing.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Thoughts on the last couple of cuts here? It's my first time drafting U/R. Shackle Slinger seems the weakest card to me, not counting Gardener which mainly stays in to have a chance at enabling Breeches/Vault (though a mana dork with some life seems suitable). But I'm not sure about the other - I'd like to lighten my curve a little but all my 4+ cards are good to great.

Cards I already cut:

- Semi-vanilla dorks like Daring Thunder-Thief and Djinn of Fool's Fall
- Magebane Lizard, fits the curve very well but it's gonna hurt me more than my opponent
- Ferocification, seems strong but more of a RW or RG card
- Fleeting Reflection, neat but I can see it being dead or a 1-for-2 a lot of the time

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Draft build advice?

https://sealeddeck.tech/w8XDqVC8ly

Lots of solid cards, but short on removal.

I'm thinking of keeping it simple https://sealeddeck.tech/brREXa30xj and cutting all the stuff that enables One Last Job. I just worry that I'm gonna face a 7/7 or something and have no answer besides Betrayal at the Vault + Ankle Biter.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

First shot at DMU draft and I think I bungled a bit. I had a pretty solid G/U start, then W was silly open so i moved there, then P2P1 I got Sol'Kanar and that convinced me to try for a domain deck, but I only picked a couple of duals which forced me to grab manafixers. At least I had a colourless bomb P3P1.

https://sealeddeck.tech/QXmkY3PDB7

Four cards left to cut, and several playables in the SB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

Phew, tough build - you have a bunch of not very good cards, and not a great plan overall. Just going through
- Inscribed Tablet is very, very meh and not great fixing - especially if you don't even have a good selection of duals to hit. I'd consider not playing it at all
- Artillery Blast consistently underperformed. Runic Shot is better in the same space
- Choking Miasma is very iffy, even with the Kicker it's hard to have it just be punishing for the opp. Otoh you don't really have great "big plays" otherwise, maybe it'd be a great surprise to win with?
- you have a lot of mid creatures in general. Soaring Drake is fine. Benalish Sleeper can be good but not at all in a deck like this. Barkweave Crusher and Linebreaker Baloth are very 23rd card-ish. Even Elfhame Wurm, which looks like it has great rate, costs to much for not doing too much. And for a signpost uncommon, Tura Kennerüd also underperformed a lot. The thing is, if you cut all of those, you're just too low on creatures in general, so I'd keep em all. Just notes for the future
- your mana situation is abysmal, with only a single dual land, all of your 2drops in W, your higher end all in Simic, and a BB removal on the splash + a bunch of other great B cards

the good:
- Cut Down, Urborg Repo and Tail Swipe are all excellent targets for Micromancer who is also excellent
- Destroy Evil is a very solid maindeckable removal in this format
- Tatyova is probably the best uncommon in the format and after Sol'Kanar the best card in your deck. Hell, maybe she's better than Sol'Kanar, and definitely easier to play
- always good to have Extinguish the Light

imo your best plan to win is to have Tatty go off, or generate a bunch of value with Sol'Kanar and/or Micromancer. You could theoretically add another possible wincon by adding Strength of the Coalition and Scout the Wilderness for a sudden win out of nowhere with a go wide and buff strat, you don't really have the creature base for that either though. It's tough. Maybe with Tura that's a possible angle though, and Scout at least would add more mana consistency. It also helps you ramp for Tatty and Sylex.

How about this: Tablet, Blast, Bite Down, Miasma, Prophecy out. Barkweave Crusher, Benalish Sleeper out. Scout the Wilderness, Impulse, Strength of the Coalition in. I'd love to replace the Rootweavers with any other creature in your main colors, but you don't have those. By removing primarily W and B cards, your mana is less strained, and with two cards (Scout and Impulse) in your main colors that can look for more sources, or, for the second one - if you are fine on mana - your wincons, you gain a lot more consistency.

EDIT: btw I forgot to change the lands, don't keep them as is

Thanks for the feedback! I unfortunately saw this post after I played the draft, going 5-3 which was 1.5 more wins than I had expected going in (I'm Plat 4 ATM).

I ended up with 41 cards cutting Drake, Miasma, and one Rootweaver, figuring I'd go for full long-term grind plan and hoping I wouldn't see too many fliers. That's how it panned out, I lost to two aggro decks (Izzet and Boros) and auto-lost one to my mana base, the others I stabilised at like 5 life then won with Tatyova or Sylex silliness.

Some replies to your card comments:

- Tablet was pretty solid actually, since I had plenty of turns with one spare mana or keeping removal open so it fit very smoothly and digging for a Forest could singlehandedly turn a mulligan into a solid hand

- I realised why you rated Runic Shot higher than Blast after getting screwed by Take up the Shield, and proceeded to sub it in

- Miasma would actually have been really loving nice against the Soldier tokens I faced three times (one of them a loss). In hindsight it would have been better than the Sleeper, but I wanted one more reliable way to get rid of Sol'kanar and i was worried about the double black

- Tura sucked, but she ended up having a better role as removal bait before Tatyova or Solly dropped

- Prophecy was overkill CA, I thought it could help dig for bombs but between the Vineshaper and the Tablet it was unneeded. An Impulse would have been better, and either Miasma or Stall for Time even more so, mana permitting.