Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
both gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

I trophied my first draft (RG oil 7-2, despite a few sequencing issues as I got used to the cards) and I was just awarded a loss after I won my game in my second draft (should be 3-2 with a weaker UW artifacts. It's not fast enough to win quickly and doesn't have an evasive enough top end) so hopefully it's a free roll. :toot:

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Your best case scenario is that you draw a bear in the next two draws. If you draw like skullbomb, infectious bite or some "fine" draw, then you're going to have a tough time doing anything if your first play is an (essentially) vanilla 2/3.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Hammer Bro. posted:

Yeah my first go of post-ONE standard was against that deck and I was dead before my fourth turn, despite casting two removal spells (which were both avoided in a way which killed me harder).

I'm looking forward to crafting it; feels like a tempo deck with a quicker counter.

you have to play two removal spells in one turn but its okay if you durdle a while to do it because you basically dont need a board until you do that and then you can just play all your cards and hope you win before they find another rotpriest

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

the card advantage is tempting but the 4/5 haste (and give your next creature haste) and the 5/5 menace reach are much better cards and you really dont want to play that many 5 drops. the life gain is fairly marginal since the only decks racing rg are trying to win with poison counters

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

fridge corn posted:

Skipped 1000 posts. Is ONE any good as a limited format? Just got a new big phone that even has a stylus so thinking my playing experience might be greatly improved over the potato galaxy s8 I was using before and I might start playing again.

a 1 mana 1/1 that when it dies makes another 1/1 that cant block is one of the best cards in the format and a sign that white is open when you see it like 5th pick

a 1 mana 1/2 vig flier is an even bigger bomb because it can block 1/1s and even trade with a 3/1 vanilla creature thats the best two drop in the format

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

i wasnt playing magic when strixhaven came out and omg this format is amazing after the sheer efficiency that one limited is

i drafted the ug deck for mwm and my cards reward me for having 8+ lands on the field and playing do nothing sorceries and im just durdling around and effortlessly destroying the aggro wb and rw decks

i am playing 2 1G gain 4 life. learn. and they absolutely own!!

being a dumbass college wizard is way better than getting compleated

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

i didnt realise you can cast the exiled card even if they remove hoarding broodlord. i was afraid to tutor my best cards in case they removed it, lol.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

argh the auto tapper really annoys me because i cant tell when its going to prompt me to tap my mana after i cast a spell (e.g. to leave mana up for ephara's dispersal) and when it's just going to tap for me without telling me about "recalculation"

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

some classic momir stuff

opponent: elesh norn, grand cenobite
me: avacyn, angel of hope

opponent: blazing archon
me: pass the turn to try to get to 10 for ulamog

opponent: bringer of the red dawn so i'll lose next turn
me: path of peril off the top, essentially plague wind with avacyn

how could anyone not love this format

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

wait, they nerfed kumano, but didn't implement any of the standard bans??

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

now that creatures are good, limited is mostly about playing good creatures and using all your mana every turn (i.e. a good curve)

a 5 mana sorcery speed removal sucks if you need to use it on a 2 drop thats attacked you for the last three turns
a 5 mana 3/3 flier sucks if your opponent has a 2 mana 3/1 first strike and a 3 mana 3/3 vig in play

the real part of limited analysis now is figuring out whether a set is synergy based or value based and when you should just take the strong card in the vacuum and when you should take the card that takes more work to make good

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

yes. the latter (you just have to play them before the format rotates).

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

playing a little standard while drafts are hosed up and mono red having a 1 mana answer to sheoldred is loving rad

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Halo Hopper looks like its the main reason for the deck, lol. A 0 mana 3/2 seems like The Point. If I had to pick on something, it'd look at Skrelv. It doesn't seem like its worth the wildcards over, say, Iron Apprentice or Spectrum Sentinel.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Had 3 red quests so fired up a woe update to monored. Forget the name of it, but the steal your opponents creature for a turn effect from WoE is a fun inclusion. Never really got to use that effect to much use on limited, thought about making a commander for it but friends play too many spelly decks. So I enjoyed finally getting to try it out in standard. There are enough good obstacles and early threats to make use of it. It's especially good against a monored with the celebrate dragon man.

Twisted Fealty is actually the fifth best uncommon in the format (and second best in red). It's (surprisingly) an auto-include in any red deck.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Two trophies with some bombs so then I follow it up with a very mid BG deck that goes 0-3 because it doesn't do anything.

Then I draft a weird one.

https://www.17lands.com/deck/c8b9365071714bc69e29fe78fee3a1a3

MonoB splashing Gruff Triplets? Normal deck.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

got some chores tonight posted:

Two trophies with some bombs so then I follow it up with a very mid BG deck that goes 0-3 because it doesn't do anything.

Then I draft a weird one.

https://www.17lands.com/deck/c8b9365071714bc69e29fe78fee3a1a3

MonoB splashing Gruff Triplets? Normal deck.

Went 7-1, lost a game because I kept a terrible hand. (The games were too easy so I decided to raise the difficulty to CharlieFoxtrot level (two swamps, all three drops on the play did NOT work out)). Saw Gruff Triplets twice; I top decked it once in a position where the Lord Skitter's Butcher in hand won on the spot, and once in a game where I had one forest all game.

Rats >>> Goats.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Flowers For Algeria posted:

This one does

Also, I don't understand how or why, but playing the UW control deck in the event, I got paired against what seemed to be a monoW control deck that's not on the list. I have no idea how that happened.

The event puts you on the actual ladder, lol.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

oooooh

So the MonoB deck that rinsed me was not just a Golgari deck that can play like a MonoB deck

Wow that's idiotic haha, I don't like being the guy who's all negative, but this seems ill-advised from the get-go. The decks aren't remotely balanced against each other, perhaps with an exception of equipment being good against control, but against the free for all Alchemy ladder? That's insane.

The cynical would say it's to artificially boost Alchemy's player count to justify its continued experience (and the associated employee-hours to design and implement the cards).

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

The format is pretty swingy. Sometimes your opponent just play a busted 5 drop on T3 and your hand is all durdle cards. You can probably play it out, but it's so easy to just concede and re-queue.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

kalel posted:

just wipe the historic ban list clean. bing bam boom

Hopefully that's the plan. Format feels a lot better without Channel. It feels high powered with Monkey, Oko, Natural Order, One Ring (among others), but there are reasonable counters in Swords, Bolt, Counter Spell, etc. There might be some busted T0 deck that arises if it became a permanent queue, but I'm really digging the Magic for now.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

wasteland is functionally time walk in the aggro vs 4-5c soup decks, especially in a format without fetches.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

I haven't played that much yet, but I'm getting the sense that it's a lot more aggressive format than initially billed (i.e. the durdley self-mill, craft stuff takes a back seat to all the little fliers) and that guy seems kind of bad at playing magic and making strategic errors. He complained all the time about ONE, which was a similar format.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

...rectangle theory?

Tokens are rectangles so the 2u 3/2 flyer that makes a map or the 2r pirate that makes a treasure are good because they make two rectangles. It's somewhat universally true, but the RW theme is basically rectangle maximization theory.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

Don't have a lot of limited takes for the set that aren't the most bog standard thing, but now that I decided to grind out Mythic instead of jumping between accounts all the time here is my take: Staggering Size is real good and you should be disappointed if you don't get 2 copies in most of your green decks. BG grindy? You want those sweet Staggering Sizes. GR stompy? No need to explain. WG whatever the hell it is supposed to do? Smash Face Better. UG - well, why not. It's such an incredibly basic combat trick, but it's also probably the best it's been in ages. No Dreadmaw's Ire, but what is.

My most drafted green common, and my winrate in green while climbing was higher than my overall winrate.

Whether it's dodging that -5/-5 or damage-based removal, uno-reversing the fool who tried to Malamet Battle Glyph you, surprise boatload of damage for the U/W player that tried to chump your non-tramplers with their stupid 1/1 tokens or just a plain honest all-american combat trick to Win Fight - Staggering Size does it all!

I mean you're not actually taking them over Kincallers and Poison Frogs, are you? It's just that they're always available tenth pick and you're playing two (I've been trying to play only one, but I could see two being the right call)

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

https://www.17lands.com/deck/b85ac444dbaa440fba3dd26566304558

First 7-0 in a while. The person passing to me P1 and 3 was hoarding all the packs, so presumably newer to the format, and R felt very open that way and U was open enough coming the other way to put together a good UR deck after I opened Breeches.

23rd card in was the second Sunshot Militia, but I found myself discarding the Careening Mine Carts the most to Wanderglyphs and Pirate Hats.

got some chores tonight fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 25, 2023

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah tbf I more mean 'if there has to be a ranked draft queue at all can it not be Bo1'.

At least make the Quick queue unranked.

IDK whether I've just been missing open lanes or whether i've just been in generally lower-quality pools but I've really struggled to put together the low-end playables in a way that works,s o whern I've won it's usually been either massive bombs or getting super lucky with getting hooked up on good commons.

It's obvious when I'm in a very open lane, but I'm never sure when i'm not whether it's just because one or more colours happened to be poo poo in pack 1 so everyone's fighting over a smaller batch of cards.

One of things I find helpful when I actually do it is opening 17lands during the draft to see what was taken on the wheel. Sometimes good cards wheel because of bad evaluations, sometimes because it's the fourth best good common in a super deep pack, sometimes because it's actually wide open.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Time posted:

Played for 9 hours over two different train trips and went from plat to mythic in standard. Was nice to enter mythic in the number ranks this late in the season. Standard is pretty fun in the real sideboarded format

I played the best of one queue for an hour to test out the maindeck of a brew and it’s the most brain dead poo poo I have ever seen. Every match is on rails because decks don’t have to respect sideboard answers. There are no real decisions to be made in most games. It’s so much worse gameplay - not even remotely the same format or thinking about lines. Don’t play this poo poo it will make you bad at the game and rot your brain

I haven't played any Standard yet; what's the meta like? Still a lot of Esper midrange? I imagine the little bat is pretty good in that shell.

I am getting a bit sick of this Limited format. I reiterate that it just seems like a format where you just want to win the dice roll and play little dudes, whether the shell is UR or UW or RW or RG or the good version of a black deck with the little bat and dead weights, especially as I climb the ladder (because every time I open a good UR rare; I force it and then I win 7 games). It's very ONE-y. All the counters are expensive. White has the only playable reactive cards, but it is also one of the better offensive colours so it's quite often over-drafted at a table with some drafters taking both the aggressive and defensive cards to make a mish-mash deck.

I really dislike formats where e.g. I have to look at a hand with three lands, two premium three drops, a do nothing (e.g. equipment, card draw artifact, combat trick, whatever) and a bomb four/five drop on the draw and know that I have to mulligan to some hand hoping for a bear or a flier or there's a 50/50 I'll just get steamrolled. (Perhaps that means I should draft Traditional, but Arena's pay structure doesn't really incentivize that). Conversely, I will admit that I like being the UR player who gets to do the steamrolling, but forcing those colours every draft isn't exactly fun either.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Oh and Discover and Explore are such tilting mechanics too when you're on an even-ish board and your opponent does something like Etali's Favor -> Etali's Favor -> 3/2 treasure pirate and then you go like Etali's Favor -> Sunfire Torch. SO TILTING

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Does anyone know what, if any, of the Secret Lair sleeves are animated? I tried looking this up a few times and could never figure it out. I need my digital card game cosmetics to be as distracting as possible.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Recruitment Officer attacks for 2 on Turn 2

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Bland posted:

LCI really isn't any more bomb skewed than the average set. You can roll over a ton of decks in this format using just the strong jeskai colour commons with a couple of the mythic uncommons sprinkled in.

It's a little bombier than normal. The uncommon with the highest GIH WR is (feel free to guess!) Zoetic Glyph at 63.6%. There are twelve mythics and rare above that with Bonehoard Dracosaur topping out at 71.2% (holy moly). In WOE, the highest uncommon was only at 62.7% with eight mythic and rares above it, Gruff Triplets only topping out at 69.0%.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Venuz Patrol posted:

i dont usually ask for draft advice because i feel like my primary problem is bad play, but this draft ended up being odd and i'd like to get feedback after the fact:

https://www.17lands.com/draft/5b0a71d603294bf186882d60bb0cb23e

i went 6-3 (in silver/gold, so not worth that much) and i think i ended up with a mostly decent abuelo deck, but i feel like i could have done better. I'm also almost certain the green splash was a bad idea, but the bedrock tortoise bailed me out in one of my games and i was reluctant to part with it after that

I think I would've ended up in RW.

P1: Abuelo, noting Market Gnome, Oaken Siren, Oltec Cloud Guard, and Tinker's Tote as potential wheels.
2: Shipwreck Sentry is the best UW card and is kinda replaceable, I would probably take Scallywag as the strongest card. I don't think the exile land is really playable in Bo1.
3: I think Petrify or Guidewing are defensible.
4: Chart a Course is fine, but Abrade and Scallywag still being in this pack indicate red is pretty open (tbh, I didn't even see Abrade when I first looked).
6: Tomb Raider still here is a big deal. I would definitely take it here and see what comes in red.
7: Wanderglyph is the strongest card.
8: Idol or Hoverstone are probably the strongest cards.
9: Idol wheeled, none of the UW cards did. I'd assume I'm main R with U or W at this point, depending on how the rest of the packs go.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

I'm just looking on my phone while walking somewhere else, so not totally focused, but I would take the opposite tack and slow your deck down, cut out the guidewing and hammer, put in the siren, and maybe the other totes. Totes, saw blades, mural are great late game cards but don't contribute to the Guidewing aggro plan at all. I think people underperform with UW decks because they just see parts of two sick decks (aggro, midrange) and smush them together, not realizing they're bad in combination

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

Where are those sleeves with the neon blue wireframe mountain art from? I was looking to buy them but they're missing so I'm guessing it must've been a Secret Lair thing.

This one? Cuz it's actually an island, lol.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Momir gets super tilting when people play extremely slowly, especially in the 3-6 mana region. They're all just dudes, just make a new dude, see if it changes combat math, and end your turn so we can get to the good (GAMBOL!!!) part.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

I haven't really checked (and as someone who took a ten year break from Magic) but I feel like Islandwalk & co. aren't keywords anymore, taking out another busted Momir mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

After distracting myself with other formats for a month and changed I went back and drafted LCI again. Got an easy 7-2 with GW based off of some bombs but drat was it boring. Had more fun getting trounced in Khans and I wasn't even that impressed by that set playing it for the first time. Can't wait for MKM to come out at this point. I don't think LCI is that bad a limited format by most metrics I care about, it just feels like it's made to be really boring for me specifically.

Yeah, I'm fairly over LCI and just waiting patiently for the Gestapo set to come out.