Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

waloo posted:

So everybody is just trying to forget about Riveteers, Brokers, Maestros, Cabaretti, and Obscura? Were the Streets of New Capenna really so traumatic?

They are not mentioned on the standard (let alone eternal) playable cards. At least not enough to impact the deck naming.
Similarly they don't have enough distinct identity to make it worth naming a deck by them.
The same thing happened in Ikoria.

There were a distinct Witherbloom (pests), Prismari (dragons) and Lorehold (reanimator) decks which used the name. But witherbloom was only B tier at most and the others lost too much of the specific identity and went back to the traditional names (or to Jeskai).
The Capenna name most likely to catch on is Raffine. He is mentioned on two cards that are important to a strong deck, and defines the color identity. Obscura, who?

tldr: I blame the triome names. And the not-triome names from Capenna even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I opened a total of 20 packs including sealed packs.
Now I got a playset of the cleric lord, and feel compelled to make a cleric deck.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The cleric deck is kinda funny, but not good. You only have anything resembling a chance if you draw more lords then your opponent has removal. if you are able to use the tutor mode, your opponent tends to resign quickly.
That red artifact deck also seems funny. Assuming you can gurantee that you draw all your patchwork automaton in the first 10 cards and the reinforced ronin to grow them twice every turn.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Clean Your Teeth posted:

Feel a bit like I'm pulling it in two directions, with the Smelter, Anvil & Synthesizer on one side, and the Body Droppers, Sengir Connoisseurs & Hungry for More on the other, but the latter need the sac fodder of the former. Fable's just too good value to leave out, even though I sort of hate it.

Feels a little light on spells - I don't think card draws are going to be as useful as Deadly Dispute was. Goldhounds aren't a great replacement for Shambling Ghasts either, but I think better than Unlucky Witness.

Playing around with the idea of adding in some Burn Down the Houses and more Eaten Alives / Infernal Grasps, but not sure what I'd cut for them.
I feel like this deck might actually be a useful home for the recurring cultist guy.
The artifiact version would rather run another synthesizer or epicure, and he is too weak for the midrange version.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Artisan event. My favourite.
The usual netdecks seem to be boring aggro only, so plan accordingly.
That alchemy set reprinted a lot of the old artisan favourite cards, making them legal. Especially deadly dispute.

Anyways walls are playable, based amazonian's standard list:

Vampires are practically unchanged and still great fun. Nobody expects the mysterious blood illness.
I also already saw a very strong domain deck that attacked with 10 power double strike trample on turn 3.
That queza deck from the picture also looked like fun.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Aaand, just saw a dragon tribal deck that didn't run any standard legal card outside of the manabase. Only alchemy stuff.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I wanted to play some more artisan this morning:
4-0 with my defender deck, all against monored.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I ran into a standard Esper Control that played so many walkers... i assume that saga would be good in there lol

Off the top of my head I remember seeing Kaito, Emperor, Sunset Teferi, Liliana, Sorin, and the Celestus

e:f,b

The one that sonio just uploaded a few hours ago?
https://aetherhub.com/Deck/-urzas-friends

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

In this draft format I have had matches decided by decking more often then in any set I remember. Maybe even including the one with a viable mill archetype.
I even just had the first time in several years of drafting on Arena where my 6-2 game wasn't decided by obvious screw/flood. Drew the last card in my deck and it gave me the 1 damage I needed for lethal.

Seriously tempted to start running 50 card decks or something. At least it will make cutting easier.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The fact that alchemy has a reprint of deadly dispute is simply hilarious.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I think there are some strong cycling cards in historic that are rare and useless otherwise. Which means you need to spend those or suffer the agony of playing a suboptimal deck.

Anyways, my opponents got flashbacks an conceded the moment they saw the cauldron familiar.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Me tuning into the only Historic streamer I sometimes watch:
Mythic rank #3 vs. a platinum player. Very dead format.

Though I suppose the actual shocking thing is how Mystmin got to Mythic in only 3 days with the way he plays.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

Anyone have a decklist for this week's Midweek Magic?

I saw a very annoying mono-red aggro list that seems to be a common netdeck. Anyways I was playing anvil:

Deck
6 Mountain (AKR) 318
2 Tenacious Underdog (SNC) 97
1 Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance (NEO) 276
1 Takenuma, Abandoned Mire (NEO) 278
2 Virus Beetle (NEO) 128
4 Experimental Synthesizer (NEO) 138
2 Ziatora's Proving Ground (SNC) 261
2 Goldhound (SNC) 108
4 Voltage Surge (NEO) 171
1 Sheoldred, the Apocalypse (DMU) 107
4 Fable of the Mirror-Breaker (NEO) 141
2 Sokenzan Smelter (NEO) 164
4 Oni-Cult Anvil (NEO) 230
2 Ob Nixilis, the Adversary (SNC) 206
4 Sulfurous Springs (DMU) 256
2 Liliana of the Veil (DMU) 97
2 The Cruelty of Gix (DMU) 87
6 Swamp (AKR) 336
1 Weatherlight Compleated (DMU) 242
2 Xander's Lounge (SNC) 260
1 Braids, Arisen Nightmare (DMU) 84
2 Soul Transfer (NEO) 122
2 Reckoner Bankbuster (NEO) 255
1 Karn, Living Legacy (DMU) 1

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

The dragon deck in the alchemy event that started today is very strong. Very quick 3-0 for me.

It looks like the same power level as the other decks to me.
Anyways, every game in this event was an easy win for the player on the play for me. I am currently playing against a strong goblin player, they are so baffled at the fact that they ended up on the draw that they roped out during the mulligan.
Alchemy.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Those gamer avatars are kinda funny.
Though Mythos the Mythic fan is kinda strange. I found the small print implying that she is a lore fan.
But I can't unsee Mythos with her deck full of mythic rares as the whale gamer archetype. The kind of magic player that does buy mythic wildcard bundles, or 1000$ proxies.

Also there is a customer survey advertised in the advertisings. You can tell wizards if you want them to focus on bringing 4-player games, modern format or deck sharing or deck rental to arena.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

flatluigi posted:

her name is vorthos and you don't have to have a deck full of mythic rares to make a deck that centers around a given character?

edit: do you not know what 'myth' means outside the context of 'mythic rare'

I do. But the first time I saw a character with a gold color theme and the title mythic on mtg arena the first association I had with those character traits has nothing to do with the story kind of myth.
I probably would interpret her differently if I hadn't encountered her while logging in only to check for stonks. Or if I hadn't encountered her right after the peak mtg finance announcements of last week.

Also, she has a massively mythic heavy deck in the current event. Even if it is supposed to Bolas themed.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Timmy is pretty fun, with all those big dinos.

But, Jonny being able to cast every card in his hand several times per turn is just cruel.

Spike brought a standard deck to an omniscience event.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Horace Kinch posted:

How is anyone winning at all with Johnny? I keep getting matched vs insane bullshit that makes me discard all my stuff while they just draw/remove forever and I'm dead in the water on turn 3.

Johnny draws his deck, plays his deck, bounces his deck back to hand, plays it again, then triggers aetherflux for lethal. On turn 1. And if the opponent survives he has the funnier wincons.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

This is seriously the best Omniscience event yet.

Average game:

Also, my prediction for the ban is that it will be for a format that is not on Arena.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The gently caress is this Spike deck? The Johnny deck has more removal than the Spike deck!

I refuse to play the Vorthos deck because Nico Bolas can rot in his plane for all eternity, I don't need any more reminders of that rear end in a top hat.

Spike brought all the cards that were annoying standard players for the last few years. None of them is useful in an omniscience context. It is a pretty funny joke.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

i hope we don't get tron lands. Because I enjoy playing arena pauper and artisan, and the formats will get worse with those.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Yeah the post brawl decks are kinda fun.
At least I assume so. For such events I choose a deck, and switch to the winner deck after every game.
So now I am 5-0 with Rackdos.
The last game took forever because I got some lifegains engines running while playing against the Boros lifegain deck.
They gave up once I got this hilariously dumb combo running:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Well, I tried the other 4 post decks once each and my conclusion is that each needs 10 more lands.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Lol, if you copy the decks into your collection they have the special purple dude avatars and you can use them in other formats.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Kashuno posted:

Has their been an instance of this level of meta share by a deck in recent history? 69% seems insane

I think Omnath might have had a higher share, right before the ban.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The free cube is kinda fun. I ended up as esper reanimator. Not sure if I am going to keep playing after I got my 3 wins, everybody having Sheoldred except for me is kinda annoying.

That one game where my opponent exploded after the third time I reanimated their Sheoldred was funny tho.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

A lesson for historic brawl brought to you by my most recent opponent.
Don't confuse Witche's Vengance and Crippling Fear. They are very different cards, even thought they use the same "choose a creature type" interface.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I haven't paid any attention to that card before. How are the odds for the autotapper handling it well?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

According to my interpretation of the article that was linked in the other thread, the finance guys are concerned that wizards doesn't focus enough on the real core audience: The collectors of unopened booster boxes with investment intend.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I wasn't paying attention. Do you get golden packs for the packs you buy in the 50$ bundle?
Otherwise it is finally officially worse then buying gems. I don't spend money anyway.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

My third game in phantom sealed. My opponent has surveil tribal and is digging through most of their deck while the board is stalled.
I topdeck my Millstone.

This is a good set.

Me opening my 3 free playbro packs:

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 15, 2022

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Did some streamer publish a Urza historic brawl deck? More then half of my games today were against him. I am playing Elas il-kor, and while I won most games I do think that Urza should belong with the other UW planeswalkers.

Also, I noticed that the voice-actor says "Urza Planeswalker" like a name instead of "Urza, Planeswalker".

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

In case you haven't found a new deck yet, sonio made a fun semi-budget deck. By that I mean that all rares are from older sets.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Ok, I do not understand the idea behind gladiator.

Your opponent is running a boring netdeck and takes several minutes for each turn because he has never seen the cards before. Also because it is a slow format the game takes 50 turns.
Afterwards you think:
"I don't want to play this person again" You are a Bo1 player.
"I want to crush him with some hate cards" You are a Bo3 player.
"I want to repeat this exact game 2 more times" You are a gladiator player.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Simone Poodoin posted:

When did they add the option to buy the 90 packs with gold?

I remember it being there at the last rotation. But it might be older.

e: Actually, it probably was with the Baldur's gate alchemy release. I remember first seeing those appearing with a set I didn't care about.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 25, 2022

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Peteyfoot posted:

Can I get recommendations for a tempo deck to craft as an absolute MTG beginner?
For standard Izzet prowess:
Cgb's version (no counterspells):
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/pClRku1nG0CGszN0KaYJ4g
Sonio's version, with counterspells. This has been my main deck for the past few days:
https://aetherhub.com/Deck/-this-card-is-busted

There is also mono-blue Djinn, might even be better bc the main downside is that it is unchanged from last season and thus boring :
CGB's :
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/vElG0FIpQkeActCefhx-QA

Or go to explorer and play mono-u spirits.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Just play catoven, everybody else is mono-red so winning is easy.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

precision posted:

I think if you made a deck that was both Soldiers and Mill, you would get a lot of early scoops lol

Hang on lemme brew it

That was my last draft deck. 4-3 never even drew the mindbreaker.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I just notice this in the explorer anthology announcement:

quote:

Bundle Available: December 13, 2022–March 7, 2023

Players will still be able to craft these cards using wildcards of the appropriate rarity after March 7, 2023.
Does that mean that players won't be able to craft Nyktos until March and have to buy the bundle if they want to use the card?
I don't think the older anthologies worked like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Does anybody know if buying the alchemy pack with 20 packs for the price of 15 gives progress for the golden packs?