Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I'm the sorta guy that plays some relaxing mono red aggro games in bo1 to quickly get some gold for wins and save up for quick drafts, and I just found out about a fun mono-blue aggro deck and I like it. Its not quite as fast as Red Deck Wins, but it has more interaction besides a few burn spells that my red decks tend to have - it can also sometimes do some absolute bullshit wins. Also has fewer rares than my mono red, which is funny. Its bad match ups seem worse for it than Red Deck Wins' bad match ups, but I guess that's just because RDW is so blazingly fast a single missed land can just lose the game to someone going against it even with a deck that should be able to fight it.

https://mtga.untapped.gg/meta/decks/192/mono-blue-tempo/AAQAAQABrMQBA9YV7pUCxqMgB_ewAr76HRaJfdumAZPzAjoBFYwFAA?tab=overview

its probably common knowledge that this deck exists, but I haven't run into it a lot. Or if I have, I guess I've just barreled through it with RDW and haven't noticed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

What's bad about delver? I like it, because I like getting aggressive asap. I don't have enough experience with blue decks besides some simic ramp decks to really evaluate what kind of stuff to replace it with.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

I've had a couple of really good drafts today, two Boros-decks where one went the distance and the other one that at least won its drafting cost back, but then I drafted a loving mad Dimir-deck where I opened Horned Loch-Whale and got a third pick Sleep-Cursed Faerie for some reason. I had one plains for Threadbind Clique's adventure, but I never got a chance to use it - the games where I could have used it the opponent died or conceded before I had a chance to use it even with a plains on the field. I was kinda worried about not having a lot of 2-drops, but it ended up being fine - Spell stutter, Candy Grapples and Rat out helped. Opening both Gumdrop Poisoner and Lord Skitter packs 2 and 3 made my midgame really good as well.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

WOE has been bad for me honestly. On premiere drafts i'm 42% which is way down among my worst performances from when I first started drafting.

https://www.17lands.com/deck/1947d214483c4b248c9719d814f37754

This deck I think epitomises my troubles - it has three very solid rares, including the biggest bomb in the format, and a decent amount of card selection and some ramp to get them out, as well as a solid game plan, and it absolutely didn't do BADLY in most of the matches - but I only saw Archon once and Bunnicorn once, and died in match four never having drawn a fourth land, and this just. Keeps. Happening. Whether I draft a good deck or a middling one, whether i draft incredible bombs or chaff, I keep just getting smacked around by variance and I'm finding it really irritating.

I really, really liked MOM, and it's very sad that the thing I liked most about it (Battles) probably won't see the light of day again for another year; they were a very good addition to the game IME because they make early board presence and damage matter so much more, and make early attacks not completely worthless in a lot of games. Which is reflected in my performance in that set, which is 5 to 10% better than my usual. IDK what I'm doing wrong, and honestly I'm not even sure i AM doing anything wrong, there really is nothing you can do when RNGsus decides you get a 1 land hand, mull into a 3 land hand, and proceed to draw zero more lands, and still not do BADLY considering it took OP nine turns to kill me when I had one play a turn.

:(

IDK this game continues to kick my rear end and I continue to wonder whether I should even bother to keep playing when the only play mode I like is essentially entirely inaccessible to me.

I feel like you should have gone heavier into green - your p1p2 was that one enchantment while you were offered a Candy Grapple and a Stormkeld Vanguard, both cards I would have picked rather than the enchantment in a heartbeat. Candy Grapple is one of the best cards in the set, and black green food is a really strong archetype too. Looking at the rest of pack 1, you absolutely should have been in black green, there were a lot of cards good in that archetype. The rare enchantment baited you into white, and white green is kind of meh unless you get the nuts, and you didn't really get it. Green also always should have a few big bombs, that's why you play the color.

There were also some main deck picks I thought were kind of questionable, Break the Spell, Charmed Clothier and Discerning Financier, but I think this was fundamentally a draft that didn't go where it should have gone.

SpiritOfLenin fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 1, 2023

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

I'm not sure how this one went 7-0, but I'll take it. Hard forced GU basically after opening Goose Mother, and got a good deck as a reward, even if turn 2 plays were often a lil iffy. Luckily most of my opponents didn't do much on turn 2 and got to play first a decent amount of times so the weak early game didn't hit so hard. Only casted Goose Mother once in the final game, lmao, and the only other time I saw it was at the end of the first game where I played literally all of my top end except the Goose Mother by like turn 8. The double Troyan was really good, a Troyan hit the table on turn 3 on around three games and was always helpful. I think the biggest factor might have just been the fact that I had a lot of card draw and thus always had something to do every turn.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Feels good that there's WOE quick draft for a bit, been eating poo poo in Ixalan and then skated on to an effortless 7-1 on a fun Goosemama-deck in WOE that also splashed Thalion and two Torch the Towers. The very first game on the deck made me slightly alter my lands after I drew like garbage, and then on it was pretty smooth sailing.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

That three mana alchemy red dino in draft can be quite silly if the opponent doesn't kill it quickly, had multiple matches where an opponent didn't manage to kill it instantly and it just generated so much value.

edit: is it just me, or is at least plainscycling on Soaring Sandwings broken? I couldn't use them to cycle last match

SpiritOfLenin fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 5, 2023

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

that does not explain anything about your weird meltdown

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

I got stupidly lucky in the phantom sealed midweek magic, just casually opened 6 rares that were red or green, and mostly top tier picks like Breeches, Sentinel of the Nameless City, Palani's Hatcher and so on, and green and red also had pretty good pools otherwise too. I think I'll play that deck for fun even after I already got the wins, because I'm never going to have such a good deck in actual sealed.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Haven't played LCI before, but this deck felt quite strong

Captain Storm was MVP

Captain Storm is one of the strongest limited cards in the set that isn't a rare, and I think a good UR-deck beats almost everything just through sheer speed and power. The archetype has a lot of good cards in it.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Man, for the first time arena cube has kinda clicked with me now - I've got a few drafts in this cube where I've finally figured out at least a couple of decent strategies and how to draft for them. Building around Primeval Titan and Field of the Dead can do dumb and fun stuff.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

I managed to draft a proper UW control deck with a slight R splash in the cube, and it is both very funny and probably completely infuriating to play against. One opponent conceded despite being slightly ahead on board with me at 5 hp just because he got tired of all his poo poo getting bounced, countered and who knows what else. I've even got to ult with the UW Teferi once - now granted, the opponent was dead on board but I still did it.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Shrecknet posted:

I'd be way more into cube if the rewards weren't absolute rear end. Why do I have to go 6-X to get 1000 gold? I could literally just do 1 daily quest/4 wins for that with 0 stress or buy-in.

cube is mostly just for fun and playing around with extremely powerful cards, any rewards you get from it are secondary tbh

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

imagine dungeons posted:

Who’s bringing a bunch of literal puppies into battle?

edit: like maybe throwing puppy caltrops behind you when you’re running away.

i think the card that generates them was called something like "dog walker"

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

BR crime archetype seems very funny in draft if you can draft it. Nobody else seemed to be going red or black very heavily in my latest pool, and I got an absolute banger of a deck filled with a ton of kill spells. The 3/2 2-mana merc that pings an opponent for 1 every time you play an outlaw is so good when most red and black creatures in the set are outlaws. I also got a lucky p1p1 Gisa, which combos pretty hilariously with the little fella. Every time you crime you just ping them for 2 because Gisa spawns 2 outlaw zombies when you crime and since the ping counts as a crime, even playing outlaws triggers crimes. I can see why Gisa was limited to once per turn, because otherwise that would be a 2-card infinite dmg lmao.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Well I just had a rollercoaster of a draft experience. First I drafted the nastiest UR Ixalan quick draft I've ever managed to do, with the absolute highlight of it being Breeches attacking with two other pirates on turn 4 in my last game that was an easy 7-1 (and the only loss was to never drawing an island), followed up quickly by a clownshoes GRW Thunder Junction draft that went 0-3. The deck wasn't very good, but never drawing any of the removal or bombs didn't help. All the pack 1 pick options were just awful to mediocre and it felt like everyone was drafting like maniacs. I saw 4 copies of "Annie Joins Up" in the first 3 picks of pack 3 (two of which were in my p3p1) and none of them wheeled somehow. I think its because the packs just didn't have a lot of good stuff in them and everyone was just trying desperately to get something playable going on (which included me, there weren't really any good black or blue cards that I saw so couldn't pivot out of the few good cards I got in other colors). Unusually low amount of rares and mythics going around for OTJ.

SpiritOfLenin fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 23, 2024

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Dimir crimes is both a fun draft archetype as well as a fun deck to play in standard Bo1. A lot of aggro decks just fold to a rather specific 1-mana discard card I found from Crimson vow that discards a card worth 2 or less mana and can be cast for three mana instead to take out any non-land card. Its funny how good the card feels against all the mono-red, boros etc. while still being useful in slower match ups.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

I just lived the dream in ranked bo1 with a dimir crimes deck where I exiled both all copies of the opponent's temur analyst as well as all of their copies of worldsoul's rage. There was a small pause when the analysts got exiled, but the opponent didn't concede until all copies of worldsoul's rage got exiled, at which point they waited a moment before conceding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Hammer Bro. posted:

Hah. Got my fill of draft so goin' back to standard with my same ol' decks.

Just ran into that 2/4 flier that doubles the loss of opponent life during your turn.

And Rush of Dread, which can cause an opponent to lose half their life, rounded up.

that is an incredibly funny combo