Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

precision posted:

Yeah I think the floor has to be a 0/1 that makes a stone. Even "draw 1, make a stone" feels pretty bad

I think the floor is basically:

W - target creature gains indestructible, make a stone

U - scry 1, draw 1, make stone

B - target creature gets -1/-1, make a stone

R - 1 damage to any target, make a stone

G - 1/1 dork and stone

1 - 0/1 wall and stone

Going out on a limb here and saying making opt give you a power stone would be way too good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Cry of the carnarium is another black sweeper option for historic with bonus exile.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

GrandpaPants posted:

They used to put the deep discount -90% stuff at the start of the scroll. I guess they started to sort by ascending discount for some reason?

If the deep discounts are at the end it means you have to look at all the others ones before you can see them.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

What? No. Matchmaking is randomly picked against opponents of similar rank.

If you wait until the end of a season to start climbing ranks, the opponents will be softer, because better players will eventually hit plat/mythic and be unable to fall below it. So near the end of the season the overall spread of good players/decks in lower ranks will keep decreasing.

Idk if it still works like this but this was absolutely a thing in mythic.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Is that really true though? the most egregious banworthy fuckups of the last ~3 years have mostly come from standard sets. One ring/fury/bowmasters/ragavan/Murktide are all obviously extremely strong cards in the formats they're legal in....but oko, lurrus, yorion, sheoldred, up the beanstalk, uro, field of the dead, once upon a time, and veil of summer were all printed in standard sets.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

fadam posted:

Yeah, that's been an absolute haymaker for me. You said Arena zoomers don't know how to Brainstorm, well they definitely don't know how to play around a Blood Moon lol.

Listen, some of us at least learned because we were the jeskai control assholes in historic right after they dumped mystical archives on us and decided brainstorm was an okay card to not ban. Even with fabled passage alone what the gently caress were they thinking.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Eej posted:

I think it's cool and good that they get to play loose with the power level in the digital Anything Goes formats. Well, Timeless is more this because Historic has never been the same since they started using digital rebalancing.

The first thing about coding is that things break in seemingly random, mysterious ways.

I would have bought that a lot more if they hadn't decided that brainstorm was fine but lightning bolt was not. At the time bolt was almost certainly too good anyway but brainstorm was just on another level.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/comments/18iczuf/comment/kddgzhi Seems like the weird brawl commander bug should hopefully be fixed now.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

idk about efficient but elesh norn, grand cenobite is an extremely funny FOTD answer.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

drainpipe posted:

Ritual was probably perfectly ok in alpha.

I mean, not really (at least according to people playing at the time). it's still better than growth or healing salve for sure. Bolt is the more questionable comparison but that's mostly because fast mana in alpha is mostly just powering out a shivan dragon that is going to get plowed.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Rinkles posted:

is there any indication wotc might make bo3 limited ranked?

They've said the exact opposite. People who do bo3 want a place where being good at drafting gets them more rewards instead of being matched with better players until they can't go infinite.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

flatluigi posted:

have they had mixed pack drafts on arena because I genuinely can't remember

I don't think so but RIX was also when we were in the bot draft only times so I think the expectation was already that it would be significantly different than paper I guess.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

evilweasel posted:

is there anything better than a t2 blood moon on the play

like im sure there are better openers, but is there anything with quite the level of "lol" AND actually being relatively good

T2 oko maybe.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

It might as well be an 8/4 with unblockable most of the time. the activation cost is very high for what kind of deck wants something like that so it's mostly trinket text and realistically you aren't ever going to block it . It's not exactly hazoret as far as aggro curve toppers go but if there's a good GR aggro deck i wouldn't be surprised to see a copy or 2.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Eej posted:

It doesn't have trample so any deck that goes wide can chump block it no problem

If you chump it it just untaps and gets to swing again, unless you can kill or trade with it blocking it is pointless and even killing it might be a bad idea depending on what the rest of the board looks like.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

distortion park posted:

I swear a few years ago at least rdw used to be pretty rare-light.

Eh, it's rare lighter on the mana bases but looking back to eldraine ish 4 years ago you were looking at embercleave, anax hardened in the forge, castle embereth, that first strike knight that buffed other knights etc. Experimental frenzy era was probably a little cheaper because you were running some viashino pyromancers and ghitu lava runners but you still had frenzy/steamkin/chain whirler etc.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Time posted:

all of those cards are great. no notes and would like to see more of them in constructed

I'd agree with most of that but teferi, time raveler? cmon now that card is some unfun bullshit.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Time posted:

Just attack it. Turn a creature sideways. Ez

I mean, even putting aside that it makes all the counter magic a control shell can run uncounterable and can bounce a threat and cantrip on ETB to protect itself. If they have a decent blocker on board (like say birth of meletis around that era of standard) it's extremely hard to push through even for creature decks since you can't use any combat tricks unless you try and hard cast them main phase and hope they resolve.

It's by no means the most powerful magic card they've ever printed, or even most powerful 3 mana Planeswalker (hi narset) but is it really a fun play pattern to have "your opponent now has to play hearthstone" as a static ability? I just think it's not a very fun card to have around even when the power level is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Lid posted:

I skipped spoilers but looking that up gives huge Uro vibes. This is not a good thing.

Lmao it's not even close to uro in power what on earth.