Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Oh hey there's an Arena thread. Only knew about the paper one.

Just started playing this, and kind of loving it? I'm so used to EDH or Cockatrice where games are more or less over in three turns, the lower relative power level of most play games is something beautiful.

Starting out too gives me a lot of the vibes of when you're just starting out playing the game and build decks around the three-four rares you actually own alongside crap that magically works one in four games.

Did my first quick draft and 'premier' draft last night - finished 4-3 and 3-3. Mildly proud of that, going in mostly blind to the former, and losing the two of the later games to mana screw. It's nice that if you win just a few more games the drafts pay for themselves. Looking forward to drafting again next week when the golds back up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Oh don't tell me that! I figured I was seeing enough of those red burn decks and Phyrexian Obliterators that the pools were already merged. I already feel like I'm not playing against that many precons, though assumed that was a result of going up in rank.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

When do you actually hit a wall jumping ranks? I'm almost to gold and feel like while I'm an ok player, part of this is dumb luck of winning twice in a row where an opponent stalls out or the matchup is bad.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

A person who concedes right as you attack with Mishra and the dragon engine is a bad person. Happens so rarely, let the meld go through my brother!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Why is alchemy the least played? I've been finding the designs pretty entertaining and fun, though I'm new to the place and in low ranks for it.

The card that spits the power nine into your deck is hilarious. Is it seen as too swingy due to the variance of that and spellbooks?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Spent a draft token on a ONE draft and everyone kept passing me the rare dual lands. Gave up on a good deck pretty fast and took what I wanted for the collection instead. Never saw any serious bombs besides All Will Be One, so who knows, maybe the right choice regardless.

Built a god-awful blue red deck that ate poo poo every game, finished 0-3. Still, feels good knowing I gave a bunch of other people easy wins. Hope one of them ended 7-0 :unsmith:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Two ONE drafts tonight, both 3-3 which I'm pretty content with. Got lucky on a few wins, but likewise got mana screwed/flooded in a few others. Such is life.

First was an Izzet deck that felt very half baked. Pulled Jace first pack, but then also got the Emperor. By pack three was wavering between oil and equipment, but ultimately felt I had more blue and stuck with oil. Deck didn't feel very good at first, but turns out flyers are great. Oil seems fun as hell to play.
https://www.17lands.com/deck/b02bbf2af6d54675b9fa4e629b8c5067

Went in wanting to avoid white, as I've done that a couple times before, but Phyrexian Vindicator pack one cemented that. Was seeing enough green fatties that yoinked a few of them. Little low on removal. Screwed up one game very badly where I accidentally kept a hand with 3 cards with a cost of 4 – and then proceeded to accidentally tap my rustvine incorrectly two turns in a row, thanks to me double tapping and the popup showing up right on top of the creature.
https://www.17lands.com/deck/f6070a67d82947bcadafc8b73f836394

Feels good to win back 2/3 of the cost of admission. The system works.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 16, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Share Bear posted:

for doing cheevos, does anyone have any non-red decks for doing the "ramp out cast everything attack all" thing to get the wins/dailies? i need something to do in long compile times in something i am currently working on but not effortful.

brainless monocolor low curve aggro or mill, you know the deal

the kiln fiend deck and general mono R burn is decent enough, i need WUBG now

Werewolves is a blast, but red. If you spend a few wildcards on the white guy that costs 1 and gains 1 life on creature entry, the green/white creature deck can gain some serious teeth. It's not *fast*, but it's a contender.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Ok so it is very hard to draft cards I'm missing while also knowing the best picks in each pack. Tried to force RW equipment, as I want to make a deck outside of drafting around it, and fell pretty short. Went 2-3 with:

https://www.17lands.com/user/deck/a1a1a832785842d9a48f068ac522fd66/35525893/1679017397

White Sun's Twilight would have won me one game had I drawn just one more land, but alas, didn't. Every other card was basically a one of, so inconsistent as hell.

Did at least walk away with a handful of the cards I'm missing from the set (arena, oil land, hive).

Do people tend to use quick draft more for finishing sets?

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 17, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Lone Goat posted:

Why is Furnace Skullbomb in this deck?

You forgot to draft creatures, I count 9 including all the For Mirrodins, but not the mite generators because they can't block.

Furnace Strider is great, that should definitely be in. I don't think you have enough equipment for Oxidda Finisher to be good. I'm bringing in Shrapnel Slinger also but like, this deck is fundamentally flawed because you're still very short on creatures. Your link doesn't show the draft so I can't see where you went astray.

Hey thank you for this! Here's the draft. Agree on Oxidda, yet he's enough of a body (I've lost to him a couple of times) that I had to include - and surely enough he won me one game single-handidly.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/6d931121120e40618e8524d8fe2ab5f8

The main sin here is that I picked multiple cards on wanting to own them – like Arena and the Oil land, passing up equipment and others in the process. But also pushed equipment halfway through pack 2, which was already too late - didn't get many opportunities for that at that point.

The spellbomb was in there because imo it's a freebee card slot. Not amazing, but a way to let you filter to cards you want to play instead of running something that sits in your hand unplayable.

Bugsy posted:

There are a bunch of downshifts in rarity in the shadows remastered set. The biggest ones are the dual lands which are now uncommons.

Relief to see given how garbage these lands are. New to Arena, but where are these Remastered sets legal? Still wading my toes in any non-standard format from only being a part of this for the last couple weeks.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 17, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's just my opinion, but when you're not in a format running basic land types, I'd rather rely on the 'two lands' mechanic than the odds of me having a type specific one in my hand. Like for werewolves, I really really care about having two mana on turn two. So if a dual land comes down untapped when I have two or fewer lands, hell yeah. Everything else is secondary. If i need an a straight up mountain in my hand boooooo. Likely, but it's a dependency I don't want to count on.

Speaking of,

quote:

Many of the eternal Unfinity cards are featured on Magic Online, but there are no current plans for the cards to be featured on MTG Arena.
lol

What is the relationship between Arena and mtgo anyway. Are there any vibes which app might be better supported long(ish) term?

Honestly like Cockatrice a lot, but everyone there is playing too competitively to enjoy a good ol' oil jank deck.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Drafted enough ONE to be able to build standard decks out of each archetype. They play great, favorite being UB - proliferate + poison and voidwings is just a beast and not something most decks are equipped to race when it gets a great opening hand.

They all fold to red burn, but they're fun to play. It's a good set.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Strixhaven is a blast and seems to answer the question "what if you could play 80% of the set cards in any deck".

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Strixhaven draft is fun, but woof I'm eating it when it comes to winning. Had a great game where I had someone down to 3 life to my 45, but managed to get stalled out from a Will planeswalker and lost the thing twenty turns later.

Most maddening game has been one where my Prismari deck lost to another one that did nothing but mana ramp into Elemental Masterpiece and then replay it to run me over... while I had a Elemental Masterpiece in hand, but too little removal to hold em' off. Tragic night folks, tragic.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I complained loud enough to karma that in the last draft I'm going to do of Strixhaven I finally did 6-3... and probably would have finished 7-2 had I not gotten flooded in the last game.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 20, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

How often historically have then done non-standard draft sets? Loved Strixhaven and mostly got most of the cards I wanted out of it. Looking forward to Dynasty, but wondering if Eldraine or Ixalan are likely to show up sometime this year. Is there a rhyme/reason to it?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's beautiful,

https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/comments/11xpqm5/i_tried_using_citizens_crowbar_on_pacifism_and_my/

Two drafts in, Shadows feels pretty slow, with most games I've played so far being pretty down to the wire til the end. Lots of trading between creatures with a 4 or less power, and the bombs being "answer or die". Leads to some really great games with back and forth, but also some feel bads when you can't remove a resolved Odric, Lunarch Marshal.

Fun seeing all these new lords, though it's a bummer they're only legal in the legacy-ish formats.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

God damm, just pulled two immerwolfs in a draft where I was not playing werewolves. Seems to be the obvious favorite given how quickly it drys up after pick four or so.

A Moose posted:

I shouldnt be allowed to draft unsupervised.

Can someone smarter than me fix this?
https://www.17lands.com/draft/fb68aca6b28c47a8bd84ffa59ec10a2c

I think the main sin here is wavering on spirits early and passing up a lot of decent cards that would have made that deck a real thing in favor of stuff that's only 'ok'. Even though it was drying up, there were a a bunch of playables passed up:

P1P2 might have gone for the Geist that scrys every turn.
P1P6 might have gone for Thraben, given it's a nice 1 drop in the colors.
P1P8 you already have a lot of creatures, and Daring Sleuth isn't a spirit. Might have grabbed Drag Under.
P1P9 expensive spirit, but hey, flash is great. Woulda gone with Stormrider Spirit.
P2P2 had a spirit priest or pilgrim to pickup, don't think splashing red made much sense.
P2P3 another one full of spirits passed up for something out of your colors.
P2P4 little removal out of red, Puncturing Light here
P2P6 Humble the Brute, same reason as above, white removal
P2P7 Lone rider rocks socks
P2P10 Imprisoned in the moon, removal
P3P8 DROGSKUL CAPTAIN! omg! omg!

quote:

I guess its a question about drafting in general. My lane dried up almost INSTANTLY. Was that draft ever salvageable?

I don't think it really dried up too badly. Drafting alternates once, so if you're seeing colors vanish in pack one, you do still have another round of picks to grab stuff. Spirits don't have as many obvious bombs in common/uncommon as werewolves, but I think you picked a lot of ok cards in other colors instead of available ok cards in blue and white. Suppose I'd say sticking to the plan unless something SUPER jumps out as the better choice.

Good job seeing Ulrich and not pivoting to werewolves, that had few few picks going forward.

I'm also routinely going 3/3, so fwiw, also have a lot to learn.

Here was the latest werewolf run:
https://www.17lands.com/draft/6abd48307560432a805e48ae1f9bb81e

Also god drat is that unbloackable 2 drop a beast. Just got wrecked by it in five turns alone:
https://www.17lands.com/user/game_replay/20230322/ccdd4f1ae9e749879429887bccc60223/0

edit: literally next game someone drops it turn three. gently caress me :smith:

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 22, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It is absurd how many three color decks I encounter and proceed to lose to in draft. My only goal for the next few weeks is to stop losing to people splashing ridiculous combos. Amen.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

elbkaida posted:

Can't your 1/2 block it?

Sonuva...

Will say I managed to win the next game against it at least.

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Is there a good draft guide anywhere for this set? I'm itching to use my tokens but I don't want my first premier draft to be a total dud

This isn't a bad primer:
https://draftsim.com/shadows-over-innistrad-remastered-mtg-arena/

Seems like everyone's getting their feet wet though right now with the set, so it's less 'solved' than say ONE is when it comes to picks. Will personally say I've had the best success with Green, as humans and wolves are both pretty brutal. Madness seems fun, but I'm beating a lot of people playing it.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 22, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I still feel like I'm routinely beating the vampire decks, as if you can survive past turn seven or so they run out of steam in a bad way.

White and blue control is oddly viable, though had the most maddening game where I stalled out a wolf player and was very slowly pinging em' to death with a flyer.... only for them to drop Emerakul on me and win pretty decidedly. Not sure I dig that card in a draft that's otherwise so low powered.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Even if you're trying for delirium, there's better options in other colors. Topplegiest is usually 2-3 free flying points of damage early in the game, or single-handedly shuts down your opponents scariest critter towards the end. You have to have a *lot* go right to make sacrificing your own creatures / discarding worth it. White/green/red (wolves) still seems like the best pickups, as the cards at least stand on their own, whereas with Madness you can really get screwed over if you don't get both outlets and the good payoffs.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ulvenwald Mysteries seems worse than Alex remembers from the original set. It takes multiple turns to get value, it slows you way down compared to playing a creature on turn 3.

Agree to disagree here, formats been so slow that this has single-handidly won a bunch of games for me. Being able to come out on top when the board stalls and combat finally takes place is clutch.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's cute how you can tell some popular blog or streamer released a deck because you run into it again and again and again.

Tolarian Terrior and Haughty Djinn seem to be the flavor of the day. Played at least five different people running it. Maybe it's an old one that got a recent boost from something, but can't say I'd seen it before today.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Zero VGS posted:

You can't say you've seen one of the most common decks in standard?

Up til today, yeah :shrug:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

There is nothing more infuriating than having multiple solutions to a bomb, multiple ways to draw it, yet finding out it's buried in the last 10 cards of your deck as you get run over by an unanswered Bloodline Keeper while you watch your opponents deck do literally nothing else.

Siiiigh.

edit: Ok killed it next game, all Magic karmic balance restored. Finished 6-3, much to my own surprise.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 26, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Weird that the prize cards aren't duplicate protected. Of all the things, getting rewarded with a fourth copy of an uncommon you already have a playset of is a very womp womp moment.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Have had ok luck with boros, but it's heavily dependent on getting good removal.

Kind of surprised all these cards are only legal in Historic and Explorer, but without any way to filter for casual games, it's more or less pointless playing them there. Vampires is a fun deck, but yeah, it's gonna fold to a deck ramping to Ugin.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Yeah I mean I don't know how they'd filter for power level as much as like "play against people also using cards from XX sets".

Lone Goat posted:

It's mostly just shorthand for "pair me up against someone who I can easily beat"

Maybe, but in this case it's more like I want to try to play a deck based on the SIR set mechanics, but it's just too underpowered compared to what's being played there.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

precision posted:

Like yeah deck strength matters but over a small sample size you're still going to do fine if you're good at the game. Just chill out and play whatever you want, seriously

I'm not tilted about it by any means. It's just a bit wonky to me that they introduced a new set with a bunch of fun cards - but the only place you can play it outside of draft is in formats where they might struggle to keep up.

thespaceinvader posted:

The big difference betwen arena and paper is that it's broadly the same cost to make a tip top meta deck as it is to make a janky creature tribal deck or whatever, so the meta decks are a lot more prevalent.

It's the same issue Cockatrice has, to some degree. I love being able to make janky decks out of any and all cards, but it feels like bringing a butter knife to a tank fight when your opponent has lethal on turn two and you're looking down at a hand of bear tribal wondering why you just wasted five minutes. Less "those cards aren't fun" and more "this wasn't really much of a game for either of us eh"

Khanstant posted:

They could also let us create our own cubes for others to draft with us with, and all sorts of other fun things that just aren't going to be prioritized or considered since they could be counter productive to selling gems and packs.

Yeah see that would be incredible, even if they charged 1000 gems or whatever per player to enter. Not having every set be draftable all of the time seems like a necessary evil to make sure the draft events going on have full queues, but idk. Doing that once a month with buds would be dope.

Khanstant posted:

Once a week Pity Draft. Draft from packs of bad cards that never saw even budget deck play in a meta. Costs -1000 gold but you have to keep the cards.

poo poo drafting can be fun. Take out your shoebox full of unplayables and draft with friends - enjoy the format where a card with any text on it at all is effectively a bomb.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 26, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

New bundles announced for MotM:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/mtg-arena/mtg-arena-announcements-march-27-2023?utm_medium=product&utm_source=arena

As someone who sprang for the Shadows one, bummed to see them split up the packs and draft tokens like this. The value of the shadows one came out to about even for the draft tokens iirc, but packs and angel cards helped tip it over for myself. Don't feel like $50 just for the packs alone really makes much sense.

edit: oh egg on my face. Looked back at older releases and saw this is actually just how they do standard set bundles. Still prefer the SIR iteration, but hey, learning every day.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 27, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

grieving for Gandalf posted:

you love to win a match you definitely weren't supposed to

...how from this board state? Did they just concede?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Fixed it and handed out three free packs, 700 gems, and 5 jump tokens. Neato.

Honestly kind of disappointed I never ended up playing against someone exploiting that bug. Would have been fun to see it live.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Phantom Sealed result. Felt unfair - two great white bombs with double Thraben and Town Gossip to put early pressure on, and plenty of red removal to knock off the three drop threats. Never got Bruna out, as opponents conceded before then. But Avacyn dropped twice. I will not let this fool me into playing Sealed over Traditional Drafts, I shall be strong. 3-0, baby.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 29, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Longer explanation of the bug that's a kind of fun read.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/comments/125rqw4/a_bug_to_pierce_flesh_and_spirit_alike_the_story/

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's very cute. Love the new and improved card back.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Mana screw in paper is a necessary evil, but it does feel particularly bad on Arena. Two games in a row where I got stuck on two lands while my opponent scooted ahead and never got back the tempo.

Would be neat if they added the whole land smoothing to ranked BO1 games. "If player has 24 lands, ensure they at least draw 3 of them in the first four turns". Otherwise it's just really not much of a game.

fwiw, also feel this going the otherway. Feels bad beating someone when they get stuck on one or two lands. None of the text options feel appropriate for that situation - saying "Nice!" when someone finds their three drop feels a bit too sarcastic.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 2, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

https://www.17lands.com/! It's pretty phenominal

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Bugsy posted:

Mooncircuit and nightclub bouncer didnt need those buffs.

Nezumi Prowler too. Ninja's was already a pretty good deck. Satoru Umezawa reduction too, egad. Someone loves ninjas.

When do they announce the next months calendar? Chomping at the bit to draft Brother's War, crossing fingers it comes back sometime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The Midweek game is great this week, restricting the pool to just Innistrad cards. Amusing that it seems like hardly anyone is making a deck for this temp format, opting instead to run the precon werewolf deck with some tweaks.