Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

im doing this on mobile now for the first time in awhile, there are 4 rewards now. is this mobile only or a new feature?

edit nm was just the daily counter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

PlayDMU is the new code for dominaria, i think the op should list the freebie codes if it doesnt (skimmed it!)

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i hope they dont replace the old jaya av art with the new one

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Mr. Meagles posted:

Should you be able to use Cut Down on a creature that's been dealt combat damage, thus reducing it's P/T to less than 5?

Like if I block a 3/3 with a 1/1, making it a 3/2 until eot, should Cut Down work? Currently does not but I dunno if it's supposed to. I assumed it did and failed

damage does not reduce base stats it is a state based check against toughness, cut down checks base stats (which are affected by -1/-1 counters)

some judge will correct the accuracy of this

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

draft record so far
3-3 with bw aristocrats/aggro
3-3 some esper nonsense
4-3 with uw instants

all break even as far as i care (i know it's 5 wins but these were all mastery tokens)

i should install 17lands this time, i am just afraid of it spying on me when not running mtga

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Another 1-3.

I had been doing a decent job of breaking even but three sub-50%s in two days have quickly depleted my reserves, I guess I should pause

it does get harder the more you rank up ime

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

"The goal is always no bad drafts. You want to always get at least 3-3 in your bad drafts. Don't tank. Don't have a 0-3 or 1-3 draft." -- Jim Davis

this is how ive always approached it but im glad to hear it from other (much better) players

3-3 is almost breakeven at reward and variance so should be a target imo

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

sometimes one mis sequences it happens

but when youre on the plus side :chefskiss:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

aight i finally signed up for 17lands and what better way to demonstrate its usefulness than a 1-3 draft

https://www.17lands.com/draft/18fb323b8a9e4c559aaa5a180c5e576e draft
https://www.17lands.com/deck/18fb323b8a9e4c559aaa5a180c5e576e/0 deck 1
(after two awful games)
https://www.17lands.com/deck/18fb323b8a9e4c559aaa5a180c5e576e/1 deck 2

I felt I had a good basis for what was available, but maybe my picks weren't optimal (passing the red rare saga felt like a huge mistake among many). I definitely know my 1st deck was at, most generously, ambituous. 2nd deck actually executed the instant/sorcery plan pretty well, but then I threw my 4th game with a bad attack where I did not count a token stack.

Anyway, rip into me. I did not read anything about this format. This is my 5th draft in this set cause I f2p.

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 26, 2022

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

anyone who takes pity on that draft i appreciate it in advance and hope to make it up to you in the future

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

again i just wanna say thank you for looking at the poo poo i did, so getting into it:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

p1p1: urborg lhurgoyf is better than you think it is; if you're GB or GU it's a perfectly serviceable thing to have in your opening hand, and it's fantastic if drawn later

it seemed really specific and not like p1p1 so i skipped it, ill take this into consideration

quote:

p1p4: if you're thinking of going UW, surely Raff is a better choice than arrest, including for flexibility; arrest is great if you happen to fall into primary white though
p1p7: artillery blast kinda sucks unless you're quite certain you're in domain. shore up, mesa cavalier, and even cult conscript are preferable

i psyched myself out on this, as i saw it as too narrow despite what i was intending. i would have loved this card in my final first deck

and blast is way worse than i thought in this context, yes

quote:

p1p8: since you ignored all the good green cards and automatic librarian is kinda okay, probably pick librarian

a thing where i wasnt sure how good green was so i should prep more

quote:

p1p10: it's eerie soultender and it's not close, soultender is great and it's even better in UB

absolutely every deck that beat me used this, its v good

quote:

p2p4: why are you picking a mediocre red card here when you have no red cards, it's a bad pack but surely if you're hoping for domain you take gaea's might, or maybe you take acolyte if you feel spicy
p2p5: why the wall over the talas lookout?

i thought with an instant/sorc deck that having instant speed card selection (tied to a creature) would be decent some of the time, and didnt think i could get more value out of the other cards at the point in this draft. given my end result acolyte or timely might have been better.

for p2p5 i missed it

quote:

p2p10: not just an R spell, but an RB spell. no, literally anything else in that pack is better
p2p11: okay, bite down is on pick 11, maybe that's a sign green's open but it's too late, inscribed tablet is lovely fixing but it's fixing, your decision was correct

at this point based on this critique green was open but i wasnt sure what indicates green is open, so i missed this ahead of time, its good to know

quote:

p3p2: I dislike crystal grotto but this is a very weak pack for you. I'd probably take drake, flying seems powerful in this format.
p3p3: phasing of zhalfir is incredibly tempting but you're passing yet another talos lookout when you're firmly in U

this is the 2nd time you said this, so i'm thinking back to when people taught me drafts and generally, in my first lessons. people preferred unique cards, this may not be true for modern sets and is a bad habit for me

quote:

Overall, I think the problem was the mana base - you had a pretty good thing with UW going in the first pack, and I'm not sure the jump to Red was all there in pack 2. However you only have 1 Grotto, 1 manaworker, and 1 tablet. In this set you really want to grab the dual lands early, or lock into a dual-color deck. Blue spells seemed was open but you got stuck straddling between W and R for your second color. Looking at your deck switch, a lot of your Red cards are not related to the spells deck - just Electrostatic Infantry.

yep, it wasn't strong but based on the success of domain decks i thought i could bullshit with my manabase more, and i shouldve stuck it out

edit: i also read your entire post but doing piecemeal editing is hard, thank you

again thank you very much, should you have a kofi or something lmk

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 26, 2022

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

my main takeaways are:
- use the obvious signpost gold card in your colors
- figure out better signals for open colors that arent the best or your base colors up until that point
- smaller manabase (i feel this is a huge failure on my part)
- i think phasing of zhalfir is bad and i am right generally

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

heres my first big failure of the draft season 1-3 with RB

https://www.17lands.com/details/44b0bf91ab694efa8008542ed1ad3a40

things i know are wrong
- splash was greedy
- game 1 discard two decent cards to just give the mythic indestrucible was awful. the better line was pressing w my offense, waiting, and letting the mythic die if targeted

things that did happen i couldve maybe mulliganned better against
- flood in 2nd and 3rd loss, both on draw

things im not sure about

i felt like the red mythic plus removal/direct damage and toxic was a decent strat, but all the opps decks felt more cohesive and drew better answers, felt like i wasnt really playing magic in 2nd and 3rd loss

i do not listen to podcasts or read articles about limited format theorycrafting, and am generally happy with 3-3s for converting gold back into gems and packs. the big losses are what i post about.

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 10, 2023

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

little munchkin posted:

You already acknowledge the splash was bad, but just don't do it ever in this set. Go into your draft with the assumption that splashing is off the table so you don't bait yourself into it later. Also in your sideboard Testament Bearer is quite good and Cruel Grimnarch is better than a lot of the turds you're playing.

cool thank you very much, all very logical and understandable on review side by side

i hope to one day offer relevant critiques in the same vein for anyone who asks here

what were the worst two drops? the rat with toxic/proliferate right? cause that definitely felt extremely bad every time i played it

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

3-3 with BG toxic (i absolutely punted two of the losses)

1-3 i mentioned before RBg toxic/oil

ive got 3 more gold drafts to churn through

i prefer talking about it and trying/failing when the format is young i just wanna fail at no more than 50%

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i just 1-3d two drafts in a row and am very tilted.

here's what i know about both drafts:
- i had very little standalone removal
- i had very few late game bombs or things that could overrun another opponent
- i could have mulliganed better in specifically loss 5

draft one, where i thought i had something decent based on incoming cards, pack 2 was abysmal
the most recent loss is here, with UR artifact stuff

i feel like i couldve maybe gone into black or white instead of red

i would like to provide better commentary on my thought process here besides "lets try to force ur artifact/oil matters" but thats what i went with

more than anything else, rather than a pick by pick breakdown, i want to know how other posters seemingly know really well how to pick cards and pick up on whatevers is missing without drafting a format at least 20 times

if its just "i draft the format a million times" i'm ok with that, but i feel like i am missing something in how people evaluate formats and drafts in general

double edit: if my pack 1 passes had a better strat i'm also ok with knowing that. i should read people posting draft related content but i dont really do, and i hate podcasts.

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 3, 2023

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i empirically dont know what i am doing and am receptive to all feedback

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

thank you for the kind and detailed replies, i read all of them and will take all the advice into account. i did not notice 17lands had draft percentages per card and will take that into account as well. i also open tilted a 3rd draft but did not sit at a table yet.

as for arena into edict, i do not know what colors are “bad” yet but felt that, with no other knowledge or input on the format, arena being passed meant black was potentially open from that direction. the edict does function as some removal which i figured i would need. i then gave up on this line of thought and did not commit (i believe i skipped an archfiend of the dross)

in context of the other replies i understand the “baffling” aspect to this, but i did not know what i did not know.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ok first one back, another 1-3

i had 17lands open for this point, and went with a stricter criteria:
- dont deviate from themes you know work if you get cards for them (g/x toxic)
- stay away from u or b if i can

ending up in green white toxic. draft felt good, but i lost out and am not sure what i hosed up besides specific misplays in game 3. if there was a sufficient signal to switch away from g/w (to maybe g/r?) i missed it.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/2ea50a01acfe49fab736513529e10076

game 1: got run over
game 2 (typically where i get a win prob due to mmr): won with basic creature combat and curving out effectively on the play
game 3: tyvar messed up my gameplan, as i felt it was better to get him off the board while i could versus dealing more poison. this cost me the game, as i had an all in attack on my final turn that would've won me the game had i better ignored him. regrets, on me.
game 4: this one was a bit confusing but basically lost to not having effective removal for my oppos threats while they answered my 2ish threats well. probably a mulligan in retrospect, but i had turn 1/2/3 plays that all seemed sane so i kept my 7, i don't feel i could've mulled to a better 6.

currently 6-18 on the current bo1, which is again all on me, but demotivating

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 5, 2023

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

just redeemed season mastery for the draft token so lets see where that goes

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

in more positive light, went 5-3 with rw equipment and was decent

while the gold standard is 7-xing in bo1, i am generally happy to go better than 3-x based on coin flip/game econ breakeven equity alone, so this is a nice improvement, the games actually felt like games of magic

https://www.17lands.com/draft/6ff70dedba6b47c89f1f6b6607220cec for the curious

still gotta "catch up" to 50% sometime, that'll be when i next have 10k gold sometime this week

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 5, 2023

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ok i saved up my gold and went 2-3 with this most recent draft

https://www.17lands.com/draft/de8d472f9f8948db8fc5789187fe40f3

things i think were wrong:
- couldve mulliganed harder in games 3 and 4, game 4 i was basically hoping to draw into a bomb
- p2p1 never saw the mythic and it seemed decent with the mite equip so i took it as a 4mana 4/4 at worst
- p2p5 i wanted to try out prism as fixing as it seemed decent for that, but i disregarded hand smoothing in this choice and wouldve chose the basilisk here instead
- p3p1 saw tyvar and picked it up cause i thought i could splash w prism but i shouldnt do that, so its my rare draft sin

every game felt fair but that i drew worse than my op, and that's the nature of the beast. would love to be told what i messed up, but this one felt decent. i won 50% of the games i cast emperor, so my deck probably wasnt good.

i rarely feel like it is my playing decisions but more or less my deck being bad or not cooperating. game 1 i flooded out extremely hard.

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 11, 2023

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i basically hate this format because i lost a ton and, even with all your kind advice, i don't feel like i'm making it click

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Venuz Patrol posted:

looks like you flinched in pack 3 and started drifting into artifacts. I would have skipped the skullbombs, mandible justiciar, and prosthetic injector and gone for the incubation sacs instead. they might not match the toxic theme but 3 3/3 bodies is never going to be bad for you

for mana fixing you had Seedcore wide open in pack 2 and i'm shocked you didn't pick it. almost all of your creatures were phyrexian already!

i did think on the seedcore tradeoff and was more focused on the 1/1 buff than the phyrexian mana fixing but yes that wouldve made sense, the green skullbomb felt more active as a creature buff or redraw

i'm not sure when one should pick fixing, the redraws with abilities felt better but again ill take any advice into account

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

some of it came up in my feed: the LOTR stuff is like direct to modern or something right

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

for doing cheevos, does anyone have any non-red decks for doing the "ramp out cast everything attack all" thing to get the wins/dailies? i need something to do in long compile times in something i am currently working on but not effortful.

brainless monocolor low curve aggro or mill, you know the deal

the kiln fiend deck and general mono R burn is decent enough, i need WUBG now

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

all right 1-3 on first blind draft

so i'm going to post this and i am going to read comments as always and i appreciate it. i have played limited and magic for a long time however i feel like i'm just an worse than average player. i weirdly feel like all my opponents had much better ideas for their decks and if i dont prepare beforehand besides the archetype blurb on wizards site i might as well not bother

https://www.17lands.com/draft/c3247ab3a10840288177f24d0f1ce174

things i should have done draftwise on review
(anytime i dont comment i had no logic besides it seeming like it'd fit the deck or curve)
- p1p1: i would have rare drafted had i thought i'd blow it badly, but i felt the 3/3 for 3 with etb synergies was good and castable, i feel like battles are win moreish but am willing to be wrong (all games i lost were to battles mostly)
- p1p2 none of the other cards felt like too extraordinary so i went with removal. obosh is fun but i didnt want to 2nd pick a 5 drop in a new format
- p1p3 tiller of flash was probably the pick given my deck but i wasnt sure where i wanted to be so i went with fixing battle
- p1p6 had no idea here, went with what i thought was decent fixing were i to be rw
- p1p11 shoudlve def taken tiller of flesh here given where my deck was
- p3p2 wasnt sure how strong atraxa's fall would be but i wouldve prefered this in retrospect

gameplay wise i do feel i played to the best of my ability and hands and was only greedy in the g4 keep w/o green mana

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

first 7-x in a long rear end time, with BGw incubate

https://www.17lands.com/deck/0381a5a51fae43d7b51621b8b67db1b4

Glissa won two games, but the rest was everything working together pretty cohesively, incl 6 mana invasion being a decent late game board stall breaker

I splashed the Sculpted Perfection cause I felt like I could afford the splash with the 2 late splash tokens cards

Or maybe I just got lucky 7/9 times, who knows

key points
- overgrown pest is siiick
- aetherblade agent is siiick (really any of the phyrexian transform cards seem decent based on all the games I play, opp side included)
- draft glissa
- draft sculpted perfection

I weirdly never got to really use the Compleated Huntmaster except as a reach blocker as the other token generators/enchantments did that much more, really liked traumatic revelation

war historian was the worst card as a grey ogre

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 25, 2023

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

after ONE and my first 1-3 i felt really stupid but now that i had something decent with close games that occasionally went to mutual top decks i am having more fun.

funny how that works

e: i never ran away with a game but more or less had better tempo and token generation when i won. i lost to aggro and the bad side of a topdeck war.

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 25, 2023

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

when i do momir i do not care and i will make bad plays just to do goofy interactions that never happen and poo poo, it's fun

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Rap Game Goku posted:

Actually won a game with my dumb "sheoldred and all the black instants that destroy creatures" deck. So my day's starting off pretty good.

mono black aggro is sort of viable in standard bo3 but not bo1, i feel, but i dont got stats to back that up so treat that as hearsay

i also play mono black devotion in explorer because i love gary (i play keruga or yorion fires/enigma if i feel like attempting to win> 50%)

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

being taught how to play control is also instructive for playing against it

from what i remember picking up from better people than me
- never tap out
- never 1 for 1 unless the threat is specifically gonna kill you within a turn or two
- try to always do things at the last possible moment (generally good gameplay advice i think)
- never play your wincon until you are very materially ahead of op
- when countering spells, think of what else in your deck can deal with that threat and err towards better card advantageous answers or towards using worse counterspells first (costed < conditional < unconditional)
- in control mirror never make a move first

this generally depends on game texture/context as well

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i wanna draft but this set feels useless for arena

this poo poo aint even pioneer legal

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

yeah i do play a bunch of standard and explorer so id prefer the drafts being useful for that

mom/aftermath is still probably availble

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i think this one is low traffic enough to post about it, its cool

drafting is the primary mode of convo with occasional constructed stuff and thats fine

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i won 5 straight in that challenge, with the phyrexian bw deck. the games were generally interesting except one where the op didnt do anything with ub for 5 turns and died. first and only loss was to rw equipment.

draw 3 times play 3 times (important mentioning for anything imo)

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 22, 2023

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the amount of people that are tapped out and dead on board that will rope are staggering

it doesnt hurt to double check and think but by roping i mean going through the full rope stock and dying to the rope clock instead

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i goddamn love keruga fires enigma in explorer

its less win more than yorion fires enigma and it rules to draw like 6 cards a turn when you swing that

goes over the top of mono g if they take too long to kill you too

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i'm glad people are having fun but this set was a miss for me

i really would like an eternal format in arena (modern, legacy, vintage) so i can justify crafting rings and bowmasters. i got tired of historic/alchemy very quickly when i attempted to pick them up, but that's on me.

am having fun in std/exp in bo3 though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Is there a dominant deck in standard atm? I’ve taken a break since a bit before lotr.

dimir / esper decks are well positioned but i wouldn't call them dominant

domain ramp, mono U, mono W, the above mentioned, mono R, soldiers, enchantress are generally what i run into

but i'm also like not in mythic or a grinder so this isn't Real, there's flexibility

i play monoU because i'm cheap, it has interaction and times to think, and it's decent even in bo3

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 6, 2023