Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atmz
Jan 5, 2005

lurk lurk lurk
longtime lurker, bad at posting

So I keep hitting a wall with draft. I don't play for a while, and then when I return I'm Bronze, have 2-3 excellent 5+ win drafts, then get to Gold and start losing

Clearly I need to improve, but I've been struggling figuring out what is going wrong (draft/deckbuilding/play/???)

So if anyone has time and inclination, I'd love some feedback - here are my two most recent drafts:
https://www.17lands.com/draft/7018a72e44a94b479f93b89da86fcb29 1-3 (Season of Growth, was great when it went off but too slow?)
https://www.17lands.com/draft/e2b7a86a288d4dbd922ceb393f041654 3-3 (Is Celebration just bad?)

Things I'm thinking:
  • should I be greedier and run more colors?
  • (maybe related) am I committing to colors too soon?
  • how hard to commit to build-around -- should I have taken a second Season of Growth in the 1-3 draft? Or should I be sticking with CABS and 'boring' decks?
  • drafting more vs reading more vs watching other people draft more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atmz
Jan 5, 2005

lurk lurk lurk

Thanks y'all! This a loot of great advice and starting points for things to look at, and way better than my usual methods of "just kick off another draft and hope for the best". Really appreciate the time and energy spent looking at my dumb drafts.

atmz
Jan 5, 2005

lurk lurk lurk
So I just had a very greedy 2-3 draft where I went WRU artifacts with a bunch of gold cards.

Definitely would not recommend, but Abuelo, Ancestral Echo is very fun and also feels very good in this format. There’s multiple common artifacts with great ETBs which you can recur 2x a turn cycle if you have the mana, some of which reliably blow up a creature.

atmz
Jan 5, 2005

lurk lurk lurk
Thanks for this! I went into one of these blind other than this post (I never drafted RNA/GRN) and was guided to/lucked into a trophy deck:

https://www.17lands.com/draft/ae559fa4b32143b4b9323b8e5dd903c9

It was a fun draft, went into pack 3 with a terrible Izzet deck, but pack 3 came through (first 3 packs had Izzet rares, I passed Thousand-Year Storm but took Quasiduplicate and Niv-Mizzet. Could have used fixing for Niv-Mizzet, but got it on the battlefield plenty!

Boco_T posted:

I wrote this for the event that's starting tomorrow, which is Ranked for some reason.

Ravnica Chaos Draft

MKM / RNA / GRN
Focus on commons and power, cannot bank on synergy.

MKM
With MKM first, try to stay in one color and be aware of your strategy:
- White has the best cards, including strong value creatures and Makeshift Binding as premium removal
- Blue has a few fliers and a few tempo removal spells. It’s by far the worst color at common in MKM.
- Black has great removal at common, you can look to fill in the rest in later packs. Murder is going to be much better in this format than in plain MKM.
- Red also has great removal, remember the rate is a lot better because there will be far fewer Warded Disguise creatures.
- Green still has the premium Nervous Gardener, plus a lot of other good creatures,
- The Gold commons will still all be good for their flexibility as you look for bombs in the later packs.
- Due to the split nature of packs 2 and 3 in terms of color pairs, a top strategy might be to take as much fixing as you can in pack 1 and use it to make a three-color deck where you can play cards split over three guilds.

RNA
RNA second:
- WU, WB, UG, RB, RG are the guilds.
- White is not good. Summary Judgment and Syndicate Messenger are the only solid cards. Try to get your other color in this pack.
- Blue is also not great, but Chillbringer is awesome.
- Black is not great. Blade Juggler is premium though, and Bladebrand is also good.
- Red’s creatures are really bad, but you can grab a few more burn spells.
- Green has a lot of good creatures, Sauriform Hybrid being the top.
- The gold commons are all great, but they are full two-colors and you won’t be getting those color pairs in the last pack.
- Can get guildgates for additional fixing.

GRN
GRN last:
- WR, WG, UB, UR, BG are the guilds.
- White has better commons in this pack, creatures with better stats and a Pacifism effect.
- Blue has good commons too. Several with Surveil 2 and Passwall Adept that will allow you to win in a board stall.
- Black’s commons are bad in this pack as well.
- Red is horrible in this set. Really bad at common.
- Green’s set of commons is less good in this set.
- The gold commons are a mixed bag. Golgari is bad, Izzet and DImir are very good.

Overall
- I suspect the general speed of the format is going to mostly be slower than you were used to in MKM or any of these individual formats, because of how bad white and red are at common outside of MKM.
- I think the most equity at a basic level will be good green creatures and some fixing paired with a (possibly splash) removal color (B/R), then the third color for wherever your best gold cards are. Perhaps Sultai UGb or Temur UGr could be the best decks at the most basic level
- The best cards will still be the best. Play them as much as you can. I think you’ll have plenty of fixing to splash bombs even in non-green colors thanks to guildgates.

atmz
Jan 5, 2005

lurk lurk lurk
lol, is this just what happens on day one of a format?

https://www.17lands.com/details/ab4b946563a647db96df4c0365b1859e

Took Breeches p1p1 and just went UR outlaws + 2 spells. Breeches actually not good in my deck (0 artifacts) but lane seemed open. (4 Prickly Pairs! 2 Slick Sequences!).
Got lucky with rares -- I though Double Down would be bad (played it because it seemed fun) but actually felt like a bomb in this deck.
Game 3 I had Breeches and no way to get an artifact, and my opponent gave me 2 treasure tokens!

Overall, format is slower (good!) and game states can get very very complicated (6+ lands + several plotted cards can lead to very complex turns)