Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

The fact that you get 3 pips of loss protection on rank up in plat and diamond is already too generous, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Pretty sure if you cross the million gold mark WotC will literally hire someone from the dark web to assassinate you.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Free gold in the shop today.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

VictualSquid posted:

I just notice this in the explorer anthology announcement:

Does that mean that players won't be able to craft Nyktos until March and have to buy the bundle if they want to use the card?
I don't think the older anthologies worked like that.

You still can craft the cards while the bundle is live. It just means that you'll still be able to obtain the cards once the bundle leaves the store.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I think newer players should start with quick draft with the goal of eventually moving to premier. No time limit and the drafts themselves being half the price takes away some of the anxiety and feelbad when things don't go well. You'll become a much better drafter through pod drafting, though.

house of the dad fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 14, 2022

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Urza's Saga lands are the daily deals for today.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Mastery pass pack is the $15 one. It’s actually a good deal this time since the mastery pass itself is usually $17 worth of gems. Plus this comes with a pet I personally like, an elesh norn card back, and a copy of the new elesh norn. Seems fine to me.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

odinson posted:

Do all quests reset tomorrow?

Yes. You'll get a new set of three quests and wins for the week will reset when ONE drops.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Brawl can get expensive with most decks being a bunch of rares and mythics but depending on your collection you might have better luck there building your own jank. The Arena economy heavily incentivizes building The Best Deck for constructed formats and jamming that as much as possible. Even most unranked games I play are people running meta decks.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I seriously doubt they'll include Ragavan in the Arena MoM set but also I want them to keep pushing Historic towards Modern power levels. Unban bolt and counterspell and give us fetchlands.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Lone Goat posted:

Why wouldn't they? They have all the other Strixhaven/Brother's War reprint bonus cards in there. And they can just ban it in every format, but it should still exist in draft because that's what the draft boosters are like irl.

You're right. Thought some of the mystical archives contents from those sets didn't make it to Arena but looks like they just put everything on there and prebanned the stuff they didn't want affecting certain formats. Something new to torture Hbrawl players.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Thanks, I guess I’ll just see how far along I get and decide towards the end if it’s worth buying.

I wouldn’t worry about completely finishing the pass, either. Rewards are good up until 60 or so and the last 20 levels are pretty mediocre. Probably $5 worth of stuff.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Going infinite is not a sustainable goal when drafting on Arena. The system is very intentionally created to deplete your resources and eventually get you to pay money if you're drafting enough.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

precision posted:

So I know a lot of people in here don't like this kind of talk, but...

Nobody likes it because the only evidence we have is anecdotes along the lines of "I had an unusual morning."

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Making these kinds of MWMs not all access is pretty dang greedy.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Khanstant posted:

Why are the cosmetic bundles so random? I feel like I'd definitely buy some if they were actually relevant to any particular deck. They know what decks people are playing in decks and could bundle them together instead of 10 random cards nobody plays.

They want whales to spend $10 for the single cosmetic they actually want

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I am looking forward to the Dunning/Kruger duo card we’re getting this set.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Seems like pretty normal FOMO practice. Full arts aren't always available but are more expensive when they do come back for a Limited Time Only.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Laugh it up, but you'll be sorry when the general population is only achieving a 20% win rate and it takes 15 hours to get your weekly xp. You don't even know how deep this poo poo goes.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I haven’t run into a roper in what feels like a long time but I remember it being really bad around the time that Rogues was a popular deck. Open blue mana seems to bring out the worst in people.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

SalTheBard posted:

I just played a game where my opponent played:
3 Ossifications
2 Brutal Cathars
1 Lay down Arms
2 Touch the Spirit Realm
2 Whatever the new enchant is with ward 2

This is your fault for not foreseeing this and playing Farewell

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

anakha posted:

I've tried queuing up for the MWM Gladiator matches half a dozen times since yesterday and have not gotten an opponent at all. What gives?

The azorius and jeskai decks both have a bugged card, so they are appearing as 99/100 card decks and are unable to match with anyone. Pick anything besides those two decks and it should work.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

My bad. They were broken yesterday when the event first came out, but looks like they're fixed and all the decks work now.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Yoked posted:

I’d like Urza’s Saga

They haven't figured out how to upshift Saga to mythic rare yet. Special cards deserve a rarity that reflects their power.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Eeevil posted:

Limited mulligans question: my heuristic for 2 landers has been that you mulligan if you have one color or you're on the play, but a hand with both your colors on the draw is a reasonable gamble. Is that right or am I off base?

I'm not throwing away a 2-lander unless my hand is so mismatched that I literally have no plays. Some people will say you should be throwing away more hands, and then you have people like Chord_o_calls saying you should barely mulligan at all in limited. Just have to accept flipping the coin and not getting there sometimes.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Supersonic posted:

So I’ve been playing off and on since the beta and have been playing relatively consistently for the past eight months, always standard. I have a few T1 decks but am starting to get tired of trying to keep up with the rotation and was just wondering what format I should be playing if I don’t want to worry about constantly needing to spend wildcards to update my decks every few months?

Timeless is the safest bet, but Explorer has a lot of staples as well and isn't affected by bonus sheet stuff for the most part. MH3 is also releasing in a month and is going to have an impact with the elemental incarnations at the very least. I would not buy into historic at all unless you're only a few WC away from a deck.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

You guys are right. I'm convinced. I do think that Timeless has more cards I'd consider a safe bet if I was thinking about what will still be good or at least playable in 5 years over something like Rakdos Vampires in Explorer, but Timeless will see a lot more variation and wants you to have a wide collection that can adapt.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

People just want to vent and complain sometimes? This thread gives good advice for improving at the game, but lol at the idea of being in a bad mood for a day meaning you need to seek professional help from a therapist. I find Magic to be an inherently frustrating game at times, and "did you think about playing better/more optimally" isn't always the cure-all people think it is.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

imagine dungeons posted:

Is RG the worst starter deck? I sometimes do the duels to clear quests with low/no stakes and it just gets outrun or out tempoed almost every match. Having no 2-drops besides Illysian Caryatid just means those get blasted every time you play them so by the time you play the 5-6 drops the game is effectively over.

edit: Sprouting Goblin is a 2 drop but it’s just a bear unless you pay the kicker.

The RG deck is down there with the UG elf deck. I mostly see people jamming the RW, BW, and UW decks and they basically blank everything in the charge deck while also having decent removal.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I appreciate friendly Magic as a person who is used to having everything automated and will forget triggers or do things out of order, but eventually you're just playing calvinball with the rules. Also some people use friendly Magic as an excuse to angleshoot or bully you into playing the game in a way you don't want to in the name of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

WotC doesn't pay attention to market prices when making products but 5 digital fetchlands are worth charging $40 for for some reason