Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

40 lbs to freedom posted:

constructed wise doesnt seem like a very control friendly set or did i miss anything obvious? blue seems kind of bad in general and creatures are really strong. no real u/w finisher either.

I could see some kind of base UB domain control take shape with the -x/-x sweeper and the sphinx that fact or fictions. Depends on how good those are with only powered up to 3 out of 5 that the triomes provide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Fucker posted:

:gonk:

the classic ajani avi...

This is more appropriate for when the game crashes mid-match and it switches me to that avatar when I reboot.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

I've only faced (lost to) Sheoldred
in limited and brawl so far, but it seems like very good and I think I may craft some.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Getting that third win when you're 2-2 is so relieving.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Corbeau posted:

This format feels tough. Got at least a 5-3 this afternoon, but last night a group of friends and I went a combined 2-9 (!) streaming to each other and discussing picks. There are a lot of individually powerful cards in the set, but there are going to be a ton of synergy decks out there that also have powerful individual cards. Even decks that seemed decent by prior format standards got obliterated. The only decks I've had any success with so far are UBx control decks absolutely loaded with removal and card draw.

Also, pick dual lands very highly.

I agree with this and have had little to no success with aggressive decks. Unless you can capitalize on a really slow start, the other decks can get their defense up and start doing way more powerful stuff. All the black and/or white token decks I try need to get just the right mix of token makers and payoff to work and are underwhelming otherwise. Green based domain, with usually blue or red as the secondary color has been the best for me so far.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Someone just hit me for 65,536 from a devilish valet + double rabble rousing. That was cool.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Legit Businessman posted:

Actually the discount only applies when the spell is on the stack. At all times the mv is 8. This is why you can still disdainful stroke it when it is played for WW.

Is this how all cost reductions work, like the common cycle in dom united? arena displays the reduced cost when it is in your hand, but would I be able to take a reduced cost card with inquisition of kozilek?

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This makes sense.

Maybe I did it again lol

Event #25

https://www.17lands.com/draft/0480b551370d4c2a9116a3dcd3fc494b

Getting passed multiple Rona's Vortexes and Micromancer anchored me in blue even if I didn't get much else. Ivy gets to stay because I think the number of pump spells makes the chances of getting value higher? Looks like I have to run meteorite but I have enough kickers that it feels useful enough.

Filled in the rest of the deck with green beaters and stuff that benefits from Domain. White splash is probably out of the cards but I wonder if I could push black (and making Vortexes more effective)?

I would run repossession over the meteorite and an extra swamp or too to really try and always have black for vortex.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Node posted:

Is it still too early in DMU's cycle to commit to spending wildcards for a deck, or is it safe to spend some of them for some cards? The deck I'm thinking of is pretty much the mono black deck a lot of people have with Sheoldred, Invoke Despair, Meathook, etc.

I think it should stay a good deck. I've been winning a lot with the BR version, and the esper one is good as well. if you start with mono black you can expand to one of the multicolor versions later on. Evolved sleeper is the only card that is run exclusively in the mono black version, so maybe save those wild cards for dual lands if you think you'll want to switch it up.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Are they not changing epiphany back? Any other nerfs not get mentioned?

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

https://twitter.com/mtg_arena/status/1578067337185562626?s=46&t=ewoxUb6ma3itMGxSGMpUgQ
Get your free wild card progress

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

I kept losing to Johnny with Timmy cause they would bounce all my dinosaurs repeatedly. Won with spike with epiphany and priest of forgotten gods.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

is there a burn spell in standard right now good enough to deal with sheoldred? because while meathook was a problem for aggro decks, sheoldred is a big fat brick wall for monored aggro.

Rending Flame gets you 5 damage at instant speed for 2R. It was in a gruul aggro list I found online and I'm sure is for Sheoldred

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Is there a reason to not crack completed vaults or do y'all just not play constructed at all?

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

What's important for this thread: are the melded permanents going to be twice as big as other objects? Going to be underwhelming if they look like normal creatures or walkers.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

First draft had first pick dragon engine, p3p1 mythic mishra. Went 7-2 and got to meld into phyrexian voltron to win from 1 life once.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Ariong posted:

Did the new patch make it impossible to play podcasts while playing on iOS, or is there a method I am missing?

It's been like that for a week or so for me. Very annoying, why would you change that?

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

I like limitedgrades.com because it is easy to filter out rares and mythics and is already based to GIHWR, so you don't have to reorganize like 17lands. For both it is helpful to switch to your main color pair once you've settled on one, certain cards do a lot better or worse depending on what archetype you're going for.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

I think being on the draw should get a free mulligan. At least in limited.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

There are a decent number of Wx decks running Thalia and either no non-creature or just a few wandering emperors.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

That's the kind of hand I know I should mull but I talk myself into keeping thinking I might get color screwed on the next one

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Is oil-gorger troll giving people value? That card looks like garbage to me.

It doesn't really contribute to the GR or GW deck's game plan (despite having the words oil counter), so it's filler at best.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Bardiche has done some alright work for me, and putting it on a duelist would be nice. I always end up cutting onslaught because I'm afraid of it being dead with none or just a few creatures.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

It is also called 'elder dragon Highlander', so you may know that name. But you pick a legend as your commander and build your deck in their colors and always are able to access them.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lol have i been cursed, how often do other people get to keep 7

It feels like maybe only half the time, and I feel like I don't mulligan enough. I'll keep good looking two lander and draw no land or a four landers and draw all lands.
Don't have tracking cause I'm on my phone, wonder what good players keep rate are.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

Fuckin lmao they put the RRRR Phyrexian Horror in fuckin alchemy AND it's way worse than the other two released so far. Can't wait for the time when the designers weren't designing in an Embercleave world.

With alchemy they can always change into a good card in the future.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Are disconnects fairly common? About once a day the app will freeze and restart during a match.

That's about what I get playing on an iPhone. Used it to get a draft reimbursement once.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Do I want to be main-decking good lessons like fractal or elemental summoning, or trying to always get them with learn spells?

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Can't wait for Wash Away to rotate from standard brawl. If my opponent has blue in their deck, they always have seem to have it

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Are there any auto losses like Phage or eater or days? Always worried about those on mtgo

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

precision posted:

Invasion of Dominaria is good, Ulgrotha and Innistrad are great.

With up to 3 rares per pack, it's a gonzo format

Can you get 3 rares? I thought a DFC rare or mythics replaces the normal one.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Probably the strongest draft decks I've ever had. Only lost 1 game cause I fired off the Battle board wipe too early.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

AngryBooch posted:

I love Caetus so much

Too bad it can't be a brawl commander

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Did the opponent have a phyrexian censor?

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

How many games did Glissa win on her own? It just takes over if not answered within a turn

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Did they cheap out and not give us three free packs for aftermath?

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

Or Oko
Or Uro
Or Companions
Or Omnath, Locus of Creation
Or Fable of the Mirror-Breaker

good lord have there been some design oopsie-doodles lately

I don't think people realized how good Fable was within the first three weeks.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Maybe they'll at least give us explorer brawl some day if they won't do non-alchemy hbrawl.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Fyi incase it comes up for anyone else: when playing in cube the game did not give me priority to kill a Sheoldred with an instant before my draw step (at 2 life). Did get a refund, but feel like I could have pulled the game back if I had gone to full control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

This momir had the Bringers at 9, which I didn't think were on arena and are even more reason not to do 9.