Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I went to see Stonehenge about 25 years ago and it was a bit rubbish. You couldn't get anywhere near it and it's really windy on that plain, it was cold as gently caress. I dunno if they've put better facilities in around it now or what, but there are lots of other stone circles you could go and visit.

e: dreadful snipe. Look everyone I've got a star now, I'm afraid I am already mad with power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Failed Imagineer posted:

The druids did this

:hmmyes:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
They look so resigned about it. There goes Getafix again.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dead Goon posted:

I would quite like to visit Stonehenge, and the other's around it, which I hear are better.

It's a long way to travel though.

I hope NJAN99 doesn't crash his Tesla into it and proper 9/11s it.

Come visit Callanish standing stones

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

HopperUK posted:

They look so resigned about it. There goes Getafix again.

This is why magic potion should have been scheduled as a Class A

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Come visit Callanish standing stones
Come for the standing stones, stay for the rare carvings of Nigel Farage.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
ive got that chessboard

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

HopperUK posted:

I went to see Stonehenge about 25 years ago and it was a bit rubbish. You couldn't get anywhere near it and it's really windy on that plain, it was cold as gently caress. I dunno if they've put better facilities in around it now or what, but there are lots of other stone circles you could go and visit.

e: dreadful snipe. Look everyone I've got a star now, I'm afraid I am already mad with power

I last visited 5 years ago and thought it was quite nice. There’s a large visitor centre with a cafe and gift shop, along with small exhibit of sorts showcasing various artefacts. There’s also a replica mud hut village just outside that shows how people at the time would’ve lived.

It’s a not insignificant walk to the stones and there’s a walkway you stick to. Unfortunately you cannot get close up to the stones. However given how tourists love to take samples or carve messages into things o think it’s one of those necessary evils.

Monstrous queues though. If you don’t want to wait for ages make sure you’re an English Heritage member and book your tickets online. Then you get to stroll straight through.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
or be a pagan and go and take your clothes off or whatever and they let you climb up them

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Come for the standing stones, stay for the rare carvings of Nigel Farage.

A load of shield biters, the lot of them. :pathetic:

edit: I for one love our HopperUK overlord. :mildpanic:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Nov 30, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is why magic potion should have been scheduled as a Class A

A bunch of narco frogs, the whole village.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I guess that makes Obelix the equivalent of a crack baby

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Whatever happened to this Ebola outbreak in England anyway...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have visited castlerigg stone circle and while the actual stone circle is nothing to write home about, the location of it is spectacular, it's right in the middle of a ring of mountains so you get the wonderful feeling of standing in the circle and that the rather piddly ring of rocks is sort of a suggestion to look at the titanic ring of geography.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/BreakingDotUK/status/1597938504570380294

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Last time I visited Stonehenge was also ages ago but it was at the summer solstice, when you can stay up all night having a druidic rave all inside and around the stone circle. Was proper good fun and quite sort of humanistically / spiritually moving.

TACD fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Nov 30, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's amazing that the same people who say "but slavery was so long ago, we can't keep relitigating the past" want to know exactly where your ancestors lived in 1600 if you're not magnolia white or 50 years of beef and ale puce.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Apparently the aide also moved the guest's hair to see her name badge - rather than, say, ask her name. Obviously royal circles have incredible entitlement, but this is just something else!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What's doubly weird is that, to me, is prime horsefucker brain. Like I have no idea where my family is from, I was born less than five miles away, that's it. Having detailed records like the pedigree on a german shepherd is loving weird to me and a vice of the upper classes.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Guavanaut posted:

It's amazing that the same people who say "but slavery was so long ago, we can't keep relitigating the past" want to know exactly where your ancestors lived in 1600 if you're not magnolia white or 50 years of beef and ale puce.

Being so resolutely upper class British racist that even 5 or 6 clues to shut the gently caress up don’t work lol

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

It’s the “I spent time in France (skiing or shooting boars) and I’m still bloody English!!!!” that really does it for me

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Save time by just creating a new inflection of the word “from” to be clear you mean it in the racist way

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

TACD posted:

Save time by just creating a new inflection of the word “from” to be clear you mean it in the racist way

As if there isn't one, it's usually the emphasis on the end, "frommm", like that. Possibly with a bemused eye squint.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO8EpfyCG2Y

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Oh god, I have done stupid stuff like that to but nowhere near as bad!

A Big Issue seller in town I didn't recognize. "Where are you from?" I asked expecting him to say Syria - we'd just had several Syrian refugees move into our county. He said "Newport". LOL. Bought me up sharp (I mean internally, WTF was I thinking!)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

What's doubly weird is that, to me, is prime horsefucker brain. Like I have no idea where my family is from, I was born less than five miles away, that's it. Having detailed records like the pedigree on a german shepherd is loving weird to me and a vice of the upper classes.

I guess I get it, in the sense that literally everything they have in the world derives from that pedigree. Not in the sense that you should hand it to them. The only thing you should hand to them is a pile of white dogshit

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

smellmycheese posted:

It’s the “I spent time in France (skiing or shooting boars) and I’m still bloody English!!!!” that really does it for me

There is nothing more British than the house of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, the fount of all British legality and, in a sense, Britishness itself.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 30, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Failed Imagineer posted:

The only thing you should hand to them is a pile of white dogshit

can't get it anymore tho

wokes cancelled it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lewis Hamilton just put out a Monster Energy drink and its peach flavoured, this is a game changer

Lewis is a good lad so this is thread relevant

KittenCaboodle
Jan 16, 2014

Fun Shoe

How dense do you have to be not to get the message when you're given that many massive glaring off ramps :cripes:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think it's not getting the message, it's rejecting the premise of the message.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Guavanaut posted:

Stonehenge is made of nine 11s :aaaaa:

Nah there's some pis in there too π π π

smellmycheese posted:

Oh that's what that bit was about! I couldn't figure why the hell that bizarre non-sequitur was in there....

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

OwlFancier posted:

Like I have no idea where my family is from, I was born less than five miles away, that's it. Having detailed records like the pedigree on a german shepherd is loving weird to me and a vice of the upper classes.

There are plentiful records for practically every family going back to the 1841 census. It's before that most families disappear, or at least can't be distinguished from each other in baptismal records because every third man was a William.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh dear me posted:

There are plentiful records for practically every family going back to the 1841 census. It's before that most families disappear, or at least can't be distinguished from each other in baptismal records because every third man was a William.

I still think the obsession that upper crust types, and americans, have with it is frankly perverse. It makes very little difference to me what some distant ancestor of mine was doing other than to the degree it has produced me where I am, and I am already aware of the fact that I am here.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

Lewis Hamilton just put out a Monster Energy drink and its peach flavoured, this is a game changer

Lewis is a good lad so this is thread relevant

Wasn't that already a thing? I haven't seen it in a bit but pre-COVID I'm sure there was Lewis Monster to go along with the Valentino Rossi Monster (which is really nice)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I still think the obsession that upper crust types, and americans, have with it is frankly perverse. It makes very little difference to me what some distant ancestor of mine was doing other than to the degree it has produced me where I am, and I am already aware of the fact that I am here.

When I was maybe 11 or 12 there was an afternoon where instead of going to my grandparents we went to some public hall, because it was a "Family reunion" but not any sort of definition of family you or I would recognise. There were people who'd come to Inverness from Canada, the US, Australia, I think even a South African for this. There was a massively family tree that stretched across an entire wall of this hall, & I don't really remember any details except that shock horror, my dad's dad's side of the family are teuchters. I think it went back to before the Act of Union, mid-17th century, everyone there was related to one MacKenzie (not my surname or that of any close family member so I don't mind saying it, & by close I'm talking about within 4 generations. 5 now I guess my cousin has had a kid) from somewhere up near Muir of Ord.

I think it's the sort of thing that's vaguely interesting, if there was another one I'd go so long as it was within 10 miles of my home, can't see me travelling further than that though. It confirmed my suspicions that my family are Highlanders almost to the point of parody. I think the lone exception is my mum's mum's mum who somehow was from North Berwick, everyone else was either from Skye or the west coast of Scotland on that side of the family & my dad's side are just Inverness & eastern Ross-shire.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

forkboy84 posted:

Wasn't that already a thing? I haven't seen it in a bit but pre-COVID I'm sure there was Lewis Monster to go along with the Valentino Rossi Monster (which is really nice)

Maybe it's been out a while but has only just hit Bristol

Ultra Rosa is still goated though

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I started a family tree on the Ancestry site (free trial to get a referral on OhMyDosh) and now I have a cousin of my Dad messaging me with interesting things about the family. I know very little about my family and Dad doesn't really share any stories, so it is on one hand very interesting and on the other a bit of a pain, because I don't want to be rude and ignore them for months on end, like proper family.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I did the ancestry thing because I wanted to know if I was a secret viking. But it basically says I'm mostly from the Midlands + Western Europe with a few bits & bobs from all over Europe & Middle East. Every now and then they update it as more and more people are doing and at one point it (or one of the other sites - you can import the raw data from ancestry into other sites with different databases) pinpointed a specific village in Norway - haven't checked for a while so not sure if that's still the case.

A couple of relations are doing them and I get notifications that I have DNA matches which almost all turn out to be 3rd-5th cousins and I've concluded the whole UK is probably 3rd-5th cousins and you probably don't have to go much further to get the whole world as a relative.

My sister's quite into it and she's gone back to 16th C I think.
One side of my relatives are mormons so they're heavily into it.

Also, if I die in a horrible way, I can be identified

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think the more acceptable way of asking is what their ethnic heritage is? Even then I can't think of many situations where it's appropriate to be the white one bringing it up.

Like I was talking with a black friend many years ago and he brought up the subject of chicken and rice, and started talking about his mum's attitudes towards food, so i asked something like "oh, what heritage does that come from?" and we had a lovely chat, him telling me about the cultural things that made their way into his upbringing.

But yeah, I'm scratching my head trying to come up with valid situations where it's OK to ask someone why they look not-white, even if you word it nicely. Like census taking or if they brought it up, but asking the head of a charity who's do you're at where he's 'from' is not making that list.

Reminds me of that bit in Disco Elysium where the racist truck driver says 'welcome to Revachol' to Kim, and then Kim explains the concept of dogwhistles and why he told him to gently caress off.