Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Necrothatcher posted:

also did Punished Corbyn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Grammarchist posted:

So this whole time British Politics has been one big game of Werewolf and all the human players have lynched themselves?

it's just a big game of russian roulette and there are red faced simpletons chortling as they thumb more bullets into the cylinder.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

It's just one monster after another and the best case scenario is that somehow a flavourless neoliberal stooge is voted in and does nothing of consequence.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Mebh posted:

Don't lose hope goons. There are good places and good people

yeah but not in the UK

edit: sorry, sorry, watching another actively malicious group of cunts gleefully take control of the sinking ship has not put me in a great place this week.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 7, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

the UK going full fash would be the least surprising result of a total collapse

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I'm sympathetic to anyone who views this as a historical moment, the end of the Second Elizabethan Era and just wants to be part of that history.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Microplastics posted:

there's been some chat recently about winter-proofing your home, given the absurd energy prices we're facing. One of the blogs i read has a particularly comprehensive post about things we can do to save energy, thought the thread might find it useful:

https://www.ecosophia.net/before-winter-comes/

(the advice starts after a little rant about western energy policy)

This guy REALLY loving hates renewables, holy poo poo.

Like, he's not wrong about some of the issues surrounding them but you can feel the hate dripping off every sentence when he's forced to talk about them.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I'm really tired, what's the loving point

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

HopperUK posted:

we don't actually know what's coming down the pipe.

In the medium-long term, it's massive unrest due to climate change collapsing vital food chains. Since the natural state of the UK is "polite fascism", this won't end well.
In the short term, nothing good because FPTP and an actively malicious media environment has ensured that the two viable political parties are "Tories" and "Tories in a slightly different suit".

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Going to recommend Politics at a Distance from the State again.

L'État, c'est mal.

I'll check it out. I'm real fuckin sceptical of anarchists but gently caress it, I'll take what I can get at this stage.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Is there no constituitional comebacks for a reckless cabinet that actibely fucks everyone over?

Are you seriously asking if Tories will ever experience consequences for their actions? of course not

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

We're midway through the process of buying a larger house and I have no loving idea what to do tbh, the current mortgage is going to be transferred over then remortgaged in.. I want to say May? But the buyers of our current place have gone quiet and I'm watching the interest rates skyrocket and gently caress me, maybe we should just pull out

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

the buyers of our current place have gone quiet and I'm watching the interest rates skyrocket and gently caress me, maybe we should just pull out

notaspy posted:

If the chain is going to collapse make sure it's because of someone else.

Got word that the buyers have pulled out, I think we're going to do the same :smith:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

Sorry dude, that sucks.

notaspy posted:

Sorry man, I had my house sale collapse twice, there is £10k I'm never getting back

Thanks. We're in an extremely privileged position to even be able to think about buying a larger house anyway, and staying in a smaller one when energy prices are going crazy is probably not a bad move overall.

Ash to me your posts come across as more manic than anything else, like you burst into the thread swinging at opponents that simply aren't there. Like, what do you want us to do? Who's voting Tory in this thread? Who's not blaming Westminster for absolutely ratfucking everyone they can? Your anger is justified but why does it seem to be directed at people who for the most part agree with you?

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 30, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Dabir posted:

Good things don't become bad because NATO is doing them.

No you see, because the West has an absolute monopoly on violent imperialism therefore :words: anyway thoughts and prayers

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/boring_as_heck/status/604761050857095168?s=20&t=KjVVeC-4Lm8zQ6htn-qWeQ

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

what's this from?

OwlFancier posted:

I was wondering that too, the lass in the fishnets looks very kate beatonesque.

Steeple is very good, but imo Allison's best work is Giant Days, which is a slice-of-life comedy about three friends at Sheffield Uni. It's got a slightly Spaced vibe about it, in that situations get exaggerated to an extreme but are ultimately mundane.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

let's have some Chaos With Ed Miliband

Let the Party Burn

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Suggest "the Bors cycle" for the first one in honour of the OG

isn't that when you side with Lancelot after his infidelity has been exposed?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Missed this one from war christmas

https://twitter.com/Warhammer_Art/status/1591007835780939781

I love the way they parody fascism and martial fetishism, right?

Worth noting this isn't their main social twitter, looks like a company licensed to print artbooks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Proportional representation is not a panacea either. The Tories are plenty able to do horrid poo poo with 40% of the vote and coalition partners as much as a majority. 2010-2015 proved that, it's probably the most competently evil they've been.

It's not but it's still far better than the alternative. There's also a risk that smaller parties have outsized influence due to playing kingmaker but there's also much more instability/churn in them since voting for them is no longer throwing your vote away, so they can be viable alternatives.

Sadly, it would mean UKIP having seats in parliament.