Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
https://twitter.com/TLDRNewsUK/status/1565304427027636227?t=yjNCb23nu4EjeM98S_i-og&s=19

That's going to be a stunning first day on the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

sebzilla posted:

As someone who grew up in the 90s with a name that sounds not entirely dissimilar to the word, I can confirm this.

It's the same thing with every word for mentally disabled people, they come up with a term, people use it as an insult, then they have to change the term.
Repeat every 20 years or so.

EDIT - this is all covered above. durr.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 2, 2022

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

sebzilla posted:

Some belters in this word cloud

https://twitter.com/PeoplePolling/status/1565639045568516098?s=20&t=PgjG82V67RAiN-PSRGAbww

Nearly at the promised 20 points though

When your voting against something rather than for it....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Diet Crack posted:

This can't be real, C**t isn't present

It's on the liz Truss one....

https://twitter.com/PeoplePolling/status/1563091743188598784

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

My (Tory party member) father in law reduced my wife to tears when she said we were thinking about getting solar panels. He hates green energy, but is well up for nuclear.
Apparently they are noisy!
The battery won't last the whole day, so whats the point?
The quotes we mentioned were a lot more than he had heard!

God why won't the spiteful man die yet?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Tomberforce posted:

Solar and battery provides about 97% of our home power and it's news to me that they're noisy? Inverter fan is audible when it's at max power but hardly noisy.

He worked with the industrial ones over ten years ago.
He's also clutching at straws.

bessantj posted:

Reduced to tears? I think I'd burst out laughing.

You've not had your whole life being basically emotionally abused by the man. One GP actually called it borderline abuse when my wife was explaining a few long term medical things. (She fell off a horse and damaged her spine, but was never taken to hospital)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Mebh posted:

My point really is that Starmer has lied and misled a shitload. Faced with coalition or hung parliament I do wonder if their desire for power might supersede the rest.

Of course that assumes they have any shred of competency and even want to be in power.

In think the whole "no collations" is an election ploy - people are more likely to vote for you if they want a government.
Then when that fails, you can just be "Well, it's this or the Tories"
Then promise an indy ref that needs to be 80% of every man woman and child living in Scotland plus every Englishperson within an hours drive of the border.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We just had a little bit of workplace improve

Boris Johnson meets the queen.
"Your majesty, I have come to tender my resignation as prime minister"
"One accepts."
Boris turns to go, only to find the way barred by a group of soldiers in dress uniform.
"One regrets one is to frail to administer a beating, but one has no shortage of subjects willing to do it for one."
"You can't do this!" screams Bojo as he's dragged before the throne.
"One is the Queen, and one will be dead soon. One can do what she wishes!"

Muffled sounds of a drat good thrashing.

"Don't neglect the johnson. One wants to seem him squirm."

Slightly higher pitched screams.

Then there was a lot of grumbling about Truss.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Diet Crack posted:

If anything she probably invited him for tea, crumpets and some noncery. You can't trust anyone who serves cucumber sandwiches.

Apparently she hates him, which is what started the conversation.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Reveilled posted:

BREAKING: Pictures show figurehead of the British Regime, not seen in public since July, to still be alive. After meeting with the state's tribal chief and high priestess, Elizabeth Truss--the new de facto ruler of the troubled state--returns to the true seat of power to begin the task of appointing loyalists to serve in her new junta.

I've always loved the reports that flip the tables of the normal reporting.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Looks like the BBC are doing a retrospective on the queens wild sex life....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/ElunedAnderson/status/1568925578220261376?t=ge2YRAs7Ok9WzFh4mN4S7A&s=19

Curly Larry and Mo

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/TLDRNewsUK/status/1569037121125756929?t=IpaywbwMruSHSxEnHxuaaw&s=19

The corgis suddenly wish the other meme about the guard offing them so they won't outlive the queen was true.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

So the worst thing about this is my inlaws want to come down from Yorkshire to Oxfordshire to watch it with us on TV.

YOU OWN A TV.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Also a healthy does of mental tricks of perception.

Yeah, they are wearing what we consider to be old peoples cloths, with old fashioned hair cuts. which ages them in our eyes.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

You want Nutella or peanut butter to bait your traps - They go mad for it. Chocolate is not good for them however. Condensed milk also works, and weirdly yazoo strawberry milkshake.

Source: 20 bloody years working with lab mice/30 owning a cat. Peanut butter has yet to fail overnight at work or at home.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Those read like someone accidently tweeted the prompts they put into their AI art program to get the picture for their bot.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I feel like I'm going to be very grateful over the next few years that we locked ours in a 2.85% for the next 10 years (of an 11 year mortgage).
The BOE interest rate is now .1% below that!

A quick google says we'd be paying an extra £100 a month to get the same deal now.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Jakabite posted:

Anyway what’s everyone doing this weekend. I’m going on a date with a sexy man then going on a big walk up Snowdon

Trying to get into london via rail to see the Jurrassic World expadition with the lad.

This was booked months ago, and was fine until Lizzy karked it and they moved the rail strike. trains are running, but I'm worried about actually getting on them!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

He'll, I stream to 6-10 people, and they get me.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Rarity posted:

Also they've been giving out chest binders and this is Female Genital Mutilation

When even the cops think you're too fash

TBF, if they use their normal tactics on this protest, they will spark a full blown riot right next to the bulk of the governing party. That's how civil wars start.

This is no peacful protest made up of only women, someone might fight back!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

stev posted:

This is even worse than all of them just being tories.

They were a manufactured band, put together to make money - it was a job not friendship.
I certainly don't get on with everyone at my job.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

BalloonFish posted:

Sadly oh-so predictable. Cleese really is one of the stand-out cases of "I was an angry boundary-pusher when I was in my 20s, and now I'm in my 80s [!] I can't accept that my views have been left behind."

20'/30's - I'm pushing socity to a better place.
40/50's - I have helped make the world a better place.
60s+ - TO FAR! YOU HAVE CROSSED MY PERSONAL BOUNDRIES!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Rarity posted:

If this is the timescale then the world's gonna have to get way better way fast

Only if you are rich and/or infuentual. The rest of use are stuffed.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Only Kindness posted:

Well, she promised to hit the ground, did she not?

PROMISES MADE
PROMISES KEPT

We all thought she was being stupid and forgot to say "running", but she sure showed us!

I'm not sure what will be worse for the Tories, a General election now, or a switch to a third PM of the year - sure some people will swing back to voting for them, but every time they screw up, less an less people are willing to support them.

Their only real option for winning the next election is to go for someone like Penny Moudount (however you spell it ) who they can at least plaster the "new management" title on, rather than Sunak who gets the "Oh god, not this guy again" we've had.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yes.

Next up, Scrooge McDuck!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Tarnop posted:

Updating my UK apocalypse bingo card to include wistful fantasy booking of Theresa May second term

We just needed a fine fairweather PM to get us through a pandemic, war in Ukraine, global recession, global logistics breakdown...

There must be portion of the party missing Cameron, until Brexit he was a mostly scandle free, air of responsibilty Tory, and would have been "great" (for the party) to get through everything apart from Brexit.
Him and May were at least stable enough not to get caught partying during a pandemic or crash the pound in your first week of the job.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

smellmycheese posted:

Tory party press office just published this

Thank you for coming this evening.
No one else did.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Erm, Boss, these numbers say we may not be a government soon, you may want to go beg for your job....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

They have to know how badly Boris would be viewed right? He's the second most hated PM in recent history. The vast majority of every poll say it was right he was sacked, and this lot are thinking about bringing him back?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Puntification posted:

/\/\/\
I have been concerned that sunak's government would be boring and unfunny but this would be very good.

Initially I thought the first tweet was the entirety of the joke and was quite confused what it was supposed to mean.

It's an unforced error, and this early will just cement the idea that this is a continuation of the farce rather than the clean start they hoped to present.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah it's the first 30 days :dadjoke:

Yep, new leader bounce! It may get him to 20 points behind before he slips again.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

If we'd only given her another month she would have speedrun the bit where she shoots herself in a bunker.....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

So what, 8 or so bi elections? When the opposition has 50% in the polls?
What could go wrong?

I would also be amazing for those 8 people to get into the lords and Starmer actually abolish the gravy train.

Fake Edit :
An absolute power play for Liz would be to nominate Rishi and as many of his cabinet as she can to the lords. there are probably laws against it, but when has that stopped the Tories?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Payndz posted:

I was looking at Stoke-on-Trent (where I used to go to uni) on satellite view in Google Maps to see what had changed in the past few decades, and had a "the hell?!?" moment when I saw some colossal buildings - one of them an Amazon - that are probably visible from space.

Stoke has huge amounts of brownfield sites from the collapse of the pottery industry, tons of poorly educated people and is on the M6 an hour from both Birmingham and Manchester.
It basically turning into a giant warehouse, every time I go back to visit my folks another area is now warehouses.