Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

what inspired your username?

I had a shock a few years ago when I realised it was now plausible that I might have been born in '04 and posting online and I would have to clarify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Johnny Mercer has been relieved of his position as Minister for Having a Normal One, but lest anyone question his commitment to the cause:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

It's like imaginary numbers, multiplying a centre-right party with a centre-right party gets you a progressive alliance.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

clear poo water between us and labour

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Anyone know how long the Queen would be at Balmoral in the case where she lies in state there for a while?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

FishBulbia posted:

This is reminding me of when Abe was "alive" in the hospital with no vital signs for 7 hours.

They're certainly not making any serious moves to reassure people that she's not dead.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

smellmycheese posted:

Christ. Brandreth’s arrived

Speaking on the Queen without hesitation, repetition or deviation.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Can we get the UK threads made black and white?

And the Australians whether they like it or not.

I've taken the liberty of forwarding this one to the admins for maximum #respect

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Mega Comrade posted:

You know she had no say in any of that right? The evils of the empire of the last few centuries has nothing to do with our royal family, we would have done all those atrocities regardless.

Actually I think we can say that the evils of the British Empire are directly connected to the British Monarchy? I think it's incredibly easy to say that and really very ridiculous to say otherwise?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Nothingtoseehere posted:

If the Queen had come back from Aden demanding that the empire was awful and Aden should be freed, she would have been ignored. And as the British Empire pulled out of Aden, her demands to stay and keep the british army involved to pacify the country would have similarly been ignored. The British Empire was not controlled by the monarchy, and pretending the Queen is the source of that evil is just sparing the politicians and establishment which did perpetuate the Empire.

Who is "the establishment" here if it doesn't include the Queen and the Royal Family?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

feedmegin posted:

And be abolished two minutes later. That just isn't how our monarchy works.

This is one of those things that's drummed into you as absolutely fundamental to the British state but it's just not true. Can you actually imagine, for instance, Boris Johnson tearfully informing the country that he was severing all ties to the Royals?

quote:

First the newspaper reported that her private lawyer pushed the British government into an amendment that helped hide her wealth in 1973, on a law relating to transparency in companies.

A second set of revelations on Monday alleged that queen's consent had been required on at least 1,062 laws—with Elizabeth's staff pressuring the government for changes to a total of four.

https://www.newsweek.com/queen-elizabeth-accused-lobbying-uk-government-royal-consent-1567864

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

darkwasthenight posted:

I think my favourite bit is that this clearly wasn't an overnight job, so somebody has been storing it somewhere in prep.

That's a rapidly repurposed Platinum Jubilee post box topper.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

https://twitter.com/standardnews/status/1569270901685862403

Got to say, this stuff absolutely boils my piss. Sick country.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Don't even need to click the tweet to know that someone will have photoshopped that in the replies already.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Zero instinct for self-preservation, we love to see it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

If only there was a way to limit entrance to an event other than having everyone who wants to do it stand in one big line. Oh well we'll never know.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Had a gander at the queue down on the South Bank this morning. Pretty dull, not even any people selling Queen memorabilia out of a tray.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

"I can't believe the functions of this literal monarchy aren't more egalitarian!"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Scientastic posted:

How do you close a queue? Are they going to have police at the end of the queue, telling people to gently caress off? What do they plan on doing if people ignore them? Can you be arrested for standing on a street in London? So many queuestions

You need to get a wristband to stand in the queue. Yesterday when I came past they were preventing people from joining the actual end of the queue and making them do a short length of extra queue route that didn't have anyone in it first. And yes, an army of stewards and cops.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Cooking up a contrived "hollow plinth" theory about how they're keeping the Queen safe while she's nominally on display. Think the earthquake bed.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

That's the ticket.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

crispix posted:

i'm really worried that i've still not seen a ladybird since i realised i hadn't seen a ladybird in years a fair while ago

I moved into a new flat at the start of the year and for the first few weeks it was rammed with them. So that's where they've been, my flat.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Tired: Independent Scotland
Wired:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I would absolutely vote for the current labour party if they were led by a cursed suit of armour.

Ser Robert Stong is the sensible leadership this country needs.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

If it's any solace, this government's power to do anything but chip away at the ediface that bears it is likely to be very similar to that of the last two governments. Late and somewhat inadequate responses to crises and little else besides.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Yeah but who's deciding to watch a live funeral on catch-up?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

A regency council of other children seems counterproductive though.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Will Labour whip to abstain, that's the question.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Love that the pamphlet has David Evans' name on it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

It's very efficiently letting people know who you are, to be fair.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

smellmycheese posted:

Who had money on another Tory leadership contest before Xmas?

I've been telling people I didn't expect Truss to last particularly long but I can't say I was expecting this. Very funny that they ran that huge leadership contest with TV debates and pundits and all that and the prize might be getting an Admiral Dönitz-length term.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Bobstar posted:

What's the name of that comic with the small girl with the black spiky hair? She's got a friend with a flat cap I think.

Thanks, Marxism and general questions thread

MMT is when government spend money without feel guilty

Nancy, of banker.bmp fame.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

forkboy84 posted:

I really hope Brittania unchained is on Libgen. I want to read it but would never ever buy it

It's on this dodgy pdf download website.

Weird thoughts.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Ash Crimson posted:

people are dying and this is what you say to me??

You're still posting when you could be laying out granaries.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Darth Walrus posted:

OK, walk me through this. Why is bond yields getting more profitable a sign of economic meltdown, and what mechanism makes them more profitable? Not a section of macroeconomics I'm super versed in.

Apparently it means people are willing to take a loss to get rid of them because they believe the interest rate is going up.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

William Bear posted:

Thanks, IMF.

Thimf.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Hobo posted:

Oh and the thing that’s really comically dumb is that pretty much everyone in every income tax bracket is going to be poorer as a result of all this, so even the premise of people spending more money is just not a thing that will happen. Or indeed the idea that the Tory base will get more money. Which is obvious to seemingly everyone aside Kwarteng.

Have you considered that this might be Britannia Unchained, and therefore good?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This should be pretty funny because Truss clearly thinks these will be podunk nowhere journalists bowled over by getting to talk to the PM, when it's even odds that they're decent journalists frozen out of the london clique whose rear end-kissing she apparently considers insufficient.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

josh04 posted:

This should be pretty funny because Truss clearly thinks these will be podunk nowhere journalists bowled over by getting to talk to the PM, when it's even odds that they're decent journalists frozen out of the london clique whose rear end-kissing she apparently considers insufficient.

lol. lmao.

https://twitter.com/dinosofos/status/1575395660018368514

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

keep punching joe posted:

From media types on Twitter this local radio run happens yearly the week before party conference, and would have been pre booked before any of this poo poo happened.

What's that tweet about how engaging with politics is just repeatedly being told that things no-one has ever heard of are actually the most important national traditions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The walkers hot wing flavour crisps are pretty good. I felt right hacked off when they got rid of the KFC branded ones and immediately replaced them with a different chicken flavour that tasted nothing alike though.