Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

How the gently caress is it September? I'm a month away from 40. Fuuuuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Honestly being over 40 is all right, there's a whole layer of societal expectation that fucks off and you can just be whoever you are

I mean I know you can do that earlier, but it's easier now somehow. I should have listened to the Raggy Dolls earlier in life.

I appreciate the kind words! I'm not fussed about the age. I'm just shocked it's come around so quickly. It was barely yesterday I remember voting for the first time and then the country falling into the endless shitter of the tories.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

They were called Scallies where I went to school in Chester. I assume from scallywag. Looking back on it, was just a bunch of kids with not enough parental support. They were pretty much bottom set in everything due to that and were shat on by the school system so were always in detention.

Kappa slappers were what the girls were called. Man. Kids are poo poo to each other.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Having had to take a lot of taxis this week for various reasons I've had a load of unprompted chats about bills and electricity.

Its fascinating how saying capitalism is the problem gets responses like you are a swivel eyed loon (i wonder if that phrase is ableist now honestly)
But if you say "greed" and "bosses getting huge bonuses" everyone immediately agrees.

The unwillingness to engage with the problem being a system that doesn't just encorage greed but demands it is infuriating. I'm guessing because you can at least see a path to fixing a "bad apple".

If the problem is the whole system and you're a normal worker your options are quite limited other than drinking or joining a union.

In other news someone posted an anonymous question to management about what unions we recognise.

Got word for word the exact lovely response about in x years our people have trusted us to run a good business blahblah, question never been raised. No need to have a third party causing delays, costs and "them and us" which my last company gave convincing us to form an internal council who couldn't be fired instead.

They then tied them up in red tape, forced them to come in and sit in an empty room or be fired til they all quit. Then did massive layoffs

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Honestly the post about unions pisses me off so loving much.

How goddamn hard is it to say something like "We don't have an official union but if you feel you need the backing there is no issue to joining one and we can help you with whatever issues you might have if you'd rather do that, we absolutely support the rights of workers to a fair wage and believe we provide one, but we're always willing to listen and improve""

We are going through the biggest cost of living and "rich vs poor" crisis since the industrial revolution right now, party politics is useless and capitalism is more powerful than ever before controlling peoples wages and lives so the ONLY lever workers have for a fair, guaranteed deal is collective action.

Flat out shooting down even the thought of what unions we SUPPORT. not even about joining one really sends a terrible message and it's the kind of thing you'd only say if unions were anathema to you and you genuinely didn't believe in workers rights, so actually confronting the fuckers about it is just a terrible idea.

I really do like my company, they've treated me far better than anywhere else, but I'm extremely senior and know what I'm doing and am drat near indispensable. I'm still far too loving scared to even mention the word union or be political because the last time I saw people doing that a company, christ the lengths they went to to fire people.

Plus honestly if I started to even rock the boat like here, it's pretty goddamn easy to find out who I am from my posts.

I really hate capitalism and corporations. I just want to make games that are fun.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Umbra Dubium posted:

When you don't want to be quoted making a flat-out lie? Tricky, at the very least.

Yeah that's what it comes down to really. They're full of poo poo and no matter how well they treat us, the second it hits their bottom line we're all in the bread and cheese line.
The fact that they're completely tone-deaf to the fact that people are cottoning onto that en masse right now really says everything you need to know.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

No Tonty Blair, NO!

*thiiiiiings. Can only get betttterrrrrrr*

Mebh
May 10, 2010

crispix posted:

neither does kappa slapper MEBH :mad:

Ka'ah sla'ah!

See! Its language!

Also i think parliament should be chosen by mandatory cheese rolling competition on that steep loving hill. The lords too.

I'd watch that show.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

https://twitter.com/jrmallcock/status/1565732298892480513

:toot:

I'm still impressed how many replies are people just refusing to believe it, or telling them to just raise their prices or fire some staff.

We are quite the boot licking nation.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

They could just buy more energy efficient kettles and then cook their meals in those.

Wallop. Energy crisis. Sorted.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I just can't easily get away from the google ecosystem. I've tried Firefox and brave and i just end up having chrome installed to do various things that fall over in another browser. Then just use chrome for everything. Doesn't help that I have a pixel phone, but the drat thing is Nokia 8210 indestructible and I'm a clutz.

Also having all my passwords stored and able to easily be shared to any device i need is just so goddamn convenient. If worryingly insecure at times.

Yeah it's all stuff i could set up and probably will once the ad blocking goes away, either that or just get a raspberry pi and set up pihole.

One thing i will miss is sponsorblock that youtube vanced comes with optionally. Basically user based tagging that will auto skip sections of videos like intros, sponsored segments, useless guff etc. Really nice quality of life.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

His face just gets bigger and bigger until it consumes us all.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Yeah, anybody ruthless enough to become a figurehead and actually achieve anything against the reins of power in this country will have some poo poo skeletons in their closet. If the stars align and that doesn't happen the media will just make poo poo up anyway.

It's not a tough call honestly. He's a complete poo poo based on the things I've seen. However he's not his organisation. I support the movement but honestly don't give two fucks about the person in all the interviews on telly. I hope they vote him out or he steps down and they just carry on because the message is bang on.

The left infighting over ideological purity is only so poo poo because we drag it loving on and on. Boot him and move on.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Maugrim posted:

Just re-electing the Tories again and again because you believe dogs can be trained not to poo poo on the floor by rubbing their noses in it

Its not even rubbing their noses in it. Its telling someone that doesn't know the person who has the dog that they were seen making GBS threads on the floor and expecting that to have an effect on the dog's behaviour.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Picked a good month to give up alcohol!

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I was tempted to suggest we up sticks and move back to Hamburg recently. Then i saw the property prices.

269k for an attic apartment right by the airport? With no bathroom.

How about 229k for a 0 bedroom (??!) 1 bathroom place even further out.

Or the crowning glory. A 0 bedroom 0 bathroom place (is it a cupboard?) on the 4th floor (remember, no elevators or ac) in the attic for 279k! But you get partial use of the neighbouring attic space for storage. Yay.

I'm gonna just move to chile or something I think.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Do you all reckon that Lab and the SNP would form a coalition under the terms of allowing a referendum? Or that the lib dems would do their usual poison the well tactics by saying they're in second place and refuse to grasp at the reins in favour of being as poo poo as possible.

More likely I guess that Keith tries to compete for the angry red men crowd and loses.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

My point really is that Starmer has lied and misled a shitload. Faced with coalition or hung parliament I do wonder if their desire for power might supersede the rest.

Of course that assumes they have any shred of competency and even want to be in power.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I'm in germany and the shops are full, everyone is wearing masks on public transport as its just the norm and I sat with some friends by the Alster and drank beer looking at the water with lots of strangers on various seats. It was lovely.

Hardly a perfect place, but it reminds me to take a step back and stop spiralling over how poo poo the uk govt is as it continues to find new depths to bust through.

Don't lose hope goons. There are good places and good people and with solidarity we'll get through this.

Ps. Join a union.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1567929527413637123

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Stuck in a hire car home as we missed our train and the driver has had capital uk on at insane volume the whole way. Its just been queen queen queeny queen sad poo poo music the whole trip and I'm about ready to gnaw my arm off.

I just want to be home and hug my cats. Germany was nice and I ate way too much amazing bread.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

thats not a hire car it taxi?

What do you call a car you hire with a bloke to drive it for you but long distances? I don't know! I bike.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Times:

I absolutely thought that was a gaping arsehole in the Union Jack before I maximised it and was very amused.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

You grind that hair up and snort it and you will become immortal, king bits can do that I heard.

I'm waiting for the fast and furious style motorway heist involving that glass coronation wagon, rocket boosters on a giant metal corgi and that massive lad pulling a chinook out of the air attached to a chain.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

happyhippy posted:

My company allows us to send personal mail to them, as Ireland's post is loving atrocious.
So a flurry of Amazon things arrive as you expect.
Someone tried to get a fridge AND skirting boards delivered the same day, poo poo wouldn't even fit into the lift.

Most of the workload of the receptionists at our company before the pandemic was managing the ever increasing pile of delivery boxes. Kinda weird to think that will never really be a thing again or that I will never be in a full office on a regular basis.

Honestly just surreal.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Interesting that my constituency is the 7th most anti royal place in the UK but is entirely filled with land rover driving 2.4 children families building extensions and shouting about youths in hoodies being up to no good.

Sheffield :allears:

Also my ceo announced a mandatory camera on policy for all meetings at work today across the entire company. So thats a fun thing. "it has come to our attention that some individuals are not using their webcams" fucksake. Is it 2020? This was objectively disproven to help anyone and is a massive fatigue contributor.

Gotta get folks in to the office to make use of the aeron graveyard by slowly making WFH worse and worse. Yay.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm on hol in Chester and found out today that queen rated the trip to Chester she made with just Meghan in 2018 was one of her highlights for that year

https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/news/chester-cheshire-news/queen-picks-chester-visit-meghan-15628744.amp

There are megatons of anti-Meghan posts on twitter all slagging her off for holding Harry's hand banging on about royal protocol even when it seems they are completely wrong about that given H & M resigned their royalships.

I thought after the British public turned against the Queen for trying to stick to protocol after Di's death that even if it were protocol people would be in support of breaking it in times like this.. oh I forgot. Meghan is a bit brown

Chester is quite nice to be fair. I grew up and went to high-school there. Used to live right in the centre of town inside Northgate Street. We sold our house to the Pied Bull and they extended their inn rooms into it and built a beer garden.

After years of Tory shite right after I left, it flipped labour. Often wonder how its doing.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Problem is hot water. I wish solar water heating wasnt so utterly poo poo for taking a hot shower unless it's summer.

I do not have a dog but here is my best friend's doggo, Milo. He's happy!

Bonus catte:

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Its gotta be intentional right? They're knackering the pound as all their assets are measured in dollars?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Haha that Paul Merton. He's so funny. Parrot on a trampoline. Hahahahahaha.

gently caress.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

God save the cringe.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Oh good, in this time of crisis its nice that the media is telling us some individuals are ok. I mean as long as we're not ALL hosed it's fine right? I guess we all just need to pull up our bootstraps and work harder like our betters did in the 60s and 70s.

- literally every conversation on radio 4 right now (i have it on in the conservatory for my cats and i walk in to get milk from the fridge and constantly come away angry... )

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Microplastics posted:

Your fridge is in the conservatory? In summer??

Yeah? It's a fridge and it's fine? (conservatory has a proper roof so it's pretty OK, but does get a little toasty at times)

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Huh, it was fine over summer and the heatwave even though it definitely got above 45. The internal temp didn't waver. Its a socking great big, silver floor to ceiling fridge tho from Spain. Guess I'll keep dig out the user manual and see if they have guidelines

Mebh
May 10, 2010

TACD posted:

When’s the last time they tried to blame things on “the last Labour government”? Whatever happened to the classics?

Late August I think. Shaun Bailey said the cost of living crisis was all Brown's fault.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

"Why are you hitting yourself UK people? Stop hitting yourself!" The government says.

"Well if you're going to keep being so irresponsible we'll just take away all these nice things"

Its just so transparent and lovely and yet still people are warbling about bootstraps and others getting a 'free ride' and all the old poo poo about scroungers and yooves, benefit cheats and foreigners while the rich just laugh and pour liquidised horses into their bellies with a hose.

Just loving insane. I know we like the boot as a nation but come the gently caress on.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

fuctifino posted:

I don't know where I'm going with this, except to say DON'T ACCIDENTLY VAPE SATIVA AT MIDNIGHT

Been there...

Also covid booster is hitting hard as hell, one of my cats has cancer and the pet insurance company is refusing to cover it because they're cunts, i spent all day smoking meat and it was so cathartic and my friends loved the burnt ends so much they're taking me to costco to buy the ingreds and do it again tomorrow.

I also have a job interview with the ceo of my company for a senior management position jumping 3 tiers in the company. I do the job already, the skillset is rare and I'm quite popular, yet as good things can't happen even if i bust my rear end with prep and it goes well I'm pretty sure I won't get it.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Can we use the souls of the damned to create ghost flames so we can keep the chippies running? My local is closing due to energy price hikes as he refuses to raise his prices as "who would pay 6 quid for a fish?"

Mebh
May 10, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

£6 for a fish is pretty good tbh, it's about a tenner for the whole meal everywhere now.

It really is... His are 5 pounds and the best about too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

This time, this time the Tories have gone too far. They'll surely fold up as a party.

*next election*

Ah, well. Nevertheless.