Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

HopperUK posted:

I watched In the Loop for the first time in a while last night and it kinda feels like a beautiful fantasy nowadays.

Malcolm and Jamie are definitely boyfriends

The Thick of It in general is absolutely a lunatic fantasy. It's an alternate universe the press are determined to do their jobs and only the most furious, terrifying man alive can keep them from bringing down the goverment for a laugh. They even go after Tories!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OzyMandrill posted:

That's.. er.. that's the special necklace isn't it?

yep and her shirt is specifically designed to draw your eye to it

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Exhibitionism

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

josh04 posted:

Avizandum is probably an aggro dumbass and I've never listened to Trashfuture. It's just funny that this particular piece of Internet lore hinges entirely on one party unquestionably being The Good Landlord.

I mean, not really? It more hinges on the idea of people being entitled to throw attempted rapists out of their home, whether they're landlords or not.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

josh04 posted:

Should women be able to eject rapists from their home? Obviously yes. Is this a defense of the moral quality of being a landlord? I don't think that's obvious at all. Avizandum was mocking someone for being a landlord and refused to compromise on that notion. Was she also a huge dickhead about it? Probably, I don't care. But it's clearly some ridiculous twitter bickering that's been rewritten in an outrageously leading fashion that would make a daily mail headline blush, and there's something very unseemly about the way these anonymised lists of past transgressions form and attach themselves to women, particularly trans women.

Oh get over yourself, anyone with this kind of history would have people bringing it up a lot. I feel like most of them wouldn't still be on two separate leftist podcasts after that poo poo, though.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah no poo poo, what's your point?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

If you're on android just download youtube vanced

Bing bong so simple, now you have youtube with no ads, plays with the screen off, plays in windowed mode, etc

Got killed a while ago and ReVanced is only slowly catching up, it's still at the "you must download the source code from github and compile it yourself" stage

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Starmer is a contemptible worm. He sickens me.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He keeps saying "many of our international competitors", like who? Russia? Somalia? North Korea?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Joe Biden is the representative of a party that still permits leftists to exist. Keir Starmer is the leader of a party that ruthlessly stamps them out wherever it finds them. Biden was open to being pushed left, Starmer's Labour is not.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I believe that Biden believes in doing good for people, has bad ideas about how to do it, but is open to being pushed in the right direction. I do not believe that Starmer believes in anything other than crackdowns and cops.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Nobody said Biden was good, but he is getting some good things done. Which is a hundred times more than would be done under Trump.

Will Starmer be bad and implement awful policies? Yeah, but I also imagine some policies will have positive outcomes and he'll reverse some of the turbofucking the tories are carrying out.

Imagination is a wonderful thing

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

I'm not starting from a position where Starmer is anywhere to the left of the Tories.

I am simply arguing that he's more competent than the current Tory government which is so terrible that it is pissing off huge portions of its own supporters with policies that are tremendously stupid for everyone from poor to the rich. And simple competence is enough to stop a lot of vulnerable people from starving or freezing.

Oh so he's going to do evil things but people will like them more, and that's an improvement

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/spaceysoupy/status/1580977302720028673

And there it is. The soup slingers are taking donations - in crypto - despite being backed and run by billionaires. It's a grift even if it's not an op.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Ahh that dude can gently caress off.

Aileen Getty is a long time AIDS campaigner and was for years before she discovered she was HIV positive herself. She runs several charitable foundations but we all know why he’s calling her “controversial”.

Do we?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Kinda shows how hosed our society has become when people can act like that without feeling embarrassed.

There's a guy walking around Birmingham city centre in full Jimmy Saville costume with at least two mates. Shame left the building a long time ago.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ok so I can see a couple of flaws with this one,

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Spreadsheets are pretty useful but I can't help feeling like they've done more harm than good from people thinking they can use them as databases

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The thing about the rich is that there's so few of them that giving them money they don't need doesn't actually waste more than means testing would cost, and they're so rich that they're not going to do anything with that money that they weren't already doing. And having a means testing system at all, rather than making things universal on principle, inherently divides people into 'deserving' and 'undeserving', which, as we've seen, is a screw the right wing love turning to squash more and more people out of the 'deserving' category whether it's justified or not.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Named ranges are absolute magic for spreadsheets. They make formulae so much more readable and easy to alter.

E: Although they are just reinventing variables for a system that previously relied entirely on direct pointers to memory.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Halisnacks posted:

My posts are like 80% hating the Tories and 20% arguing Starmer’s Labour will be better than the Tories, while acknowledging that Starmer is still poo poo.

I’ll shut up about the latter as it’s not a productive discussion here, but I don’t think asking how a lower proportion of public spending can end up in the rich’s bank accounts should be off limits. Yes, the answer ought to be “higher and more progressive taxes”; but under the Tories that answer is not available to us.

Under the Tories nothing we want is available to us. If your plan starts with "assume the Tories are still in power, but we can get them to" then it's inherently a wild fantasy. Why not fantasise that they're not instead?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

Great until you have around 200 of them all with really similar names because you are lazy as poo poo, and you need to keep referring back to check what cells have been defined with them.

Then don't... Do that? It's not like the situation you've described is much worse than having to go back and look at what's in what cells because you have a pile of meaningless columns and rows

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

peanut- posted:

Named ranges are spreadsheet crime and make anybody else who has to pick up and interpet/maintain a workbook absolutely hate the author.

Ah yes $C2*H$4+SUM("Sheet13 (Copy)"!A8:D9) so much more readable thank you very much

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Halisnacks posted:

The answer is indeed 0. Would making people who currently pay 45% tax on some of their income (i.e. those who earn >£150K) ineligible for this benefit result in the deaths of vulnerable people? I have a hard time imagining that edge case. But if it exists, okay I will agree it is not worth it.

Computer errors, mistakes in calculation that overlook something or double count something, human error, deliberate malice...

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Halisnacks posted:

But is the logical conclusion that every single benefit should be dispersed to everyone regardless of how high-income and wealthy they are? Should the rich receive universal credit?

I’m open minded to the answer being yes, but it seems suboptimal.

I think this is the problem in your reasoning. You're approaching this like the government's job is to optimise the money numbers in as few operations as possible. It's not. The job of the government is to implement principles.

Set aside the precise numbers and thresholds and think only in terms of principle. We want the following:
- Everyone gets enough to live on, no matter what. This is not negotiable
- Work beyond the minimum should be rewarded, BUT
- If you're taking and sitting on enough wealth that it's damaging society, we take it away with this new thing we invented called "taxes"

You are asking for the following:
- Everyone gets enough to live on, but if we think you don't need it, you shouldn't get anything from us

Do you see the problem with a society that accepts that last idea?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Halisnacks posted:

I agree with you completely, other than I don’t think I’m asking for what you’re suggesting. I want the principles you outlined, but in their absence, I thought a modified version of what you ascribed to me would be better than what we currently have:

- Everyone gets enough to live on, but if you are quantifiably among the richest in our society according to our relatively simple tax code, you should get less from us.

If it’s impossible to operate that in an ethical way (and the thread consensus appears that it is), then I agree we shouldn’t want that.

You added the numbers back in and you don't even see it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I don't think this interpretation holds up, as universal systems result in fewer operations.

This happens to be true, but even if it wasn't, a universal system would be the right thing to do. But what I meant was that it seemed like it was being conceptualised as "x = a + b - c" and the person wanted to simplify it into "x = a + (b-c)" so that instead of money going out then back in, the exactly right amount of money only goes out. Which is a pointless thing to worry about. Like what are we doing here, trying to save rows in banks' database tables?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

In practical day to day terms the main advantage of a database over a spreadsheet is that you can make changes to small bits of it and not cause problems. A spreadsheet is just a file, even if you keep it on a shared drive it won't like two people working on it at once. The best case scenario is that whoever saves the file second overwrites all changes made by the first person, the worst case scenario is the waking nightmare Jaeluni mentioned. Spreadsheet are a data ANALYSIS tool, not a STORAGE tool.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

what’s the point of using the back door if it is also in full view of the press

Exhibitionism

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

FiftySeven posted:

This may be the reality of how it works, but there comes a point at which their party has clearly shown that its not fit to govern anymore, and that was literally months, if not years ago. Continuing on is not only damaging for their party, its damaging for the entire county and they really cant ignore that anymore. General elections have been called for far less than this.

While true and reasonable, have you considered that they don't have to and they don't want to

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Puntification posted:

Labour being gleeful at the return of boris is going to bite them in the arse when he makes starmer eat poo poo on polling day. This is the democrats donating to fascist GOP candidates campaigns situation all over again.

That seems to be working pretty well judging from early polling data.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuWTZ17kH-I

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Ukraine seems to have been fairly consistent for Corbyn: War bad

Yeah but he followed that to: Therefore sending weapons to Ukraine so they can defend themselves from an aggressor bad. It made him look a lot like he'd have preferred Russian tanks peacefully rolling through Kiev within the week.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

As we here in Britain know, a failure to accept reality on the part of leaders a hundred years ago can't possibly have any effect on the modern day.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

namesake posted:

NATO is an aggressive military alliance of the USA and European states allowing them to maintain their hegemony internationally, safe in the knowledge that military threats to their core lands will be crushed by the alliance as a whole. Goals include containment of Russian influence, preserving European influence in north Africa, legitimising USA imperialism anywhere it fancies and others.

Which of those is it doing in Ukraine?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

JoylessJester posted:

I thought I might be able to express some mild concerns about who/how the UK states was given arms as a first resort, without being called a traitorous Putin stooge who lusts for dead Ukrainians. Oh well.

Yeah that's definitely what happened here. You're very good at reading.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If your criticism of NATO is "the things NATO does is bad because NATO is doing them" then that's not criticism, it's blind hatred

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Good things don't become bad because NATO is doing them.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Not So Fast posted:

If they're being done for bad reasons (the breakup of Russia and the eventual monopolisation on world power by the West) then yes, it's bad. NATO isn't defending Ukraine for good reasons. Even if you think Ukraine should win and not get invaded / divided by Russia by force, NATO and other Western institutions like the IMF getting involved are only going to immiserate the working class of Ukraine.

I'm ok with the breakup of the genocidal fascist state that's actively invading its neighbours to steal their land. I didn't realise this was a controversial idea.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Shyrka posted:

Tankie is used by liberals in the same manner as Woke is used by conservatives. Its use as a perjorative outweighs any fixed definition.

Any time I see this explanation, the first thing I think is that the person offering it must get called it a lot.

Tankies are authoritarians whose favourite authoritarian countries are ones with red flags that use the word "workers" in the name of their secret police. The name originally comes from the tankies of the day supporting Stalin sending in the tanks to suppress some rebellion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Oh for goodness sake. I see your rich understanding of politics is matched by an equally deep understanding of history. "Some rebellion". It was the Hungarian revolution & it happened 3 years after Stalin was dead. Khrushchev was firmly in charge in the USSR & it was about 6 months after the speech at the 20th Party Congress that began some form of de-Stalinisation.

Thanks for clarifying all the irrelevant details.

I don't give a gently caress which exact decades-old incident some irrelevant morons jerked themselves raw over a dictator sending in the tanks to crush was the exact origin of the term. The point is that "tankies" refers to the kind of people who jerk themselves raw over dictators sending in the tanks.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 23, 2022